First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
What is overrated? And does it really matter?
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 5/20/11
Recently with fans of big-time shows like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, there has been a lot of talk about which one's better and which are overrated. I think this is mainly due to the ratings of all the shows. I for one don't believe that ratings relate at all to the quality of the shows. In fact, I can say that is the truth because they don't. Some people like a show and others don't. The quality of a show is based on its content, and that's it.

So, why has there been all of this fighting amongst fans of these shows? Heck even non-fans call them that. Well, the ratings have gone down for them recently, and also recently gone by up. And some fans are asking, are these shows overrated? Just to be clear, I HATE, HATE, HATE the word "overrated". Liking a show all depends on opinions. Using the word overrated is lazy criticism. Instead of saying why you like or dislike something by actually critiquing it, you just say it's overrated and roll your eyes. It's cynical and lazy.

Everyone's a critic these days and unfortunately everyone in this country has become extremely lazy and cynical. They can look up close at the Mona Lisa and say "eh" because it's cool to not care about anything. It's cool to be apathetic. The apathy toward art and literature in this country infuriates me. People cannot sit in silence anymore and watch something beautiful without trying to find a flaw in it.

I think of it this way. If you lived in Antarctica and had access to anything else but the DVD's of the aforementioned anime shows, no commercials, no newspapers, no reviews, no internet, no talking to other people online, would they be good shows? They would all have their different qualities to me but I would still love them just the same as I do now. I think that's because, unlike so many other fans, I try not to read reviews or listen to people who bash the show. I'm not one to jump on the hate bandwagon just because everyone else is there. If it's a masterpiece, it's a masterpiece and that's it. Ratings up, ratings down, someone bashing in some other article, doesn't make a difference.
-----

Thoughts? Feedbacks? Corrections? Let's discuss.
135470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/20/11 , edited 5/21/11
Bleach, Naruto or any mass produced series might be overrated because of many things, but they're entertaining nonetheless. That is one side of what anime is meant to be. The other is art. Everyone knows Japanese manga/anime can be artistic. However, I think ratings or rankings are just something fans and viewers use as a guide to what they watch, no more no less. They certainly do not encapsulate how good or bad a show is, they're just used to create a hierarchy. Half the time ratings and people's opinions are simple measurements of popularity, the other half of ratings are just something everyone uses to convey things they can't express well enough in words.
15016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/21/11
Saying something is overrated implies that there's somewhere a standardized way of rating anime, to which we must all comply if we don't want to be going with the big masses, which is in itself ridiculous.

Anime can be good or bad, but it can never be under or overrated, since it is, and probably will always be a popular art, not fine art.
17342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Crapsack World
Offline
Posted 5/21/11 , edited 5/21/11
Different people, different opinions. Some say whte and others say black. Everybody has their own reason why they criticized the show, but sometimes, as the OP surmised, either they are too lazy elaborate the reason why they don't like it or they are just conforming with the non-conformists.

The mainstream and non-mainstream shows that we now watching is nothing more than a pale reflection of our current sense of aestheticism.

52969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/21/11
103959 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/9/11
What is overrated?

Haruhi

eva series

both very very highly overrated animes

both yields mediocre story line, character development is right off the bat and dull *protagonists only*

What I don't get is why people like that crap? do they not have taste for anime or just watch only those anime and a few others.
The Wise Wizard
99871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 7/9/11
Unless someone can provide hard numbers that prove otherwise, stating something is "overrated" is just a way of expressing the opinion, "I think this is more popular than it has a right to be".

As such, it is no more useful than saying you do or don't like something, although it is a way of implying that your opinion matters more than that of others.

So I don't think it matters.
37840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada
Offline
Posted 7/9/11

Everyone's a critic these days and unfortunately everyone in this country has become extremely lazy and cynical. They can look up close at the Mona Lisa and say "eh" because it's cool to not care about anything. It's cool to be apathetic. The apathy toward art and literature in this country infuriates me. People cannot sit in silence anymore and watch something beautiful without trying to find a flaw in it.


Sums it up for me.
Posted 7/9/11 , edited 7/9/11

chrome_mist wrote:

Everyone's a critic these days and unfortunately everyone in this country has become extremely lazy and cynical. They can look up close at the Mona Lisa and say "eh" because it's cool to not care about anything. It's cool to be apathetic. The apathy toward art and literature in this country infuriates me. People cannot sit in silence anymore and watch something beautiful without trying to find a flaw in it.



Like you said, everyone's a critic.
11243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / BC, Canada =P
Offline
Posted 7/9/11

chrome_mist wrote:

Everyone's a critic these days and unfortunately everyone in this country has become extremely lazy and cynical. They can look up close at the Mona Lisa and say "eh" because it's cool to not care about anything. It's cool to be apathetic. The apathy toward art and literature in this country infuriates me. People cannot sit in silence anymore and watch something beautiful without trying to find a flaw in it.


What's wrong with being a critic? You have to balance the yin with yang.

I'm fine with people using the word 'overrated', its only when people can't give CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM on why they dislike the series beyond "lulz the art is ugly, so I hate it" (typically happens with One Piece haters) is what irritates me.

54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 7/9/11

andydono wrote:

What's wrong with being a critic? You have to balance the yin with yang.

I'm fine with people using the word 'overrated', its only when people can't give CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM on why they dislike the series beyond "lulz the art is ugly, so I hate it" (typically happens with One Piece haters) is what irritates me.



Nothing. You can be a critic for all I care but the thing that bothers me is people do so with not much detail on why they dislike something. "If people don't have anything nice to say, then it's better they don't say anything at all." - I'd like to believe this is the right thing to do but obviously it's not. But if you're gonna say some bad things about something you have to be sure you're on point and know what you're saying or else your opinion won't be taken seriously. LOL And yes, this is directed to One Piece haters as well.
103959 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/9/11 , edited 7/9/11

TheAncientOne wrote:

Unless someone can provide hard numbers that prove otherwise, stating something is "overrated" is just a way of expressing the opinion, "I think this is more popular than it has a right to be".

As such, it is no more useful than saying you do or don't like something, although it is a way of implying that your opinion matters more than that of others.

So I don't think it matters.


Whats your point?

If a minor portion of a population also agrees with something is overrated than the idea of something being overrated is overrated because a majority of the people like it.

Saying something is overrated doesn't mean you value your own opinion more than others it is saying that a majority of the people like it more than it should.

herp derp also saying one's opinion is better than others is a sinister plot and portion of a debate/argument


chrome_mist wrote:


andydono wrote:

What's wrong with being a critic? You have to balance the yin with yang.

I'm fine with people using the word 'overrated', its only when people can't give CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM on why they dislike the series beyond "lulz the art is ugly, so I hate it" (typically happens with One Piece haters) is what irritates me.



Nothing. You can be a critic for all I care but the thing that bothers me is people do so with not much detail on why they dislike something. "If people don't have anything nice to say, then it's better they don't say anything at all." - I'd like to believe this is the right thing to do but obviously it's not. But if you're gonna say some bad things about something you have to be sure you're on point and know what you're saying or else your opinion won't be taken seriously. LOL And yes, this is directed to One Piece haters as well.


False, opinions are opinions "I dislike one piece because it has bad art" is a perfect reason to dislike the anime it is part of the graphic aspect of the anime. Why would someone need to state unnecessary comments other than I dislike anime x because it has bad y.

of course this is just a general statement of why someone hates it, I don't see why people can't see a deeper argument other than so and so is just dising the anime.

made of fail.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 7/9/11

AnimeKami wrote:



False, opinions are opinions "I dislike one piece because it has bad art" is a perfect reason to dislike the anime it is part of the graphic aspect of the anime. Why would someone need to state unnecessary comments other than I dislike anime x because it has bad y.

of course this is just a general statement of why someone hates it, I don't see why people can't see a deeper argument other than so and so is just dising the anime.

made of fail.


If that were the case then I have no problem with that. They can say the art is crappy that's their opinion. But that's not what I'm really talking about. What I don't like is when people call an anime "overrated" and not give their reasons why.
103959 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 7/9/11

chrome_mist wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:



False, opinions are opinions "I dislike one piece because it has bad art" is a perfect reason to dislike the anime it is part of the graphic aspect of the anime. Why would someone need to state unnecessary comments other than I dislike anime x because it has bad y.

of course this is just a general statement of why someone hates it, I don't see why people can't see a deeper argument other than so and so is just dising the anime.

made of fail.


If that were the case then I have no problem with that. They can say the art is crappy that's their opinion. But that's not what I'm really talking about. What I don't like is when people call an anime "overrated" and not give their reasons why.


I don't see how overrated would people rage about it.

If an anime is hated by someone it is overrated to them.

The reasons are always general: art, story, w/e there is always the hater the devils advocate.

No one has to justify his or her reason to dislike an anime then call it overrated, the term overrated is simply misinterpreted.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 7/9/11

AnimeKami wrote:

I don't see how overrated would people rage about it.

If an anime is hated by someone it is overrated to them.

The reasons are always general: art, story, w/e there is always the hater the devils advocate.

No one has to justify his or her reason to dislike an anime then call it overrated, the term overrated is simply misinterpreted.


Well like I said, if you want your opinions on a certain anime you hate to be taken seriously, the least you can do is give constructive criticism about it. But seeing not everybody has the time or interest to do so, they just end up using the word "overrated" as an excuse.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.