First  Prev  809  810  811  812  813  814  815  816  817  818  819  820  821  Next  Last
Post Reply Recommend me an Anime! **Read First Post!**
2016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / ¢àccöõn
Offline
Posted 6/16/13
Gantz
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 6/16/13 , edited 6/16/13
So I've fallen in love with the harem/fan service elements of Sekirei.

I've looked around to find recommendations of shows in a similar vein. Unfortunately however, all the recommendations I've come across aren't available on crunchyroll.

So my question is twofold:

1) What shows does crunchyroll offer that are similar to Sekirei?

2) What other LEGITIMATE streaming services offer shows like Freezing, High School DxD, etc. that aren't censored to heck and back?

[edit] Oh yeah, or anything similar to Super Milk Chan.
33770 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/16/13

Insomnist wrote:

Have you made a list on MAL? Just something to consider, that way it's easier to make sure recommendations won't overlap with things you've already seen and to compare them to other similar things you've liked or disliked.

I do have one, but unfortunately I don't update it often. I'm also missing a lot simply from titles I don't remember.

Here it is. I've seen Mushishi and Sword of the Stranger (Movie). You're on the right track though. Thanks for trying at least
16140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 6/16/13
So I have been watching a lot of action animes and I want more.

These are the animes I have watched (and still am watching) and love.
Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Beelzebub (sucks it ends), Fairy Tail, Hitman Reborn, Jo Jo's bizarre adventure, FMA and FMAB, Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate, Death Note and probably more.
Added more

Steins Gates, Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Attack on Titan, Deadman Wonderland, Arata the legend. Mushibugyo, DBZ, Hunter X Hunter (Both series)
Blue Exorcist,

Can anyone recommend some animes I might like? I have watched more than that but I didn't list them/ Can't think off the top of my head. Thanks for the help.

To help narrow things down a bit. This is my favorite type of anime.

I like animes where there is a guy that gets or has some sort of skill. Either a super power or some type of sword skills. I usually enjoy supernatural (Like bleach and Fairy Tail) over realism like Samurai Champloo. I don't mind expanding my anime reach but that would be my favorite. Something where the guy gets stronger each fight or learns something new.
Just good action animes.
Hard to explain.

I also like a guess a different style of anime too. Stuff like Death Note and Steins gate. I enjoyed both of these.

Try to keep the anime reasonable lol.
12337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Small town, Japan
Offline
Posted 6/17/13
Since you said that you have watched other animes than the ones you listed you might have seen these already but a few I would recommend that are compareable to what you have seen already are:

Sword Art Online
Bakemonogatari / Nisemonogatari / Nekomonogatari
Accel World
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
23032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 6/17/13 , edited 6/17/13

furytime wrote:

So I have been watching a lot of action animes and I want more.


For some reason I can't think all that straight this morning but I can recommend you one action anime that you probably haven't seen called Ben-To.

Basically, a guy who had recently moved in goes to buy a half-price box of food at the supermarket and gets knocked out randomly. Eventually, he discovers an entire underground fighting ring revolving around fighting to see who can earn all of the leftover bento boxes once they go half-price.

It sounds really stupid, and probably is, but I loved it. It was by the same people that made JoJo's. The action scenes themselves are really nice and dynamic, and there's lots of use of unconventional weapons, like chopsticks and shopping baskets lol

Perhaps more recommendations later

EDIT: Thought of more.

Medaka Box - Think of this as Haruhi Suzumiya x JoJo's. It actually starts out as a romantic comedy, but goes through a genre-shift at around episode 9 and by the end of the first season is a crazy awesome shounen action series. The entire second season even crazier.

A Certain Magical Index / A Certain Scientific Railgun - Home to the most epic punches outside of One Piece. To be honest, I think Index is a bit silly. There's a flood of exposition all the time to explain the world's crazy rules, and then it still doesn't make sense lol. But I keep finding myself recommending it to people. The characters and the action really make the show, though. Railgun is much more grounded, has a more solid story, still has epic punches, and has a better main character.

Magi - Umm, it's a shounen series with good action scenes, and I liked it. Not much more to say honestly, lol. I suppose I can say is that it's not as silly or as strange as it first appears to be. It also has really nice aesthetics, because it was made by A-1 Pictures. Plus we should get a second season.

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) - This is a gritty shounen/psychological action show with an amazing sense of momentum and an amazing cast of side characters (even thought I hate the MC lol). Nearly a must-see in my opinion.

Problem Children are... - A little 10 episode series about 3 kids with superpowers who are invited to join the Gift Games in an alternate-dimension-sort-of-place. Lots of epicness ensues. You can watch the PV on Crunchyroll to get what I mean.
Nimick 
14068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / Cave
Offline
Posted 6/17/13
All of you need to watch Detective Conan AKA Case Closed
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F
Offline
Posted 6/17/13
I'm looking for recommendations:

My favorites, so far, are Blood+ and Witchblade

I also enjoyed Vandread, Aquarion, Cowboy Bepop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Kitty Grade, Escaflowne and RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne

I did not like Tenchi Muyo or Evangelion (Much to my husband's dismay)

I like anime with action, adventure, sci-fi or fantasy, with strong female characters (although they don't have to be the main character). I like humor but not raunch, and I don't like anything with lots of philosophy or angst.

So, what say you?
28896 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M / My couch, usually
Offline
Posted 6/17/13 , edited 6/17/13

empress8411 wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations:

My favorites, so far, are Blood+ and Witchblade

I also enjoyed Vandread, Aquarion, Cowboy Bepop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Kitty Grade, Escaflowne and RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne

I did not like Tenchi Muyo or Evangelion (Much to my husband's dismay)

I like anime with action, adventure, sci-fi or fantasy, with strong female characters (although they don't have to be the main character). I like humor but not raunch, and I don't like anything with lots of philosophy or angst.

So, what say you?


Black Lagoon, available on Funimation/Hulu and Moribito, available on CR. Also Michiko to Hatchin
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F
Offline
Posted 6/17/13
Asharka,

I enjoyed Moribito, so I know your other recommendations are spot on. Thank you!

16140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 6/18/13

TrueGoober wrote:


furytime wrote:

So I have been watching a lot of action animes and I want more.


For some reason I can't think all that straight this morning but I can recommend you one action anime that you probably haven't seen called Ben-To.

Basically, a guy who had recently moved in goes to buy a half-price box of food at the supermarket and gets knocked out randomly. Eventually, he discovers an entire underground fighting ring revolving around fighting to see who can earn all of the leftover bento boxes once they go half-price.

It sounds really stupid, and probably is, but I loved it. It was by the same people that made JoJo's. The action scenes themselves are really nice and dynamic, and there's lots of use of unconventional weapons, like chopsticks and shopping baskets lol

Perhaps more recommendations later

EDIT: Thought of more.

Medaka Box - Think of this as Haruhi Suzumiya x JoJo's. It actually starts out as a romantic comedy, but goes through a genre-shift at around episode 9 and by the end of the first season is a crazy awesome shounen action series. The entire second season even crazier.

A Certain Magical Index / A Certain Scientific Railgun - Home to the most epic punches outside of One Piece. To be honest, I think Index is a bit silly. There's a flood of exposition all the time to explain the world's crazy rules, and then it still doesn't make sense lol. But I keep finding myself recommending it to people. The characters and the action really make the show, though. Railgun is much more grounded, has a more solid story, still has epic punches, and has a better main character.

Magi - Umm, it's a shounen series with good action scenes, and I liked it. Not much more to say honestly, lol. I suppose I can say is that it's not as silly or as strange as it first appears to be. It also has really nice aesthetics, because it was made by A-1 Pictures. Plus we should get a second season.

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) - This is a gritty shounen/psychological action show with an amazing sense of momentum and an amazing cast of side characters (even thought I hate the MC lol). Nearly a must-see in my opinion.

Problem Children are... - A little 10 episode series about 3 kids with superpowers who are invited to join the Gift Games in an alternate-dimension-sort-of-place. Lots of epicness ensues. You can watch the PV on Crunchyroll to get what I mean.

Thanks man I think I'll check them out

13026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Reno, Nevada
Offline
Posted 6/18/13
Hello Everyone, I am looking for some recommendations on action/shooting/gun fighting anime that is vaguely along the lines of Cowboy Bebop/Trigun/Ghost in the Shell. While I would like things with a more serious style like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop I am not opposed shows that are also more cartoon or fun either.

I am also looking for just generally good OVA's and series' to watch as my anime background is not very extensive. For these I'm looking for something under any genre that everyone should watch. I'm looking to put together a nice list for summer watching but all the 'beginner' anime lists I can find seem to be just the same few series which I've seen. If there is a nice somewhat extensive list of beginner animes somewhere I would love a link to that.

I'm sorry if what I'm looking for recommendations on seems somewhat vague but I'm just looking for a kind of broad spectrum of shows.
Thank you.
23032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 6/18/13 , edited 6/18/13

Cyberoptix wrote:

Hello Everyone, I am looking for some recommendations on action/shooting/gun fighting anime that is vaguely along the lines of Cowboy Bebop/Trigun/Ghost in the Shell. While I would like things with a more serious style like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop I am not opposed shows that are also more cartoon or fun either.

I am also looking for just generally good OVA's and series' to watch as my anime background is not very extensive. For these I'm looking for something under any genre that everyone should watch. I'm looking to put together a nice list for summer watching but all the 'beginner' anime lists I can find seem to be just the same few series which I've seen. If there is a nice somewhat extensive list of beginner animes somewhere I would love a link to that.

I'm sorry if what I'm looking for recommendations on seems somewhat vague but I'm just looking for a kind of broad spectrum of shows.
Thank you.


Another info-bomb in 3... 2... 1...

For the specific type of anime you're looking for, the term would be seinen anime. Seinen means that it is marketed towards males 18 and older. You get grittier and more mature storylines, good stuff. It might be easier to find what you're looking for if you know that term.

As for guns, I can think of Black Lagoon and Jormungand, both of which have to do with a group of underground gun-runners. You can basically call Black Lagoon Guns, Smoking, and Alcohol: The Anime, lol. It's very over the top, but it's very fun. There's also Psycho-Pass, which is a gritty cyberpunk crime drama thing, kinda like Ghost in the Shell... I thought it was competent, but lots of people loved it. There's also Baccano!, which is what would happen if you could imagine Guy Ritchie making an anime. It's a very convoluted and character-driven story revolving around a train heist. I've heard it's great, and it's by the people who made Durarara!!, which you've apparently seen.

Other seinen shows:
Monster - A very, very, very, very highly rated doctor-crime-mystery-psychological drama show. I also haven't seen this one yet, but I'll definitely get around to it. Also, it's getting an HBO adaptation by Guillermo del Toro soon, which is awesome.

Eden of the East - Written by the guy who wrote and directed Ghost in the Shell: SAC. I've heard it was great.

Paranoia Agent - Written by Satoshi Kon, who is a big deal lol. It's a trippy horror mystery, and was very well received.

Bakemonogatari - Think of this as an avant-garde anime. It's a romance-comedy-psychological-mystery-fantasy show with a fair amount of fanservice (and violence occasionally). It took me about 6 episodes to "figure out" what kind of show it was, but I think it's great. Not really a beginner anime, though.

If you can't tell, I've only seen Psycho-Pass and Bakemonogatari out of all of these, lol. Seinen isn't really my forte. Other seinen demographic shows also include romance dramas and shows with lots of naked people in them. Those really aren't my forte lol. But just something to keep in mind if you go and search for other shows.

As for beginner animes:
Sword Art Online (action) - If you haven't seen this, then you need to get on that. 10,000 people get stuck in a virtual-reality MMORPG, where the only means of escape is win-or-die. Kind of unoriginal sounding lol, but very good.

Bleach/Naruto/One Piece/Fairy Tail (long-runner) - Take your pick. Everyone needs a long-running action series to fall back on when they're bored. Plus, once you're familiar enough with one, you can pick up Gintama, which is the long-running action comedy gag series that makes fun of shows like these (it's the funniest show ever btw). I believe the consensus is currently that One Piece is by far the best (but also the hardest to get into), but I imagine they're all good enough if they've made hundreds of episodes of each of them.

Death Note (psychological) - A guy gets a notebook from the demon realm that allows him to kill whomever he wishes. Madness ensues. It's very good, and was hugely popular when it came out.

Baka and Test (comedy) - Romantic comedy with a side of action. Every episode is hilarious. Highly recommended.

K-On! (slice-of-life) - If ever you're in the mood to watch cute girls do cute things, then look no further. We won't judge you, lol. K-On! is like the hallmark of this type of anime, plus it's animated very well.

I got carried away again I hope this helps. Please don't feel obligated to watch everything I recommend lol
9039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/13

Cyberoptix wrote:

Hello Everyone, I am looking for some recommendations on action/shooting/gun fighting anime that is vaguely along the lines of Cowboy Bebop/Trigun/Ghost in the Shell. While I would like things with a more serious style like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop I am not opposed shows that are also more cartoon or fun either.

I am also looking for just generally good OVA's and series' to watch as my anime background is not very extensive. For these I'm looking for something under any genre that everyone should watch. I'm looking to put together a nice list for summer watching but all the 'beginner' anime lists I can find seem to be just the same few series which I've seen. If there is a nice somewhat extensive list of beginner animes somewhere I would love a link to that.

I'm sorry if what I'm looking for recommendations on seems somewhat vague but I'm just looking for a kind of broad spectrum of shows.
Thank you.




I don't know if you are into the "special power" type of action, but Darker Than Black is a really good action series you might enjoy. Black Lagoon is an excellent action/gun fighting series as well that you should really enjoy.
9039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/13 , edited 6/18/13

thedesertkid wrote:

So I've fallen in love with the harem/fan service elements of Sekirei.

I've looked around to find recommendations of shows in a similar vein. Unfortunately however, all the recommendations I've come across aren't available on crunchyroll.

So my question is twofold:

1) What shows does crunchyroll offer that are similar to Sekirei?

2) What other LEGITIMATE streaming services offer shows like Freezing, High School DxD, etc. that aren't censored to heck and back?

[edit] Oh yeah, or anything similar to Super Milk Chan.




if you want some harem/ecchi shows on CR, just go look through their Ecchi category. Demon King Daimo is a decent harem/ecchi/action show. A Bridge to the Starry Skies is a good harem/ecchi show as well. i would strongly reccomend just going into their genre search and check out each of the ecchi shows there to see what piques your interests, a few good ones in there.
First  Prev  809  810  811  812  813  814  815  816  817  818  819  820  821  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.