Remove this ad
First  Prev  813  814  815  816  817  818  819  820  821  822  823  824  825  Next  Last
Post Reply Recommend me an Anime! **Read First Post!**
8266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
So... I started Bakemonogatari. First episode was a bit... odd. Anyways, I'm already on Episode 4 and I think I'm gonna give it a few more episodes, it hasn't hooked me yet so I am unsure of it.
Anyway, because I'm getting ready to drop Attack on Titan(it's gotten old/stale rather quick) I am thinking of starting Clannad since I have heard so much about it, most of it being good things.
I have a few questions, Do I need to watch the first season or does it not matter if I skip it and start with After Story.?
And finally, I was wondering if there is an anime where the main character(or love interest) is a shy girl... I don't know why but even though I didn't really dig the plot and overall feel of "Pet Girl", I did like the fact that she was a shy one. This would be romance driven of course.Good animation is a must.
Thanks for your time
One Punch Mod
41382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Online
Posted 6/25/13

lgfaver wrote:

So... I started Bakemonogatari. First episode was a bit... odd. Anyways, I'm already on Episode 4 and I think I'm gonna give it a few more episodes, it hasn't hooked me yet so I am unsure of it.
Anyway, because I'm getting ready to drop Attack on Titan(it's gotten old/stale rather quick) I am thinking of starting Clannad since I have heard so much about it, most of it being good things.
I have a few questions, Do I need to watch the first season or does it not matter if I skip it and start with After Story.?
And finally, I was wondering if there is an anime where the main character(or love interest) is a shy girl... I don't know why but even though I didn't really dig the plot and overall feel of "Pet Girl", I did like the fact that she was a shy one. This would be romance driven of course.Good animation is a must.
Thanks for your time :)


I love Bakemonogatari, but I think it really isn't for everyone. The visual style is what kept me hooked more than plot or character (though I did enjoy what it did with those too). If you aren't hooked yet, I don't think that any later episode would hook you.

For shy-girl romance, try Kimi ni Todoke
8266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

lorreen wrote:


lgfaver wrote:

So... I started Bakemonogatari. First episode was a bit... odd. Anyways, I'm already on Episode 4 and I think I'm gonna give it a few more episodes, it hasn't hooked me yet so I am unsure of it.
Anyway, because I'm getting ready to drop Attack on Titan(it's gotten old/stale rather quick) I am thinking of starting Clannad since I have heard so much about it, most of it being good things.
I have a few questions, Do I need to watch the first season or does it not matter if I skip it and start with After Story.?
And finally, I was wondering if there is an anime where the main character(or love interest) is a shy girl... I don't know why but even though I didn't really dig the plot and overall feel of "Pet Girl", I did like the fact that she was a shy one. This would be romance driven of course.Good animation is a must.
Thanks for your time :)


I love Bakemonogatari, but I think it really isn't for everyone. The visual style is what kept me hooked more than plot or character (though I did enjoy what it did with those too). If you aren't hooked yet, I don't think that any later episode would hook you.

For shy-girl romance, try Kimi ni Todoke


Thanks, I'll give it a try. As for Bakemonogatari... I don't think I've seen enough episodes to even see any character development, other than the super mean/crazy girl now all of a sudden seems very friendly.
I don't know, if nothing happens in the next two eps, I'll drop it.
17921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

lgfaver wrote:

Thanks, I'll give it a try. As for Bakemonogatari... I don't think I've seen enough episodes to even see any character development, other than the super mean/crazy girl now all of a sudden seems very friendly.
I don't know, if nothing happens in the next two eps, I'll drop it.


Episodes 6 and 7 were the episodes that made me like it, if you need to know. While watching those, I kind of had an epiphany like, "Oohhh, so this is why the show is good." I even dropped it earlier on episode 4 (because the comedic timing was very off-kilter, and by extension so was the whole show lol) before I gave it another chance, so I suppose you're not alone with the feeling you have right now. But perhaps maybe it isn't for everyone...


LewsElessar wrote:

I'm looking for something similar to Sword Art Online. You know: lots of action and fighting, good graphics, romance that doesn't go overboard, and kind of a different take on anime. Got anything for me?


You can try a rather obvious choice in Accel World (on Hulu or Funimation). It was written by the same person and takes place in the same universe as Sword Art Online, so you can even consider it a spin-off or a sequel and try to find some connections.
14171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

lgfaver wrote:

So... I started Bakemonogatari. First episode was a bit... odd. Anyways, I'm already on Episode 4 and I think I'm gonna give it a few more episodes, it hasn't hooked me yet so I am unsure of it.
Anyway, because I'm getting ready to drop Attack on Titan(it's gotten old/stale rather quick) I am thinking of starting Clannad since I have heard so much about it, most of it being good things.
I have a few questions, Do I need to watch the first season or does it not matter if I skip it and start with After Story.?
And finally, I was wondering if there is an anime where the main character(or love interest) is a shy girl... I don't know why but even though I didn't really dig the plot and overall feel of "Pet Girl", I did like the fact that she was a shy one. This would be romance driven of course.Good animation is a must.
Thanks for your time :)


The first show that comes to find for me is Say, "I Love You". Admittedly, I didn't particularly care of this show, but it's a straight shot of shojo - if that's your preference, then you may enjoy it. Simply put, it's a romance between a socially awkward girl and a charismatic guy. I suppose the main character is a dash more misanthropic than shy, but I may be parsing hairs. The art is deftly done.
17324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 6/25/13 , edited 6/25/13

lgfaver wrote:



You can't start Clannad with After Story. Even though the first season is pretty hit or miss, the character development is essential for After Story to work its magic on your tear ducts. If you stick it out for the first ten or so episodes, it gets really good. I don't particularly like a lot of the first arc, but after a rocky start it picks up a lot.

As was stated, Kimi ni Todoke is good for a shy girl romance. The animation isn't great with sort of crude hand drawn backgrounds, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

As was also stated, Say "I love you" is also a good choice. A little bit more melodramatic than I love, but it's pretty solid with a super sweet, shy heroine.

Kotoura-San is also good, though Kotoura is more shy in an extremely moe sort of way :P

HENNEKO – The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat is pretty ridiculous, but the main heroines are shy in comparable ways to Shiina from Pet Girl (I didn't like Pet Girl all that much either).
10477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Alabama
Offline
Posted 6/25/13 , edited 6/25/13
I'm looking for an anime where the main character has a childhood friend who was two faced and used to torture him. Sort of like Ladies Vs. Butlers and Shuffle! (I know Kaede wasn't quite like that, but close enough)
I prefer rom-com but anything is fine really.
23562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/25/13
I could use a good Rom-Com, already working on Ranma and Maison Ikkoku though.

Also any good supernatural series with ghosts, vampires or zombies I should know about?
21673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / Uberwald
Offline
Posted 6/25/13

SonicGenesisKing wrote:

I could use a good Rom-Com, already working on Ranma and Maison Ikkoku though.

Also any good supernatural series with ghosts, vampires or zombies I should know about?


Supernatural: http://www.crunchyroll.com/dusk-maiden-of-amnesia
Vampires: http://www.crunchyroll.com/fortune-arterial
Zombies: Sankarea or Is this a Zombie both on Funi/Hulu
30177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 6/25/13 , edited 6/25/13

SonicGenesisKing wrote:

I could use a good Rom-Com, already working on Ranma and Maison Ikkoku though.

Hm... The Pet Girl of Sakura Hall or Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!.

(Not sure where to stream the second one legally, though).


SonicGenesisKing wrote:

Also any good supernatural series with ghosts, vampires or zombies I should know about?

If you want horror Hellsing Ultimate is about as good as it gets (mostly vampires and ghouls).

If you'd rather a rom-com with a zombie there's always Sankarea. Couple others that are less about horror but still have supernatural elements would be Durarara!! (a bit of an international supernatural mixer), Ao no Exorcist (demons), Blood-C (vampires), and Bakemonogatari (mostly traditional Japanese mythology, but also includes a vampire).
14171 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/26/13 , edited 6/26/13

SonicGenesisKing wrote:

I could use a good Rom-Com, already working on Ranma and Maison Ikkoku though.

Also any good supernatural series with ghosts, vampires or zombies I should know about?


So this show is a romance (sorta) but not a comedy (sorta) - still, it has supernatural stuff, so I figured it might be worth recommending anyway.

There are a couple more reservations I should throw out before wholeheartedly endorsing Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. It's got a rather decent spoonful of 'fan service', although I'm not sure if the show entirely deserves the phrase. Fan service strikes me as sexual material that exists solely to titillate goofy fans; it serves no thematic purpose. That's not entirely the case in this show. All that provocative junk actually makes a lot of sense in Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, because it helps characterize one of the principal characters.

That said, there's a lot of it, probably gratuitously so. This ain't high art.

It's still pretty cool art, though.

Now, if you're looking for rom-com's in general, there are a few titles I'd throw out there without reservation. They are all pretty well known, so I won't bother with massive introductions:

Kare Kano is one of the best rom-com's anime has produced, as it buttresses wonderfully real and endearing characters with often ingenious surrealist art. It's a great offering from Gainax.

Bokura ga Ita is similar to Kare Kano in several ways, and is pretty darn good. I still haven't finished it, and I can't remember for the life of me why I stopped watching it, because all I remember is enjoying it. Who knows. Regardless, it's far more realistic in its art, so if realism is your cup of tea aesthetically, then there ya go.

This show is exponentially less artistically ambitious than Kare Kano, but I mostly enjoyed it, and a lot of people absolutely adore it. If you haven't managed to see Toradora yet, I shove it up to the top few picks. It's a good time that actually ends conclusively, which is probably its greatest achievement.

Have you seen Honey and Clover? There's a classic.

So far I've leaned closer to shojo and josei than their more male equivalents. That's a personal preference - I prefer those genres.

Ah, there's Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl. This is technically a yuri, but in the strangest possible way. This show is a slow burn, and I didn't finish it, but I remember enjoying it by and large, even if my interest ultimately petered out.

I'm a dash embarrassed to say it, but I enjoyed a rather funky show called B Gata H Kei. In a nutshell, it's about a hyper-sexualized girl who is so worried about looking inexperienced during sex that she's never had sex, despite her desperate desire to do so. It's lewd, but I also found it surprisingly emotionally legitimate at times, as it explores the emotions of this confused girl in a curiously sensitive manner.

Maybe it's just me, but I also thought it was funny.
7018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Frisco, TX
Offline
Posted 6/26/13
Can anyone recommend a few shows that would be appropriate for kids under 10 years old?

Thanks!!
18478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Area 11
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

JCurry76 wrote:

Can anyone recommend a few shows that would be appropriate for kids under 10 years old?

Thanks!!



I would check out:

Yotsuba&
Azumanga Daioh
Digimon: Tamers
Revolutionary Girl Utena


There are many other shows that are acceptable for kids under 10, however most of them are painful to sit through once you get any older than that. These however are not only shows I loved as a kid (or manga I loved as a kid that have been recently made into anime), but are also shows that I regularly watch with my younger siblings even now and still enjoy. They are well done enough for me to say that even if they held no nostalgic value at all, I would still like them, and that is saying something considering that most of the shows I normally watch nowadays are nothing like any of these.
21673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / Uberwald
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

JCurry76 wrote:

Can anyone recommend a few shows that would be appropriate for kids under 10 years old?

Thanks!!


At that age, I'd stick with the miyazaki movies...

Kiki's delivery service
Howl's moving castle
My neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away (probably...)
Whisper of the Heart
Castle in the Sky
Arrietty
Ponyo
Porko Rosso
Princess Mononoke

etc...

I'd think twice avout Grave of the Fireflies though. It's very emotional.

For series, they might like Prince of Tennis, Hikaru no Go, Cross Game, and if they are girls, possibly Princess Nine.
7018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Frisco, TX
Offline
Posted 6/26/13

asharka wrote:


JCurry76 wrote:

Can anyone recommend a few shows that would be appropriate for kids under 10 years old?

Thanks!!


At that age, I'd stick with the miyazaki movies...

Kiki's delivery service
Howl's moving castle
My neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away (probably...)
Whisper of the Heart
Castle in the Sky
Arrietty
Ponyo
Porko Rosso
Princess Mononoke

etc...

I'd think twice avout Grave of the Fireflies though. It's very emotional.

For series, they might like Prince of Tennis, Hikaru no Go, Cross Game, and if they are girls, possibly Princess Nine.


We love the Miyazaki films. I think we've seen everyone in the list you provided. I agree about Grave of the Fireflies, that one was very depressing. He loves My Neighbor Totoro. His mom likes to crochet and made him a Totoro, small white rabbit thing, and a soot sprite dolls. I will check out the other series' that you mentioned.
First  Prev  813  814  815  816  817  818  819  820  821  822  823  824  825  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.