First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Ignorance…
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/08 , edited 1/15/08
Well I’m going to go ahead and assume we all already agree that prejudice is ignorant. So, now let us discuss, is ignorance truly engendered by religion? What’s your opinion?
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/15/08
Joined temporarily just to reply to this.

assume we all already agree that prejudice is ignorant

This poor excuse of an 'atheist' group is counterexample enough for your assumption.

Most of the 'atheism' going on around here is what you typically find in teens and college freshmen that think they know what they are talking about. It's ignorance and dogma, just the other way around.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/08
^I was hoping someone would say that!
46535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/15/08 , edited 4/18/08

Suppose that you were correct in assuming that any atheist group was simply as much as result of dogma as a religion


Nope, that's not what I said.


Would that let religion off the hook for any of the problems it has caused?


This is not the question at hand, either in the thread or my post. Again, religion is not the problem, the problem is the cognitive state of mind that dogma creates and when the balance between faith and reason is not correctly monitored. Faith and reason are in a continuum. The problem is our limited mind and its attempts to make sense of reality as a whole because sadly sometimes many relative ideas and concepts are taken as absolutes. It applies to believers as much as non believers because is a condition of human nature.

points 1-4 are exactly what i mean in the last part of previous post.
*yawns*

Give me a discussion on faith, psychological aspects of believers and non believers etc, analyze both sides of the coin both from philosophical points/arguments and theist/atheist views, then you can have an atheist group.

This is just mockery of something that does not coincide with your limited and subjective worldview, which is so overdone is not really interesting.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
Mag, I highly suggest you don't try to match intellect with Mauz. You’re inexorably going to look dumb by the end of it. You can’t even seem to match intellect with me, and I’m flaunting around like an idiot.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
Paragraphs are your friend, my friend. Please indent you text occasionally. Just push enter when the subject changes. Also, please watch the run on sentences. I find you very interesting and I’m trying to read your posts, but they make my eyes glaze.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/08 , edited 4/18/08
Yes, I understand. Just a friendly request.
Member
5245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/17/08 , edited 4/18/08
Sssh! You'll get banned!
Member
175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / o_o For all you k...
Offline
Posted 1/16/08 , edited 4/18/08
I do believe the mod got pwnt.
Posted 1/17/08 , edited 4/18/08

mauz15 wrote:

Joined temporarily just to reply to this.

assume we all already agree that prejudice is ignorant

This poor excuse of an 'atheist' group is counterexample enough for your assumption.

Most of the 'atheism' going on around here is what you typically find in teens and college freshmen that think they know what they are talking about. It's ignorance and dogma, just the other way around.


How about the people who are atheists because they believe that there is no scientific proof of any deity whatsoever? I'm an atheist but it is certainly not because of any rebellious reasons like you are assuming. I just believe that christianity is no different then any other religion when it comes to its credibility. That simple.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/17/08 , edited 4/18/08

HinoKogaChan wrote:

How about the people who are atheists because they believe that there is no scientific proof of any deity whatsoever? I'm an atheist but it is certainly not because of any rebellious reasons like you are assuming. I just believe that christianity is no different then any other religion when it comes to its credibility. That simple.


Well, just so you know, he said -most,- not all. In other-words, he was acknowledging that many people who claim to be atheists really are atheists. What he was pointing out is that most of the younger people who call themselves by that name are simply prejudice children. He’s completely right, -most- are. Just like most young girls who say they’re feminists are actually sexist.

This being said, lack of proof is not a reason to disbelieve. Lack of proof is a reason to be uncertain, to doubt even, but to completely shun the idea as you would have to in order to be an atheist? Lack of proof should create agnostics, not atheists. There have been many things that existed without proof. Ancient Greeks theorized that the world was made up of tiny atoms. They had no way to prove it, but they were right.

Cogito Ergo Sum, I think; therefore, I am.

-Descartes.

In other words, I know I’m real because I can interact with the world via volition, and because I have an active and linear cognitive capability. I do not know, however, that you do. I could have imagined you, created this whole universe. I might be nuts. There is no proof that you exist. But you do, don’t you? Well, answer honestly now! I also know that -I- exist, we all exist, but there’s no proof of that. Still, there’s no reason to believe you don’t exist.

I think what you meant to say is that you don’t believe because you find it scientifically unlikely. That makes sense enough. Still, that should only push you to the level of an agnostic, not an atheist. Unless you believe there is irrevocable proof against God then you shouldn’t be an atheist.

You say you don’t believe things in which like scientific proof? Then you don’t believe -any- part of history. You don’t believe that anyone else in the world really exists. As a matter of fact, you don’t believe anything except math, because there is no proof that there is proof of anything except math because only through math can true proof be discovered!

Posted 1/17/08 , edited 4/18/08
-.- skimmed through all that and misinterpreted it. oops. x[
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/08 , edited 4/18/08
Don't sweat it..
Posted 2/3/08 , edited 4/18/08
Nope its religious people who are ignorant they refuse to see the simple probability that their god exists relative to the probability that a) its a different god other than the one they worship that exists or b) that no god exists at all. Simply put the odds of any one religious belief being right are less than a 1000 to 1 yet they dedicate and waste their lives on it. Idiots.
Member
175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / o_o For all you k...
Offline
Posted 1/19/08 , edited 4/18/08

magnus102 wrote:


SeraphAlford wrote:


HinoKogaChan wrote:

How about the people who are atheists because they believe that there is no scientific proof of any deity whatsoever? I'm an atheist but it is certainly not because of any rebellious reasons like you are assuming. I just believe that christianity is no different then any other religion when it comes to its credibility. That simple.


Well, just so you know, he said -most,- not all. In other-words, he was acknowledging that many people who claim to be atheists really are atheists. What he was pointing out is that most of the younger people who call themselves by that name are simply prejudice children. He’s completely right, -most- are. Just like most young girls who say they’re feminists are actually sexist.

This being said, lack of proof is not a reason to disbelieve. Lack of proof is a reason to be uncertain, to doubt even, but to completely shun the idea as you would have to in order to be an atheist? Lack of proof should create agnostics, not atheists. There have been many things that existed without proof. Ancient Greeks theorized that the world was made up of tiny atoms. They had no way to prove it, but they were right.

Cogito Ergo Sum, I think; therefore, I am.

-Descartes.

In other words, I know I’m real because I can interact with the world via volition, and because I have an active and linear cognitive capability. I do not know, however, that you do. I could have imagined you, created this whole universe. I might be nuts. There is no proof that you exist. But you do, don’t you? Well, answer honestly now! I also know that -I- exist, we all exist, but there’s no proof of that. Still, there’s no reason to believe you don’t exist.

I think what you meant to say is that you don’t believe because you find it scientifically unlikely. That makes sense enough. Still, that should only push you to the level of an agnostic, not an atheist. Unless you believe there is irrevocable proof against God then you shouldn’t be an atheist.

You say you don’t believe things in which like scientific proof? Then you don’t believe -any- part of history. You don’t believe that anyone else in the world really exists. As a matter of fact, you don’t believe anything except math, because there is no proof that there is proof of anything except math because only through math can true proof be discovered!



You should check out this thread http://www.crunchyroll.com/showforumtopic?id=72710&pg=1#6261983



<-- No real post on topic, just reading it.

Went to the link. Too many people posting long posts for me to read all of them, but it is interesting.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.