Scorecard Irritation
46083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
90 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/11
I have been a member for a little over a year at this juncture. I started No.6 1st episode when this little gem of a popup appeared from scorecard. I immediately checked my cookies and low and behold...there was a scorecard cookie. My browser is set to remove all downloaded and temporary files as well as cookies upon exit. At the time of the popup, I had two web sites open. Crunchyroll and one pertaining to Eve online ( a game I play). I checked the forum source for the Eve Online website its not there...by the way, the website is free to use. I pop open the source for crunchyroll and bam!:

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js' %3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>

Guess who the culprit is. I can just stop paying if you'd like. I pay to avoid commericals. I could download illegally, which isn't hard tbh. But I prefer the people who are working in the industry get some sort of payment for their efforts, and I'm sure crunchy has to make some sort of token payment to the creators of the products that I enjoy.

So, I'll make this easy to read.

[b]I pay for commercial free content. Why am I going to pay for content that has pop-ups? I can get that from just about anywhere. (Here's a smiley to make it more obvious)

My account will close at the end of this billing period if I encounter this after 1 week.
jsc315 
28930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / IL
Offline
Posted 7/9/11
I'm confused what are you complaining about and what is the issue at hand?

So your upset about Crunchyroll storing cookies from and ad source? I'm just maybe not understanding what it is your trying to say is wrong here.

Unless you are talking about the annoying eve online banner ad the slows the whole site down. I just block that ad from ever showing up. I'm not sure why it's there since paying members are suppose to no see ads. That is my only guess as to what it is your complaining about. But if that is not it then I'm not sure what to tell you.
46083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
90 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/11 , edited 7/9/11
Oh, no, it's not the Eve-O banner (I went back after exiting my browser and that's when I looked at the sourcecode for the page). Embedded in the source code on the page for the anime No. 6 is the popup for the scorecard survey.

I'm not worried about the cookies from an ad source. Those are removed every time I exit my browser. This snippet of code is embedded in the page directly on crunchyroll. I could copy + paste the code from the entire page, which I did cut and paste a snippet in my first post. I'm unsure if it's an error in the coding on the crunchyroll page that it appeared for a premium subscriber, or if it's a new marketing plan. The popup originated from the crunchyroll webpage (not from any other source). It's not about load time.

I am not complaining about banner ads. Banner ads are not intrusive. A popup appearing that I have to close in order to start the video is intrusive.There was such a popup message on the page. There should not have been a pop-up message on the page. The pop-up code is/was on the crunchy roll No 6 Ep. 1 page when I checked the source code for the page. I have run adaware, spybot search and destroy, and kaspersky antivirus to ensure the popup didn't originate from my pc.


My apologies for not explaining clearly. I do have ad-blocker on my browser.

Fakedit for spelling
The Wise Wizard
99889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 7/9/11

gawodeth wrote:
I am not complaining about banner ads. Banner ads are not intrusive. A popup appearing that I have to close in order to start the video is intrusive.There was such a popup message on the page. There should not have been a pop-up message on the page. The pop-up code is/was on the crunchy roll No 6 Ep. 1 page when I checked the source code for the page. I have run adaware, spybot search and destroy, and kaspersky antivirus to ensure the popup didn't originate from my pc.

From what I could find, you would probably find source code referring to scorecardreseach.com on almost any page at Crunchyroll.

I use NoScript, and on each page I current have open at CR, I checked, and it is listed in the NoScript list (with scripts for it automatically denied, as I have not whitelisted them). Even on the forum page I am composing this on, it is present in the list. Also as expected, the cookie is present on my system, and if deleted, reappears when another page on Crunchyroll is opened.
46083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
90 / M
Offline
Posted 7/11/11

TheAncientOne wrote:


gawodeth wrote:
I am not complaining about banner ads. Banner ads are not intrusive. A popup appearing that I have to close in order to start the video is intrusive.There was such a popup message on the page. There should not have been a pop-up message on the page. The pop-up code is/was on the crunchy roll No 6 Ep. 1 page when I checked the source code for the page. I have run adaware, spybot search and destroy, and kaspersky antivirus to ensure the popup didn't originate from my pc.

From what I could find, you would probably find source code referring to scorecardreseach.com on almost any page at Crunchyroll.

I use NoScript, and on each page I current have open at CR, I checked, and it is listed in the NoScript list (with scripts for it automatically denied, as I have not whitelisted them). Even on the forum page I am composing this on, it is present in the list. Also as expected, the cookie is present on my system, and if deleted, reappears when another page on Crunchyroll is opened.


I suppose mentioning the cookie has drawn focus away from what I view as the problem. The code I mentioned was specifically to identify the fact that the popup originated from crunchy roll and nothing stored on my computer or a different web page. It was to establish the source (pardon the pun) of the popup.

I know the cookies are stored on every page, the problem that I encountered is that by paying for my subscription services, advertisements are supposed to be disabled. I view popups such as the one I encountered as an advertisement. I, and other paying subscribers, should not receive these popups. My main point of concern is that crunchy roll will not view these popups as advertisements and they will be present in every video, which negates the point of me paying for access to avoid advertisements. At no point do I have a problem with the popups and advertisements appearing for nonpaying members, as the company and the anime industry operate off of generating revenue. I, you, and other paying subscribers directly provide revenue for crunchyroll through subscription payments.

I don't honestly care about the cookies. My browser is set to automatically to delete them as soon as I close my browser (as well as persistent storage).

tl;dr (or summary)

1. I pay for an account with crunchyroll
2. By paying for an account, I pay to avoid advertisements
3. I encountered an advertisement in the form of a pop up
4. I (and others) have identified the source of the popup as originating from crunchyroll
5. This is an unacceptable state of affairs as it negates the purpose of me paying for a premium account to avoid advertisements
6. I can get the same quality of subs for free through illegal methods without paying or advertisements, but choose to ensure some sort of financial benefits goes to the website and the creators of the anime by maintaining my subscription.
7. I prefer to maintain my crunchyroll subscription, however will not pay if I have to have advertisements in any form in the video (banners and such are easy to block/ignore).
8. I'm hoping this is an accident, but take a dim view at this juncture towards the entertainment industries willingness to violate our right to privacy, and as such will come out swinging every time I encounter a problem. (This is to explain my general attitude at this juncture towards any media based industry. See ACTA treaty and a recent hr bill that will criminalize someone frapsing or filming a video game they play to post on youtube, your children can and will go to jail, even if the company does not push for the civil litigation.)

The Wise Wizard
99889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 7/11/11

gawodeth wrote:
I suppose mentioning the cookie has drawn focus away from what I view as the problem. The code I mentioned was specifically to identify the fact that the popup originated from crunchy roll and nothing stored on my computer or a different web page. It was to establish the source (pardon the pun) of the popup.

If you will note, I mentioned NoScript had an entry for scorecardresearch.com on each page I checked. This means javascript from scorecardresearch.com was present on each page.

I temporarily enabled scripting for scorecardresearch.com, and went to view episode 1 of No. 6; no pop-up.

I checked the source code and found what appears to be the same code you did:


<script type="text/javascript">
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js' %3E%3C/script%3E"));
</script>

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
COMSCORE.beacon({
c1:2,
c2:7021617,
c3:"",
c4:"www.crunchyroll.com\/no-6\/episode-1-drowned-rat-581084",
c5:"",
c6:"",
c15:""
});
//-->
</script>


I included a bit more so that you can verify it is indeed from the same section.

A quick bit of research on scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js identifies it as a analytics script that should not result in a pop-up.

Unless I am misreading your original message, it appears you have only encountered this pop-up once. Based upon the lack of anyone else reporting the same, it also does not appear to be prevalent.

If the pop-up was from Score Card Research, it should have been asking you if you were willing to take a survey.

If so, aside from technically not being an ad, once dismissed, you would not be seeing it again anytime soon on Crunchyroll, if at all.

Ronin
94039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / California
Online
Posted 7/12/11 , edited 7/12/11
I've seen this issue. It's not very common and we recently opted out of this after noticing it but that was before you made this thread. So I'm guessing we need to look into this further.

Edit: By not common, I mean the function randomly selects a very small number of people to show the survey.
You must be logged in to post.