First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
So why does anime have to be something america just doesnt get
37036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
So im sitting with friends and the topic of nerdy habits come up. Im like ya im a pretty big anime dude but im not like super open with it. As soon as i say i like anime its like all eyes are on me cuz im now the super nerd. Why is that. Isnt anime just really cool animation with really interesting stories. When did that become nerdy
60247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
59 / M / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 8/5/11 , edited 8/5/11
You're making a pretty big generalization comparing a few friends reaction to the entire population of the USA. Still, it does appear that, despite it becoming more commonly known among the general public, it's still viewed as something that "only kids watch" in this country. Partially because the only anime they (the mundanes) may have seen is intended for kids (Pokemon, Sailor Moon, etc). ..and if you think anime is just becoming nerdy, you haven't seen the teasing that Star Trek fans get from the mainstream crowd. Actually anime is LESS nerdy now, due to the larger number of fans and greater ease to get both anime and manga than the early days of anime fandom (before DVDs and the internet).

Frankly, I think your friends are a bit unusual if they look at you like some kind of freak for expressing your taste for anime. You didn't say, but you should have suggested some titles for them to watch. Something other than the stereotype they seem to have about anime.

Perhaps, the first episode of Elfen Lied for starters.
12301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Valhalla
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
That or have them sit through Kino no Tabi or Mushishi.
For a violent one,i say the old Berserk anime,though i recommend the manga.

Or something with a little flavor like Baccanno!
you take a pick and see if they change their tastes.
10817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Wales, UK
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
my friend had no idea what i was on about
then i showed her one of my fav animes ~ she converted pritty quickly XD
13799 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / That place
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
I think it's more a question of people not knowing entirely what anime is. The view of anime being more or less cartoons is so widely spread that for people who're not into it, it's like saying. "I just can't wait until I get my hands on - the best of Donald Duck -"

In my opinion Anime and manga is more about art and something that can really make an unconventional plot line justice as well as spice up a story that would otherwise be considered plain boring. More than just entertaining it's unbelievably interesting in so many ways.

For people who have no interest in anime/manga, or not even the interest to follow a clue about the fact that they might like it.
Well, let's just say it gets incredibly boring trying to explain to people that what you're doing isn't just watching some bland cartoon that has been re-run on TV for 40 - 50 years.
Posted 8/5/11
It's a matter of cultural differences, and anime is often too complex or strange for the average viewer.
67999 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
Honestly, the idea that anime is for little kids seems a little silly when you consider all the animated series over here that are definitely not for kids, or at least are marketed more towards an older audience (such as Futurama, Family Guy, South Park, etc.).


TheHerald wrote:

You're making a pretty big generalization comparing a few friends reaction to the entire population of the USA. Still, it does appear that, despite it becoming more commonly known among the general public, it's still viewed as something that "only kids watch" in this country. Partially because the only anime they (the mundanes) may have seen is intended for kids (Pokemon, Sailor Moon, etc). ..and if you think anime is just becoming nerdy, you haven't seen the teasing that Star Trek fans get from the mainstream crowd. Actually anime is LESS nerdy now, due to the larger number of fans and greater ease to get both anime and manga than the early days of anime fandom (before DVDs and the internet).

Frankly, I think your friends are a bit unusual if they look at you like some kind of freak for expressing your taste for anime. You didn't say, but you should have suggested some titles for them to watch. Something other than the stereotype they seem to have about anime.

Perhaps, the first episode of Elfen Lied for starters.

Heck, just the first few scenes of the first episode of Elfen Lied. Maybe even just the first few seconds, considering what you actually see.


crush_dance wrote:

That or have them sit through Kino no Tabi or Mushishi.
For a violent one,i say the old Berserk anime,though i recommend the manga.

Or something with a little flavor like Baccanno!
you take a pick and see if they change their tastes.


Nice picks. Kino no Tabi is a good example, and Baccano! is pretty good for showing how violent and absolutely-not-for-little-kids some of these series really are.
Posted 8/5/11
i find that it's the same everywhere... when i was younger and first started high school, i'd gotten into manga and anime. Only a handful of kids in my year knew what anime or even manga was. I think it's like the posts above say, it often falls under stereotypes & stuff.

Luckily i have a friend who knows what i'm talking about when it comes to anime lol
23028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
A few friends =/= all of America. You're generalizing the US the same way a lot of the US generalizes us. There are A LOT of anime otaku here; I'd say most anime otaku, in my experience, are living in Japan, America, and western Europe (especially in France and the UK) Just because the majority isn't into it doesn't mean none of us at all get it.

It's also a cultural difference you should really understand; in America, we generally see cartoons in two categories; those that serve as a child's pastime, and those like Family Guy or South Park that are mainly poke fun at everyday life and that are episodic. We don't usually get into them the way the Japanese do. It's a cultural difference- now, why don't you get that? So, if an American sees Japanese anime as a strange thing, let them be. It's a cultural thing that you should accept if you wish not to be hypocritical.
Posted 8/5/11
you just gotta get the right friends,
most people just dont like it
go to an anime-convention and take them with you or something
2490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/5/11

NyuBoom wrote:

you just gotta get the right friends,
most people just dont like it
go to an anime-convention and take them with you or something



yea i have tuns of obnoxious friends who are always askin me HOW and WHY as if i need to report 2 them what i watch.. luckily i also hav tuns of friends who like anime and evn some who i turned into "anime-lovers"
137890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
I think it's because America doesn't like nerds. We're allowed to exist, but it's not what America focuses on. I say that because anime, like a lot of other specific interests are marginalized and are viewed skeptically.
2490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
uhgg americas ignorance really pisses me off at times
Posted 8/5/11

dirgelament wrote:

It's a matter of cultural differences, and anime is often too complex or strange for the average viewer.


So true people and ppl don't often give it a chance because there is too much they can't comprehend my brother think's it's all about being stupid and cute so i guess i could say fuck him.. .
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/5/11
tell me about it, I was talking to my friend about anime ONCE and she told me I want to be japanese ..... wtf?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.