First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
48÷2(9+3)
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/10/11




Your opinion!
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 8/10/11
2.

PEMDAS? I don't care what anyone else thinks.
39658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Construction land!
Offline
Posted 8/10/11 , edited 8/10/11
Using the exact phrasing of your poll, the correct answer is 2. Using the order of operations, the parentheses come first, giving us an expression that would read 48÷2(12), and that's the easy part. However, the lack of any sort of an actual operand indicates that the 2(12) is actually a single term, and thus should be simplified before proceeding. (This is actually part of dealing with the parentheses- resolving all terms related to them.) This gives us 48÷24, which is 2.

It's kinda like if you were asked to solve 8÷2(x+3). The parentheses can not be simplified further. And, while there multiplication implied by the parentheses, the lack of properly putting a mark means that again, it is a single expression, which would simplify to 4÷(x+3).

Now, had your equation even been slightly reworked, to be 48÷2*(9+3), then you would be correct in saying 288. (Or, in my other case, 8÷2*(x+3) becomes 4*(x+3) or 4x+12, if you prefer.) Despite the fact that the multiplication is in fact implied by itself, the sign being present indicates that they are in fact, 2 seperate entities. It's the tough part on dealing with a straight linear equation instead of displaying a proper fractional equation...
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/10/11 , edited 8/10/11

dunno001 wrote:


It's kinda like if you were asked to solve 8÷2(x+3). The parentheses can not be simplified further. And, while there multiplication implied by the parentheses, the lack of properly putting a mark means that again, it is a single expression, which would simplify to 4÷(x+3).
.



I see what you're saying, but this disproves your point (if you resolve all terms related to the parenthesis).

8÷2(x+3) = 8÷2x+6
39658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Construction land!
Offline
Posted 8/10/11

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


dunno001 wrote:


It's kinda like if you were asked to solve 8÷2(x+3). The parentheses can not be simplified further. And, while there multiplication implied by the parentheses, the lack of properly putting a mark means that again, it is a single expression, which would simplify to 4÷(x+3).
.



I see what you're saying, but this disproves your point (if you resolve all terms related to the parenthesis).

8÷2(x+3) = 8÷2x+6


That is incorrect; they are not quite equal to each other. Order of operations on the second one would have you dividing only the 2x into the 8, not the other part which is implied by the first. (Again, this is why most math is actually shown in proper fraction format instead of in a line.) 2x+6, when factoring out the common 2 of each, does equal 2(x+3). However, it does not change the relationship they have with the 8. The 2x+6 is still the entity that would be the denominator of the fraction. By factoring out the 2, it allows for a part of the denominator to interact with the numerator, the 8 and the 2, thusly becoming 4÷1(x+3), which simplifies to 4÷(x+3), no matter which way you want to work the 1.
Posted 8/10/11 , edited 8/10/11
The multiplication sign is implied. PEMDAS is flawed mnemonic device because it gives the impression that multiplication comes before division and addition before subtraction. PEMDAS is actually more like PE(MD)(AS) with the operations in parentheses being equivalent in order. Also, even though the "rule" is that you're supposed to solve everything related to parentheses first, it's actually misinterpreted in that you're supposed to solve everything within the parentheses first and not everything touching the parentheses. Another thing, since multiplication is implied by having a number next to parentheses, saying that 48/2(9+3)=2 is the same saying that 48/2*(9+3)=2 which, based on previous posts, can be agreed upon to be false.
Mathematically, 48/2(9+3) is actually 48/2*(9+3) which simplifies to 48/2*(12) which equals 24*12 equaling 288.
If you REALLY want proof, you can type it into your TI-89 or something.
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/10/11

dunno001 wrote:


TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


dunno001 wrote:


It's kinda like if you were asked to solve 8÷2(x+3). The parentheses can not be simplified further. And, while there multiplication implied by the parentheses, the lack of properly putting a mark means that again, it is a single expression, which would simplify to 4÷(x+3).
.



I see what you're saying, but this disproves your point (if you resolve all terms related to the parenthesis).

8÷2(x+3) = 8÷2x+6


That is incorrect; they are not quite equal to each other. Order of operations on the second one would have you dividing only the 2x into the 8, not the other part which is implied by the first. (Again, this is why most math is actually shown in proper fraction format instead of in a line.) 2x+6, when factoring out the common 2 of each, does equal 2(x+3). However, it does not change the relationship they have with the 8. The 2x+6 is still the entity that would be the denominator of the fraction. By factoring out the 2, it allows for a part of the denominator to interact with the numerator, the 8 and the 2, thusly becoming 4÷1(x+3), which simplifies to 4÷(x+3), no matter which way you want to work the 1.


so basically the answers the same either way
33884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 8/11/11
Parenthesis, Exponents, (Multiplication and Division), (Addition and Subtraction)

So...

48 / 2 x (9 + 3)
48 / 2 x 12
24 x 12
288

That's the math..too bad I accidentally voted 2... Whoops lol.

40039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Nottingham, England
Offline
Posted 8/18/11
Here in the UK we use BIDMAS which is Brackets (or Parenthesis for the Americans), Indices (Exponents for Americans I guess), Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction, too bad my brain can no longer comprehend equations having not done any in like 7 yrs but I know you always expand the brackets and multiply everything outside the brackets with everything inside or something like that
8193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Niagara Falls N.Y
Offline
Posted 8/19/11
24
12
048
240

Thats 288 by my calculations.
3498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Nowheresville, MI
Offline
Posted 8/19/11 , edited 8/19/11
Uhhh..... I come up with 32.8.
299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Madagascar
Offline
Posted 8/27/11
Its 288.
Posted 8/28/11
It's 288 no matter how you look at it.
because...
48÷2(9+3)
It goes in the order of PEMDAS from left to right!
So...
(9+3) P= Parenthesis or any groupings: ( );{ };[ ]
48÷2(12) E= Exponents which there is none
48÷2 MD= Multiplication or Division which goes left to right!
24x(12)
Which means 24 x 12=
288
Look at that! At first I thought it was 2 but I'm happy I saw how this worked...
22785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 8/29/11
48 / 2 (9+3)
48/2 (12)
48/24
2

thats what i got.
23134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 8/30/11
WILL SOMEONE JUST PUT THIS IN BING MATH ENGINE OR SOMETHIN?
MATH RUINS MY BRAINS.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.