First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You guys are so socially awkward
3164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / NZ
Offline
Posted 8/29/11
I'm not socially awkward. But I can empathize to people who do unique stuff just to get noticed. Maybe that is the only way for them to get a sense of individuality, to fit into those people who don't fit in. In this generation weird is good. If you're not, you're just another boring person. Who doesn't want to get noticed anway?
Posted 8/29/11 , edited 8/29/11

Vicious176 wrote:

It's a bad habit from lurking 4chan too much lately and being human. If I was in a more academic environment I'd be more careful with my wording, and being yourself is in no way conforming or being the status quo.


OP, being fascinated by Psychology and Sociology myself. One of my favorite, and funnest areas of study is Ethnomethodology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomethodology

Be crazy, and be weird. Don't fit in. Do something completely out of character in a setting where it is not usually seen. An example of this would be going to a gym and doing pushups. Afterwards, going to a grocery store and doing pushups in the produce section.

It's all science of the human mind. The difference being is experimentation gives you a free pass at leaping out of the box, while simply trying to place yourself out of the box arbitrarily as a life choice often does not fit your character.
Posted 8/29/11 , edited 8/29/11

Vicious176 wrote:

It's a bad habit from lurking 4chan too much lately and being human. If I was in a more academic environment I'd be more careful with my wording, and being yourself is in no way conforming or being the status quo.


You don't have to be in a more academic environment to know common courtesy.


being yourself is in no way conforming or being the status quo.


If everyone conformed to the status quo, being as if everyone did what was considered "normal" is what I meant.
16096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Daytona Beach
Offline
Posted 8/29/11

varnlestoff wrote:


Vicious176 wrote:

It's a bad habit from lurking 4chan too much lately and being human. If I was in a more academic environment I'd be more careful with my wording, and being yourself is in no way conforming or being the status quo.


OP, being fascinated by Psychology and Sociology myself. One of my favorite, and funnest areas of study is Ethnomethodology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomethodology

Be crazy, and be weird. Don't fit in. Do something completely out of character in a setting where it is not usually seen. An example of this would be going to a gym and doing pushups. Afterwards, going to a grocery store and doing pushups in the produce section.

It's all science of the human mind. The difference being is experimentation gives you a free pass at leaping out of the box, while simply trying to place yourself out of the box arbitrarily as a life choice often does not fit your character.


/cheer

I support this 100% if you're being true to yourself.
3164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / NZ
Offline
Posted 8/29/11

Vicious176 wrote:

I agree not everyone's hierarchy of needs are met but this shouldn't stop you on the road to becoming self-actualized. People stuck at the lower levels of individuality are stuck their because of a lack of will to 'awaken' or further themselves as a person. It's very crude to say this but I look down on these people to an extent and any person who doesn't try to make themselves a better person or peruse deeper education no matter what it be.


Say, define better. Better for your point of view? Have you ever considered that you may vary in opinion? They may have less ambitions than anybody else but that doesn't mean they're less of a person, or an individual. Furthermore, who are you to set standards for other people?
16096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Daytona Beach
Offline
Posted 8/29/11 , edited 8/29/11
You should realize I'm not setting standards or not considering others opinions when I say "to me" or "I", and of course I say things with bias or may unintentionally generalize, I'm not writing a report. But yes, I do look down on people who do not benefit society out of sheer lack of will. Does that make me a bad person? There are very few people who honestly don't look down on others, I simply don't look down on others because of race or social status but rather how useful they are and how they benefit or their potential to help society. It doesn't matter if you are disabled (Hawking) or sterile, try to be helpful to society. I won't hate someone cause of the color of their skin, but I will dislike someone because they are lazy. But I also respect the guy who is somewhat lazy but is crunching quantom on astronomic level numbers.
Posted 8/29/11 , edited 8/29/11

bleyzzz wrote:


Vicious176 wrote:

I agree not everyone's hierarchy of needs are met but this shouldn't stop you on the road to becoming self-actualized. People stuck at the lower levels of individuality are stuck their because of a lack of will to 'awaken' or further themselves as a person. It's very crude to say this but I look down on these people to an extent and any person who doesn't try to make themselves a better person or peruse deeper education no matter what it be.


Say, define better. Better for your point of view? Have you ever considered that you may vary in opinion? They may have less ambitions than anybody else but that doesn't mean they're less of a person, or an individual. Furthermore, who are you to set standards for other people?


Psychologists don't set standards. They examine our brains way of processing and outputting functions that drive our every day life. These very "standards" are built by popular methods of interaction and how it positively or negatively effects our brain through social and neurological stimuli.

Social > Sociology
Neuro > Psychology

If you're an outcast. You either have reasons for being there. Or, you feel you are incapable of making assertive change to correct your current standard. Being weird isn't bad. Most people accept it to a level and understand that we all have our own things. However, being fake and untrue to yourself is something people look down on and will hamper progression in life.
Posted 8/29/11 , edited 8/29/11
well look what anime does to people. we should learn to accept the fact that people want to pretend like that.
I mean there are 13 year olds on the site they like posting crap like that lol


but an 18 year old wrote that so its kinda scary, but aw well all is good in fun and weirdo
Posted 8/29/11
However, it goes both ways in all honestly. Sometimes you look at what is considered socially normal, and all you see is ignorance, and immaturity. I am betting OP would be seen as a pretty weird guy if he lived with the Guido cast members of Jersey Shore.
Posted 8/29/11

Vicious176 wrote:
It doesn't matter if you are disabled (Hawking) or sterile, try to be helpful to society. I won't hate someone cause of the color of their skin, but I will dislike someone because they are lazy. But I also respect the guy who is somewhat lazy but is crunching quantom on astronomic level numbers.


Pretty much this, right?




NyuBoom wrote:

well look what anime does to people. we should learn to accept the fact that people want to pretend like that.
I mean there are 13 year olds on the site they like posting crap like that lol

but an 18 year old wrote that so its kinda scary, but aw well all is good in fun and weirdo


This is CR. That's mostly likely a 13 year old disguised as an 18 year old.
14755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 8/29/11
I just lost brain cells, dammit.
Posted 8/29/11
I am,... I guess. At the same time, I try not to take internet seriously.
And I feel more comfortable if people can see the worst of me right now than later on. It's just too much work for me.
8619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Dreamsicle
Offline
Posted 8/29/11 , edited 8/29/11
You're not random, you're not funny, what goes through your mind at 18 writing this. Again I'm not trolling, just confused. As a psychology major I can't see why someone would embarrass and alienate themselves. I remember the kids back in high school that would run around with naruto headbands. This one narutard in particular would sit and play at an equally awkward yugiho (sp?) table where they all wore their naruto headbands doing hand signs and playing card games. Well they moved on to magic while the one originally mentioned kid was sick and when he sat down with yugiho card instead of magic they kicked him out of the group. He then spent his time running around lunch in a cape with a different headband? Why? I know some of their type are lurking here, Why do you try to be so different, it would be one thing if you were naturally like this, but its obvious how these people TRY to be different instead of being honest to themselves and look for self actualization or atleast be themself.

I usually keep my weeaboo comments to myself and don't attack people but this website is infested



No offense, as a psychology major, should not you be more considerate and less judgmental. If some one can't embarrass or joke around about themselves, then this person is taking life too serious. Sometimes alienation is a form of protection for certain people, because they may be hurt by people around them. Sometimes I would spend time alone by myself, because it is healthy to reconnect with your body and mind, so I could relax from stress. People act certain way as they please, and if you find these forums not in your interest, then you don't have to reply.
53231 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 8/29/11

Vicious176 wrote:

I come here and think it's r9k sometimes. Are you guys okay with being socially awkward, do you make an effort to fit it. I'm not saying conform to something you are not but you are not as unique as you think you are. All you do is come off as edgy and as an angsty kid. Why set yourself apart from society like it's cool when humans are a social race? This is not a troll thread and this obviously does not apply to everybody. You know if you're who I'm talking about or you know the people I'm talking about.

--------------

You're not random, you're not funny, what goes through your mind at 18 writing this. Again I'm not trolling, just confused. As a psychology major I can't see why someone would embarrass and alienate themselves. I remember the kids back in high school that would run around with naruto headbands. This one narutard in particular would sit and play at an equally awkward yugiho (sp?) table where they all wore their naruto headbands doing hand signs and playing card games. Well they moved on to magic while the one originally mentioned kid was sick and when he sat down with yugiho card instead of magic they kicked him out of the group. He then spent his time running around lunch in a cape with a different headband? Why? I know some of their type are lurking here, Why do you try to be so different, it would be one thing if you were naturally like this, but its obvious how these people TRY to be different instead of being honest to themselves and look for self actualization or atleast be themself.

I usually keep my weeaboo comments to myself and don't attack people but this website is infested


Okay, first thing: I definitely agree with you. I mean it's okay to enjoy games, anime, and the such, but if that is your only way to create a semi normal social life then that's cool, but you need to be able to function outside of the group too. I know at my college, I had a little group like this, but we were able to invite random people in who didn't even like gaming because we connected on such a deeper level. We talked about relationships, sexuality, and etc but it wasn't mainly a game, anime, or card game we focused on - that was just a small thing that brought us together. Outside of that circle, I can function properly although I can be a bit out there every once in awhile, people love me for it because I am me. Nothing wrong with being socially awkward as long as the person can function outside of the fantasies.

About the reason why:
It's hard to discover a group of people who like everything that they like so they hold close to those connections. It's good to have an idol, it's good to have someone or something you look up to, but you have to take the good traits from them and reflect on them, not become the reflection. I am basing this off of the fact that I wanted to be a psychology major at one point and I spent a majority of time figuring people out~ It's...interesting.

Also, think of it this way: If you have 100's of different kinds of people in the world with over a million opinions about people, once you think about how you are seen to these people, it makes you afraid to know anything else. When you find people who are like you, they know how you look and you know how they look. There is nothing wrong with you in this bubble, because of this you just have to grasp onto it.

As I said, nothing wrong with being socially awkward, but if the individual stops making the effort to connect outside of their zone, they can't grow. Again, I am just one of those 100 different kinds of people who happens to have a lot of opinions.
Posted 8/29/11 , edited 8/30/11
Uh, whatever. I dislike people trying to change themselves to win others over, lets see you keep that up for the rest of your life. I hate all this whining about stuff.

Hmm, I sound emo. Whatever.

True be you. And also do whatever you want, it's your life. Although I dislike irresponsibility or not thinking there's any need to make up for it. What you say and do affects others, don't forget.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.