First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Are all atheists so full of it?
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/28/08 , edited 4/18/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


Joliame wrote:



To be honest I think you were the “bad-guy” in that encounter. Mind you, the Christian was the “stupid-guy,” but to me you sounded like you were purposefully instigating somebody who was upset about something offensive you said, and then played all innocent when the police came, and instigated a guy into getting arrested.

Well, you didn’t do anything illegal, but you certainly don’t come off as a nice guy.


You're absolutly correct. I'm pretty heartless when it comes to people that bore or anger me. It's a bad habit, but yeah, i was the villain. I really don't have any qualms about doing such things. The only reason i walked over to the cop was because the guy was following me, I'm not trying to justify what i did. i was in the wrong, but when i'm pissed i really don't care. I think most people would've punched the guy but, i don't like doing that.

I'll play the part of the villain to get what i want, even if it's to get someone to leave me alone. It's not the right thing to do, but i am a stupid asshole.

I'm not a nice person, but i can be reasoned with. I hope you don't hate me for it.
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08
Huh? Why'd the quote thingy to that?
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

Joliame wrote:

Huh? Why'd the quote thingy to that?


It does that stuff to me to, makes me mad. Anyway, shoot, I didn’t realize you were on right now, I just edited my last post to an extreme degree. Well, concerning your post before the one I quote, I don’t hate you-or anyone. First off, I’d be a hypocrite for judging you for this. As a Christian I’m much happier, but before I converted I really hated myself. I was constantly angry and took this out on whoever I chose.

Well, it takes a lot to admit you’re wrong about something. I’m glad you did. I respect you for it, that’s something that I’m almost incapable of. Well, I still caution against such behavior. Dig my last post to see why.
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


Joliame wrote:

Huh? Why'd the quote thingy to that?


It does that stuff to me to, makes me mad. Anyway, shoot, I didn’t realize you were on right now, I just edited my last post to an extreme degree. Well, concerning your post before the one I quote, I don’t hate you-or anyone. First off, I’d be a hypocrite for judging you for this. As a Christian I’m much happier, but before I converted I really hated myself. I was constantly angry and took this out on whoever I chose.

Well, it takes a lot to admit you’re wrong about something. I’m glad you did. I respect you for it, that’s something that I’m almost incapable of. Well, I still caution against such behavior. Dig my last post to see why.


Awesome, finally someone else who knows who Titus was! But i totally understand what you mean by the gap, the chasm between people.

I honestly don't see how admitting i was wrong about something takes alot. All i did was type a few words. Hahaha. But joking aside, i've been wrong about stuff all my life and i seriously doubt that's going to end anytime soon.

Granted at the time of the movie i was about 22? 23? and I'm only 25 now so i can't say i'm much better now than i was then. I've always been this way, mostly due to the fact as a teen i reallized i'm not mature enough to keep my mouth shut, so i might as well be mature enough to at least admit to my wrong doings.

It's easy being a n'er-do-well admiting to nothing. But it's even easier to just say, "Damn, i was wrong." It ends conflicts so much faster.

If you don't mind, i'd like to ask a personal question. What were you before you converted?
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/08 , edited 4/18/08

Joliame wrote:

Awesome, finally someone else who knows who Titus was! But i totally understand what you mean by the gap, the chasm between people.

I honestly don't see how admitting i was wrong about something takes alot. All i did was type a few words. Hahaha. But joking aside, i've been wrong about stuff all my life and i seriously doubt that's going to end anytime soon.

Granted at the time of the movie i was about 22? 23? and I'm only 25 now so i can't say i'm much better now than i was then. I've always been this way, mostly due to the fact as a teen i reallized i'm not mature enough to keep my mouth shut, so i might as well be mature enough to at least admit to my wrong doings.

It's easy being a n'er-do-well admiting to nothing. But it's even easier to just say, "Damn, i was wrong." It ends conflicts so much faster.

If you don't mind, i'd like to ask a personal question. What were you before you converted?


As a small child I guess you’d call me a Christian, but I wasn’t really old enough to understand it-so really, I give no title to myself before the age of eight. About by ten, however, I began to despise religion and renounced it. I became an extremely antireligious zealot. I’d call myself an atheist, but I don’t think that’d be completely accurate. Antireligious people work on beliefs, atheists on facts. The antireligious belief that religion is evil, for example. Well, I believe in no higher power, and didn’t want to be associated with religion. I thought that if there was a God, then it was his fault I was miserable.

Whenever I began to study physics my mind was opened to the possibility of the divine, and became an agnostic. Later I converted to Christianity-but, alas, even still, many Christians don’t accept me as one of them because of my less than conventional interpretations and view on the bible/church. One major thing, I’m still leery of other religious people.
Member
175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / o_o For all you k...
Offline
Posted 4/5/08 , edited 4/18/08
You two are seriously interesting. I think I could go on just reading the posts, well, three now that I think about it. o_o It's like a history lesson, only...Taught and worded really well and not boring, and even on a subject I enjoy a lot. Though I have to say I would've most likely done the same thing at that movie. Most of my friends are really the same way and I'm not much different.
Posted 4/19/08

dandylion wrote:

EDIT: Also, everyone is saying Christian, Christian, Christian...wtf?! What happened to Muslims or Buddhists or Wiccan or any other one of the hundreds of religions? You can't truthfully say "I hate religion" if you haven't given any other religion a chance you...you...dumb bleep!!! -_-


I think the reason why people mention Christianity is simply because it's the most popular religion practiced in the US... in a sense it's just a default comparison. That and also the Christian religions are usually the one stirring the pot on a lot of issues. Like another poster said, you really don't see a lot of headlines about Wiccans, Taoists, Buddhists, etc... protesting lifestyles, trying to convert people, or openly and aggressively showcasing their beliefs.

I don't know about others in this group, but I've studied a broad range of religions from Christianity, Cabalism, Wicca, Taoism, Satanism, and many others. I've just always had a fascination with religion and wanted to learn as much as I can about them. I think culturally and historically they're fascinating. You can tell a lot about a culture and a time period based on what type of religion they practiced during the time. However, many of the religions people practiced in the early parts of civilization people laugh at now a day, and I'm sure in the future people will laugh about how we view religion now.

Honestly, to me religion is all the same. There are "good" people who are religious and non religious, and there are douche bags who are religious and nonreligious. People are people no matter what they practice. In the end, I don't think it matters who or what you believe in. I think what matters most is how you choose to live your life.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

melikeyfire wrote:

You two are seriously interesting. I think I could go on just reading the posts, well, three now that I think about it. o_o It's like a history lesson, only...Taught and worded really well and not boring, and even on a subject I enjoy a lot. Though I have to say I would've most likely done the same thing at that movie. Most of my friends are really the same way and I'm not much different.


I'm glad you enjoyed your read...:p
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

MockMachina wrote:


dandylion wrote:

EDIT: Also, everyone is saying Christian, Christian, Christian...wtf?! What happened to Muslims or Buddhists or Wiccan or any other one of the hundreds of religions? You can't truthfully say "I hate religion" if you haven't given any other religion a chance you...you...dumb bleep!!! -_-


I think the reason why people mention Christianity is simply because it's the most popular religion practiced in the US... in a sense it's just a default comparison. That and also the Christian religions are usually the one stirring the pot on a lot of issues. Like another poster said, you really don't see a lot of headlines about Wiccans, Taoists, Buddhists, etc... protesting lifestyles, trying to convert people, or openly and aggressively showcasing their beliefs.

I don't know about others in this group, but I've studied a broad range of religions from Christianity, Cabalism, Wicca, Taoism, Satanism, and many others. I've just always had a fascination with religion and wanted to learn as much as I can about them. I think culturally and historically they're fascinating. You can tell a lot about a culture and a time period based on what type of religion they practiced during the time. However, many of the religions people practiced in the early parts of civilization people laugh at now a day, and I'm sure in the future people will laugh about how we view religion now.

Honestly, to me religion is all the same. There are "good" people who are religious and non religious, and there are douche bags who are religious and nonreligious. People are people no matter what they practice. In the end, I don't think it matters who or what you believe in. I think what matters most is how you choose to live your life.


You bring up a good point. The fact is that Christianity is an incredibly extroversive religion. It draws attention to itself-that’s a major part of it. It’s what Christians might call, “spreading the word,” “preaching the gospel,” or “sharing the good news.” One of the many things that Christianity would have us do is share our salvation with everyone.

In addition, while many other major world religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sikhism,) don’t necessarily damn nonbelievers, most Christians believe that anybody who doesn’t know their way will wind up in eternal suffering. This makes us feel obliged to save people.

It’d be like…say, you were completely convinced that there was a bomb in somebody’s car-and that if they started that car they’d die. You’d try and stop them, correct? Naturally, they’ll probably juts think you’re nuts; moreover, they’ll look at you like an inconvenience. You’re keeping them from going to work. That’s annoying-and they’re going to talk about it, largely negatively.

Christianity is also a powerful tool for generating money. There was a well-known and respected televangelist who actually came out-after years of teaching-and said “God is going to kill me if you don’t send a million dollars.” Apparently this loving lamb of ours is also a mobster on the side? I don’t know, but he got his million dollars AND some change.

It goes much further back than him. During the time of Martin Luther, the great protestant reformer (and an anti-semantic bigot) the Catholic church told people that they had to buy indulgences or they cannot be forgiven for their sins.

In addition to all of this, about a third of the world’s population identifies themselves as some form of Christian. Christianity gets a lot of publicity simply because it’s so public. So many people believe in this way of life that you can’t cover it up.

Things like this just go on and on and on. So many Christians are irritated by people generalizing all religious sin with Christianity. I can’t say how many Christians complain about the prejudice against Christians-which is highly present, and incredibly common. Yet, the ironic thing is, Christians largely bring this on themselves.

Christianity is generalized because it represents religion most publicly. It’s sort of like how rappers and gangsters give -all- black people a bad name. Not all black people are as stupid as this minority, but this minority is the most outspoken; moreover, the other African Americans are simply existing peacefully with them. Only a small fraction are actually standing against the negative stereotypes being bred by the blacks we see on T.V.

In the same nature most other religions don’t want to fight with Christianity. The Jews wont in a million years, because-let’s face it, they don’t need any more enemies. Hindus, Buddhists, and arguably Sikhs have no motivation. The Muslims have fought us, but they lost and now they’re trying to make peace.

Yet, Christians are still bitter about old and ancient wounds. So, we fight, and we become the bad guys-because, in a sense that’s exactly what we’re being.

Christianity is also prominent in the southern united states, where ignorance is out of control. Christianity doesn’t make you ignorant-quite the contrary, most of the worlds greatest philosophers, authors, and scientists were Christians or otherwise religious. Many would’ve never been anything without religion.

Einstein, for example, began to research the world in an attempt to understand God’s creation. Galileo was bitter against the orthodox church for shunning his interpretation of the bible. (He believe it was metaphorical.) C.S Lewis was an atheist who wasn’t really going anywhere until he became a Christian. The religion so inspired him that he began to write some of the most famous works of literature in the history of mankind.

Actually, early scientific and historical research in Europe was not only funded, but engendered by the church. They believe that God was real-and thus, they could never find evidence that he wasn’t real. Science would simply further prove the existence of God.

They also collected ancient works of literature in order to show how Christianity had progressed the world, and to keep themselves educated so that they could defend their religion. So no, historically and socially Christianity does not breed ignorance-but ignorance can breed Christianity.

People who don’t know any other way just automatically choose what they do know. But, these people are ignorant, and so it gives the illusion that all Christians are ignorant. Unfortunately people associate entire groups based on their personal experiences with people in those groups.

One example is that I had a friend who told me her grandfather was racist. When asked why he was racist she explained that he was jumped and beaten almost to death by African Americans. It scarred him, and he remains (according to her story) afraid of and racist against blacks to this day.

This is an extreme case. In all actuality it’s usually more subtle than this. Fact remains, however, that these ignorant people are now trying to be extroversive with their beliefs-but their beliefs were founded ignorantly. Since their beliefs are Christian beliefs it seems that Christian beliefs are ignorant-which is ironic.

In the end there are many reasons why people would have a negative outlook on Christianity. There are also reasons why they generalize all negative religious attributes and events with Christianity. Sad thing is, I can’t blame them, because it’s our own fault that people look at us as they do…

Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/25/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


MockMachina wrote:


dandylion wrote:

EDIT: Also, everyone is saying Christian, Christian, Christian...wtf?! What happened to Muslims or Buddhists or Wiccan or any other one of the hundreds of religions? You can't truthfully say "I hate religion" if you haven't given any other religion a chance you...you...dumb bleep!!! -_-


I think the reason why people mention Christianity is simply because it's the most popular religion practiced in the US... in a sense it's just a default comparison. That and also the Christian religions are usually the one stirring the pot on a lot of issues. Like another poster said, you really don't see a lot of headlines about Wiccans, Taoists, Buddhists, etc... protesting lifestyles, trying to convert people, or openly and aggressively showcasing their beliefs.

I don't know about others in this group, but I've studied a broad range of religions from Christianity, Cabalism, Wicca, Taoism, Satanism, and many others. I've just always had a fascination with religion and wanted to learn as much as I can about them. I think culturally and historically they're fascinating. You can tell a lot about a culture and a time period based on what type of religion they practiced during the time. However, many of the religions people practiced in the early parts of civilization people laugh at now a day, and I'm sure in the future people will laugh about how we view religion now.

Honestly, to me religion is all the same. There are "good" people who are religious and non religious, and there are douche bags who are religious and nonreligious. People are people no matter what they practice. In the end, I don't think it matters who or what you believe in. I think what matters most is how you choose to live your life.


In the end there are many reasons why people would have a negative outlook on Christianity. There are also reasons why they generalize all negative religious attributes and events with Christianity. Sad thing is, I can’t blame them, because it’s our own fault that people look at us as they do…



All good points based in (and on) actual facts. But a question starts to float in my mind when i read about such things: "What came first: the religion or the ignorance?" I think most people would say ignorance; and basing it in around the time of pre-history. Can we really call the first humans "ignorant" or where they just below cognitive thought?

Sometimes, i like to think I'm above the embarrassingly simple thought process of cutting my decisions between a person and a group of people, and i will admit that most of the time i don't. It comes down to: if that one person i met is a jackass, how can the group of people that hang out with that one person like him?

I can proudly say, that's in a social situations, when it comes to religion i tend to separate my dislike for one and like the many.

I don't mind Christianity or certain Christians. The only Christians i ever met that i dislike are the self-martyrs. In my mind they are contradicting the value of themselves. I think God appreciates the prolonged goodwill, instead of self-sacrifice. It explains why suicide is so looked down upon.
Member
464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 6/5/08 , edited 6/5/08

SeraphAlford wrote:


Joliame wrote:

Oh something else i forgot to mention. I loved when Passion of Christ came out in theaters and no atheists protested (around in my state at least) they actually went to see it.

The only bad thing i saw was when i came out of the theater was the local news crew was asking people what they thought about the movie (mainly they wanted to find out how gory the movie was) they interviewed me and i said it was a great work of fiction. As soon as i said that four christians ran over and started yelling at me.

They went on and on about how stupid i was being and how wrong i was. When they were done yelling they news lady thrusted the mic in my face and said, "Your rebutal?"

I answered, "Wow, what a great performance for the camera." I yawned. Then said, "This is boring." As i was walking away one of the christains ran in front of me and started yelling at me, i smiled and said, "The camera is off you can stop now. Shouldn't you be at a free clinic somewhere yelling at a raped, pregant girl about how she is going to hell for getting rid of her unwarranted fetus?"

That really pissed him off. Then he started to yell some more, so i kept walking toward a police officer i saw. When the officer saw that a man was yelling at me he asked what was going on, i told him this man is stalking me over my oppinion of a movie. The policeman told the man to step away from me or be arrested. As it turns out that guy started yelling at the cop about me and wouldn't stop yelling even when the cop asked him to calm down and go back with his friends. Long story short the man wouldn't so the cop arrested him.


Well, the Passion was directed at adults. It was also advertised as religious, where as the movie mentioned previously was not. It was played off as a fantasy, as was the book. Still, I have nothing against it, but there is a difference.

I’m afraid you seem to be the bad guy to me. I mean, you’re completely within your rights. Those “Christians,” were idiots and should learn to shut up. However, that’s a touchy topic. You’re smart enough to know that, or at least you seem to have an image of yourself as somebody who is. It’s something that means a lot to people. There were men and women weeping over that movie, and while you might not understand that, its still sentimental.

What you said about that movie was bound to offend somebody, and you’re bound to have realized that. Yet, you said it. That’s just rude and disrespectful. Now, mind you, you’re free to say it. However, I’m free to come in and make fun of your mother who just died, to rub salt in your wound. I’m free to call you a prick and say all sorts of things to your friends, relatives, and loved ones. You’d get offended, you can say you wouldn’t, but the fact is you would.

Maybe you’re mature enough not to start shouting about it, though I doubt it-because few people are, but what you said was essentially the same thing. Christians love their messiah, and you made a joke out of a monument to his death. You might as well have pissed on the grave of somebody’s papa.

Then, once you had somebody infuriated, you purposefully instigated him. You purposefully exacerbated the situation. Then, when somebody with authority shows up, you play innocent. Well, I don’t know you, but you certainly don’t portray a very kind image of yourself.

People need to have more respect for each other. We don’t gain anything from walking around and saying things that we already know are going to hurt people. You’re free to blow clouds of smoke at your waitress, but you shouldn’t, it’s not nice-it’s rude. There’s something called manors, and a major part of having them is having respect for your fellow man.

Why divide the people, why make such a massive gap between Christians and non-Christians?





HOWEVER!
Respect is not something you demand, respect is something you gain! If one starts to demand respect, they deserve RIDICULE!
I will personally not start respecting religion, all the respect is what gives religion the bloated ego that is has..

I dont agree that he was wrong, in any sense, i WANT to be able to go to the Passion of the christ and tell what i think of it, if i was asked without fear of getting yelled at, or even having to go to the police because some nutcase didnt agree with me..

What you are trying to do is censoring, what should be done is educating! Then we would be free of calling people moms bitches like you suggested..
You might think his mom who just died is a bitch, but thats subjective, while the question whether the movie was a work of fiction is not. There lies the difference i would think..

Einstein, for example, began to research the world in an attempt to understand God’s creation.
The difference was, Einstein didnt believe in a personal god..
He was a Pantheist, which is distinctively different from Christianity..
Moderator
1783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/5/08

saywhaat wrote:



HOWEVER!
Respect is not something you demand, respect is something you gain! If one starts to demand respect, they deserve RIDICULE!
I will personally not start respecting religion, all the respect is what gives religion the bloated ego that is has..



Yes, respect is a very tricky slope. But you have to say, on what i did was blatant disrespect, there was no just cause. I did it just to do it and because of my ways i got yelled at, which isn't any surprise. I showed a lack of respect for their messiah, so their reactions was pretty normal.

I'm not saying you should kiss the ass of anyone just because of their religion, but if you're kind to them, most will show the same to you.
Member
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/08 , edited 6/6/08
Well, you can actually be a Christian and a pantheist at the same time. Pantheism isn’t any more a religion than polytheism or monotheism. Nothing in pantheism contradicts the bible, technically. Anyway, I never said Einstein was a Christian, did I? I don’t know, if I did it was a mistake. Einstein was a Jew.

Moving back on topic:


saywhaat wrote: Respect is not something you demand, respect is something you gain!


I never demanded anything; moreover, I never spoke of anybody else demanding respect. I was talking about requesting respect. There’s no crime in that. Next, I disagree. We’re all Humans and it’s my opinion that we should automatically receive respect. We should earn disrespect.

Everything you wrote is a load of crap. See, that’s rude and you’re probably mad. So, you don’t believe what you claim-you’re just claiming it. Yet, you haven’t done jack to “gain” or “earn” my respect. Does that mean I should treat you like dirt? No, and I don’t think you really believe that either. I seriously doubt you’re just some jerk who goes around treating people like crap until they “gain” respect.

Besides this, who are you to decide who’s worthy of respect and who isn’t? Who are you to say, “You have to do A, B, and C to earn respect. Until then your emotions, feelings, and dignity mean crap. We get to treat you like dirt and say any rude or offensive thing we want and there’s nothing you can do about it because you don’t deserve respect because you haven’t ‘gained’ it yet.”

As it stands, if we all default to disrespect then nobody will ever earn any respect. Two tribes of people sharing a small plot of land might be a good example. They’ve got two options: War, or peace.

Well, obviously if Tribe A runs in and attacks Tribe B the latter isn’t going to be too friendly. However, if Tribe A attempts to make peace there’s a chance Tribe B will return it. There’s also a chance that they might not. In which case-war is fine, but why go around “doing unto others before they do unto you.”

The world moves much smoother if we “do unto others as we’d have them do unto us.”


If one starts to demand respect, they deserve RIDICULE


Again, who are we to make the decision? I personally don’t have such a narrow and “black or white,” perspective. I think in some circumstances it’s appropriate and necessary to demand respect while in others it’s audacious and asinine.


I will personally not start respecting religion, all the respect is what gives religion the bloated ego that is has.


I’m sorry to hear that you’re so set in your ways. As far as religion having a bloated ego, I fail to see how a word can have any kind of ego….


I don’t agree that he was wrong, in any sense


I see, and you expressed that in a mature and respectful way. You’re very welcome to that but obviously our opinions contradict. Thank you for being mature and adult in this portion of your post.


i WANT to be able to go to the Passion of the Christ and say what I think of it…without fear of getting yelled at, or even having to go to the police because some nutcase didn’t agree with me..


Well, did you ever stop to think that this nutcase may WANT to chase you to the police because he didn’t agree with you? What makes your desire so much more important than his? You’re so much better than him?

As it stands there are respectful ways to express an opinion without offending somebody. If he had said, “Personally I don’t believe that Christ was crucified, but I enjoyed the movie.” Nobody would’ve been offended. So, if you really want to express yourself without being yelled at I highly suggest you listen to what I’m saying and start respecting people rather than assuming you have the right to judge them as in superior and unworthy.


What you are trying to do is censoring


See, that’s disrespect that I didn’t deserve. It’s also ignorant and incorrect. I never tried to censor anyone. I never even suggest that he should shut up and stop talking. I simply suggest he be prudent. Just as I said, you can express an opinion without offending people. The reward is that you’re not going to be yelled at and, more importantly, you’re not going to hurt somebody’s feelings for no other reason than “I want.”
Member
464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 6/6/08

Well, you can actually be a Christian and a pantheist at the same time. Pantheism isn’t any more a religion than polytheism or monotheism. Nothing in pantheism contradicts the bible, technically. Anyway, I never said Einstein was a Christian, did I? I don’t know, if I did it was a mistake. Einstein was a Jew.


Technically no?, then we have different definition of a Christian, Yahwe, is a personal vindictive, narrowminded, vengeful god, who actively engage in the lives of his followers, by siding with them in wars, listening to prayers and healing their sick ones..
While a pantheistic "god" is just a word for "nature".. (basically)
Einstein was a monetal jew, or so the evidence suggests..

Mind you that, god, as in the abrahamic ones, are personal gods, and i dont define god, as something else, because i wont use the word god as Einstein did, it would simply confuse people..



As it stands there are respectful ways to express an opinion without offending somebody. If he had said, “Personally I don’t believe that Christ was crucified, but I enjoyed the movie.” Nobody would’ve been offended. So, if you really want to express yourself without being yelled at I highly suggest you listen to what I’m saying and start respecting people rather than assuming you have the right to judge them as in superior and unworthy.


What the hell is that? So if you place "personally" after the sentence it suddenly makes it allright?
Are you really trying to justefy that mans provoking by "you should have been nicer"?
Do you honestly think that packing that sentence into a blanket would do him any better?
Even if it did, it should not be necesserasy to start carpetbagging everything you say because a christian is nearby, of course there is a fineline by a decent response and puclibly bashing, but he did not cross the line in that sentence, it was a perfectly well response, it isnt as if he said fuck jesus..
There is a difference in saying to ones mom who just died that she was a bitch, and that sentence he spoke in the interview..


See, that’s disrespect that I didn’t deserve. It’s also ignorant and incorrect. I never tried to censor anyone. I never even suggest that he should shut up and stop talking. I simply suggest he be prudent. Just as I said, you can express an opinion without offending people. The reward is that you’re not going to be yelled at and, more importantly, you’re not going to hurt somebody’s feelings for no other reason than “I want.”


Yes you can express an oppinion without offending, but theres a line between carpetbagging everything into nice little political correct sentences every single time a christian is nearby, why cant people be able to criticise a movie without fear of reprisal? it was not even as he started screaming and yelling about how Jesus was a homosexual sexoffender..

Whether the movie was a work of fiction or not, is up to debate, so why cant it be debated?
When did religion get the status as being undebateable? Why is it, that his little sentence got him enemies? That guy who was yelling overeacted..


I’m sorry to hear that you’re so set in your ways. As far as religion having a bloated ego, I fail to see how a word can have any kind of ego….


And i think we are using respect in a different sense, what you refer to respect i refer to "common decency"
Respect is very different..
If i cant even say the sentence that "he" did, without fear of getting publicly ridiculed, then respect is the last thing i want to give away..
You dont think religion has a bloated ego? Then open your eyes sir, its up there in your face.. :)


Again, who are we to make the decision? I personally don’t have such a narrow and “black or white,” perspective. I think in some circumstances it’s appropriate and necessary to demand respect while in others it’s audacious and asinine.


Black and white? You are the one with the prejudges here, i never mentioned that every single Christian is a narrowminded bigot, but Christianity in general, why assume i suddenly think all Christians are like that? It goes without saying that not all people can be bunched together, but if i have to explain that every single time i debate, then we would never get anywhere, so stop assuming something without reading between the lines, or at least use your head, you show the impression that you got one, pretty tightly screwed together, so there is no excuse..


See, that’s disrespect that I didn’t deserve. It’s also ignorant and incorrect. I never tried to censor anyone. I never even suggest that he should shut up and stop talking. I simply suggest he be prudent. Just as I said, you can express an opinion without offending people. The reward is that you’re not going to be yelled at and, more importantly, you’re not going to hurt somebody’s feelings for no other reason than “I want.”


Your threshold is pretty small.. :)
Censor, is also placing fear into people, if that sentence is enough to get yelled at, and some guy at the forum tells him that he was justefied because he didnt "say it with respect" than its pretty much is censoring, or at least close, you are at least narrowing hes freedom of expression..

And sorry if i hurt you feelings.......
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.