First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Anime music is amazing
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/3/11 , edited 10/3/11
Almost every anime I've seen has a huge soundtrack full of beautifully composed music. In fact some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard has been in anime.

However in America, the vast majority of ours shows have a lame 15-30 second opening theme and a few generic jingles for background noise.

Music plays an extremely important role in setting the mood and intensifying emotion and actions in a scene. Can you imagine Clannad without it's incredibly moving music during an emotional scene, or Cowboy Bebop without it's fast paced jazz during a chase or fight? Or what about School Rumble without it's upbeat tunes that accompany characters and funny situations? I'm really grateful that anime makers appreciate the importance of music and always ensure that their series has the best soundtrack possible.

It's obvious that composers and musicians for American TV don't spend much time on making amazing music because they know that it's for a TV show and they won't be making millions off it. Yet anime composers clearly put enormous effort and heart into what they make. It seems that anime composers believe that if they are going to make music, they should make the best music they can. And they do an amazing job of making the music fit perfectly in the anime and enhance what is happening onscreen.

And the opening and closing themes. They aren't just a 30 second tune recorded by the producer's grandson. They are a full song by a talented band/singer. Amazing.

Of course not all anime has amazing music, but even the crappiest anime often has a better quality soundtrack than many of the biggest American shows. Of course there are American shows with good soundtracks but there are very few in my opinion.

But I wonder how anime producers can afford to hire a composer and even an orchestra to create an enormous soundtrack, and then another 1 or 2 singers for the opening and closing? I mean these soundtracks are on the same level (and often much higher) as 100 million dollar budget blockbuster movies! Well however they do it I'm very grateful.

Anime is truly an art, and music plays an big role in making it so great.

Anyway that's what I think. Any thoughts?
1487 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 10/3/11 , edited 10/3/11

suzzanuzza

Anyway that's what I think. Any thoughts?


.........My anime CD vs. non-anime CD ratio is about 60:10.......so I think that speaks for itself.

But yes, come to think of it, the studios put a crap load of effort into composing music for anime and the mainstream grabs the big-name artists like Larc, Gackt, I've Sound, and Asian Kung-Fu Generation.

........I wonder where the studios get that kinda yen to do that?
Or maybe it doesn't cost as much as we're assuming?
Perhaps someone here can answer.
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/3/11
I agree! I think the soundtrack to many anime shows capture the vibe perfectly. For example, the 'dot Hack' series. Really awesome stuff.
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm surprised there's only 2 replies. I guess noboby likes to read a long post like that
42768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Grande Prairie, A...
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
I agree. It seems that the studios that develop anime series really try hard and take their time to find the perfect soundtrack that compliments the series. Most of the anime that I really enjoy stem from the fact that the musical score drags me even deeper into the series. Ex: Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist. Unlike North American programming that is out to make a quick buck, Japanese animation truly is a well rounded art form that incorporates not just visual but musical and emotional elements into one satisfying package.
Posted 10/4/11

suzzanuzza wrote:

Almost every anime I've seen has a huge soundtrack full of beautifully composed music. In fact some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard has been in anime.

However in America, the vast majority of ours shows have a lame 15-30 second opening theme and a few generic jingles for background noise.

Music plays an extremely important role in setting the mood and intensifying emotion and actions in a scene. Can you imagine Clannad without it's incredibly moving music during an emotional scene, or Cowboy Bebop without it's fast paced jazz during a chase or fight? Or what about School Rumble without it's upbeat tunes that accompany characters and funny situations? I'm really grateful that anime makers appreciate the importance of music and always ensure that their series has the best soundtrack possible.

It's obvious that composers and musicians for American TV don't spend much time on making amazing music because they know that it's for a TV show and they won't be making millions off it. Yet anime composers clearly put enormous effort and heart into what they make. It seems that anime composers believe that if they are going to make music, they should make the best music they can. And they do an amazing job of making the music fit perfectly in the anime and enhance what is happening onscreen.

And the opening and closing themes. They aren't just a 30 second tune recorded by the producer's grandson. They are a full song by a talented band/singer. Amazing.

Of course not all anime has amazing music, but even the crappiest anime often has a better quality soundtrack than many of the biggest American shows. Of course there are American shows with good soundtracks but there are very few in my opinion.

But I wonder how anime producers can afford to hire a composer and even an orchestra to create an enormous soundtrack, and then another 1 or 2 singers for the opening and closing? I mean these soundtracks are on the same level (and often much higher) as 100 million dollar budget blockbuster movies! Well however they do it I'm very grateful.

Anime is truly an art, and music plays an big role in making it so great.

Anyway that's what I think. Any thoughts?


Nah ah! Totally Spies had an awesome soundtrack!
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/5/11
Obviously, this person hasn't watched many 80's or 90's American cartoons, nor have they've heard of Warner Brothers, Disney, or Hanna-Barbera. For example, watch any episode of Looney Tunes. Such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55G7T8VdWEs

2490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
yesh it is amazing
143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
Yees, you should check Yuki Kajiura. If you think school rumble / cowboy bebop is good, you miss a lot of good sountrack!!

She composed sountracks.

My favorite : Pandora hearts - Will / Contractor

She also made Tsubasa Chronicle / Noir / Hack. They are amazing pieces!
19704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Northwest
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Probably 60% of the songs in my ipod are anime songs Right now I'm loving the Ao No Exorcist soundtrack it's amazing !
136480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
My favorites OSTs are Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, Naruto Shippuden, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, House of Fives Leaves, Mushsishi and anything by Yoshimori Makoto (Baccano and Durarara).
Posted 10/5/11
A lot of anime does have some really good songs. I rarely skip through openings just because I like the music. I think a lot of movies have good music aslo though. For example, I really liked the Sucker Punch soundtrack!


dwadewade wrote:

Probably 60% of the songs in my ipod are anime songs Right now I'm loving the Ao No Exorcist soundtrack it's amazing !


I love Ao No Exorcist's music also!
31057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
63
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
I wholeheartedly agree. The same goes for the sound effects. American cartoons overuse the same cliche effects to the point of detracting from the animation. Not that Japanese anime doesn't have its own cliches; they just use a lot more restraint.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPx-zkaKlTA

As the forum mod said, you have to go back to the 80`s or 90`s to find american cartoons with cool openings xD

Anime does have great soundtracks, the japanese composers are geniuses.
I love the Fairy Tail soundtrack the most, hate that the composer has started to make soundtrack for Naruto Celtic rock doesn`t really fit in Naruto imo.
The Usagi Drop soundtrack is the best from the summer season, very lovely.
Posted 10/5/11

PixelPixie wrote:

A lot of anime does have some really good songs. I rarely skip through openings just because I like the music. I think a lot of movies have good music aslo though. For example, I really liked the Sucker Punch soundtrack!


dwadewade wrote:

Probably 60% of the songs in my ipod are anime songs Right now I'm loving the Ao No Exorcist soundtrack it's amazing !


I love Ao No Exorcist's music also! :)


Same here, especially their OP and EDs. Could've done a bit better with the anime itself though. Hope the movie's good.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.