First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
New Apple Devices
Posted 10/5/11 , edited 10/5/11
Steve, you dynamo renegade techno-prodigy, I may not have agreed with the flash ban, but you were amazing, nonetheless. You will be missed!

Oh, and for the OP - the Macbook Air seems like a well-rounded, sound investment. Love the i5 processor. The 2011 version fixed a few niggling issues. Still not a lot of flash storage. Want 3G wireless? You'll just have to stick to the iPad/iPhone.
55555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 10/5/11 , edited 10/5/11

Aero-Mach wrote:


ReaperEXE wrote:


Aero-Mach wrote:

It doesn't have any better camera, it doesn't have a dual core processor, it doesn't have the rumored 3G data plan, All they did was make it..... white... WTF?


Why would Apple waste precious resources putting all that into the iPod Touch? Do you not understand the basic business model? They're trying to make money. That wasn't Apple low-balling consumers, that was consumers being naive enough to believe that Apple would release a cheap, reasonably powerful 3G device.

iOS 5 was a good announcement.

The new iPhone is all about the software, and that software is pretty impressive. I would probably have gotten the iPhone 4S if it had better hardware. A full-HD camera and a dual-core processor is a good start, but that stuff is already outdated. Knowing Apple, they'll probably underclock the processor to 800Mhz. I think a faster dual-core processor with a quad-core GPU is the very least they can do. Wait, no, they can still update the RAM from 512mb to 1gb, use a bigger screen, increase resolution, etc. etc. It was definitely a good business move to call this the iPhone 4S, rather than 5. The hardware is just not good enough to compete with phones in the Android market. I mean, it'll hurt them a bit now, but it'll definitely help with iPhone 5 sales, depending on what they bring to the table of course. The one feature that I really like is the ability to switch between CMDA and GSM networks; in that sense it literally is a world phone.


Waste?

The reason why the iPod Touch got nerfed is because Apple(Or Tim Cook) has a distaste for the iPod Touch because it eats iPhone sales,



HURR DURR~

It's a waste because it could potentially eat away at iPhone sales. It's simply illogical to create something that's on par with a device not only created by the same company, but cheaper than aforementioned device. By the way, your over-exaggerating how badly they affected iPhone sales in the first place. The iPod Touch is for little boys who don't know their thumb from their dick anyways. In other words, poor and can't afford an iPhone.
Ronin
94039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
What new Apple devices are there? 1? So there is only 1 choice and that's how Apple likes it.
Posted 10/5/11

ReaperEXE wrote:



HURR DURR~

It's a waste because it could potentially eat away at iPhone sales. It's simply illogical to create something that's on par with a device not only created by the same company, but cheaper than aforementioned device. By the way, your over-exaggerating how badly they affected iPhone sales in the first place. The iPod Touch is for little boys who don't know their thumb from their dick anyways. In other words, poor and can't afford an iPhone.


I believe they call that cannibalism? -Usually a bad decision, unless you're into lemmingship (vs. stewardship) which isn't sustainable business at all, but the greedy ones usually take their cut and leave the ship to sink, and I've seen a few companies do just that. It's a shame, really.

3361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Anywhere you arn'...
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
RIP Steve Jobs

February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011
64245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Seattle Wa
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Being as I need a new ipod due to the washing machine eating mine up. I will be getting a new ipod nano and most likely i'll buy the new iphone 4s to replace my iphone 3gs.

I wish the iphone 4s ditched the assisted gps which is complete crap in non populated areas but other than that it will fit my needs better than any other phone on the market
Posted 10/5/11 , edited 10/5/11
I'm proud to say I own none of them. I used to have a Nano. Someone stole it.
Now I just cavort with my doohickey.
3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/11

scorp_queen wrote:

I'm proud to say I own none of them. I used to have a Nano.


I once had a Nano myself. I gave it to one of my nephews when I got a PSP. Yes for a while I was using my PSP has my mp3 player.

Today I have an Evo 4G.

Oh and before I forget........

R.I.P. Steve Jobs.

55555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 10/5/11

WackyFiasco wrote:

I believe they call that cannibalism? -Usually a bad decision, unless you're into lemmingship (vs. stewardship) which isn't sustainable business at all, but the greedy ones usually take their cut and leave the ship to sink, and I've seen a few companies do just that. It's a shame, really.



Exactly. It's not something I see often, let alone work often, but off the top of my head a successful (until recently) example would be RIM.
Posted 10/6/11


HURR DURR~

It's a waste because it could potentially eat away at iPhone sales. It's simply illogical to create something that's on par with a device not only created by the same company, but cheaper than aforementioned device. By the way, your over-exaggerating how badly they affected iPhone sales in the first place. The iPod Touch is for little boys who don't know their thumb from their dick anyways. In other words, poor and can't afford an iPhone.


I think you're missing the point,

iPod Touch is a better money maker than the iPhone,

The iPod Touch isn't for people who can't afford the iPhone,

iPhone 4 is 99$

Cheapest iPod is 200$,

See something odd about your statement?

iPod Touch and iPhone are both by Apple,

They get money from both Apple doesn't think.

"Man, I love iPhone money better than iPod Touch money."

The iPod Touch is for people who can't get ahold of the iPhone(Different carrier),

Or sometimes they don't wanna pay for a data plan,

iPod Touch and iPhone,

Simply a choice between which was better for your needs,

And everyone who logic would pick an iPod Touch over the iPhone,

iPod Touch is a multi-media device, it's power and incredibly useful(Especially when jailbroken),

Sometimes you wanna play Assassin's Creed, Sonic 4 and N.O.V.A all day without worrying about if you have enough phone battery to call your ride home from a party,

Or you don't wanna keep shelling out 79$ dollars a month.....

Jeez, I'm saying keep the choices, it sounds like you're saying people with money don't masturbate(A total lie),

If a little boy wants to wank his whatsit, and have a cool device for games, music and videos at the same time, then let him.

Don't take it away because internet forum goers like to insult children at every chance they get....
78167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Japan
Offline
Posted 10/6/11 , edited 10/6/11

Aero-Mach wrote:

The reason why the iPod Touch got nerfed is because Apple(Or Tim Cook) has a distaste for the iPod Touch because it eats iPhone sales,


That makes no sense in a business model. How do you prove that sales in one product affected the sales in another when both are growing at amazingly steady positive rates? Even if one growth rate decreases, how do you attribute it to sales of one product affecting the other? Out of redundancy? If that's your argument, then it's not "nerfing" the iPod - it's simply streamlining their product line to reduce redundancies - and that brings up your next point...


Everyone who want's an iPhone but not enough cash, would buy a Touch and a regular phone and would be set.


That makes no sense, either. If I wanted an iPhone but I didn't have the cash, I'd settle for A DIFFERENT SMART PHONE. All that the iPod Touch has is the iOS software, but nothing else that the iPhone boasts as a smart phone. The only reasonable update that the iPod has is by lieu of its iOS update, allowing you to send messages via a Wi-Fi network. Sure, it would've been great to include 3G, but like you said - that would make things redundant... but that wouldn't make someone buy an iPod + phone combo because the iPhone is more expensive.


Ever since the 2nd Generation of iOS devices, the iPod Touch has been out muscling the iPhone for awhile,


A tip on business models - don't cross compare your own products. They have their own market shares in spite of the integration that they share. Plus, how do you even prove that the iPod Touch is outselling the iPhone? Sales? There's no comparison there because they are completely different markets!


The iPod Touch 4th Generation destroyed the iPhone 4 at sales, and the catch is... iPod Touches always come afterwards and still schools the iPhone,


The iPod Touch destroyed its competition of digital music players in terms of sales. The iPhone 4 destroyed its competition of smart phones in sales. They didn't destroy each other, because they're different things, altogether.


A Dual Core iPod Touch with 1GB of ram would be popular among the tech savvy and would be amazing for the Jailbreak scene(Which Apple doesn't really care about).


In time, I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in an A5 into the iPod - but they need to make people focus their attention on the iPhone 4S, first. Don't take out all your smoking guns at once. Basic marketing tactics.


This iPhone 4 is major letdown, I like Apple products a bit,

but this iPhone 4S is more like iPhone 4 Suckers,


How was the iPhone 4 a major let down? It currently comprises 50% of all the iPhones they've ever sold. You make no sense.


Tim Cook Nerfed the touch, Somewhat nerfed the iPhone(No more ram?)

And threw it out.


Bitter that it's just white? Nothing's stopping them from releasing something else in the near future. It's a totally different market from the iPhone, so I really can't see why you're comparing the orange with the lemon.



I'm starting to see the difference without Steve Jobs,


To be honest, the "difference" happened LONG ago when the iPad 2 came out. You should've noticed.


Improving the Touch would be better idea since even plenty of Android users snatch up iPod Touches so they can both OSes,


Isn't that why they developed iOS5? Android isn't a product in itself - it's an OS. So why are you comparing the iPod Touch to Android when you should be comparing iOS5 to Android?


I sure hope call it iPod Touch 4 Shit(4S, Get it?).


No, I don't.


The iPod Touch isn't for people who can't afford the iPhone,

iPhone 4 is 99$

Cheapest iPod is 200$,

See something odd about your statement?


Notice what else is odd with your statement. That $99 price tag on the iPhone 4 is CARRIER DEPENDENT, meaning you have to pay a fixed plan rate for a minimum of 2 years. You're simply adding $99 cash layout the moment you purchase the phone for the unit itself, but each month you're paying a fixed plan. The iPod is purchased WITHOUT A CARRIER because it isn't even a mobile phone to begin with - hence, the higher selling price. Really, I can't believe you're comparing them like this...

Posted 10/6/11 , edited 10/6/11

edsamac wrote:


Aero-Mach wrote:

The reason why the iPod Touch got nerfed is because Apple(Or Tim Cook) has a distaste for the iPod Touch because it eats iPhone sales,


How was the iPhone 4 a major let down? It currently comprises 50% of all the iPhones they've ever sold. You make no sense.


I think what he was referring to was the "upgrade" thing and the improvements that was worth buying the iPhone4. I do agree with him. Ask any someone who know computer and IT technology well, non Apple fans, and they will tell you that an upgrade to iPhone4, if you already own an iPhone is not worth it. Or upgrading to iPhone4 is not worth it if you already have any other smartphone that does performs similar and does pretty much what an iPhone can do.

Heck, even iPhone4S has nothing great about it. The technologies in the iPhones are either old or existiing technology that Apple markets as "new". As an example, remember Facetime?

And yes, iPhones are the bigger version of iPod Touch; iPod Touch is the bigger version of the iPod. Hmmm... let's see... the iPad is just an oversized iPhone. Do you get it what I'm trying to show you here? In every one of those i-devices, one or two functions will separate those devices from each other that makes them in different categories.

iPad is the clone of the iPhone with additional stuffs
iPhone is the clone of the iPod Touch with the calling feature
iPod Touch has all the features of the iPod with a touchscreen

Another is people can even check their emails on the iPod Touch so that the only thing that separates the iPhone from the iPod Touch is the calling feature.

Money-wise, if you want to buy an iPhone and an iPod Touch, then buy the iPhone, Buying both will just be a waste of your money. But it's your money anyway so spend it how you want it. Another but... But don't blame other people for running out of money.

The reason for the iPhone sales is the marketing style and because some people are easily pulled in by the hype. An example of my former IT supervisor and former network admin. Both of them are in IT but they got pulled in by the iPhone and iPad. Hey, even IT people are not perfect. They pretty much go around and flash them to everyone as if little children having new toys. In my head, I was just ROFLMAO whenever they do that.

And they even configured the servers to be compatible with the iPhone even though the company mainly uses Blackberry smartphones for the business. And the Blackberry smartphones are left "hanging".

As for me, I was not easily pulled in since I know that those "new" technology were old or in existence before the iPhone.
Posted 10/6/11

That makes no sense in a business model. How do you prove that sales in one product affected the sales in another when both are growing at amazingly steady positive rates? Even if one growth rate decreases, how do you attribute it to sales of one product affecting the other? Out of redundancy? If that's your argument, then it's not "nerfing" the iPod - it's simply streamlining their product line to reduce redundancies - and that brings up your next point...


It's not necessarily redundant, yes they're pretty much the same device, but the iPod Touch as we both now isn't a daily driver, it's more of a sidekick, and people get iPod Touches to play games and for the multimedia functionality, without draining your battery life on your slightly more important device, if they're both growing, I don't see the need to streamline, it'll be less money for them in the long run, people who want a Touch, Want just that, a Touch, and it's a guarantee that it will not make the iPhone 4S sell any better, it'll sit there until the next iTouch comes out.


That makes no sense, either. If I wanted an iPhone but I didn't have the cash, I'd settle for A DIFFERENT SMART PHONE. All that the iPod Touch has is the iOS software, but nothing else that the iPhone boasts as a smart phone. The only reasonable update that the iPod has is by lieu of its iOS update, allowing you to send messages via a Wi-Fi network. Sure, it would've been great to include 3G, but like you said - that would make things redundant... but that wouldn't make someone buy an iPod + phone combo because the iPhone is more expensive.


Settle for a different smart phone? Not only is that quite idiotic, since by smart phone, if you mean Android and Windows Phone 7, they're not any cheaper, I meant cheaper by a data plan, if you have enough money for any smartphone, you have enough for the iPhone, the 3GS is now free...... it's the data plan on the iPhone is what makes the iPod Touch sell so well.

The iPhone is tied to gay-ass carriers, who WILL throttle, cap and do god knows what else to your precious data.

People will get the iTouch for other reasons, such as the iPhone not being available to them, anyone else notice how the iPhone didn't show up on BoostMobile, Metro, Cricket or T-Mobile? And I'm one of the people who would buy an iTouch, I want iOS but not monthly fees.


A tip on business models - don't cross compare your own products. They have their own market shares in spite of the integration that they share. Plus, how do you even prove that the iPod Touch is outselling the iPhone? Sales? There's no comparison there because they are completely different markets!


Actually you just nudged on the possibly the markets are very close together, otherwise there would be no point in stubbing the Touch's growth if they were completely different markets, there would be no point in streamlining the products if they were separate markets,

Teens in High school wouldn't buy the iPhone for a sidekick device, but they would eat the iTouch up in a second, it's an iPod(Popular), it has the capability of the iPhone, and it has no monthly plan, parents eat it up.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/09/08/ubs-2011-ipad-sales-to-total-28-million-iphone-52-million/

iPhone sales = 52 Million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch

iPod Touch sales = 60 Million

That enough proof?

Why do you keep ringling on about different markets? The markets are pretty much the same, Steve Jobs himself said the iPod Touch is a iPhone with training wheels, it's available for everyone that way and not just if you have the right carrier and WITHOUT payment plans, anyone who likes the iPhone, likes the iPod Touch,

If you took a guy's iPhone 4 and gave him an Android and a iPod Touch 4 generation, he wouldn't be complaining, he'd jam music on his iPod and surf the net of the Android.


The iPod Touch destroyed its competition of digital music players in terms of sales. The iPhone 4 destroyed its competition of smart phones in sales. They didn't destroy each other, because they're different things, altogether.


Like we already stated, the iPod Touch brought down the iPhone sales,

iPod Touch is half of iPod sales,

iPhone 4 is half of all iPhone sales.

They're NOT different things altogether, if they were, the iPod would have sported a new camera and a dual core processor and would have been updated technology, not color...


In time, I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in an A5 into the iPod - but they need to make people focus their attention on the iPhone 4S, first. Don't take out all your smoking guns at once. Basic marketing tactics.


Steve Jobs did it, and he succeeded, everytime the iPhone got an update, so did the iPod Touch. and there was even a part in time where the iPod Touch outpaced the iPhone in everything.


This iPhone 4 is major letdown, I like Apple products a bit,

but this iPhone 4S is more like iPhone 4 Suckers,



How was the iPhone 4 a major let down? It currently comprises 50% of all the iPhones they've ever sold. You make no sense.


Your reply is my old comment, only pointing out things you missed the first time around.


Bitter that it's just white? Nothing's stopping them from releasing something else in the near future. It's a totally different market from the iPhone, so I really can't see why you're comparing the orange with the lemon.


They're not all the different, the iPod Touch sports all the iPhone features, ALL of them, I'm bitter as hell because I was waiting for an iPod Touch update, but all we got was a nerfed device because Tim Cock personally likes the iPhone more.

3G can be replaced by Wifi so don't try it~


To be honest, the "difference" happened LONG ago when the iPad 2 came out. You should've noticed.


I know Tim Cock took over the helm awhile go, but the iPad 2 was in production before he become the creative innovator and CEO, in other words, if Steve was still the CEO, we would have still have an iPad 2 in our local electronic store.


Isn't that why they developed iOS5? Android isn't a product in itself - it's an OS. So why are you comparing the iPod Touch to Android when you should be comparing iOS5 to Android?


I didn't compare them?? I said people would get an Android and a Touch to have both OSes, not products, you must be reading invisible HTML.


No, I don't


Right.


Notice what else is odd with your statement. That $99 price tag on the iPhone 4 is CARRIER DEPENDENT, meaning you have to pay a fixed plan rate for a minimum of 2 years. You're simply adding $99 cash layout the moment you purchase the phone for the unit itself, but each month you're paying a fixed plan. The iPod is purchased WITHOUT A CARRIER because it isn't even a mobile phone to begin with - hence, the higher selling price. Really, I can't believe you're comparing them like this...


So which are you saying? It's 99$ on AT&T or Verizon?

99$ is the 2 Year contract price of the iPhone 4, without the contract is about.... 399$ or 499$,

The most costly iPod Touch is 399$, So the outright price plays little part in why the devices perform so different...



48262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Fargo, North Dakota
Offline
Posted 10/6/11
i enjoy people talking shit about the specs of phones....what the fuck runs on a phone that actually makes it use all the "horsepower" under the hood. nothing...nothing at all 500-700MB of RAM is more than enough for a phone right now 1GB is stupid and unnecessary. a 1Ghz processor regardless of dual core or not is more than enough god forbid people wait another 2 seconds for something to load.
Posted 10/6/11

corsair857 wrote:

i enjoy people talking shit about the specs of phones....what the fuck runs on a phone that actually makes it use all the "horsepower" under the hood. nothing...nothing at all 500-700MB of RAM is more than enough for a phone right now 1GB is stupid and unnecessary. a 1Ghz processor regardless of dual core or not is more than enough god forbid people wait another 2 seconds for something to load.


Infinity Blade 2,

Google it,

Technology needs to advance faster, and Apple needs to pick up the slack, another iPhone should take 12 months, not 16.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.