First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why you should go for the dub first
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11
I don't know why people think that the sub is always better. Here's why blindly adoring the sub doesn't make sense:

No matter how fast you can read you still have to take your eyes off the focus of the screen to read the sub. And anime is not meant to be read.

Japanese doesn't translate perfectly into English so the subtitles aren't exactly what they are saying. So you're not watching a truly original show anyway.

Since Japanese and English are 2 different languages with entirely different ways of speaking, there is no way for an English speaker to pick up subtle emotions or moods in Japanese voices. All you can really pick up is happy, sad, and angry, and even they aren't always certain. The only real way to get emotion in a sub is through the animation and facial expressions of the characters, but if you are busy reading subtitles you may be missing some of it.

And because the languages are so different, an English speaker really can't tell if a Japanese voice actor sucks or not (Unless they REALLY suck). But most people just assume that they are good which is silly.

American voice actors don't all suck. In fact there are many that are masterful at voice acting. And nowadays most anime use a select group of voice actors who have proven themselves to be very good at it and therefore viewers don't need to worry about getting some newbie voice actor that will ruin a series. There really isn't much in the way of bad American voice acting anymore. Not much at all.

But you say that they have to change the script when translating it into English?! Well like I said before they do the same for the sub. Maybe not as much but they still do.

So by saying NO to dubs you are only cheating yourself and missing out on some amazing voice acting.

Of course there are anime with bad dubs but like I said it's very rare nowadays. And besides there ARE older anime with great dubs too. Cowboy Bebop for example. Nobody can deny it's incredible dub and many sub fans even prefer the dub.

So I guess in the end all you have to do is find out beforehand. If you find out that the dub is good, than you should definitely watch it first. If it's not then you should settle for the sub. But you should never surpass a dub if you don't have to because you'll miss out. Of course if there is no dub than it's gotta be the sub!

So there. Please don't get too mad at me.

NOTE:

I have nothing against people who prefer subs. This is just my opinion on why I believe dubs are better in most cases. If you think subs are better then I respect your opinion.
Posted 10/4/11
I usually check out both tbh. So no need to hate on either :p
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
Or we can just watch whatever we want and not try to force our opinions onto other people.
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11

KleinerSkollexxx wrote:

Or we can just watch whatever we want and not try to force our opinions onto other people.


Haha force? I'm not forcing anything. This is simply just a recommendation and a response to all of the dub hate out there. Take it how you want to cuz it makes no difference to me. But don't be rude.
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 10/4/11


I'm not being rude, disagreeing with you doesn't automatically make me rude. You seem to hold some hate towards those who prefer subs, even though it doesn't really matter. Wether you watch subs or dubs, it's pretty much the same thing but in a different language. Nobody's missing out on anything just by watching the subs. I agree with you in the sense that people shouldn't just blindly love dubs, because there are some good dubs out there too, but that doesn't mean either of them are any better than the other.
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11
I completely agree. People say they watch subs to get the "actual Japanese experience," yet if you don't speak Japanese you aren't getting very much experience now are you?

As for me, I usually check out what's available, whether it be dub or sub.
483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Clinton Massachus...
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
i personally prefer subs but ill agree there are some awesome dubs out there like FMA and Gurren Lagann.
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11

KleinerSkollexxx wrote:



I'm not being rude, disagreeing with you doesn't automatically make me rude. You seem to hold some hate towards those who prefer subs, even though it doesn't really matter. Wether you watch subs or dubs, it's pretty much the same thing but in a different language. Nobody's missing out on anything just by watching the subs. I agree with you in the sense that people shouldn't just blindly love dubs, because there are some good dubs out there too, but that doesn't mean either of them are any better than the other.


I really don't want to argue with you but you didn't just simply disagree with me. You said I was forcing my opinions and you did so in a sarcastic manner. That's rude.

And of course I don't hate subs or those who watch them because I watch subs too! All I did was explain why I think you should go for the dub first. It's just my opinion and I think I stated it rather respectfully and certainly without force.

Like I said it's a response to dub hate. But its not a comeback.

23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 10/4/11



You're personally insulting the way I talk, I guess that's not rude either.

I don't see the difference in watching either first, but I also don't see much point in rewatching a series (though there're exceptions).
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11

suzzanuzza wrote:

No matter how fast you can read you still have to take your eyes off the focus of the screen to read the sub. And anime is not meant to be read.


Just learn japanese then :P
Kidding, no a little bit serious.
But when you have watched alot of anime in japanese, you do pick up alot of the words and such. I`ve watched alot and I can enjoy a raw too.



Japanese doesn't translate perfectly into English so the subtitles aren't exactly what they are saying. So you're not watching a truly original show anyway.


As long as I can understand the context, I don`t care if the subs are a little bit off.



And because the languages are so different, an English speaker really can't tell if a Japanese voice actor sucks or not (Unless they REALLY suck). But most people just assume that they are good which is silly.


There are some voice actors/actresses that I don`t like, and thats the same for everyone.
But the japanese voice actors/actresses love their job, they get really into it, do their best all the time, unlike what it sounds like most of the eng dubbers do. The eng. dubbers sounds like they`re bored, like they`d rather be doing something else.



American voice actors don't all suck. In fact there are many that are masterful at voice acting. And nowadays most anime use a select group of voice actors who have proven themselves to be very good at it and therefore viewers don't need to worry about getting some newbie voice actor that will ruin a series. There really isn't much in the way of bad American voice acting anymore. Not much at all.


Of course not, but most do.
If there`s already a select group, then they should really select someone new :P



But you say that they have to change the script when translating it into English?! Well like I said before they do the same for the sub. Maybe not as much but they still do.


Watch subs by fansubbers, they don`t censore it, most of the time.
Official subbers have to keep the kids in mind, thus making the subs child friendly.



So by saying NO to dubs you are only cheating yourself and missing out on some amazing voice acting.


Neh.



Of course there are anime with bad dubs but like I said it's very rare nowadays. And besides there ARE older anime with great dubs too. Cowboy Bebop for example. Nobody can deny it's incredible dub and many sub fans even prefer the dub.


Good dubs are still rare.
The Funimation dub of Fairy Tail ep 1 was horrible, every voice in it was horrible.


I will never go for dubs first, becaus dubs aren`t out first ;-)
Subs always come first.
I won`t sit around and wait for weeks or months when I know that a new ep of my favorite anime is out.

The Samurai Champloo dub is good.
-----



LosingOrbit wrote:

I completely agree. People say they watch subs to get the "actual Japanese experience," yet if you don't speak Japanese you aren't getting very much experience now are you?

As for me, I usually check out what's available, whether it be dub or sub.


Now I got deja-vu.
I`ve discussed subs & dubs with you before :P
Not going to this time though, too tired hehe.
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11

Des85 wrote:

Of course not, but most do.
If there`s already a select group, then they should really select someone new :P

.


Haha well I like them!



Posted 10/4/11


I don't even remember you.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 10/4/11

LosingOrbit wrote:

I don't even remember you.


No worries, I`m not exactly active, well other then in this section, and I`m just a regular member
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11

Des85 wrote:

Good dubs are still rare.
The Funimation dub of Fairy Tail ep 1 was horrible, every voice in it was horrible.



I probably haven't seen many bad dubs because I usually check the user ratings on Anime News Network and usually only watch anime that are really highly rated. And these shows probably get better taken care of by dubbers because they know it's a really good show.

I just don't have the patience and the money to watch every anime so I only reach for the ones that I know will probably be good.

54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
The only dubbed anime that I liked was Great Teacher Onizuka.
Other than that, I prefer subbed.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.