First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why you should go for the dub first
_Baka 
46054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / OC, California
Offline
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11

LosingOrbit wrote:

I completely agree. People say they watch subs to get the "actual Japanese experience," yet if you don't speak Japanese you aren't getting very much experience now are you?

As for me, I usually check out what's available, whether it be dub or sub.


I've personally never heard anyone say they watch subs to get the "actual Japanese experience". And I have several friends who watch subs, pretty much for all the same reason.

Plain and simple the voices fit better in Japanese. Even if you can't understand 100% of what they're saying. Dubs are typically not as good as subs. That and there's a ton of jokes that are hilarious in Japanese but make no sense translated in to dub.

Edit: That's not to say I don't still watch some dubbed animes. I do. But I prefer subs.
2490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
lol yea u can get the same feeling out of it... just watch anime a lot n if ur actually into the show then ur guna get wat they mean its not that different just cus japanese n english r 2 different languages... n no im not trying 2 push my opinion on anyone but after a while u start 2 pick up words naturally so even if the subs. arnt perfect you still get the feeling of it and u know exactly (or almost) what they're talkin about anyway..

and yea u r right at some points like not all dubs. r bad.. personally i like full metal panic n some stupid/funny shows on funimation dubbed better becuase they're waaayy funnier (to me at least )
435 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Ninjas are everyw...
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
I started out watching dub for bleach. TBH your right, dub can be pretty good if done right. I personally found the dub for Bleach and Code Geass pretty enjoyable. But I don't know what your talking about when you say you have to take your eyes off the screen. I'm above average when it comes to reading speed, but even then i have no problem with following along with subs and watching at the same time. You don't need to read every single word. Just read a couple and you can usually guess and be right at what they are communicating. Also, it sounds so unnatural. It's like if someone recorded your life to show future generations or something, but then got some guy from the other side of the world to provide voicing. It just sounds WEIRD.

I prefer watching things the way they were originally intended to be.
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11

_Baka wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:

I completely agree. People say they watch subs to get the "actual Japanese experience," yet if you don't speak Japanese you aren't getting very much experience now are you?

As for me, I usually check out what's available, whether it be dub or sub.


I've personally never heard anyone say they watch subs to get the "actual Japanese experience". And I have several friends who watch subs, pretty much for all the same reason.

Plain and simple the voices fit better in Japanese. Even if you can't understand 100% of what they're saying. Dubs are typically not as good as subs. That and there's a ton of jokes that are hilarious in Japanese but make no sense translated in to dub.

Edit: That's not to say I don't still watch some dubbed animes. I do. But I prefer subs.



I've personally never heard anyone say they watch subs to get the "actual Japanese experience".


Then obviously, we know different people.


Plain and simple the voices fit better in Japanese.


So because you say "plain and simple" it makes it so? Frankly, if an anime setting is in New York (Baccano and Red Garden for example), I would rather hear the voices in English, just saying.


Even if you can't understand 100% of what they're saying.


Than what would be the purpose of such? Which brings me to ask how do you know if something is said or done correctly if you can't speak it? Because it sounds right? I believe it's more complicated than that, but hey that's just me.


Dubs are typically not as good as subs.


Let's just agree to disagree on that one. For I have seen plenty of dubs that say otherwise.


That and there's a ton of jokes that are hilarious in Japanese but make no sense translated in to dub.


Sometimes a term in one language may have no equivalent in another. What maybe funny to them, may not translate well with us. In fact, it could be far from funny, maybe even offensive. That's just the way it goes.

I don't really care if you prefer subs, frankly I watch both.
28941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
Most of the time i see shows when they don't have a Dub yet and when it comes out all my favorite characters sound like shit. Theres a few dubs i like though Baccano, Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ.
_Baka 
46054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / OC, California
Offline
Posted 10/4/11

I'm sorry you took that as a personal attack. But the way you were talking was the same way I was. Which is based on individual opinions. I never meant nor hinted towards "plain and simple" meaning you should agree. I'm not here to convince anyone that subs are better.
You also took a portion of one of my sentences and answered it accordingly which makes it a completely different statement. Do you honestly watch anime in subs and seriously wonder, "hmm I can't understand them so I wonder if the text is what they're REALLY saying". No if you're watching an anime, chances are you like it for what it is. Regardless if it's a bit off or not.
When it comes down to it, I think the voices in Japanese capture the characters much better than dubbed english voices. That's my opinion. So again I'm sorry you took that personally. But you don't have to get all snippy about it. Seeing as your voicing yours as well.
13278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
i personally like both subbed and dubbed. i find that i'll watch a fair amount of shows subbed if some of my favourite japanese voice actors are key characters in the the anime even if there is a dub available. there are a few english voice actors whose voices bother me so i would more then likely watch it subbed. using one of the examples given in this thread Fairy Tail i would have to say that if i buy the dvd of it i would be watching it subbed just because i dont like the sound of Todd Haberkorn's voice also having watched the first episode dubbed on Funimation's site to see how it sounded in english i found that it wasnt as enjoyable to my ears.

i think too sometimes when you've watched something subbed first it is hard to watch it dubbed same thing happens when you've watched in reversed (dubbed/subbed) or at least that has been my experience. the plus to watching something dubbed is that there isnt the need to read subtitles so you can focus on the entire show instead of having to be aware of the text in the subtitles
Posted 10/4/11

_Baka wrote:


I'm sorry you took that as a personal attack. But the way you were talking was the same way I was. Which is based on individual opinions. I never meant nor hinted towards "plain and simple" meaning you should agree. I'm not here to convince anyone that subs are better.
You also took a portion of one of my sentences and answered it accordingly which makes it a completely different statement. Do you honestly watch anime in subs and seriously wonder, "hmm I can't understand them so I wonder if the text is what they're REALLY saying". No if you're watching an anime, chances are you like it for what it is. Regardless if it's a bit off or not.
When it comes down to it, I think the voices in Japanese capture the characters much better than dubbed english voices. That's my opinion. So again I'm sorry you took that personally. But you don't have to get all snippy about it. Seeing as your voicing yours as well.


I never took it as being personal, nor an attack and yes, I do watch subs and wonder if the translation is correct. I expect at least that much, since I would assume that these people knew what they were translating, otherwise I would have just watched the dub. Although I would love to see it in the same "like it for what it is" attitude as you, that just doesn't cut it for me. For me, I just like to watch my anime in peace and not care if it's sub or dub. Also, sorry if I took one of your statements out of context and if I came off as being "snippy," but I cannot for the life of me understand why these arguments take place.
_Baka 
46054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / OC, California
Offline
Posted 10/4/11

LosingOrbit wrote:



I never took it as being personal, nor an attack and yes, I do watch subs and wonder if the translation is correct. I expect at least that much, since I would assume that these people knew what they were translating, otherwise I would have just watched the dub. Although I would love to see it in the same "like it for what it is" attitude as you, that just doesn't cut it for me. For me, I just like to watch my anime in peace and not care if it's sub or dub. Also, sorry if I took one of your statements out of context and if I came off as being "snippy," but I cannot for the life of me understand why these arguments take place.


You answered your own doubt. "I would assume that these people knew what they were translating". I don't see your problem now.
I never posted to argue. I posted to voice my opinion. You took it and made it an argument. You didn't "come off" as being snippy, you flat out were. "I don't really care if you prefer subs, frankly I watch both." But I'm not going to go down to that level. I'm better than that.
I'm going to say this again. I do watch dubs. And there are some animes that I prefer in Dub. It's all personal preference.

Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11

_Baka wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:



I never took it as being personal, nor an attack and yes, I do watch subs and wonder if the translation is correct. I expect at least that much, since I would assume that these people knew what they were translating, otherwise I would have just watched the dub. Although I would love to see it in the same "like it for what it is" attitude as you, that just doesn't cut it for me. For me, I just like to watch my anime in peace and not care if it's sub or dub. Also, sorry if I took one of your statements out of context and if I came off as being "snippy," but I cannot for the life of me understand why these arguments take place.


You answered your own doubt. "I would assume that these people knew what they were translating". I don't see your problem now.
I never posted to argue. I posted to voice my opinion. You took it and made it an argument. You didn't "come off" as being snippy, you flat out were. "I don't really care if you prefer subs, frankly I watch both." But I'm not going to go down to that level. I'm better than that.
I'm going to say this again. I do watch dubs. And there are some animes that I prefer in Dub. It's all personal preference.



Neither did I, yet you replied to me. I was only stating my opinion just as you were yours. Sometimes it comes off strong, yet I never intended for it to be "snippy." If it came off that way, than excuse me. I was neither frustrated or mad, there is no reason for me to be. You like subs, fine. Let me reiterate myself by saying I like both. I have no idea what you mean by being "better than that" or "going down that level," but whatever way you choose to go on about this conversation is up to you.
_Baka 
46054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / OC, California
Offline
Posted 10/4/11

LosingOrbit wrote:



Neither did I, yet you replied to me. I was only stating my opinion just as you were yours. Sometimes it comes off strong, yet I never intended for it to be "snippy." If it came off that way, than excuse me. I was neither frustrated or mad, there is no reason for me to be. You like subs, fine. Let me reiterate myself by saying I like both. I have no idea what you mean by being "better than that" or "going down that level," but whatever way you choose to go on about this conversation is up to you.

That's good enough for me. The conversation has no point in going further. We've established a mutual agreement that we both have opinions that are neither right nor wrong.
As for not understanding what I meant by "better than that" and "going down to that level". I merely meant that I won't go and say, "I don't care if you prefer this and that". It's pretty rude. But you already apologized for it so that's that.
Posted 10/4/11

_Baka wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:



Neither did I, yet you replied to me. I was only stating my opinion just as you were yours. Sometimes it comes off strong, yet I never intended for it to be "snippy." If it came off that way, than excuse me. I was neither frustrated or mad, there is no reason for me to be. You like subs, fine. Let me reiterate myself by saying I like both. I have no idea what you mean by being "better than that" or "going down that level," but whatever way you choose to go on about this conversation is up to you.

That's good enough for me. The conversation has no point in going further. We've established a mutual agreement that we both have opinions that are neither right nor wrong.
As for not understanding what I meant by "better than that" and "going down to that level". I merely meant that I won't go and say, "I don't care if you prefer this and that". It's pretty rude. But you already apologized for it so that's that.


Agreed.
1658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Wonderland
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
I stick to the dubs since I can't really see what's happening when I'm reading it,and I'm a pretty fast reader
And it's true there are some dubs that I personally think are better than the original; Death Note,Hetalia(It's funnier)
There are bad dubs and there are good ones and average ones
If there's no dubs,then I go to the sub,if it's bad I go watch the subs.Everyone has a choice.But it's just a pity some people don't even bother looking at the dub ones.
6308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Virginia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/4/11

suzzanuzza wrote:

I don't know why people think that the sub is always better. Here's why blindly adoring the sub doesn't make sense:

...

Japanese doesn't translate perfectly into English so the subtitles aren't exactly what they are saying. So you're not watching a truly original show anyway.

You contradict your point here. Why would a dub be any better if the meanings are lost through the translation and localization process? Wouldn't it at least be equal to or better than a dub that has spoken lines translated from the native language in which it was written? Note: This applies either way, Japanese to English and visa versa.

Since Japanese and English are 2 different languages with entirely different ways of speaking, there is no way for an English speaker to pick up subtle emotions or moods in Japanese voices. All you can really pick up is happy, sad, and angry, and even they aren't always certain. The only real way to get emotion in a sub is through the animation and facial expressions of the characters, but if you are busy reading subtitles you may be missing some of it.

This isn't necessarily true. Languages are also very tonal. Emphases on words or pitch can many times say much more than the words themselves. Have you ever tried watching subbed anime muted. I have. It loses a lot of the entertainment factor that is essential to any form of media.

And because the languages are so different, an English speaker really can't tell if a Japanese voice actor sucks or not (Unless they REALLY suck). But most people just assume that they are good which is silly.
That is debatable.
...


71337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Netherlands
Offline
Posted 10/4/11 , edited 10/4/11
hmm i prefer subs bc i cant get to like the English voices on anny dubs ive try'd so far. So horrible
Though i can always read the subs without missing annything of the show like some here do, so i gues thats a good reason to go dub
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.