First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Why you should go for the dub first
Posted 10/4/11
So you don't have to read
78256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Within the Empire...
Offline
Posted 10/4/11

suzzanuzza wrote:


Des85 wrote:

Good dubs are still rare.
The Funimation dub of Fairy Tail ep 1 was horrible, every voice in it was horrible.



I probably haven't seen many bad dubs because I usually check the user ratings on Anime News Network and usually only watch anime that are really highly rated. And these shows probably get better taken care of by dubbers because they know it's a really good show.

I just don't have the patience and the money to watch every anime so I only reach for the ones that I know will probably be good.



See I think that's a big part of the problem with the position your taking right there and why some looking at this thread would have a hard time agreeing with you. I have met my fair share of dub haters and had to listen to their stupid rants about why they hate them & why they think subs are better and all that. And while I have tried to convince people that not all dubs are bad and that there are some good quality dubs out there, even my reasons have to give way to the reality of physics. There are tons of shows out there that don't get licensed for overseas distribution and thus don't get a dub. And even when they do get licensed and even if it is right after it gets released in Japan, it can take almost a year or more before the dub gets released. Why wait for several months or even a year or two or longer for a dub of a series which may or may not ever come seeing as some series are being released as sub only these days, when you can watch a series right after it comes out in Japan and form your own opinion on it?

Watching only shows that get good ratings on ANN really limits the average anime viewer. I too don't watch every anime that comes out, but in the modern 21st century and the abilities of the internet there's no reason why a person can't go online and read or watch a preview of an upcoming show and/or even watch an episode or two and determine if it's something they should invest their time in it.

As for the argument that you have to look away from the action to read the subs, I rarely have to look away from the screen to watch the subs. It's just like driving a car. I can keep my eye focused on the road and only glance at the dashboard every couple of seconds to watch my gauges and not miss a thing. Most of the time I can read faster than the voice actor can speak, so it's rare that I have to really look hard at the subs. And on the rare occasions that I do (especially if there is a translation note at the top or something in addition to the subs) then that's when you just rewind it a couple secs and watch it again (or even pause it at that moment to read all the details). These moments are rare, and as much as I like to promote dubs, even I have to admit you can get a lot more out of the show by doing this.
47536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
I say I stick with subs if my favorite VAs are in it. Because dubbed some character sound like absolute bitches or complete assholes in english or any other language. For Example Naruto always saying the Dattabayo all of the time sounds retarded in english always yelling believe it or as I seen in German he usually has it as an insult so it makes him seem like hes completely rude. Thats just one case out of many on why I watch subbed instead of dubbed.
Posted 10/4/11
i prefer watching anime in sub but there are really some good English dubs out there like yu yu hakusho,dragonball z,great teacher onizuka,death note
jree78 
70286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
If I need to decide whether a dub is good or not I compare it to Black Lagoon or Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny. The dub for Black Lagoon is awesome, much better than say Ikitousen Dragon Destiny which is bad. I compare all dubs to those two if the dub is closer to Lagoon I listen, closer to dragon destiny, I go for the subtitled version. I prefer subs on Crunchyroll more than say ANN or Funimation, because in my opinion they are timed better thus i'm not reading lots of type but missing the show. I can read fast anyway and I can tell what's going on in my peripheral vision. After a while you get used to subs and you even learn Japanese phrases. Black Lagoon, the Evangelion movies/anime series, are my favorite dubs and subs, have them all on DVD. For the most part I enjoy subtitled anime.
65218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/5/11

LosingOrbit wrote: [...] I cannot for the life of me understand why these arguments take place.


You mean about dubs vs. subs arguments?

Because you're dealing with passionate people. Passionate people are opinionated people. It's par for the course: any such group in communications with each other will even argue about arguably insignificant things.

The world would be a pretty boring place without passionate, opinionated people though, right?

I say this as if I'm uninvolved, but I totally am. I'm of the "I'll watch whatever localization I feel like watching, don't try to tell me what to do" crowd, so I will admit that the OP hit my "don't try to tell me what to do" nerve. I had to exercise restraint to not write up a rant about not categorically advocating either subs or dubs in response to the OP.
Dremux 
63853 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Salem
Offline
Posted 10/5/11 , edited 10/5/11
I prefer subs personally. I've studied Japanese for about six years and have been there twice. It's a "no duh" thing that subs won't exactly match up with what they are saying at times. But, when you've studied and heard and held prolonged conversations in Japanese, you kind of understand what they're saying anyways. I can watch RAWs yeah, but I don't.

The only dub I have ever preferred over the sub is FMA, the Japanese voice actor for Edward hurt my ears. Which is strange because I can handle the mousy voiced characters with relative ease. The only other dubs I liked are for Cowboy Bebop and Baccano. Dubs aren't better, a lot of the time things get lost in translation or the voice actors aren't really into the role and they just can't capture the feeling of the series very well.

But with this:

"Since Japanese and English are 2 different languages with entirely different ways of speaking, there is no way for an English speaker to pick up subtle emotions or moods in Japanese voices. All you can really pick up is happy, sad, and angry, and even they aren't always certain. The only real way to get emotion in a sub is through the animation and facial expressions of the characters, but if you are busy reading subtitles you may be missing some of it."

This just sounds like you think English speakers who watch subs are idiots who can't tell how a character is feeling unless they are making an overly exaggerated expression to get the emotion across. I'm an English speaker, even when I first started to watch anime I could easily read the emotion through the voice alone. Don't just write us off as dullards.

Final thought: Even though I said all of that, this is just my opinion, watch whatever the hell you want and don't care what others are watching. If they are getting enjoyment out of a series, let them be. Isn't it better if we all are just happy that we are watching a good anime, be it subbed or dubbed? Support what we all enjoy by letting the industry know we are wanting more through views and buying DVDs and all that.
135470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/5/11

Dremux wrote:

I prefer subs personally. I've studied Japanese for about six years and have been there twice. It's a "no duh" thing that subs won't exactly match up with what they are saying at times. But, when you've studied and heard and held prolonged conversations in Japanese, you kind of understand what they're saying anyways. I can watch RAWs yeah, but I don't.

The only dub I have ever preferred over the sub is FMA, the Japanese voice actor for Edward hurt my ears. Which is strange because I can handle the mousy voiced characters with relative ease. The only other dubs I liked are for Cowboy Bebop and Baccano. Dubs aren't better, a lot of the time things get lost in translation or the voice actors aren't really into the role and they just can't capture the feeling of the series very well.

But with this:

"Since Japanese and English are 2 different languages with entirely different ways of speaking, there is no way for an English speaker to pick up subtle emotions or moods in Japanese voices. All you can really pick up is happy, sad, and angry, and even they aren't always certain. The only real way to get emotion in a sub is through the animation and facial expressions of the characters, but if you are busy reading subtitles you may be missing some of it."

This just sounds like you think English speakers who watch subs are idiots who can't tell how a character is feeling unless they are making an overly exaggerated expression to get the emotion across. I'm an English speaker, even when I first started to watch anime I could easily read the emotion through the voice alone. Don't just write us off as dullards.

Final thought: Even though I said all of that, this is just my opinion, watch whatever the hell you want and don't care what others are watching. If they are getting enjoyment out of a series, let them be. Isn't it better if we all are just happy that we are watching a good anime, sub or dub? Support what we all enjoy by letting the industry know we are wanting more through views and buying DVDs and all that.


My thoughts exactly. I prefer subs and I agree with your logic regarding the differences between Japanese and English in that they convey one's emotions differently and cannot always be equally translated. Therefore subs and dubs of anime can't be compared fairly.

From what I can tell though, it's safe to say Japanese culture generally uses less verbal communication than English and so that oftentimes produces difficulties in translations. That honestly doesn't have any bearing on listening to a Japanese audio track though. I watch subs because I find the Japanese dialogue more relevant to what is actually being shown on screen even if some words and expressions can't be directly translated via text. Plus, I think Japanese voice actors do a better job of portraying characters that are being obviously written from a Japanese perspective.

The saying I personally use is "It ain't anime unless it's in Japanese". I just find listening to the Japanese audio that rewarding and liken it to a Japanese speaker listening to English language music; it's just something that shouldn't be altered. Now like you said these opinions are merely opinions and I would never force them on anyone else.
30948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/5/11 , edited 10/5/11

suzzanuzza wrote:

I don't know why people think that the sub is always better. Here's why blindly adoring the sub doesn't make sense:

No matter how fast you can read you still have to take your eyes off the focus of the screen to read the sub. And anime is not meant to be read.

Japanese doesn't translate perfectly into English so the subtitles aren't exactly what they are saying. So you're not watching a truly original show anyway.

Since Japanese and English are 2 different languages with entirely different ways of speaking, there is no way for an English speaker to pick up subtle emotions or moods in Japanese voices. All you can really pick up is happy, sad, and angry, and even they aren't always certain. The only real way to get emotion in a sub is through the animation and facial expressions of the characters, but if you are busy reading subtitles you may be missing some of it.

And because the languages are so different, an English speaker really can't tell if a Japanese voice actor sucks or not (Unless they REALLY suck). But most people just assume that they are good which is silly.

American voice actors don't all suck. In fact there are many that are masterful at voice acting. And nowadays most anime use a select group of voice actors who have proven themselves to be very good at it and therefore viewers don't need to worry about getting some newbie voice actor that will ruin a series. There really isn't much in the way of bad American voice acting anymore. Not much at all.

But you say that they have to change the script when translating it into English?! Well like I said before they do the same for the sub. Maybe not as much but they still do.

So by saying NO to dubs you are only cheating yourself and missing out on some amazing voice acting.

Of course there are anime with bad dubs but like I said it's very rare nowadays. And besides there ARE older anime with great dubs too. Cowboy Bebop for example. Nobody can deny it's incredible dub and many sub fans even prefer the dub.

So I guess in the end all you have to do is find out beforehand. If you find out that the dub is good, than you should definitely watch it first. If it's not then you should settle for the sub. But you should never surpass a dub if you don't have to because you'll miss out. Of course if there is no dub than it's gotta be the sub!

So there. Please don't get too mad at me.

NOTE:

I have nothing against people who prefer subs. This is just my opinion on why I believe dubs are better in most cases. If you think subs are better then I respect your opinion.


Well said. Personally I prefer the subs, but that's mostly because I was introduced to anime that way, and after a few years of Japanese voice acting, listening to American voice acting is really weird. On top of that, I'm Australian, so the American accent itself sounds kind of weird in a cartoon :P


EDIT: Actually, I first saw Fullmetal Alchemist with English dub, and thought the voice acting was really good. But then I saw Bleach with the English dub, and thought the voice acting was beyond terrible.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Learn how to read faster :P
You don`t have to read every single words in the subs to understand the context ;-)
Unless the font is really bad with text effects
38537 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
The only time I'd ever go to a dub vs. a sub version of anything (whether it's anime or a movie in a language that is foreign to me) is when there is no sub available. I don't speak Japanese, but I can definitely pick up intonation in the speech, which I believe is due to myself watching subs and being ever so mildly familiar with the language. Sure, the subs and dubs have to be translated which may not always translate very well, but I can tell you this for sure... I have watched some Thai movies where the sub movie made sense, whereas the English dub completely altered the story, so much so I was uncomfortable even watching it since I knew how much was literally lost in translation.

I say, to each his/her own. Some people prefer subs, some dubs... people are always going to gravitate to what they ultimately think is best in their own opinion for themselves... what's best for you and what you think is better will not fit everyone, one size does not fit all.
Posted 10/5/11
I personally prefer watching dubs because I can't speak Japanese, (Would love to learn but honestly give the it some credit, it's a complicated language that you can't just pick up by watching a few anime). Not all of us are Japan fanatics and maybe unfamiliar with some of the nuances that are interpreted differently. For instance I've noticed that most of the comedic relief characters in subs have a higher octave slightly screechy voice which can get pretty annoying, however in some dubb's that is usually presented differently and in my opinion more originally as it doesn't come off as an annoying cliche.
I don't see why there is so much hate towards dubbed version, its not like because a dub exist it means the subbed will go out of existence. Its not a movie where you can clearly see the speech doesn't fit the movements. Just watch the one you want and stop spamming dubbed videos with your closed minded rhetoric. Dubbed anime opens up the media form to a whole bunch of people like me who don't like being ridiculed for it.

31057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
63
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
There is no way you can get a feel for the original intent of the anime producer by watching the dub first. You will miss much by going for the dub. I've given many of them a chance, but I've yet to hear one that matched the same vocal quality of the original Japanese cast. Dubbing can also mess up the sound quality. Sometimes sound effects end up missing, too. If you'd rather not read the subtitles, then by all means enjoy the dubbed version. I'd love to learn Japanese and not have to read the subs myself but, for me, it's far better than hearing the same old group of English voice actors giving the same old treatment to every character they voice for, and they never come close to the same emotional intensity I hear in the original voices.
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
I don't understand why some of you took my post the wrong way. I wasn't trying to tell anyone what to do. It's just my opinion. Everyone has one and nobodies is wrong.

So there's no need pick apart what I said and explain why I'm wrong. Simply disagreeing and then writing your own opinion would have been plenty. Trying to prove me wrong is totally unnecessary.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 10/5/11

suzzanuzza wrote:

I don't understand why some of you took my post the wrong way. I wasn't trying to tell anyone what to do. It's just my opinion. Everyone has one and nobodies is wrong.

So there's no need pick apart what I said and explain why I'm wrong. Simply disagreeing and then writing your own opinion would have been plenty. Trying to prove me wrong is totally unnecessary.


It`s the title ;-)
"Why you SHOULD"
That word is mistaken, people think from that, that you telling us what to do.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.