Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why would a straight guy read yaoi?
Posted 10/4/11
I heard some straight guys read yaoi. Unless they lied about it I don't see how it works
(same goes with yuri)
679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Suburbia
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
as long as it is sexual of a nature people will read almost anything....this coming from a person who has read both.
39876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
I have read both and Im a straight man, but mainly I go for the Yaoi if I end up reading something from the mangaka and I like the style they used. Or if it gets referenced like a few has been to me.
Dremux 
54773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Salem
Offline
Posted 10/4/11
Um... because he isn't straight... you kind of have the answer in your question. Obvious if you actually stop and think.
Posted 10/4/11
That means they are gay.
24485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / 1-Step ahead of you
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Sometimes a guy gets bored out of his mind and decides to try something new he's never done before. (No, i don't mean go F*ck another guy either) Cause he knows what's up in a co-ed manga. Typical romance, Rape, Tentacles, but guy on guy is a no-zone for men. Which is why men are usually rule breakers, yeah? lol xD No homo either. I'm as straight as can be. >_>
Posted 10/5/11 , edited 10/5/11

Dremux wrote:

Um... because he isn't straight... you kind of have the answer in your question. Obvious if you actually stop and think.


I said UNLESS. Maybe some are different
I'm trying to see some variety answers here


Edit: Yo I don't even think they lied. If you are gay and want to hide it, you don't go and tell people you read yaoi
Posted 10/5/11
If a straight guy is reading yaoi, its simply because he is researching what turns girls on when they see 2 boys rough-housing. either that or theyre just afraid to come out of the closet.
59585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Not straight.

Dremux 
54773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Salem
Offline
Posted 10/5/11

beastwashere wrote:


Dremux wrote:

Um... because he isn't straight... you kind of have the answer in your question. Obvious if you actually stop and think.


I said UNLESS. Maybe some are different
I'm trying to see some variety answers here


Edit: Yo I don't even think they lied. If you are gay and want to hide it, you don't go and tell people you read yaoi


Sorry, I guess I was rather rash in my post. I'm tired and at the time I wrote that I just got done dealing with some... annoyances, and wasn't in the most open of mindsets.

Honestly I have no idea why a straight guy would want yaoi. Actually now that I think about it I too have wondered why yaoi is so popular. I watch a lot of romance. A lot. I've watched yuri I like seeing how love can be found anywhere. I find it reassuring. No I don't like watching hentai, I think it is a waste of talent, but sex sells so whatever. One of the theories I've thought to why yaoi is popular is that the relationship between two men who fall in love is more... um... dang, now I'm thinking in circles and can't think of a good way to express my views with just text, it would take far too long and I think I'd just be running around with my thoughts and it'd just go no where fast.

Now I guess it's time to just jump in head first and see for myself. I hope I come out of this with as few scars as possible... Hopefully I'll get to see the whole picture. I mean I've watched standard romance and yuri, so I guess there is no reason not to see the last 1/3 of romance...
37743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Because not *all* yaoi is mindless smut. Some are very well written with actual plots. Not most, but some. Though I find an awful lot of yaoi to not be THAT sex based anyway considering it caters to young girls. I think a lot of people also get confused and label shounen-ai as yaoi, then go and read something like loveless(which I would hardly even consider shounen-ai) and say they read yaoi.

I have known a lot of "straight" girls who are in to yuri or even straight up lesbian porn. I think women are just more open about this sort of thing. I don't see any reason past societal conditioning that men should be absolutely appalled by anything having to do with two men together. The best straight men I've known have not had an issue with it.
Posted 10/5/11

lifeincircuit wrote:

Because not *all* yaoi is mindless smut. Some are very well written with actual plots. Not most, but some. Though I find an awful lot of yaoi to not be THAT sex based anyway considering it caters to young girls. I think a lot of people also get confused and label shounen-ai as yaoi, then go and read something like loveless(which I would hardly even consider shounen-ai) and say they read yaoi.

I have known a lot of "straight" girls who are in to yuri or even straight up lesbian porn. I think women are just more open about this sort of thing. I don't see any reason past societal conditioning that men should be absolutely appalled by anything having to do with two men together. The best straight men I've known have not had an issue with it.


I agree with you even though I've never watched or read yaoi/shounen-ai personally. I think if a guy or a girl is reading or watching something with a same sex relationship it doesn't necessarily mean they're not straight, just open minded about relationships and all that jazz.
23076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / look behind you...
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
Hmmmmmm... lol.
Just cuz men will read anything with sexual content.
I actually dont know why they would... Probably the character is bi-shounen or something...
30271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/11 , edited 10/5/11
As a straight guy, I would not read Yaoi. I did so by accident once, and as soon as the sex started I stopped reading and got rid of the book. With some yaoi, the feminine guy can really look like a girl, so I was fooled. I'll take straight and yuri of course, but no yaoi for me. So, yeah, no idea why a straight guy would read yaoi. If you like it, all the power to you of course, and enjoy, but it's not for me.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 10/5/11
is it a bad thing if i make my boyfriend watch yaoi with me..? ;;
I accidentally got him into Junjou.. now I'm kinda worried , since my sis introduced me to yaoi and her boyfriend scolded her once for watching it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.