First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Future diary/Mirai nikki first impressions
1755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/11
Mirai Nikki's anime was... inferior, in almost every single way, to the manga.

Animation overall was merely mediocre, and the whole production (so far) gave off the feel of a relatively low-budget anime series. And yes, I do watch HQ (720p). This was pretty expected (by me), as the production was by "Asread", but to this extent...

Secondly, Mirai Nikki is primarily a thriller. The manga's pacing and overall build-up of suspense was great. However, this is not done as well in the anime. Of course, this was caused by several different factors, such as animation quality, and music. Many of the scenes in the manga have been ruined in some way by colours, bad animation, or just a terrible choice of music.

Example being, at the end of episode 1, when everything is explained, What is up with Deus? The CG there was so badly planned, in the way that the backgrounds, characters, and Deus can't even be categorised in the same genre of Animation. They didn't fit together well, nor did they contrast each other in good ways.

The characters were also slightly changed. The original designs were good... they should have just stuck with them. An example, (although this is highly opinionated), is how Yuno has changed. Somehow, rather than loving her character personality, i.e. Yandere (and yes, I did love it in the manga), I felt it was somehow... slightly overexaggerated in the beginning (as in the episodes already out). There was no character build-up at all, and all of a sudden we just have this random yandere girl who seems to know everything that's going on. Not to mention the different (and terrible) poses she was put in (in the anime). All in all, I feel that her character disgusted me. Not too sure why though.

Last but not least, (I can't be bothered going too in depth), it WILL NOT FINISH WELL. If it goes 13 or 26 episodes (most likely 26 - They would be stupid to try for a small 13), it will definitely not finish well. Most likely, unless Asread can see a whole lot of profit from its popularity, it will also not get a second season, which can mean two other things. 1. It will finish with an "imaginary ending", i.e. not true to the manga. or 2. They will stuff so many chapters into the last few episodes that build-up of everything will completely die. Characters will not be developed, and storyline will be the main focus. However, it will be forced to skip several key development scenes, which will make it terrible anyway.

If it goes for longer than that, ~56 episodes, it will most likely GET WORSE. This is because it is Asread. Asread is a not well-known company, to say the least. Looking at their list of actual productions, they've only done boring anime, anime that never reached its full potential, or anime that got worse as time went on. Most likely, the same will happen in Mirai Nikki. Already in the first few episodes, examples of annoying, cheap and terrible animation has been seen, and it will almost certainly, not get better. Asread has NOT done any anime more than 56, so the possibility is already low, but most likely, they will either have to save their budget at the end, resulting in below average animation and below average anime.

In the first place, Mirai Nikki is more of a psychological drama anime/manga. It is NOT about the action scenes. However, if the animation is subpar most of the time, how could it be any good? Does anyone really want to watch an anime where an uglyly (yes I did just type that), drawn character is walking around? No.

In the first episode, they already screwed up the battle scene - NOBODY WALKS THAT SMOOTHLY. (Time of frame and picture at bottom.) Now, this is important because the first episode is the one anime producing companies put a decent amount of budget on. This is to grab watchers, because they are more likely to say, "Oh, this anime has good animation/storyline/characters, so it's probably going to be good at the end." than to say, "Oh, this looks like it COULD be good, so I'm going to watch till the end." No mater how you see it, the first is better, both for popularity and sales. BUT Mirai Nikki's first episode wasn't exactly that great, meaning, it will almost certainly get worse.

Now, I won't go too in depth, but here are some examples of terrible animation in the first episode. (First episode, as explained above).

Below - THE EYES!!! THE EYES!!! (After proclaiming that Mirai Nikki was going to be bad, my friend showed me this action scene. This was the first thing I noticed.) NOTE that I did watch the episode(s) after though. Obviously they didn't fulfill my expectations.



Below - As I said, it doesn't fit in.



Watch the BELOW at exactly 16:00 (first episode). NOBODY RUNS THAT SMOOTHLY = failed animation. Also, only just noticed now, but face.



(Cropped to show face)



Watch the BELOW AT 17:35, 1st episode - Problem here is that they TRIED to make it smooth and 3D, but FAILED, in that it doesn't fit in with the rest of that animation.



And final picture, a comparison of this anime with others. (I couldn't really find any other things to compare to, and I never saved any of the ones I watched personally).



Finally, my actual OPINION of this anime - It is OKAY. It's not good, or great, but its not at the level of terrible either. It WOULD be a good watch, but the problem is that the manga is better. It's probably better to marathon it after it finishes airing.

To all the people looking for new anime, do NOT watch this before reading the manga. You will be sorely disappointed. It should only be used to supplement the manga after reading it.
1926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 10/26/11 , edited 10/26/11


Hm... Most of what you said can be justified but everything you made note of doesn't bother me AT ALL. Also it feels to me like your exagerating, alot. For example the pic with the eyes. That doesn't look that bad to me. It looks a little akward but not as bad at the other "eyes" pictures you also showed. Also the pic of Yuno running just pissed me of. If you take a screenshot of any fast moving scene it is bound to look like shit and her smooth running didn't bother me at all, didn't even notice it until now. So I can only feel that you're nitpicking. But then again when you love the manga you're bound to have high expectation of the anime and when it doesn't deliver you just get even more dissapointed and alas the main reason I don't read manga has been revealed.

Now when I've jumped back and forth and poked around at what you said I'm gonna tell you what I think of the anime.
I love it. I like the story so far. I like the animations, I don't find anything wrong with them at all. The pacing doesn't feel bad, which is most likely a result of me not reading the manga. I like the character design. The voiceactors are good and fit the characters personality. The only thing I don't like is that the main character is a bit of a wuss. But my friend who has read the manga has ensured me that he grows out of. I might add that he loves the anime even though he has read the manga.

I also wanna add that I LOVE this anime season so far. There are so many REALLY good anime's, in my opinion atleast that I look forward to all week. Mirai Nikki being one them and Guilty Crown being the one I'm liking the most so far.
The Wise Wizard
79377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/26/11

SkylarkAnime wrote:
If it goes 13 or 26 episodes (most likely 26 - They would be stupid to try for a small 13), it will definitely not finish well.

It is indeed slated for 26 episodes.

1755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/11


Hm... Most of what you said can be justified but everything you made note of doesn't bother me AT ALL. Also it feels to me like your exagerating, alot. For example the pic with the eyes. That doesn't look that bad to me. It looks a little akward but not as bad at the other "eyes" pictures you also showed. Also the pic of Yuno running just pissed me of. If you take a screenshot of any fast moving scene it is bound to look like shit and her smooth running didn't bother me at all, didn't even notice it until now. So I can only feel that you're nitpicking. But then again when you love the manga you're bound to have high expectation of the anime and when it doesn't deliver you just get even more dissapointed and alas the main reason I don't read manga has been revealed.

Now when I've jumped back and forth and poked around at what you said I'm gonna tell you what I think of the anime.
I love it. I like the story so far. I like the animations, I don't find anything wrong with them at all. The pacing doesn't feel bad, which is most likely a result of me not reading the manga. I like the character design. The voiceactors are good and fit the characters personality. The only thing I don't like is that the main character is a bit of a wuss. But my friend who has read the manga has ensured me that he grows out of. I might add that he loves the anime even though he has read the manga.

I also wanna add that I LOVE this anime season so far. There are so many REALLY good anime's, in my opinion atleast that I look forward to all week. Mirai Nikki being one them and Guilty Crown being the one I'm liking the most so far.



As you said, I am nitpicking, but that's because the anime didn't live up to the potential it could have. It might also be Bias, because Asread (in my opinion) makes/has made terrible anime. It may be because the manga is so much better than the anime that I can't see the anime as something I can love. I did say that it was OK, not terrible, but again, a matter of opinion. It's not that I "hate" the anime, but its more of a "disappoint".

The reason for this is that - Mirai Nikki is Thriller. It's not something that you could watch/read a second or third time, while enjoying to the same extent - the first time you experience it is the best time. Thus, why I recommend the manga first - After watching the anime, unless you find it very, very good, you won't be bothered to get online and just read the manga, especially as it is pretty slow in the beginning.

Although now that the manga is finished, that effect is probably lost, unless you're planing to read, say, a chapter a week - The thriller element won't be as obvious/thrilling. When I was reading it when it was coming out, it was great because every new chapter was a cliffhanger, and I had to wait weeks for the next one.

If you don't find anything wrong with the animation you've either, 1. Not watched enough anime. 2. The range of genres you watch is too small, or 3. You're not being critical enough. I would like to believe you're more of the third, but you do get more critical as you watch more, so...

Anyways, he does grow out of it, which is pretty cool. The voice actors (so far) do fit the characters quite well, in my opinion. Although Yuno's voice actor could be better. She tried too hard to be creepy - Too much "yan" not enough "dere". However, looking at the list of voice actors... they do disappoint. The voice actors of upcoming characters don't seem to be 1. able to fit the role very well (i.e. the other characters they have done are of a completely different personality and character role), or 2. They are new actors (although I can't judge on that). Not to mention they're all low-budget, but that doesn't mean anything. Just putting it out there.

I've decided that I won't go into another long rant about how older anime (pre-2000's at least) is better in terms of storyline and character development (the core of literary entertainment), than newer anime, and how the new seasons are mostly about "looking good (in terms of graphics), or making lovable, obsessable characters, usually moeblobs, and how this pattern has been degrading the anime industry in almost every single way.

So I won't.

Finally Guilty Crown is one of the best this season.
2322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / California, Hawai...
Offline
Posted 10/26/11
i say this right now, expect the unexpected, their is a lot of messed up stuff in this anime and i know what happens because i read the light novel
58883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 10/26/11
i am curious now, I want to read the manga but for someone who has not read the manga so far this anime is sparking my interest

but I sure dont like wimpy characters .
114411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / georgia
Offline
Posted 10/26/11

iashakezula wrote:

i am curious now, I want to read the manga but for someone who has not read the manga so far this anime is sparking my interest

but I sure dont like wimpy characters .


dont worry yuki grows a pair later on so you dont need to worry about that.
1926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 10/26/11 , edited 10/26/11

SkylarkAnime wrote:



Hm... Most of what you said can be justified but everything you made note of doesn't bother me AT ALL. Also it feels to me like your exagerating, alot. For example the pic with the eyes. That doesn't look that bad to me. It looks a little akward but not as bad at the other "eyes" pictures you also showed. Also the pic of Yuno running just pissed me of. If you take a screenshot of any fast moving scene it is bound to look like shit and her smooth running didn't bother me at all, didn't even notice it until now. So I can only feel that you're nitpicking. But then again when you love the manga you're bound to have high expectation of the anime and when it doesn't deliver you just get even more dissapointed and alas the main reason I don't read manga has been revealed.

Now when I've jumped back and forth and poked around at what you said I'm gonna tell you what I think of the anime.
I love it. I like the story so far. I like the animations, I don't find anything wrong with them at all. The pacing doesn't feel bad, which is most likely a result of me not reading the manga. I like the character design. The voiceactors are good and fit the characters personality. The only thing I don't like is that the main character is a bit of a wuss. But my friend who has read the manga has ensured me that he grows out of. I might add that he loves the anime even though he has read the manga.

I also wanna add that I LOVE this anime season so far. There are so many REALLY good anime's, in my opinion atleast that I look forward to all week. Mirai Nikki being one them and Guilty Crown being the one I'm liking the most so far.




Labelling me under 3 is right. I can see that I am not critical enough. Only thing that makes me drop an anime is if it's for ecchi only or just really, really really really stupid. Clichés and such don't bother me. Some complained about Guilty Crown just being another boy suddenly gets power run of the mill anime but it never crossed my mind.

But something is interesting me. "1. Not watched enough anime." Now that can't be true or I'm really underertimating how much anime other people watch. I've been watching anime for 7 years. My schedule being always having 10-15 ongoing and atleast 1 complete to watch at all times. All though the later one is becoming seemingly defficult to follow. Basically I'm running out of complete animes to watch. Or more like there aren't any I'm interested in watching.

Anyways I'm glad that I against odds havn't turned into someone who is easily bothered by cliché and such. Most likely as result of not reading manga. I'm also not very active on anime news sites nor am I knowledgeable within anime directors and distrubuteras. In other words I don't have any expectations. I find the preview, I wait for the anime to release, I watch the first episodes and I decide from there and that's it and I hope it stays that way for years to come.

And that clock is now 4:30 AM and I'm getting up at 10... *sigh*

Have a good uh... morning ^.^

EDIT: I seem to have messed up the spoiler tags somewhere and I'm to tired to fix it. Sorry.
1755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/11

TheNethy wrote:


No, I think you've gotten me wrong here. I was not labelling you under all of them, I was labelling you under the three different possibilities.

I also never once said that Cliche is bad. There are a lot of anime that are cliche, but still good. An example is... Ano hana, Dragon crisis (two of the recent ones i'd watched). Of course, there are anime that are good because its completely original, but they are both good.

The problem here is that Mirai Nikki is inferior to the manga. I never once talked about the storyline or characters being plain or cliched.

But yes, I can see your point in your last paragraph. It might be better not to have any expectations like you, but it can't be helped. But really, the Mirai Nikki series so far has mostly ruined my expectations... but again, it can't be helped. Although watching only the first episode might not be the best idea. There's a lot of anime that only get good about the third episode. Although a lot of anime this season had really good 1st episodes, but it dropped in quality or interestingness afterwards.

P.S. Since you've been watching anime since long ago (maybe), recommend me some anime pre-2000's. I probably know most of them, but just recommend anyway. Looking for something good to watch.

1363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / South Carolina
Offline
Posted 10/26/11
Wow, seems complicated but it might be good so I'll give it a try.
33065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / BREAK INTO INSAINTY
Offline
Posted 10/26/11
reminds me of DEATH NOTE
36750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/26/11 , edited 10/26/11
Decent show so far. I've seen up to episode 3. Not awesome, but entertaining and a bit creepy. Didn't like the silly second episode with the unbelievable explosives expert chick:

1926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 10/27/11

SkylarkAnime wrote:


TheNethy wrote:






I didn't intend to imply that the story of Mirai Nikki was bad or anything. I just started ranting about my feelings of anime in general.

As for reccomending som older Anime it seems I forgot to mention in my other post that I havn't actually seen that many pre 2000 animes.
Just the more populer ones which most people have seen. You have probably seen more older anime then me and considering that your 15 years old makes that pretty cool.

On a funny sidenote. I havn't slept yet... I'm soooo tired =s
55114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 11/2/11
Episode 4.

This anime scares me. Seriously.
78966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Online
Posted 11/2/11
so far just meh for me, and kinda boring.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.