First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Another reason why Japan is awesome
Posted 10/26/11
So I am watching this video on TED about the correlation between a country's economic equality and overall well being:

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson.html

While looking at the slides as Richard Wilkinson is discussing his statistical findings, I notice that Japan has the smallest gap between the richest 20% and poorest 20% among the wealthiest countries (with the Scandinavian countries not far behind), and that Japan was really well off compared to most (there was no correlation between average income and health and social problems).

Link to the slides: http://www.slideshare.net/equalitytrust/the-spirit-level-slides-from-the-equality-trust

I had no idea Japan's economy was so egalitarian to begin with; I assumed everything there was just insanely expensive. Now I really want to move to Japan.
Posted 10/26/11
It seems a lot of crunchyroll members really want to move to Japan, that's cute....

I hope you guys live there someday....

If the economy is good then maybe I'll visit that place before I go from the USA to England,
273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/26/11
Well I read somewhere that because of the Earth Quake and all the chaos that happend last year Japan's Tourist Commity is going to give away free trips to Japan in order to show the world that its safe there. All I know if that food and accomidation is not free and that the tourist would have to pay for that them selves but still thats a very awesome promotion!
Posted 10/26/11

bsmithscolaro wrote:

Well I read somewhere that because of the Earth Quake and all the chaos that happend last year Japan's Tourist Commity is going to give away free trips to Japan in order to show the world that its safe there. All I know if that food and accomidation is not free and that the tourist would have to pay for that them selves but still thats a very awesome promotion!


I looked it up:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/struggling-japan-to-give-_n_1003169.html

Free flights only; you have to agree to be available for reports and media statements about how safe the trip was, and the budget for it is still awaiting government approval.



273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/26/11

WackyFiasco wrote:


bsmithscolaro wrote:

Well I read somewhere that because of the Earth Quake and all the chaos that happend last year Japan's Tourist Commity is going to give away free trips to Japan in order to show the world that its safe there. All I know if that food and accomidation is not free and that the tourist would have to pay for that them selves but still thats a very awesome promotion!


I looked it up:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/struggling-japan-to-give-_n_1003169.html

Free flights only; you have to agree to be available for reports and media statements about how safe the trip was, and the budget for it is still awaiting government approval.





I've been to many places in the world and Japan is the #1 place I want to go too. I will sign anything over for a trip there! Thanks for looking more of it up for me!
2247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / Indiana
Offline
Posted 10/26/11
i just wanna learn japanese and have a little vacation home there that way i can buy stuff with no shipping cost and watch anime on tv
Posted 10/26/11
I want to live there temporarily. I don't think I will be able to tolerate the xenophobia there for that long.
Posted 10/26/11

Vega66 wrote:

I want to live there temporarily. I don't think I will be able to tolerate the xenophobia there for that long.


You're afraid of strangers? Then talk to people, be social.
25344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Various
Offline
Posted 10/26/11 , edited 10/26/11

Aero-Mach wrote:


Vega66 wrote:

I want to live there temporarily. I don't think I will be able to tolerate the xenophobia there for that long.


You're afraid of strangers? Then talk to people, be social.


I'm sure he meant Japan's xenophobia, not his own.

Going back to the original topic:

I think Wilkinson's argument may have some validity, and Japan, being a country with extremely low income disparity has very few social problems. However, all his data really does is show correlation, and correlation does not equal causation. Granted all I saw were the slides, I didn't actually read or hear any analysis from him, so I may be shortchanging his research, but looking at the data still begs the question, is income disparity what causes high rate of societal ills, or is the high rate of societal problems a contributing factor in creating income disparity?

As for those wishing to live in Japan, yeah, it probably is a great country to live in... if you're native Japanese. From my understanding, Japan isn't very kind to foreigners who try to settle there. Now don't get me wrong, It's a great place to visit, and it's not an unfriendly environment to foreigners, but if you're trying to immigrate there, I hear it's a nightmare, unless you have some special skill and were invited to live there. It also helps to be rich, but it's not a place where you would try to immigrate to in order to become rich. I know of a minority group of ethnic Koreans who were born in Japan, live in Japan, speak Japanese, but aren't Japanese citizens, and are not afforded the same entitlements as regular Japanese citizens. They are also not very nice to mixed Japanese.
Posted 10/26/11
I don't know, I just want to visit Japan some time.
Posted 10/26/11 , edited 10/26/11
Let's be realistic: the majority of you wouldn't make it pass the first week, three days tops. Learning Japanese isn't something that comes overnight, neither is moving in. I've read numerous stories about being a "gaijin" in Japan. They don't mind you visiting, yet living there is another story. In the end, Japan isn't a place I'd like to live, but wouldn't mind visiting. Besides, I like my city.
Posted 10/26/11

LosingOrbit wrote:

Let's be realistic: the majority of you wouldn't make it pass the first week, three days tops. Learning Japanese isn't something that comes overnight, neither is moving in. I've read numerous stories about being a "gaijin" in Japan. They don't mind you visiting, yet living there is another story. In the end, Japan isn't a place I'd like to live, but wouldn't mind visiting. Besides, I like my city.



Agreed,
I have been to japan for vacation and I didn't like it plus
it's less on I expected when I went there.I prefer singapore over japan if you ask me.


Posted 10/26/11
My parents are US expatriots who live in Pattaya, Thailand (my mother is Thai). According to them, there are throngs of Japanese business men who like to visit there and play a lot of golf. I honestly didn't notice many, last time I visited.

While it is true that most things are quite affordable in Thailand compared to the US and Japan, they do have their infrastructure issues. My dad loves to share his how-nuts-they-do-things stories. Retirees still adore the place, even with the problems.

I imagine Japan has its quirks and charms like most places, and it all depends on how well it "fits" you. I lived on both coasts of the US; I love New York, but don't care much for Los Angeles.
Posted 10/26/11
What I like about Japan is its public transport system. I went there as an exchange student for a short while. It impressed me a lot, because it was the first time in my life that I had ever boarded a train that came on time! Also, the people were very friendly to me and their food was fantastic. Can't wait to go there again.
35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 10/27/11
I prefer Germany, to be quite honest. I can learn their language and go over there without being hated. If I wear a Rammstein shirt however, I guess that's another story.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.