First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Software Updates
Moderator
31302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / San Francisco / T...
Offline
Posted 10/31/11
Via the ComiPo! Facebook page

We have minor update available today! Please check if your ComiPo! already get updated.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Changes in 1.27.01 from previous version (10/31/2011)
- BUG FIXES
- Fixed problem related to Windows' regional settings.
Member
280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 10/31/11
When can we expect a major update?
215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 10/31/11

LordofHearts wrote:

When can we expect a major update?


Seconding...
Banned
547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 10/31/11
I think you need to start handing out updates that people actually care about, like 3D importing and DLC. Else you may need to start handing out refunds.
1218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/1/11 , edited 11/1/11
Thanks for the update.

@ everyone else:
Content is important, but making sure that the content works properly for everyone and is free of bugs is also important, perhaps more so. Which would you prefer, a properly working ComiPo with less content or a buggy, glitchy pain in the ass to work with ComiPo that has a few additional features?

And you cant say 'but my ComiPo works fine and always will, I want content now!!!' either. Aside from the fact that that's incredibly selfish because there are no doubt others out there who ARE struggling with bugs and glitches, computer programs at the code level can be a very iffy business, and even introducing something which isn't perfectly coded can lead to a rather disastrous situation.

Rather than taking issue with this update for not being content, think of it as both an assurance that your program will work AND as an assurance that updates ARE BEING WORKED ON.

Member
2398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/1/11
How is expecting updated content selfish?

I really don't get this "Shut up and stop demanding" stuff I've been seeing whenever someone speaks out about unhappy they are at the level of updates we have when the company has shown that updating the Japanese version is clearly their main concern.

There are plenty of ways the company can resolve this issue and that is by giving us a REAL TIMELINE of updates. Don't say "But you know they are working on them because we have this one update" or "It is hard for them to tell when they will be finished with coding" and my favorite "In Japan, they waited x amount of time for this update so you will have to wait the same amount of time for yours" it is a company's responsibility to inform their customers of when they can expect certain things from them. Any company worth their salt does it and if an expected update has to be pushed back, then TELL US. But keeping customers floating around with zero information and zero timeline is ridiculous.

Seriously, they could have just given Americans the same download as the Japanese version anyway with a language pack for English and so on. MANY software companies do it so they could too. Instead they made it hard on themselves with these two versions. Actually I learned that you could have just bought the Japanese version anyway from Comipo.biz, they even have the currency exchange prices between yen and U.S. for the Japanese program and all the expansion packs, a piece of news I would have liked before forking over 50 bucks for the English one.
215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 11/1/11

Hazegurl wrote:

How is expecting updated content selfish?
[...]
Seriously, they could have just given Americans the same download as the Japanese version anyway with a language pack for English and so on. MANY software companies do it so they could too. Instead they made it hard on themselves with these two versions. Actually I learned that you could have just bought the Japanese version anyway from Comipo.biz, they even have the currency exchange prices between yen and U.S. for the Japanese program and all the expansion packs, a piece of news I would have liked before forking over 50 bucks for the English one.


This. I was under the impression the English version would be compatible with all Comipo content, not just localized version content. This isn't a matter of software creation: the ability to import and use 3D content files IS PART of the Japanese version. And the ability to import Comipo-official extras like outfits or items for use in the program IS PART of the Japanese version.

If anything, by being so quiet on the subject, Comipo seems to be giving me the feeling they're going to charge extra to unlock these clearly existing and easily-translated features and abilities.
And if that's the case, it should have been made clear at the start of the program's English release, because fans were eager to use the software as it had been advertised to the Japanese community.
1218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/1/11 , edited 11/1/11

Hazegurl wrote:

How is expecting updated content selfish?

I really don't get this "Shut up and stop demanding" stuff I've been seeing whenever someone speaks out about unhappy they are at the level of updates we have when the company has shown that updating the Japanese version is clearly their main concern.

There are plenty of ways the company can resolve this issue and that is by giving us a REAL TIMELINE of updates. Don't say "But you know they are working on them because we have this one update" or "It is hard for them to tell when they will be finished with coding" and my favorite "In Japan, they waited x amount of time for this update so you will have to wait the same amount of time for yours" it is a company's responsibility to inform their customers of when they can expect certain things from them. Any company worth their salt does it and if an expected update has to be pushed back, then TELL US. But keeping customers floating around with zero information and zero timeline is ridiculous.

Seriously, they could have just given Americans the same download as the Japanese version anyway with a language pack for English and so on. MANY software companies do it so they could too. Instead they made it hard on themselves with these two versions. Actually I learned that you could have just bought the Japanese version anyway from Comipo.biz, they even have the currency exchange prices between yen and U.S. for the Japanese program and all the expansion packs, a piece of news I would have liked before forking over 50 bucks for the English one.


Now, you know I didn't mean it like that or say it anywhere near that forcefully. Dont spin my words.

There's nothing wrong with expecting content updates, I expect them to since I payed for the program under the impression that they would be coming. However, there is a difference between expecting them and out-rightly demanding updates as though they were some form of god given right, which is what ive been observing here.

What I was trying to say is that since this update was to fix bugs, then logically it follows that there are some people out there who are encountering difficulties with the program, and that's its not really fair to leave this minority struggling just because we who aren't encountering these problems want something else.

I have some degree of issues with the communication gap myself, and I think that owes a lot to the means of distribution and support that has been chosen for the English version. I would have sooner seen a translated clone of the JP site than this fragmented news and distribution system .

But what im trying to do here is just advise everyone to keep calm and stop being so angry about it, because ive seen this happen before. An issue arose, customers raged, the creators kept silent, customers raged more, and it just went in an endless cycle of everyone tearing their hair out unproductively and meeting even the most positive news with cynicism.

Yes, you could have bought the JP version. I seriously considered doing that myself back when it was released, but I decided to hold off for the English Version purely because it was a format that would be easier to work with and that way i could be assures I was getting all possible content. As for just having an English language pack for the JP version, its not so easy. There's compatibility between program and OS to think about (Japanese programs wont just automatically work on English systems) and the thing with the 3D file format being uncommon to English programs.



This. I was under the impression the English version would be compatible with all Comipo content, not just localized version content. This isn't a matter of software creation: the ability to import and use 3D content files IS PART of the Japanese version. And the ability to import Comipo-official extras like outfits or items for use in the program IS PART of the Japanese version.

If anything, by being so quiet on the subject, Comipo seems to be giving me the feeling they're going to charge extra to unlock these clearly existing and easily-translated features and abilities. And if that's the case, it should have been made clear at the start of the program's English release, because fans were eager to use the software as it had been advertised to the Japanese community.


Ide like to point out that while those things are PART of the Japanese version NOW, a year down the track, they were not PART of the Japanese version upon its release.Everyone is wanting everything to fast, we wanted the 3D feature (which is clearly not finished based on the fact its not in the program) but we also were spamming for the release of the program ASAP. IDe also like to point out that 3D import has been given the bulk of attention in terms of the 'updates we want' so perhaps they are pouring the most manpower into that and less onto the other, more easily implemented updates because that's what people want to see the most.

Honestly, I cant see how your making this conclusion that not giving news on updates = corporate greed. Jumping to silly conclusions in the absense of evidence is another element of that endless cycle of rage that I mentioned earlier that favours nobody.

PS- they said pretty early on that JP content packs would not be compatible with the EN release.
Member
2398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/2/11

gizmogal wrote:


If anything, by being so quiet on the subject, Comipo seems to be giving me the feeling they're going to charge extra to unlock these clearly existing and easily-translated features and abilities.
And if that's the case, it should have been made clear at the start of the program's English release, because fans were eager to use the software as it had been advertised to the Japanese community.


I hope they don't, if the Japanese were charged for the unlock I would understand but if not then they shouldn't make us do it. They should have made a lot of things clear, such as what you stated above if they plan to charge us extra and also some information on their objectives concerning when we can expect to be caught up to the Japanese verision.
Member
2398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/2/11

Spectre77 wrote:

Now, you know I didn't mean it like that or say it anywhere near that forcefully. Dont spin my words.

There's nothing wrong with expecting content updates, I expect them to since I payed for the program under the impression that they would be coming. However , there is a difference between expecting them and out-rightly demanding updates as though they were some form of god given right, which is what ive been observing here.

What I was trying to say is that since this update was to fix bugs, then logically it follows that there are some people out there who are encountering difficulties with the program, and that's its not really fair to leave this minority struggling just because we who aren't encountering these problems want something else.

I have some degree of issues with the communication gap myself, and I think that owes a lot to the means of distribution and support that has been chosen for the English version. I would have sooner seen a translated clone of the JP site than this fragmented news and distribution system .

But what im trying to do here is just advise everyone to keep calm and stop being so angry about it, because ive seen this happen before. An issue arose, customers raged, the creators kept silent, customers raged more, and it just went in an endless cycle of everyone tearing their hair out unproductively and meeting even the most positive news with cynicism.

Yes, you could have bought the JP version. I seriously considered doing that myself back when it was released, but I decided to hold off for the English Version purely because it was a format that would be easier to work with and that way i could be assures I was getting all possible content. As for just having an English language pack for the JP version, its not so easy. There's compatibility between program and OS to think about (Japanese programs wont just automatically work on English systems) and the thing with the 3D file format being uncommon to English programs.


I was not spinning your words. You did write that it was selfish for people to demand content updates instead of just being happy with bug fixes. So I asked, how is it selfish for people to demand CONTENT updates? Whether people rage at a company or not is really none of my concern, customers voice their opinions when they are unhappy about the product and services or lack thereof they are recieving. It only reaches the point of raging and ranting when a company is so out of tune with what customers want and expect from them. Without customers voicing their opinions, a company will have no clue what they need to do to stay afloat. Many companies go so far as to provide suggestion emails and surveys to gain this very valuable information. If everyone stayed silent on these issues, then a company is walking around blindly, unless they prefer it. As for the program not working on an English OS (which is the thing I heard) that is not true. On the Comipo Japanese site they don't say anything about needing a Japanese OS just Windows XP (SP3) and above. Which makes sense considering that with Windows 7 ultimate you can switch the OS language. I have Windows 7 and I downloaded the Japanese verision latest trial and had no problems with it at all. Not to mention the fact that many other software developers have been able to do what I suggest with the language packs. But I'm supposed to believe that a software company starting in 2010 or 2011 is having such a difficult time offering the same verision in other languages when I have plenty of multilanguage software on my computer that is intended to work both on US and overseas computers?





Ide like to point out that while those things are PART of the Japanese version NOW, a year down the track, they were not PART of the Japanese version upon its release.Everyone is wanting everything to fast, we wanted the 3D feature (which is clearly not finished based on the fact its not in the program) but we also were spamming for the release of the program ASAP.


Had to respond to this because this one is my favorite quote. I don't believe that it would take them an entire year to offer the same expansion packs, it took a year in japan because they had to actually create it. But they do not have to start out from scratch. Besides, didn't they say the content wouldn't be compatible because they used metasequoia, a Japanese 3d program.... that seems to also be available in English?

1218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/2/11 , edited 11/2/11
You are spinning my words. You said that I said to 'shut up and stop demanding', which is quite far from how I delivered what I said and also somewhat skew's the meaning.

It can come across as selfish because saying 'GIVE ME CONTENT I WANT NOW' can also be seen as saying 'I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE EXPERIENCING BUG ISSUES, MY SATISFACTION IS MORE IMPORTANT'. See, what im trying to say with all this is that we can either be civil and appreciative, or we can all rage and hate and make a big ruckus about how we as customers are being poorly served, but at the end of the day both routes are going to acheive much the same result in much the same time frame,so personally I prefer the one that can deliver thoughts coherently and in a civilized manner, as opposed to the one that will be rejected as a rant and is less likely to be looked at/ considered.

Your making this come across as though its about a variety of issues or improvements that aren't being worked on, but that's not it, all this boils down to is that everyone is being impatient and made plenty of assumptions that haven't turned out to be true . Just telling them 'HURRY UP' on content that we KNOW 100% is being worked on achieves nothing.

Now, as for the OS related thing, i NEVER stated that ComiPo JP wouldn't work on an English OS, I stated that they dont just 'work automatically', there is some messing around required. Yes, said messing around is pretty simple to do when you know how to do it, but not everyone is that tech savvy and im sure that the majority of people would just rather run the program rather than messing around with their PC settings. Of course the website dosent say that it requires a Japanese version of windows because, aside from the fact that that's not entirely true, its common sense. English programs don't typically state that English OS's are required for them to run either.

As for the time periods for release, did I say that they would also take that long for English, no, i didn't. What I was wanting to point out was that the original Comipo JP release also did not come with these features, and if the intent was to deliver the program in the same way as the Japanese version then it would follow that updates and upgrades would not be present in it.

Im not sure exactly what the reasoning behind the content not being compatible was, but I can confirm that its not. For some reason my copy of ComiPo allowed me to download JP updates for a while, but all that succeeded in doing was breaking the program, causing double ups of menu categories and other weirdness (Plus, im sure that nobody who is planning on making their own 3D content wants to have to buy a program specifically for making ComiPo resources when they will probably have a 3D data making program already).
Member
2398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/2/11

Spectre77 wrote:

You are spinning my words. You said that I said to 'shut up and stop demanding', which is quite far from how I delivered what I said and also somewhat skew's the meaning.


I did not say you said shut up and stop demanding, I said what is up with people (meaning more than you) who want people to shut up and stop demanding content. I never said you said that, but that is the impression I got from posters like you. It's how you guys come across whenever you get on people for asking when an update is coming. If the company rejects a customers complaint as a stupid rant then that is there problem, it only shows how out of touch they are with their customers. As a business major I was taught to keep customers informed and the power of customer feedback to a company, a company who doesn't understand that and choose to listen only to fluffy nice praises is just shooting themselves in the foot in the end. So like I said. I don't care if Comipo get ranted at or praised. I just don't think that people should try and tell others how they should feel about the program or the company. What makes them so special that they shouldn't be questioned?


Your making this come across as though its about a variety of issues or improvements that aren't being worked on, but that's not it, all this boils down to is that everyone is being impatient and made plenty of assumptions that haven't turned out to be true . Just telling them 'HURRY UP' on content that we KNOW 100% is being worked on achieves nothing.


No I wasn't. I just know that it makes no sense for English users to wait a whole year (as was mentioned as a point) for certain content simply because they had to in Japan. I just wonder why they can't translate something as simple as clothing packs and make them available. All the characters have the same body type, it isn't like they offered any real variety in character types, all the girls have the same body type, and so do all the boys, then there is only one female and male teacher, so with the clothing it's just a matter of translation. So yeah I think they are being lazy on that front. And no I do not know if all their content is currently getting worked on because the company does not give us that information nor a timeline for when certain content will be available. I'm just expected to go on one bug fix update that came out of nowhere. Now I'm not adopting an extreme stance on this, I'm sure they are doing something. But I'm not going to say that I know 100% what they are doing based on one update. I don't work there to make that claim, instead I would say that I know 50% that they are doing something for us English users as opposed to maybe the 30% guess I had before.

As for the OS deal, glad that was cleared up. However, I have heard that before. I would never try updating the Japanese content into the English program but I don't think that buying the Japanese version and expansion stuff for the Japanese program would hurt.



As for the time periods for release, did I say that they would also take that long for English, no, i didn't. What I was wanting to point out was that the original Comipo JP release also did not come with these features, and if the intent was to deliver the program in the same way as the Japanese version then it would follow that updates and upgrades would not be present in it.


This is why software companies who are introducing their products to different countries et al when it has been out for sometime would typically offer different versions at different prices upon release. For example. Sims 2 was out for a while, then they offered a version you could buy with Nightlife included. When I couldn't buy Sims when it first came out I waited and got it with the expansion already included to get caught up with those who could buy the base program and get the expansions one by one.

It would had been better for Comipo to offer the base Comipo software along with another version with a clothing pack already included for more money.

That way people would know what they are spending their money on and feel a little more caught up to the Japanese. But it isn't my job to tell Comipo how to do theirs.
1218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Brisbane, Australia
Offline
Posted 11/2/11
Ah, I see were we've missed each other now. I never actually had a problem with people asking for an update ETA , that's fine. I was more responding to the way in which TatsukiTakatsuki (and other like her) delivered their request, which can be summed up as 'I dont want this update because there's nothing in it for me, I demand to be served' , and I just felt like pointing out that there's no need to get worked up about it or expect that updates released will only cater to their needs, because that reflects badly on the English ComiPo community.

I never said that English users were going to have to wait the same period for content as the Japanese users did, and I already explained why I believe the more simple updates may not have been given any particular degree of priority (I say 'simple', but chances are its not as simple as 'rename and upload'). I wont make any particular claims about what they are doing either, but i think based on the evidence we can be confident that something, of some sort, is being worked on for English language users.

As for releasing with expansion packs already available, im also quite surprised that they didn't do that. Given how long the English version has been announced for I was rather surprised that the updates had not been developed in parallel for both versions and made available upon English release. That said though, when it comes to marketing this product they may have wanted to present it at the lowest possible price which, given the market they were selling to, may not have been such a bad idea (When it comes to US home media anime consumers, and that's very much the market that are going to be buying this, I often see indications that people prioritize low price and short wait times over high content).
Member
2398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/3/11
No problem! We both misunderstood each others intentions

Yeah I also don't get why they did not offer some of the clothing packs with it. I know I would have paid extra for the clothing because I knew when I bought the program that I would have gotten beyond sick of the high school clothes. And I am. I can't even have characters do sporting events at the school or really show them relaxing at home, which sucks cause I really want to work on a slice of life type manga. I thought if nothing else we would get at least the clothes soon and I'm actually more disappointed about that than the 3d import feature.

But I do understand your point about anime consumers (low cost *cough* free/fast production) but with the amount of time we've had to wait (to the point when I nearly forgot about Comipo) it would have been nice to be given a higher priced/more content option upon release.
Banned
547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 11/12/11
THIS IS AN ULTIMATUM TO THE CREATORS OF COMIPO!

We (the English ComiPo! users) are sick and tired of having no updates and having a drastically inferior version of the same program, compared to the Japanese version. If the creators of ComiPo! cannot deliver a COMPLETE update featuring ALL of the Japanese-only content, and a HEAVILY DISCOUNTED pack of ALL of the DLC (due to making us wait after promises of frequent updates which never came to pass) before December 1st, 2011, then we will request refunds for ComiPo! and will spread the word that ComiPo!'s English version is little more than a scam, selling an inferior product to the English community.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.