First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
UBUNTU
2479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / CT
Offline
Posted 11/5/11
Thanks to everyone who replied!

I will take all your advice into consideration... and proceed with caution! ^____^
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 11/6/11 , edited 11/6/11

kenkorrupt wrote:

Thanks to everyone who replied!

I will take all your advice into consideration... and proceed with caution! ^____^


No matter what you do on Ubuntu, you will never avoid the Terminal!! (You'll get it when you tried it for some time)
Posted 11/6/11
Ubuntu is awesome, and it's not as difficult as people say. I knew nothing of it, but when my laptop refused to boot up anymore, I put Ubuntu on it. Bam, thing works like a charm, a literal ten-second boot time (Involves logging in, and all programs loaded.) My only qualm is that my wireless internet stopped working when I installed it. Eh, well, always got my desktop. I'd rather have a working PC w/o internet than a dead one.
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 11/6/11

Dave1004 wrote:

Ubuntu is awesome, and it's not as difficult as people say. I knew nothing of it, but when my laptop refused to boot up anymore, I put Ubuntu on it. Bam, thing works like a charm, a literal ten-second boot time (Involves logging in, and all programs loaded.) My only qualm is that my wireless internet stopped working when I installed it. Eh, well, always got my desktop. I'd rather have a working PC w/o internet than a dead one.


true, true I know that feeling all to well. now I know how to use any version of windows like the back of my hand but if you don't mind me asking what version of linux/ubuntu whould you recommend for say and old sony vaio laptop with 11gigs of hard drive space and 340megs of ram.
48365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / El Paso, TX
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
I love Ubuntu, but unfortunately, I'm not able to use it; about 70% of games don't develop for Linux, and using a Windows emulator (WINE for example) can be arduous with games. If I'm going to emulate Windows most of the time anyways, I might as well just install Windows.

I do like using Ubuntu, however. It's fast, nice, super customizable, and open source. I also love that I can just type a simple search command, and then a simple install command right from my terminal to be able to install almost anything I could ever need. To me, this method is way more convenient than having to use a browser to find and install software, even more so with a little programming.

I would say that Ubuntu is much more "advanced" than windows. Windows is designed so that any idiot could sit down and have his hand held through using a computer. While this is good, and makes using a computer less intimidating for new users, it's annoying for me. Windows constantly gives me a condescending feeling; it treats me like I don't know what I'm doing. Ubuntu, on the other hand, assumes that you already understand how to operate a computer at a semi-advanced level.

Either way, Ubuntu is great, but I don't recommend it to gamers, and hesitantly recommend it to non-programmers. I use Windows mainly, but I'll always have room in my hard-drive for an Ubuntu patrician.
85265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 11/6/11

kenkorrupt wrote:

Ubuntu looks great. http://www.ubuntu.com/ Weird name for an operating system, but w/e.

Apparantly it is sexier than MAC OS, and faster than WINDOWS.

And it's free. O.O

Anyone using this? Is this difficult to install? I'd like to hear some UBUNTU feedback.



Well, Firefox used to be good too. Now it is horrible. Let's give it at least another year to see how they handle transitions at least. If it is faster than a professional Operating System, perhaps they cut corners where they shouldn't.
3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
If you ask me, I think Ubuntu should get more support from software companies and game developers.

I actually came upon hearing of this through PCWizKid's Tech Talk, which you can find on YouTube.
Posted 11/6/11
someone say cunt?
16215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / In a little box i...
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
i use ubuntu and i love it, however i also run windows just for ease of use running games. however i also used to use wine to run wow on ubuntu, took soe giging but got there in the end. i would try asking people on the ubuntu forums about it and they will give you the awensers and knowlage req.

http://ubuntuforums.org/
maffoo 
79814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / England
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
I used to use Ubuntu, but now I use Linux Mint instead (which is Ubuntu based, but configured differently.)

IMO it is easier to install than Windows, in that it detects your hardware and installs the drivers without having to dig around for the driver CDs etc. It is also a lot quicker to install (about 10 minutes from clicking the install icon to the post-install reboot.) I also like the idea of going to a repository of software and having it download and install all the software I want in one go rather than having to go to various websites and download each installer individually.

I currently have Windows 7 on my "main" PC, though that's mainly for games. When I had my old laptop, which was fairly useless for games, Ubuntu was my main OS and I was more than happy with it. I have Linux Mint on the PC under my TV which I use for watching videos and it works like a dream
maffoo 
79814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / England
Offline
Posted 11/6/11

Khaltazar wrote:

If it is faster than a professional Operating System, perhaps they cut corners where they shouldn't.


Or perhaps they have just cut out some unnecessary features, like some of the eye candy? There are Ubuntu variants (such as Xubuntu) which are designed to use less resources by using a less pretty, but perfectly functional, window manager, and indeed there are other Linux-based systems like Puppy Linux which run well on (by modern standards) very low-end systems.

28057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Belgium
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
I made a quick description of the most used operating systems to help you choose:

Windows:
The modern day standard. The vast majority runs this, so there are plenty of applications available. If you're a gamer you will pretty much need windows since 99% of all modern games being released are using DirectX (which is a Microsoft product). It does suffer from tendancies to become bloated. Good maintenance is required (clean your temporary folders, defrag, etc.)

Mac OSX:
I call it the shiny operating system. It is extremely easy to use and looks pretty. The most negative thing about OSX is probably its price tag. Compared to other computers, buying a mac is quite expensive. You do however get a very solid OS (Unix-based) and good support. You pay for the very intuitive User Interface and the Apple name. Some modern games are getting released for the Mac (Starcraft II for example), but the vast majority is not. Macs are low maintenance. For example, they do not require defragmentation.

Ubuntu (and linux distros):
Probably most well known for their stability and safety. Until recently only programmers and more hardcore computer fanatics would use linux. They had a reputation of being "difficult to use". However Ubuntu made sure to make it an easy to install, easy to use operating system. That's why since the release of ubuntu, there has been a definite rise in non-techy people using ubuntu. Also, it's 100% completely free. No price tag at all. Linux requires medium maintenance. Defragmentation is not required. However you will occasionally need to use the terminal to make changes. This is really not that hard, but does scare off some people.
52117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Michigan, USA
Offline
Posted 11/6/11 , edited 11/6/11
Expanding on what bentonboor said

Linux: not just ubuntu is the industry standard when it comes to server applications, a full 64% of the server hardware in the world is hosted on some distro of linux. This is partly because unless a major kernal change takes place the OS as a whole should never need rebooting. Single services can be reloaded without the need to bring down the entire system. Latter versions of windows have gotten better at this but have not gotten to this level yet.

While Linux is the number one choice hands down for critical systems. When it comes to usability and compatablity it quickly falls away.
First usability, any MAC user will tell you hands down, macs just work! its their fucking slogan for crying out loud. Its a compliment that is well earned. MAC OS X is without a doubt the most user friendly OS that has been put to market to date. Common tasks are displayed right at the user finger tips and for most customers this is all they need. Problems only arise when you need to do non common tasks, This is where windows picks up, It offers a user more convient methods for doing both common and uncommon tasks but in doing so complicates things for the common tasks, IE more choices means more confused users. Linux distros however are renowned for their ability to confuse even hardcore users. Nothing says fuck usability like requiring a rights escalation just to turn off the computer :P
When it comes to Compatibly windows wins out hands down, It all comes back to Market share here. Most users use windows so most things are made to be compatable with windows... Nuff said. wanna play WoW [World of Warcraft] (arguably the most popular game on the planet right now). both Windows and MAC have native builds, while some game programers will make a build for MAC its by no means common. But when you say .. what about linux, you will be lucky not to get laughed out the room. Linux has just 2% market share in the desktop environment. Wanna play the worlds most popular game on linux, Be prepared to spend 45 minutes installing and configuring Emulation software just to be able to TRY to play! And dont be surprised if you find bugs your windows friends will never see!

While i love my Ubuntu Install, i would never dream of using it for playing games.
While i love my Windows 7 Install, i would never dream of using it to Host my Website, FTP server, and TF2 Server.
While i hate my MAC install, i would never dream of using it. err wait that came out wrong .. ummm errr. Macs look pretty :P


If it is faster than a professional Operating System, perhaps they cut corners where they shouldn't.

Linux distros are renowned for their stability and security, their speed is just a byproduct of these first two. Part of the reason linux distros are so stable and Secure is because they don't have as many applications / services running in a default state. next time your at your PC, and have a minute Open the Task manger and look under Processes, see if you can recognize what 1/2 of them do, if you can your in the minority and probably a IT Professional If you can do the same task in Linux you are defiantly a IT Professional, but hey at least the list is shorter!
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 11/6/11 , edited 11/6/11

dev3383 wrote:

Expanding on what bentonboor said

Linux: not just ubuntu is the industry standard when it comes to server applications, a full 64% of the server hardware in the world is hosted on some distro of linux. This is partly because unless a major kernal change takes place the OS as a whole should never need rebooting. Single services can be reloaded without the need to bring down the entire system. Latter versions of windows have gotten better at this but have not gotten to this level yet.

While Linux is the number one choice hands down for critical systems. When it comes to usability and compatablity it quickly falls away.
First usability, any MAC user will tell you hands down, macs just work! its their fucking slogan for crying out loud. Its a compliment that is well earned. MAC OS X is without a doubt the most user friendly OS that has been put to market to date. Common tasks are displayed right at the user finger tips and for most customers this is all they need. Problems only arise when you need to do non common tasks, This is where windows picks up, It offers a user more convient methods for doing both common and uncommon tasks but in doing so complicates things for the common tasks, IE more choices means more confused users. Linux distros however are renowned for their ability to confuse even hardcore users. Nothing says fuck usability like requiring a rights escalation just to turn off the computer :P
When it comes to Compatibly windows wins out hands down, It all comes back to Market share here. Most users use windows so most things are made to be compatable with windows... Nuff said. wanna play WoW [World of Warcraft] (arguably the most popular game on the planet right now). both Windows and MAC have native builds, while some game programers will make a build for MAC its by no means common. But when you say .. what about linux, you will be lucky not to get laughed out the room. Linux has just 2% market share in the desktop environment. Wanna play the worlds most popular game on linux, Be prepared to spend 45 minutes installing and configuring Emulation software just to be able to TRY to play! And dont be surprised if you find bugs your windows friends will never see!

While i love my Ubuntu Install, i would never dream of using it for playing games.
While i love my Windows 7 Install, i would never dream of using it to Host my Website, FTP server, and TF2 Server.
While i hate my MAC install, i would never dream of using it. err wait that came out wrong .. ummm errr. Macs look pretty :P


If it is faster than a professional Operating System, perhaps they cut corners where they shouldn't.

Linux distros are renowned for their stability and security, their speed is just a byproduct of these first two. Part of the reason linux distros are so stable and Secure is because they don't have as many applications / services running in a default state. next time your at your PC, and have a minute Open the Task manger and look under Processes, see if you can recognize what 1/2 of them do, if you can your in the minority and probably a IT Professional If you can do the same task in Linux you are defiantly a IT Professional, but hey at least the list is shorter!


Agreed. There is no such thing as a perfect OS that suits every needs. In the end, you need all 3 of them just to suit your needs. I use Windows for games, Mac OS X for graphics and photoshop and Linux for basic computing needs and web browsing.


Dave1004 wrote:

Ubuntu is awesome, and it's not as difficult as people say. I knew nothing of it, but when my laptop refused to boot up anymore, I put Ubuntu on it. Bam, thing works like a charm, a literal ten-second boot time (Involves logging in, and all programs loaded.) My only qualm is that my wireless internet stopped working when I installed it. Eh, well, always got my desktop. I'd rather have a working PC w/o internet than a dead one.


Same here. WiFi is the only thing that bugs me in Ubuntu. It needs some tweaking to get it to work. Try installing Wicd and remove NetworkManager to see if it works or not.
212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Saskatoon, SK. Ca...
Offline
Posted 11/6/11
Go for it!

I've been using Linux for 10 years and it's always been easier to install than Windows, takes about 15 minutes. Never had a piece of virus or other piece of malware. Finding and installing programs is way easier than Windows or Mac because Linux has always had an built in "App Store". We call it a package manager, open the program and you have nearly 40,000 programs to choose from no Internet hunting.

The new Ubuntu is a pure eyecandy 3D accelerated desktop that uses less than 300MB of RAM at idle. Gotta respect that.

New Wifi cards can be a pain because it takes about 3 months for drivers to get written for chipsets that the manufacturer doesn't support but you can use the Windows driver if you need to.

New games can take a while to be supported on Wine but if you lean how to tweak it you can run most anything. There are a few programs like Playonlinux and WineDoors that can help. Nvdia and ATI graphics drivers now preform just as well as Windows drivers.

Linux isn't hard to get into and because a new version of Ubuntu and other distros come out every 6 months it's like your PC gets better with age. If you want to learn more about computers it's the best way to get into it as you can have complete control of every aspect of your PC if your willing to learn the tools.

P.S. My parents used Mepis Linux from 2002 to 2006 because I was tired of removing viruses and they didn't even notice, Linux isn't hard.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.