First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Harems
67345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Glendale, AZ
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
While harems are overrated and sexist, how is it that several titles throughout the past few years (Rosario, Sora no Oto, etc.) still get a lot of fan appeal? I can see the comedy aspects/story/fan service certainly do add to the mix but what else?
1591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Minneapolis, MN,...
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
That's just it. Not many people take the time to understand the story or how bad it is until the show is over and they're watching there next fan service filled Harem. Some people just want the fan service. Harem is the most popular genre in terms of making a quick buck as well.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
most harem anime are based off of visual novels or eroge. "i am sure you guys know what those are by now" however there are few exceptions to this like love hina, negima or to love ru.etc. I don't really have a problem with it in general hell mayo chiki turned out to be really fun at the end "they finally choose a girl instead of leaving it in a cliff hanger" but still I don't really know. I think that it's hope that maybe a nice guy or person who is nice can have hopes of getting a GF, due in part "I am sorry for sounding sexiest here" most ladies go for a bad boy or hard ass type. Still I don't know really know why it's used even some anime that's not a harem series like Index or Shana end up having sub one for the one of the male leads.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
Rosario + Vampire (manga) is actually quite decent.
I guess that's one of the reasons.
410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Eden
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
I think it's popular amoung boys for obvious reasons (Guys want a lot of girls to cater to them, not all guys, but a lot). Girls liking it is a mystery.
95160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
Personally the only Harem series I've enjoyed are the ones that have something more going for them. Some larger story to enjoy, a Harem on it's own just isn't very interesting

The Rosario + Vampire anime was such a waste. the Manga has so much more going for it and they just ignored everything that was good in the series and left nothing but the Harem stuff. Complete waste of a good story.

Most of the time Harem is fine as a minor story element in a bigger plot but it's just not interesting on it's own. I've seen very few shows where the Harem itself makes for an interesting story.

Shojo series do a much better job with reverse harems anyway
11243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / BC, Canada =P
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
I usually try to stay away from harem series because most harem series tend to pander towards male audiences who are socially awkward with any female besides their mom.

Although there are a few exceptions to harem series that I like such as: Negima (manga), Love Hina (manga), and Strawberry 100% (manga).
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 11/8/11
Because people love shitty anime shows. The weak male represents the anime viewers and the girls are their distant dreams. Since the lead is a weakling with no spine at all, many find it easy to see themselves within the lead. Seeing as they feel similar to the lead, they can pretend that they are super popular with all the anime girls.

A different example could be tsundere. Why on earth would you find a tsundere attractive because of her personality? Calling a tsundere's behaviour "moe" is just silly. Imagine trying to be together with a person who constantly denies everything she likes about you, because it is "embarrassing" or something equally silly.

I can understand being embarrassed, but to the extend that you say you hate the person you actually love - or punching/kicking them? Get out of here. Fans of this anime stereotype probably can't see beyond the "moe" part, and just look at the shallow parts of it.
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 11/8/11 , edited 11/8/11

AHTL wrote:

Because people love shitty anime shows. The weak male represents the anime viewers and the girls are their distant dreams. Since the lead is a weakling with no spine at all, many find it easy to see themselves within the lead. Seeing as they feel similar to the lead, they can pretend that they are super popular with all the anime girls.

A different example could be tsundere. Why on earth would you find a tsundere attractive because of her personality? Calling a tsundere's behaviour "moe" is just silly. Imagine trying to be together with a person who constantly denies everything she likes about you, because it is "embarrassing" or something equally silly.

I can understand being embarrassed, but to the extend that you say you hate the person you actually love - or punching/kicking them? Get out of here. Fans of this anime stereotype probably can't see beyond the "moe" part, and just look at the shallow parts of it.


so i take it you don't like taiga "even though she changes and tordora isn't really an harem anime to begin with" You also have to look at the studio that adapts these shows. Some take the material and make into pandering even if it's not part of the source material 'j.c.staff i am looking at you with index/railgun" Theo do it for quick buck. Even my all time favorite anime clannad could be called a harem, however it broke the mold in after story and shoved any doubts up some ones a**. In all honesty I am sick of shitty adapts and I really do wish they would leave eroge/vn's alone. I know it's way to make serious more notable state side and to the general audience in japan however it's not good to do a rinse/repeat all the time.... "personally I like tsunderes but then agian i am M! so..ahem that's dwelling in to personally territory..."



andydono wrote:

I usually try to stay away from harem series because most harem series tend to pander towards male audiences who are socially awkward with any female besides their mom.

Although there are a few exceptions to harem series that I like such as: Negima (manga), Love Hina (manga), and Strawberry 100% (manga).


hmm what if you like some harem anime but hate your mother?
33884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 11/8/11
I really don't like harem. It's boring. There are a few exceptions, I suppose.
11243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / BC, Canada =P
Offline
Posted 11/8/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:

hmm what if you like some harem anime but hate your mother?


Um I don't think that makes a difference...
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 11/8/11

andydono wrote:


Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:

hmm what if you like some harem anime but hate your mother?


Um I don't think that makes a difference...


well let me rephrase what if you just want to be single guy the rest of your life and not care or ever "get married follow the norm". I still agree most harem anime are shit but meh i just like asking people questions like this.
11243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / BC, Canada =P
Offline
Posted 11/8/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:

well let me rephrase what if you just want to be single guy the rest of your life and not care or ever "get married follow the norm". I still agree most harem anime are shit but meh i just like asking people questions like this.


Well if you ain't ever going to marry and have a family, at least enjoy the wonders of sexual intercourse. For the moment I too don't plan on marrying, that's probably due to not having found that significant other half yet ...
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 11/8/11 , edited 11/8/11

AHTL wrote:

Because people love shitty anime shows. The weak male represents the anime viewers and the girls are their distant dreams. Since the lead is a weakling with no spine at all, many find it easy to see themselves within the lead. Seeing as they feel similar to the lead, they can pretend that they are super popular with all the anime girls.


That pretty much nails it.

I would add that people seem to love shitty, simple phantasmagoric plot devices in all forms of entertainment. It's not really exclusive to Anime/Manga ... the "harem" device is merely the action movie hero to others and so on. When people are psychologically weak in one area, they attempt strength it with fantasy.

Of course, that never ends well. Never.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 11/8/11 , edited 11/8/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:

so i take it you don't like taiga "even though she changes and tordora isn't really an harem anime to begin with" You also have to look at the studio that adapts these shows. Some take the material and make into pandering even if it's not part of the source material 'j.c.staff i am looking at you with index/railgun" Theo do it for quick buck. Even my all time favorite anime clannad could be called a harem, however it broke the mold in after story and shoved any doubts up some ones a**. In all honesty I am sick of shitty adapts and I really do wish they would leave eroge/vn's alone. I know it's way to make serious more notable state side and to the general audience in japan however it's not good to do a rinse/repeat all the time.... "personally I like tsunderes but then agian i am M! so..ahem that's dwelling in to personally territory..."


Yet to watch it, been trying to but I've read parts of the manga and that kind of ruins it for me. My main issue with harems is when there is no progression. The start is pretty much the same as the end, despite so much "progress" being shown in between. I couldn't enjoy Index/Railgun at all, it just felt bad watching it. Dropped index after like 7 episodes.

I won't deny enjoying Clannad, but that was a long time ago before I even properly knew what harem anime was.

Shitty adaptation and whatnot is what I'm having a real issue with. Most tsundere characters are pretty bland and shit. Only tsundere I've really liked was Makise Kurisu in Steins;Gate. The majority of them are just plain annoying and ruins the anime/manga experience with their pointless reactions.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.