First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Online Piracy Act (Protect our Websites!)
Posted 11/16/11
Here are the issues outside of the bill's attempt to retain billions in profits:
1) Artists are demanding they be paid 200+ years after their death rather than join the rest of the world as work for hire. Though, I am envious. It sure would be nice to receive royalties for flipping burgers when I was 16 today.

2) The entertainment industry violates many laws, especially at the federal level, with price gouging, price fixing, and massive fair trade violations.

3) Finally, and the most to blame: you. That's right, you. After all, where do you suppose they get the money to pay for the lobbyists to craft these bills? You just can't seem to live without latest bubble-headed teenage sex object song or idiot who thinks they're funny actor playing two sexes in a movie. But imagine what happens when you can find something else to entertain yourself at sites like YouTube made by people just like you, and they charge you nothing but maybe a "like".

This is why the issue is much more complicated than "censoring the internet".
935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / New York City
Offline
Posted 11/16/11

Libara wrote:

So much for free speech. Internet is the main source of this, although I can't see this going through with the amount of opposition there will be from the public.


i totally agree with u but you know how the U.S Government is . . .they will try and stop at nothing to have this bill passed, they are ruthless
935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / New York City
Offline
Posted 11/16/11

MirrorOfKagami wrote:

Here are the issues outside of the bill's attempt to retain billions in profits:
1) Artists are demanding they be paid 200+ years after their death rather than join the rest of the world as work for hire. Though, I am envious. It sure would be nice to receive royalties for flipping burgers when I was 16 today.

2) The entertainment industry violates many laws, especially at the federal level, with price gouging, price fixing, and massive fair trade violations.

3) Finally, and the most to blame: you. That's right, you. After all, where do you suppose they get the money to pay for the lobbyists to craft these bills? You just can't seem to live without latest bubble-headed teenage sex object song or idiot who thinks they're funny actor playing two sexes in a movie. But imagine what happens when you can find something else to entertain yourself at sites like YouTube made by people just like you, and they charge you nothing but maybe a "like".

This is why the issue is much more complicated than "censoring the internet".


oh wow i didn't even know some of that, thanks for posting and informing us more about all of this
Posted 11/16/11

Mayumi12 oh wow i didn't even know some of that, thanks for posting and informing us more about all of this

Copyright affects me personally, which is why many have stated I should have been a copyright lawyer since I seem to know more than they do (and in many cases, it's actually true).

People see SOPA issues and think the internet will break and only focus on this issue. People really need to open their eyes to how the US entertainment industry is a corporate empire hell bent on controlling everything we see and do.

And this doesn't just apply to the United States, either. Many countries are expressing their concern this industry is overstepping its bounds.

As anime fans, it should come as no surprise to most that Japan's copyright laws were crafted by our industry, with a few exceptions. It's also why they're attending TPP talks, because Japan will atone for Pearl Harbor until the human race is extinct (or either country no longer exists, whichever comes first).

Right now, SOPA isn't our biggest issue, even if it goes into law. As odd as this sounds, I hope it does go into law if only to see companies and people finally see how this industry affects their daily lives.

Some people need to see something before they believe it, and this bill most assuredly will present them the opportunity.
Posted 11/16/11 , edited 11/16/11
awwwww poor U.S.A lol why put us all just the us thing is they only censer the us part of them
935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / New York City
Offline
Posted 11/16/11

MirrorOfKagami wrote:


Mayumi12 oh wow i didn't even know some of that, thanks for posting and informing us more about all of this

Copyright affects me personally, which is why many have stated I should have been a copyright lawyer since I seem to know more than they do (and in many cases, it's actually true).

People see SOPA issues and think the internet will break and only focus on this issue. People really need to open their eyes to how the US entertainment industry is a corporate empire hell bent on controlling everything we see and do.

And this doesn't just apply to the United States, either. Many countries are expressing their concern this industry is overstepping its bounds.

As anime fans, it should come as no surprise to most that Japan's copyright laws were crafted by our industry, with a few exceptions. It's also why they're attending TPP talks, because Japan will atone for Pearl Harbor until the human race is extinct (or either country no longer exists, whichever comes first).

Right now, SOPA isn't our biggest issue, even if it goes into law. As odd as this sounds, I hope it does go into law if only to see companies and people finally see how this industry affects their daily lives.

Some people need to see something before they believe it, and this bill most assuredly will present them the opportunity.


i agree with you 100% . and this is exactly why i made this Post and i'm posting the websites about this SOPA on twitter/Tumblr/Facebook etc . . and i'm trying to tell everyone that if we do not take action it's all down hill . and yea it's much more than the internet this effects everyone in a different way
43518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/16/11 , edited 11/16/11

MirrorOfKagami wrote:
3) Finally, and the most to blame: you. That's right, you. After all, where do you suppose they get the money to pay for the lobbyists to craft these bills? You just can't seem to live without latest bubble-headed teenage sex object song or idiot who thinks they're funny actor playing two sexes in a movie. But imagine what happens when you can find something else to entertain yourself at sites like YouTube made by people just like you, and they charge you nothing but maybe a "like".

This is why the issue is much more complicated than "censoring the internet".


We're also to blame for not buying their products as they expect us to. For every time they don't sell an album for $20-25 that is one good track and twelve tracks of crap, is one sale that was obviously lost due to "theft" from pirates.

Or those damned freeloading barber shop owners playing their radios in the store, those filthy pirates.

Don't forget those damned godforsaken hardware stores , even if they don't actually play any music.


Don't forget, every sale that the industry thinks should have been made but wasn't, was due to piracy. According to this, Limewire alone was claimed by the RIAA to have owed $75 Trillion, because as we all know every track downloaded was a separate album sale that would have otherwise been made.
935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / New York City
Offline
Posted 11/16/11
well i disagree with those people! if they wanted more ALBUM sale's they need to bring down those PRICES . paying $13 & UP for a C.D is crazy! (in my opinion) so why are THEY MAD they we dont BUY their products, and yes their are people that still do buy them .
66780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Offline
Posted 11/16/11 , edited 11/16/11

Mayumi12 wrote:

well i disagree with those people! if they wanted more ALBUM sale's they need to bring down those PRICES . paying $13 & UP for a C.D is crazy! (in my opinion) so why are THEY MAD they we dont BUY their products, and yes their are people that still do buy them .


fun fact for most in this thread, I create back ups "making images of games, ripping cd's or copying dvd's i buy something ONCE and only once" Besides the fact of low album sales.. is they really any music in the past 5 years worth owning "I mean full cd's not singles or songs" Hell I buy anime/game ost's all the time but that's because I am huge "nerd". Maybe if wal-mart would sell uncut cd's in their 5 dollar bargain bin then I would hop right on that, oh and don't forget buying used copies is just as bad as downloading an illegal copy.


My thoughts are kind of jumbled right now so sorry if this post doesn't make any sense.
935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / New York City
Offline
Posted 11/16/11

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:


Mayumi12 wrote:

well i disagree with those people! if they wanted more ALBUM sale's they need to bring down those PRICES . paying $13 & UP for a C.D is crazy! (in my opinion) so why are THEY MAD they we dont BUY their products, and yes their are people that still do buy them .


fun fact for most in this thread, I create back ups "making images of games, ripping cd's or copying dvd's i buy something ONCE and only once" Besides the fact of low album sales.. is they really any music in the past 5 years worth owning "I mean full cd's not singles or songs" Hell I buy anime/game ost's all the time but that's because I am huge "nerd". Maybe if wal-mart would sell uncut cd's in their 5 dollar bargain bin then I would hop right on that, oh and don't forget buying used copies is just as bad as downloading an illegal copy.


My thoughts are kind of jumbled right now so sorry if this post doesn't make any sense.


its alright and i do see where u are coming from, it's just from a different Point of view .
12424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/16/11
will it affect Canada? D:
43518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/16/11

becauseshutup wrote:

will it affect Canada? D:


Yes.
12424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/16/11

MisterPercy wrote:


becauseshutup wrote:

will it affect Canada? D:


Yes.


aw man.
257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/16/11
I do believe this only affects America but, American laws are sorta of the precedent of how laws should be form, so if America does this many other countries will join in soon after. And this is as simple as if you were filming something and then in one frame in the background a show was playing, you get censored. And on a blog, it doesn't matter if you don't put anything that violates the law, just someone putting a link in the comments that could be censored, will censor your page.This is the same sort of system they use in China, Syria, and Iran.

This is just so the overpaid artists who suck, get paid more, and get paid after they are dead. Most people would be happy if they get a pension. This seems to be one more way they richer are trying to make themselves richer and us poorer (starting to sound like the occupy Wall St. movement). And it isn't just the one party that is doing it, it is both parties in America that are going for it, out of the 100 senators 23 are sponsoring it already (7 dem, 16 rep). Out of the 435 Representative 38 are sponsoring it, but remember these are just the people sponsoring it, there are going to be far more going for it in the vote.

So if this goes through, see ya you tube, Facebook, twitter, etc. Your emails will be censored (sometimes not a bad thing), but some of these links they say infringe the law could be legitimate links. This is a Law on par with the McCarthy censorship if not worse, and far more wide spread, as the internet has greater media coverage then that of the literature at the time. And face it the only way you will survive is to be original which now a days is almost impossible.
43518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/16/11

D3nn1s10 wrote:
<snip>



Joo checks the link above mang.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.