First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
The Best Macintosh
Posted 11/19/11
Well actually, I'm buying a computer in general,

But in your opinion, what is the best mac? They have a pretty solid line up, but which ones have you owned/used? I want of opinions before I lay down 2500$,

Which Mac do you owns and how would you rate is usability?
Banned
12724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 11/19/11
What the hell? Why would you put that much down for a MAC?
Build a custom computer for a grand, and you get 20x better results with gaming, and speed.
The hell?
Posted 11/19/11

o3oBuddha wrote:

What the hell? Why would you put that much down for a MAC?
Build a custom computer for a grand, and you get 20x better results with gaming, and speed.
The hell?


That's how much a good Mac costs, sure there some for 799$ but I want mine to last.

I know PC's are cheaper and a faster and stronger can be built for a little less(Okay, a lot less).

I'm a programmer/Web designer and also starting to dabble in music, art and photography, so the software of a mac is probably the best for me.

Also, you need a Mac to get Xcode, you can't program applications for iOS or Mac OS with Windows or Linux silly, ;).

Apple's a bit too idiotic for that...
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Online
Posted 11/19/11
troll thread already... wow .. not really surpised and I do not know. The last mac I did use and still own is an Imac from 99 with mac os 9.2, 128bm of ram with a 12gb hd.. I really haven't had much time to spend around on the newer models nor do I have the money do to so however you might want to try cnet.com or newegg for tech reviews.
43414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 11/19/11
ALthough I'm not a general fan of macs, they do tend to be a little more simpler to set up. Most things will just work out of the box, the downside being that they work as is, and aren't terribly flexible if you need to do something really unorthodox.

If your commited to getting a mac, try to go for a model that has no fan and uses an aluminum casing to disperse heat (If your going to be keeping it in a very cool room of aroun 72 degrees F).

As far as the lineup goes it's safe to say that you can go for a lower end model as long as your new interests don't include 3d animation.

They all end up handling the same way, so figure out how much ram and proccesing power you'll need, and go from there.
Posted 11/19/11 , edited 11/20/11

o3oBuddha wrote:


Aero-Mach wrote:


o3oBuddha wrote:

What the hell? Why would you put that much down for a MAC?
Build a custom computer for a grand, and you get 20x better results with gaming, and speed.
The hell?


That's how much a good Mac costs, sure there some for 799$ but I want mine to last.

I know PC's are cheaper and a faster and stronger can be built for a little less(Okay, a lot less).

I'm a programmer/Web designer and also starting to dabble in music, art and photography, so the software of a mac is probably the best for me.

Also, you need a Mac to get Xcode, you can't program applications for iOS or Mac OS with Windows or Linux silly, ;).

Apple's a bit too idiotic for that...


What, Mac is not the only producer for Xcode.
And Windows is more then capable for iOS.
What am I hearing?

If you mean for Mac is more simplistic, then yes, it IS.

No need to be some kind of weird PC elitist/anti apple/Mac hater/Mac troll :P

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/

It doesn't make sense that Xcode would be on PC and it isn't, you can develop for a Mac product without a Mac, and if you post anything about Hackintosh I'll facepalm you. :D
1591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Minneapolis, MN,...
Offline
Posted 11/19/11

Aero-Mach wrote:

Well actually, I'm buying a computer in general,

But in your opinion, what is the best mac? They have a pretty solid line up, but which ones have you owned/used? I want of opinions before I lay down 2500$,

Which Mac do you owns and how would you rate is usability?


I'd rather buy a trip to Japan than put THAT much money on a computer.

Honestly If you REALLY want a Mac. Just make a Custom rig PC for $800, buy the latest Mac OS and use Bootcamp to run Windows 7 on it.

At most you will spend around $1,000 to $1,200 on it and still have money left over to pay for any Music Production programs or Illustration programs that you don't feel like torrenting.

Posted 11/19/11

o3oBuddha wrote:

What the hell? Why would you put that much down for a MAC?
Build a custom computer for a grand, and you get 20x better results with gaming, and speed.
The hell?


My monies on this guy. If he can make what he says happen then I'm in.

Though I can't dismiss my preference for genuine articles. If you're going to get one just ask them you want everything. Probably a good idea to hold out and be prepared to pay an extra $500 if you really want the best built mac.

43414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 11/19/11 , edited 11/19/11
Alright, Definitly go for the Imac, and be sure to grab an Intel i7, other than that go nuts with the design (I highly recommend getting 8 gigs of ramn, but it isn't neccessary) To keep costs down, try to go for the 21.5 inch model, which is still massive in person (And they do run very well, just stay away for a program called "animation master", on macs it tends to crash random within upto 5 minutes, even if left idle)


Not going to comment on alternatives to macs unless OP asks for some, since macs do work pretty well and have one advantage over a pc:
legitimately decent (and by decent I mean it functions very well) editing software, and functions extremely well with with Adobe's product lineup.
3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 11/19/11

Aero-Mach wrote:


No need to be some kind of weird PC elitist/anti apple/Mac hater/Mac troll :P


Says the Mac elitist/Fanboy/I'm-better-than-all-of-you troll.
43414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 11/19/11 , edited 11/19/11
Honestly, if this thread turns into a flame thread, it's going to be pc enthusiast's fualt, since he did ask advice on mac's, and personal taste should be left out in these kinds of scenarios. He's a webdesigner, a coder, and most likely has had time to pick which one he likes.

Pc, linux, macs, it doesn't matter, if they want a mac let them buy a mac, and maybe if you feel helpful give an honest opinion on which one you would buy and for what reason. Double points if you actually have experience with the machines!
Banned
12724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 11/19/11

squirrel3d wrote:


Aero-Mach wrote:


No need to be some kind of weird PC elitist/anti apple/Mac hater/Mac troll :P


Says the Mac elitist/Fanboy/I'm-better-than-all-of-you troll.


this.
Posted 11/19/11

nerdfromhel wrote:

Alright, Definitly go for the Imac, and be sure to grab an Intel i7, other than that go nuts with the design (I highly recommend getting 8 gigs of ramn, but it isn't neccessary) To keep costs down, try to go for the 21.5 inch model, which is still massive in person (And they do run very well, just stay away for a program called "animation master", on macs it tends to crash random within upto 5 minutes, even if left idle)


Not going to comment on alternatives to macs unless OP asks for some, since macs do work pretty well and have one advantage over a pc:
legitimately decent (and by decent I mean it functions very well) editing software, and functions extremely well with with Adobe's product lineup.


Thanks for understanding a mac user in a pool of PC snobs, :D

I checked the iMac, and it sounds like my kind of machine! It has the ram and power necessary to run all the software I want from 3D animation to film shorts!

Who would've thunk Final Cut Pro would be great enough to be your own producer?!(OF films that has quality).

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I will choose the iMac and then the MacBook Pro next!

I wish there was a like button on profile pages....
66778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Lagrange, KY
Online
Posted 11/19/11

Aero-Mach wrote:


nerdfromhel wrote:

Alright, Definitly go for the Imac, and be sure to grab an Intel i7, other than that go nuts with the design (I highly recommend getting 8 gigs of ramn, but it isn't neccessary) To keep costs down, try to go for the 21.5 inch model, which is still massive in person (And they do run very well, just stay away for a program called "animation master", on macs it tends to crash random within upto 5 minutes, even if left idle)


Not going to comment on alternatives to macs unless OP asks for some, since macs do work pretty well and have one advantage over a pc:
legitimately decent (and by decent I mean it functions very well) editing software, and functions extremely well with with Adobe's product lineup.


Thanks for understanding a mac user in a pool of PC snobs, :D

I checked the iMac, and it sounds like my kind of machine! It has the ram and power necessary to run all the software I want from 3D animation to film shorts!

Who would've thunk Final Cut Pro would be great enough to be your own producer?!(OF films that has quality).

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I will choose the iMac and then the MacBook Pro next!

I wish there was a like button on profile pages....


i really do wish that I could have been more help ... but mac's are little out of my reach as now. Anyhow enjoy your device that you will be buying.
43414 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 11/19/11
No problem, I prefer Pcs, but I have had 4+ years of experience using macs from my old highschool. Photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, toonboom studio, final cut pro, garage band, Animation master (shudder). I've used them for many classes, and although I laugh at how easy it is to make them treat somthing like say- halo combat evolved as, say firefox
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.