First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
People who make Top [number] anime list...
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chesapeake, VA
Offline
Posted 11/25/11
Ok, the title may not say much. But basically this post is about people who make "Top 10 best anime" or "Top 20 cutest anime girls" or whatever. You see, I hate those people. You can say it's stupid to hate people like that, I don't care. I am fed up with people givng TOP 5's or 10's or 20's or whatever in anime. As if they have seen the over 6,000 titles(most of which are not dubbed or subbed thanks to idiot executives at anime licensing companies in the US and Political Correctness in America). My advice to people is DO NOT make such things unless you have seen every anime ever made(at least 40 new anime comes out in Japan every week, so it's impossible) or unless you word it like "Top [BLAH] anime that "I" have ever seen. 60% of the world's animation is anime(animation that originates in Japan) according to the Times.

I am sure I will get nobody to agree with me, and everybody will launch insults and what not at what I said, but this is how it is.
55026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/11

Otaku2012 wrote:

Ok, the title may not say much. But basically this post is about people who make "Top 10 best anime" or "Top 20 cutest anime girls" or whatever. You see, I hate those people. You can say it's stupid to hate people like that, I don't care. I am fed up with people givng TOP 5's or 10's or 20's or whatever in anime. As if they have seen the over 6,000 titles(most of which are not dubbed or subbed thanks to idiot executives at anime licensing companies in the US and Political Correctness in America). My advice to people is DO NOT make such things unless you have seen every anime ever made(at least 40 new anime comes out in Japan every week, so it's impossible) or unless you word it like "Top [BLAH] anime that "I" have ever seen. 60% of the world's animation is anime(animation that originates in Japan) according to the Times.

I am sure I will get nobody to agree with me, and everybody will launch insults and what not at what I said, but this is how it is.


There are a lot of things wrong with your post objectively (factually); I have no need for insults. I'm not a child. But, let's move on:

"the over 6,000 titles(most of which are not dubbed or subbed thanks to idiot executives at anime licensing companies in the US and Political Correctness in America)"

This figure seems arbitrary, as there are many more titles than that. Most anime today is subbed (almost every series), and very little of what is dubbed/not dubbed has to do with political correctness. Rather, it is because of issues with licensing and marketing ("Will it sell?").

"My advice to people is DO NOT make such things unless you have seen every anime ever made"

People are clearly giving their subjective rankings of what they have viewed. You're asking for an impossibility. The chances of finding anyone who has seen every episode of every anime ever is likely 0%.

"(at least 40 new anime comes out in Japan every week, so it's impossible)"

That is incorrect on two accounts. Thanks for the Internet, we know that this is false easily. New series in Japan are generally aired in seasons, like in most countries, and rarely more than a couple series begin each week, with a few dozen maximum beginning every season. Also, it is certainly possible to watch 40 episodes a week.

"60% of the world's animation is anime(animation that originates in Japan) according to the Times. "

This is the closest you get to factual correctness, and even this statistic is out of date and not relevant whatsoever... it just seems tacked on.




People are making subjective lists. The very idea of making a list of "favorites" is that they are YOUR favorites. With that comes an inherent, intrinsic link to subjectivity: clearly, all lists are subjective unless based on factual data (ie: "Who is the tallest character in X series?"). I don't make lists beyond my "top X series" or "top X comedies" because those are actually representative of my tastes and allows others to easily relate (or not relate, as a result of different tastes), thereby allowing me to find people with common interests. It serves a practical purpose.

You'll consistently, at every turn, find things about life that bother you. I suggest not getting so worked up and just moving on. It isn't that big of a deal.
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 11/26/11 , edited 11/26/11
I honestly get kind of tired of it when so many of the topics in the anime section are just about listing anime and characters. I mean it seems like most just involve naming a character or telling which opening theme you like most or something like that, seems leave little room for discussion other than "I agree" or "I disagree". It's getting a little overplayed. (Pretty much why I don't post around here as much as other sections)

Just one little thing though; keep in mind you probably should hold it against anybody personally, okay :]?



Bitch that list is flawless. I haven't even seen half those anime and I know it.
35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 11/26/11 , edited 11/26/11

Otaku2012 wrote:



I am sure I will get nobody to agree with me, and everybody will launch insults and what not at what I said, but this is how it is.


Yeah.

Your opinion is bullshit, and you should be ashamed about making this thread. Fucking Americans.
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chesapeake, VA
Offline
Posted 11/26/11 , edited 11/27/11

randomcl73 wrote:


Otaku2012 wrote:

Ok, the title may not say much. But basically this post is about people who make "Top 10 best anime" or "Top 20 cutest anime girls" or whatever. You see, I hate those people. You can say it's stupid to hate people like that, I don't care. I am fed up with people givng TOP 5's or 10's or 20's or whatever in anime. As if they have seen the over 6,000 titles(most of which are not dubbed or subbed thanks to idiot executives at anime licensing companies in the US and Political Correctness in America). My advice to people is DO NOT make such things unless you have seen every anime ever made(at least 40 new anime comes out in Japan every week, so it's impossible) or unless you word it like "Top [BLAH] anime that "I" have ever seen. 60% of the world's animation is anime(animation that originates in Japan) according to the Times.

I am sure I will get nobody to agree with me, and everybody will launch insults and what not at what I said, but this is how it is.


There are a lot of things wrong with your post objectively (factually); I have no need for insults. I'm not a child. But, let's move on:

"the over 6,000 titles(most of which are not dubbed or subbed thanks to idiot executives at anime licensing companies in the US and Political Correctness in America)"

This figure seems arbitrary, as there are many more titles than that. Most anime today is subbed (almost every series), and very little of what is dubbed/not dubbed has to do with political correctness. Rather, it is because of issues with licensing and marketing ("Will it sell?").

"My advice to people is DO NOT make such things unless you have seen every anime ever made"

People are clearly giving their subjective rankings of what they have viewed. You're asking for an impossibility. The chances of finding anyone who has seen every episode of every anime ever is likely 0%.

"(at least 40 new anime comes out in Japan every week, so it's impossible)"

That is incorrect on two accounts. Thanks for the Internet, we know that this is false easily. New series in Japan are generally aired in seasons, like in most countries, and rarely more than a couple series begin each week, with a few dozen maximum beginning every season. Also, it is certainly possible to watch 40 episodes a week.

"60% of the world's animation is anime(animation that originates in Japan) according to the Times. "

This is the closest you get to factual correctness, and even this statistic is out of date and not relevant whatsoever... it just seems tacked on.




People are making subjective lists. The very idea of making a list of "favorites" is that they are YOUR favorites. With that comes an inherent, intrinsic link to subjectivity: clearly, all lists are subjective unless based on factual data (ie: "Who is the tallest character in X series?"). I don't make lists beyond my "top X series" or "top X comedies" because those are actually representative of my tastes and allows others to easily relate (or not relate, as a result of different tastes), thereby allowing me to find people with common interests. It serves a practical purpose.

You'll consistently, at every turn, find things about life that bother you. I suggest not getting so worked up and just moving on. It isn't that big of a deal.



Note I said, "OVER 6,000". Most anime isn't dubbed or subbed. Don't believe me? Ask the owner of J-List/J-Box. Hell, ask Dannychoo or who ever is the owner of Fakku or Sankaku Complex, since you obviously don't believe me. That no enough? How about Gen Fukunaga? Maybe I should have made it more clear, most anime is not LEGALLY dubbed or subbed. I do not recognized illegal subs or dubs since they are...well, ILLEGAL!

If you don't think what is and isn't dubbed isn't due to political correctness, then I would love for you to tell my why most hentai isn't dubbed or subbed. Especially Lolicon. The ONLY Lolicon hentai that I can think of that is dubbed is "Little Monica Monogatari" and "Kite". Not convincing enough? Then you are blinded by something. There are many many many GREAT anime that are not dubbed. I know there are many anime that are great that are dubbed to, but if it was marketing issue then crappy unpopular anime like Gunslinger Girl, Ai Mai Mi ! Strawberry Egg, and Gunslinger Girls would have never reached the US shores.

If people are giving a clear view of anime they have seen, they would state that. But they fail to do that, so they are opening themselves up for an attack.. Now about my stats on anime airing in Japan being incorrect, you can assume that as much as you wish. But that is how it is. Japan. Bitch to The Japan Times about the stat being "Wrong". Not me. Now on the 60% anime blah blah blah, the stat comes from 2006(I believe). Unless you have a new stat, it will remain relevant until it's proven to be bullshit.

It is my responsibly as an over-opinionated assbag to give my view on anything I want to(welcome or not). That's how it's been since my second year in High School and that's how it will be until I die.



CarboKill wrote:


Otaku2012 wrote:



I am sure I will get nobody to agree with me, and everybody will launch insults and what not at what I said, but this is how it is.


Yeah.

Your opinion is bullshit, and you should be ashamed about making this thread. Fucking Americans.


I may not like the US(at all), but I do love facts. and the fact is the US is better than the UK in nearly every way. The ONLY thing you fools have that beats the US is that profanity is not censored on TV. Other than that, the UK is riding on the coat tails of the US and there isn't anything that can be done to fix that.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 11/26/11
My top 10 anime:

1. One Piece
2. Gintama
3. Clannad ~After Story~
4. Monster
5. Steins;Gate
6. Baccano!
7. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
8. Code Geass
9. Great Teacher Onizuka
10. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
11. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
12. Nodame Cantabile
13. Katanagatari
14. Detective Conan
15. Usagi Drop

FLAWLESS list tbqfh.

347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Las Noches, Heuco...
Offline
Posted 11/26/11

chrome_mist wrote:

My top 10 anime:

1. One Piece
2. Gintama
3. Clannad ~After Story~
4. Monster
5. Steins;Gate
6. Baccano!
7. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
8. Code Geass
9. Great Teacher Onizuka
10. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
11. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
12. Nodame Cantabile
13. Katanagatari
14. Detective Conan
15. Usagi Drop

FLAWLESS list tbqfh.



The fact that you have One Piece, Gintama, Detective Conan and Usagi Drop proves that there is no fucking faith in humanity and that making lists is stupid and simple-minded.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 11/26/11 , edited 11/26/11

Espada8 wrote:

The fact that you have One Piece, Gintama, Detective Conan and Usagi Drop proves that there is no fucking faith in humanity and that making lists is stupid and simple-minded.


This coming from a fan of a bleach detergent show? Okay.





The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 11/26/11 , edited 11/26/11

Otaku2012 wrote:
Maybe I should have made it more clear, most anime is not LEGALLY dubbed or subbed. I do not recognized illegal subs or dubs since they are...well, ILLEGAL!

If you don't think what is and isn't dubbed isn't due to political correctness, then I would love for you to tell my why most hentai isn't dubbed or subbed. Especially Lolicon. The ONLY Lolicon hentai that I can think of that is dubbed is "Little Monica Monogatari" and "Kite". Not convincing enough?

If one is going to include hentai, then your claim is likely correct. In most lists that one sees, however, they are populated only by non-hentai titles, so I think that is more germane to the conversation to omit them.

If for example, you check this list of Fall 2010 anime, note that the titles that have been struck through have been legally licensed. I count 37 titles total, and 23 struck through. That is 62%, well over a majority. Keep in mind that is while the season is still ongoing, and further titles could be licensed.

Some notes about the licensed titles:

1. Gundam AGE isn't legally available to viewers in the U.S., so it could be removed from the list.
2. As of when I compose this, the list still does not reflect that CR licensed gdgd Fairies (which brings us back to 23 licensed titles, even when #1 is taken into account).
3. Two titles, Zero no Tsukaima Kessakusen and The Prince of Tennis: Best Match, are simply compilations of previously aired episodes, aired in promotion of new series for each coming in January 2012.
4. One title, High Score, has yet to air.

I expect if I check back to Summer 2010, I would also find the majority of titles were licensed, and probably the Spring as well. It seems clear that going forward, the majority of titles will be licensed.


Then you are blinded by something. There are many many many GREAT anime that are not dubbed. I know there are many anime that are great that are dubbed to, but if it was marketing issue then crappy unpopular anime like Gunslinger Girl, Ai Mai Mi ! Strawberry Egg, and Gunslinger Girls would have never reached the US shores.
You must really dislike Gunslinger Girl, since you listed it twice.

Your claim of "unpopular" seems to be discounted by the fact that Funimation apparently saw enough sales from the first series that they turned around and licensed both the OVAs and the second series. A company typically does not do that with "unpopular" series.


On a matter related to this topic, I am no fan of "list topics" (i.e, "Coolest anime character who wears Red clothes", "Top 3 Cutest Anime Guys", "Anime's Sexiest Psychopath?" [just to grab 3 from the current first page of topics here]) as the responses are typically just lists with no discussion or substance, but railing against them would be as likely to result in people ceasing to post them as trying to get the sun to rise in the west.
55026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/11

Otaku2012 wrote:


Note I said, "OVER 6,000". Most anime isn't dubbed or subbed. Don't believe me? Ask the owner of J-List/J-Box. Hell, ask Dannychoo or who ever is the owner of Fakku or Sankaku Complex, since you obviously don't believe me. That no enough? How about Gen Fukunaga? Maybe I should have made it more clear, most anime is not LEGALLY dubbed or subbed. I do not recognized illegal subs or dubs since they are...well, ILLEGAL!

If you don't think what is and isn't dubbed isn't due to political correctness, then I would love for you to tell my why most hentai isn't dubbed or subbed. Especially Lolicon. The ONLY Lolicon hentai that I can think of that is dubbed is "Little Monica Monogatari" and "Kite". Not convincing enough? Then you are blinded by something. There are many many many GREAT anime that are not dubbed. I know there are many anime that are great that are dubbed to, but if it was marketing issue then crappy unpopular anime like Gunslinger Girl, Ai Mai Mi ! Strawberry Egg, and Gunslinger Girls would have never reached the US shores.

If people are giving a clear view of anime they have seen, they would state that. But they fail to do that, so they are opening themselves up for an attack.. Now about my stats on anime airing in Japan being incorrect, you can assume that as much as you wish. But that is how it is. Japan. Bitch to The Japan Times about the stat being "Wrong". Not me. Now on the 60% anime blah blah blah, the stat comes from 2006(I believe). Unless you have a new stat, it will remain relevant until it's proven to be bullshit.

It is my responsibly as an over-opinionated assbag to give my view on anything I want to(welcome or not). That's how it's been since my second year in High School and that's how it will be until I die.



"Over 6,000" is like saying "over 10". It is correct, but doesn't assist your point whatsoever.

Most anime IS dubbed/subbed, regardless of legality. Legality has nothing to do with someone's subjective listing of their top 10 favorite characters.

Of course they are referring to only anime they've seen. It is implicit. It is equivalent to listing favorite music, film, art, literature, etc. It is obviously from their subjective point of view and opened to be "attacked", but it is still their opinion. There is a difference between someone saying "these are the top 10 anime of all time" (something I never see) and "these are my 10 favorite anime series" (something I always see).

Your statistics are outdated. That was my point. And again, like most of your points, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I am baffled by your incessant, superfluous complaints about people providing their subjective, personal opinion about something they truly enjoy (and, in doing so, not harming you whatsoever) while feeling "responsible" to do nearly the exact same thing by criticizing them. As annoying as you find those people, I'm sure if you stepped back and actually analyzed YOURSELF, you'd realize just how much more annoying it is when someone like you attempts to stand on some soapbox while spouting false "facts" constantly while trying to defend a moot point.

The only portion of your ENTIRE post that addressed the topic at hand is the single line:
"If people are giving a clear view of anime they have seen, they would state that. But they fail to do that, so they are opening themselves up for an attack.."

And that is quite flawed. Apply some basic critically thinking here, please. Of course they are only referring to anime they've seen. Do you think anyone who has ever made a list of favorite things is so omniscient that they've experienced every aspect of every piece of that media?

I have a favorite novel, film, play, anime, "cartoon", TV show... I even have a favorite toothpaste. That doesn't mean I am proclaiming it to be better than the rest. It means it is my favorite.

Only completely deluded individuals would claim that their personal favorites are the best in existence without having experienced what else there is out there, and only a completely deluded individual would be so upset by the aforementioned people.

Take a step back and weigh what really matters in life. If this really bothers you, at least address it on a level that makes some degree of sense. Apply some critical thinking, step back, and try again. You're coming off as half-cocked and relying on (extremely irrelevant) falsehoods to make your nonsensical points.
55026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/11

TheAncientOne wrote:

On a matter related to this topic, I am no fan of "list topics" (i.e, "Coolest anime character who wears Red clothes", "Top 3 Cutest Anime Guys", "Anime's Sexiest Psychopath?" [just to grab 3 from the current first page of topics here]) as the responses are typically just lists with no discussion or substance, but railing against them would be as likely to result in people ceasing to post them as trying to get the sun to rise in the west.


Completely agreed. Nothing will come of it. Those threads are wastes of space and do not spur any intelligent discourse whatsoever. They are simply places for people to list things. I find it completely pointless myself, but, as a mature and thoughtful person, I simply ignore it and move on. It causes no harm to anyone, and there is no way to stop being from... listing things.

It sounds like the OP is attempting to address two separate issues while approaching neither with a sound argument.
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chesapeake, VA
Offline
Posted 11/26/11 , edited 11/26/11

TheAncientOne wrote:



Then you are blinded by something. There are many many many GREAT anime that are not dubbed. I know there are many anime that are great that are dubbed to, but if it was marketing issue then crappy unpopular anime like Gunslinger Girl, Ai Mai Mi ! Strawberry Egg, and Gunslinger Girls would have never reached the US shores.
You must really dislike Gunslinger Girl, since you listed it twice.

Your claim of "unpopular" seems to be discounted by the fact that Funimation apparently saw enough sales from the first series that they turned around and licensed both the OVAs and the second series. A company typically does not do that with "unpopular" series.


Last i checked, FUNimation doesn't release anime in Japan. When I said popular, it should have been obvious I was talking about in Japan. Note when I said, "WOULD HAVE NEVER REACHED US SHORES". That should have been a clue. Last time I checked, Gunslinger girl was not a hit anime in Japan. All Gunslinger had was 2 season and an OVA. HIT anime include Angel Beats, The Clannad Series, and Neon Genesis Evangelion(just to name a few). US Licencing companies have had a history of releasing shitty anime, because they think it will gain notoriety in the US. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. But now I will make a new forum topic.... I just got the inspiration.

PS: Gunslinger girl's characters are very cute(and I would fuck them), and I did watch season 1. But I dropped season 2.


randomcl73 wrote:


"Over 6,000" is like saying "over 10". It is correct, but doesn't assist your point whatsoever.

Most anime IS dubbed/subbed, regardless of legality. Legality has nothing to do with someone's subjective listing of their top 10 favorite characters.

Of course they are referring to only anime they've seen. It is implicit. It is equivalent to listing favorite music, film, art, literature, etc. It is obviously from their subjective point of view and opened to be "attacked", but it is still their opinion. There is a difference between someone saying "these are the top 10 anime of all time" (something I never see) and "these are my 10 favorite anime series" (something I always see).

Your statistics are outdated. That was my point. And again, like most of your points, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I am baffled by your incessant, superfluous complaints about people providing their subjective, personal opinion about something they truly enjoy (and, in doing so, not harming you whatsoever) while feeling "responsible" to do nearly the exact same thing by criticizing them. As annoying as you find those people, I'm sure if you stepped back and actually analyzed YOURSELF, you'd realize just how much more annoying it is when someone like you attempts to stand on some soapbox while spouting false "facts" constantly while trying to defend a moot point.

The only portion of your ENTIRE post that addressed the topic at hand is the single line:
"If people are giving a clear view of anime they have seen, they would state that. But they fail to do that, so they are opening themselves up for an attack.."

And that is quite flawed. Apply some basic critically thinking here, please. Of course they are only referring to anime they've seen. Do you think anyone who has ever made a list of favorite things is so omniscient that they've experienced every aspect of every piece of that media?

I have a favorite novel, film, play, anime, "cartoon", TV show... I even have a favorite toothpaste. That doesn't mean I am proclaiming it to be better than the rest. It means it is my favorite.

Only completely deluded individuals would claim that their personal favorites are the best in existence without having experienced what else there is out there, and only a completely deluded individual would be so upset by the aforementioned people.

Take a step back and weigh what really matters in life. If this really bothers you, at least address it on a level that makes some degree of sense. Apply some critical thinking, step back, and try again. You're coming off as half-cocked and relying on (extremely irrelevant) falsehoods to make your nonsensical points.


They are not saying "MY FAVOITE" they are saying "TOP [#] ANIME". If they add "My Top [#] favorite anime" then that is fine. But most of jackasses I have seen on YouTube and on blogs don't do that. You can say there is no difference, but you'd be full of shit. A "Top" list is facts(often supported by votes). Like "Top 10 highest selling albums in Japan", or "Top 5 most popular anime of 2011" or even "top 100 cutest anime characters" and since they used the "TOP [#]" whatever, I am going to take it that they mean of all time and not in their opinion. Get over it.

My stats are not out of date and as I said/suggested, unless you can find more updated stats, the STATS will stand. You can play ignorant until your face turns blue. Couldn't care less. You are truly stupid aren't you? No matter what FACTS I give, you will maintain an ignorant stance. Do you sit at the computer before you type and say "In order to maintain an untenable position, I have to be actively ignorant
Keep your facts, I'm going with the truth."? You do, don't cha? Anyway, as I said, there is a difference between "TOP" and "FAVORITE". Top is fact(if not made clear that it is just an opinion), Favorite is opinion. Based off what you have said, "TOP" is only opinion. In that case, the Billboard and Oricon is all opinion. Which is false.

You'd be surprised how many idiots there are who CLAIM to be anime fans. Like those who think's Ben 10, Code Lyoko, Teen Titans, Totally Spies, and Avatar are anime(which they are not). In closing, I will say the LAST person I would take seriously is someone who doesn't know shit about anime(you). I could take what you know about anime and shove it down an ants throat and it would rattle around like a BB in a Boxcar. That is not a FACT, that is an observation. Point...counter-point...done.

88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/11

Otaku2012 wrote:

Last time I checked, Gunslinger girl was not a hit anime in Japan. All Gunslinger had was 2 season and an OVA. HIT anime include Angel Beats, The Clannad Series, and Neon Genesis Evangelion(just to name a few). US Licencing companies have had a history of releasing shitty anime, because they think it will gain notoriety in the US. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. But now I will make a new forum topic.... I just got the inspiration.


Actually, the first season of Gunslinger Girl was a hit in Japan, the three DVD volumes sold 32,047, 25,131 and 21,903 copies respectively, which is more than Angel Beats and Clannad (albeit they were bundled with a game, which would make the actual sales much lower but still very good). The second season not so much...




The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 11/26/11

Otaku2012 wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:



Then you are blinded by something. There are many many many GREAT anime that are not dubbed. I know there are many anime that are great that are dubbed to, but if it was marketing issue then crappy unpopular anime like Gunslinger Girl, Ai Mai Mi ! Strawberry Egg, and Gunslinger Girls would have never reached the US shores.
You must really dislike Gunslinger Girl, since you listed it twice.

Your claim of "unpopular" seems to be discounted by the fact that Funimation apparently saw enough sales from the first series that they turned around and licensed both the OVAs and the second series. A company typically does not do that with "unpopular" series.


Last i checked, FUNimation doesn't release anime in Japan. When I said popular, it should have been obvious I was talking about in Japan. Note when I said, "WOULD HAVE NEVER REACHED US SHORES". That should have been a clue. Last time I checked, Gunslinger girl was not a hit anime in Japan.

The point is that even in Japan, anime typically don't get a second series unless the first one was a financial success, which strongly implies popularity. That logical conclusion aside, the DVD sales numbers llamaben provided make it clear you were wrong about the series being unpopular, and that stands regardless of whether you meant in Japan or the United States.
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chesapeake, VA
Offline
Posted 11/26/11 , edited 11/26/11

llamaben wrote:

Actually, the first season of Gunslinger Girl was a hit in Japan, the three DVD volumes sold 32,047, 25,131 and 21,903 copies respectively, which is more than Angel Beats and Clannad (albeit they were bundled with a game, which would make the actual sales much lower but still very good). The second season not so much...




I would absolutely LOVE to see those stats my friend. Because from what I understand all the Bluray Disk were in the top 3 on the Oricon charts(Source: Anime News Network). Now be it, the DVD's did less as good. But the series all together did extremely well. MBS(Japan) recorded a record breaking 4.9% rating for an anime broadcast during the late-night "Anime Shower" timeslot in the past three years(http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/260/260557/). The 14th Japan Media Arts Festival in 2010 recommended the anime as well(http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/festival/2010/recommend/animation.php). Don't let me get on how well the music did. Now I have looked on ANN and Google for anything about gunslinger girl that shows it's sells records or awards or whatever. I got nothing and at the 25th link, gave up.



TheAncientOne wrote:

The point is that even in Japan, anime typically don't get a second series unless the first one was a financial success, which strongly implies popularity. That logical conclusion aside, the DVD sales numbers llamaben provided make it clear you were wrong about the series being unpopular, and that stands regardless of whether you meant in Japan or the United States.


And you know this because you work at Oricon and in the anime industry? All you are doing is saying they are popular. You really don't have the numbers on the anime at all. Now I know you will say the same to me, but since I see no records, no, top 5's, nothing that shows that Gunslinger girl was a smash hit or popular in Japan. So with that, I said what I said and until the numbers show otherwise, I will stand by it(because I am not just going to take some strangers word for anything) ☆彡 The more you know!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.