First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Playstation Vita Memory Card Prices.
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 12/2/11 , edited 12/2/11

Preyar wrote:


Aero-Mach wrote:


Preyar wrote:

Because a memory card is smart.
Bringing up the past I see. You obviously lost hundreds of dollars..... Try to overreact a little more you whiny kid. They even gave us free games as an apology. Stop being an ungrateful bitch.


Have fun with your 3 updates in a roll, each taking 40 minutes.

Followed by a 2-Day long maintenance mode.

Followed by a 2 Month long down time.

Followed by a second hack on downtime for a week.

Yep, sure sounds great in Sony's closet.

EDIT:

It's not actually free when you lose 2 Months on PSN and you already own all those miserable games that are 7$ at Gamestop.




At least Apple products has a low maintenence to cover the costs but for Sony, they make crappy products and sell it higher than Apple's products. Even a Vaio is much more expensive than a Macbook Pro with a same specs.
39484 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Pluto
Offline
Posted 12/2/11
what if the speed of their memory sticks matched up to their price?
55058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 12/2/11
haha its always funny how they get u with the whole memory card thing though I don't think I'll be getting a vita anytime soon I'm happy with my psp for now since there really isn't any games out for the vita that interest me at the moment.
Posted 12/2/11

darament wrote:

Rationalizing the price and comparing it to other things is the exact same thing the people who are complaining about it being too expensive are doing. the only difference is they use numbers to say something is too expensive. Where as I used the numbers to prove that they aren't really as outlandishly priced as people say they are. The fact is that if you want something and the price is set you can either buy it or not. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad. The problem with SD cards and the such is that there are so many different types out there and they have such different speeds that if you go and buy some cheap SD card for $10 it's the bottom of the quality line and won't offer all the things that you expect from something more expensive.

IF the cards are say class 6 cards or class 10 equivelent then the prices of the memory sticks would be worth the price because a comparable sd card with that rating would be the same price. But people are complaining just about the price and expect to get some high performance memory card for the price of a cheap one. Just because you can buy something for a certain price doens't mean that it's as good as one that costs considerably more. Anyone who has used a digital SLR camera would say the same thing. If you want to do everything that all the new cameras do then you have to spend $1000 or more for the camera and then a couple hundred more for a memory stick in order to get full use out of the product.

Unfortunately none of the pictures of the sony vita cards show their read write speed and the only information people are going off of is the size of the memory for the price.


As for the using of existing cards if it's just as easy to use one vs the other then using their own design makes of no concequence. With every console out there using their own type of media it seems funny to me that people are compaining about how this new one uses one thats designed just for it.


It's because its too expensive.

No one minds that it's proprietary, 120$ for 32 GB is outrageous, and SD, XD, USB Sticks are all cheaper, and yes it's because of competin with other memory and manufacters, Sony keeps trying to introduce it's own media time and time again but no ones biting because the price is ridiculous, the iPhone has internal memory, the Vita comes without anything,

Even the firmware is on the internal memory, and it doesn't really help whenever Sony releases daily firmware updates sure to eat up a lot of space, if the price was reasonable, I'm sure no one would mind Sony's outrageous prices.


It's 2012 and you're paying for a gaming device with no flash memory, that's 250$ sitting there until you cough up another 120$ for a memory card, which will everything for mandatory patches, to Sony's own firmware updates.

The Gamecube has proprietary memory(Well Gecko anyway, no one really uses it).

And the memory cards weren't priced like that at all.

And it makes sense for the iPhone to cost more(At all) as it uses Flash Memory(AKA Solid State drive) that will probably stay more reliable then what Sony could produce.
43209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Dallas
Offline
Posted 12/2/11
Either way i'll get a vita at lunch.
Posted 12/2/11

loki_16 wrote:

Either way i'll get a vita at lunch.


It'll cost you a shit ton,

If you don't mind that.

Then by all means by as many as you want, maybe if enough people buy them, the price will go down.
64245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Seattle Wa
Offline
Posted 12/3/11 , edited 12/3/11

Aero-Mach wrote:


darament wrote:

Rationalizing the price and comparing it to other things is the exact same thing the people who are complaining about it being too expensive are doing. the only difference is they use numbers to say something is too expensive. Where as I used the numbers to prove that they aren't really as outlandishly priced as people say they are. The fact is that if you want something and the price is set you can either buy it or not. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad. The problem with SD cards and the such is that there are so many different types out there and they have such different speeds that if you go and buy some cheap SD card for $10 it's the bottom of the quality line and won't offer all the things that you expect from something more expensive.

IF the cards are say class 6 cards or class 10 equivelent then the prices of the memory sticks would be worth the price because a comparable sd card with that rating would be the same price. But people are complaining just about the price and expect to get some high performance memory card for the price of a cheap one. Just because you can buy something for a certain price doens't mean that it's as good as one that costs considerably more. Anyone who has used a digital SLR camera would say the same thing. If you want to do everything that all the new cameras do then you have to spend $1000 or more for the camera and then a couple hundred more for a memory stick in order to get full use out of the product.

Unfortunately none of the pictures of the sony vita cards show their read write speed and the only information people are going off of is the size of the memory for the price.


As for the using of existing cards if it's just as easy to use one vs the other then using their own design makes of no concequence. With every console out there using their own type of media it seems funny to me that people are compaining about how this new one uses one thats designed just for it.


It's because its too expensive.

No one minds that it's proprietary, 120$ for 32 GB is outrageous, and SD, XD, USB Sticks are all cheaper, and yes it's because of competin with other memory and manufacters, Sony keeps trying to introduce it's own media time and time again but no ones biting because the price is ridiculous, the iPhone has internal memory, the Vita comes without anything,

Even the firmware is on the internal memory, and it doesn't really help whenever Sony releases daily firmware updates sure to eat up a lot of space, if the price was reasonable, I'm sure no one would mind Sony's outrageous prices.


It's 2012 and you're paying for a gaming device with no flash memory, that's 250$ sitting there until you cough up another 120$ for a memory card, which will everything for mandatory patches, to Sony's own firmware updates.

The Gamecube has proprietary memory(Well Gecko anyway, no one really uses it).

And the memory cards weren't priced like that at all.

And it makes sense for the iPhone to cost more(At all) as it uses Flash Memory(AKA Solid State drive) that will probably stay more reliable then what Sony could produce.


so should a company give you something for free because the device requires it? Since the Vita requires games to play games they should just give all their games away for free as well since they aren't out to make money. They are releasing something and decided that it isn't worth their money to give you something extra for free. The device is designed in such a way that you can't use the memory cards without using the program that is required for the memoy cards. In order to try to prevent people from using their own homebrew software and making the device an open platform which failed miserably with the PS3. If you don't give people the option of using whatever software you want on a gaming device then people don't have a reason to hack your network because you took the option away.
Whether sony patched their security holes prior to getting hacked is irrelevent because regardless of what era you go back to people have always tried to get past someones defenses

When the hammer was used in war then armor was invented then the sword then heavier armor then castles then siege machines then thicker castle walls then bombs. WIth the modern day and age it's virus then virus protection then another virus and then more virus protection. Regardless of what sony would have done the hacker group anonymous would have hacked their servers and would have gotten the same information because the people who are on the attack have the advantage. When you are on the defensive then all you can do is wait until someone finds a hole and attacks you. If a hacker group were to hack PSN again because they were upset at sony then PSN would go down because the hackers would find a hole in their security.

If a company decides it wants to make a product that only uses parts that can only be purchased from them then they have the right to do that. Open platform technology is there so people can use whatever they want. If like sony and apple they want to use a closed platform then they are entitled to it. If the only option is to buy the device and then buy a memory card to go with it then you can either buy it or not. By not including a memory card it allows customers who want the 32gig card to not have a 4 gig card laying around that they will never use. If a person only wanted a 16 gig card they wouldn't have a 4 gig card laying around either. Whenever a company includes a memory card in a camera it's always extremely small and usually gets replaced with a bigger one during the point of purchasing the camera or pretty close to that time frame.

The amazing thing about the Sony Vita memory is that if you don't have a Sony Vita you don't have to buy the stuff. I mean holy crap that is so awesome. Go figure that there is this amazing second option for the memory. I mean hey I should be nominated for a nobel peace prize because I found this awesome way of circumventing Sonys grand scheme to make people have to buy Vita Memory. I must be a super genius or something. Maybe I should go tell history channel that and get my own show. Who could have ever thought of something so amazing and obscure as to not buying the device that requires the memory. Everyone else must be retarded because they spend all their time bitching about how expensive the Sony Vita memory is going to be and are complaining about how if you buy a Sony Vita you will need the memory. I'm going to go call the Nobel Prize committee and MSNBC and Fox news and tell them this amazing thing. No shit you don't need to spend the money on the memory if you don't buy the Vita, that is just mind blowing information right there.
69987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 12/3/11 , edited 12/3/11
Jumping to a lot of conclusions aren't we? No one was asking for free memory cards, even though having 512 mb to the device wouldn't hurt.

As for computer viruses. Sony's way of handling this is similar to virus writers making an antivirus program to sell to the people who was infected with their virus to begin with. Blacksmiths didn't charge double for armor because it was the answer to the sword. First create a situation that costs money next release the solution for more money it's not as if both the sword and armor were both made by the blacksmith, oh wait they were! It was a medieval arms race selling to all sides.

The Vita can be hacked via their memory card if the Vita is internet capable and is downloaded to said memory card then executed. Point defeated in one sentence, how about that?

Of course their entitled to it they want to, it's the American way to make things and sell 'em for profit. Of course if the cards were not dependent on one device it would probably fail on its own just like the Betamax and ten others according to http://www.11points.com/Web-Tech/11_Famous_Sony_Products,_Ranked_From_Worst_Failure_to_Biggest_Success. OK, since we're talking about Sony handheld devices; how about the PSP's UMD? Everything I need to say about that is already in the provided URL. It's clear that Sony has tried to make proprietary products before and have failed (miserably) many times. If this were all about profit then where's all that money they made on making failed products? Much less that spent on R&D to make an alternative to what's already available; some not already available but that's not the point.

As to the last point. No shit we don't have to buy it. This is a forum about the memory card prices and we are discussing exactly that. "Amazing second option for memory", really? What's so amazing about it except for it's price? Are there any performance stats out there or benchmarks against SD Cards? What makes this so much more expensive than something already out there? Solid state hard drives use a lot of the same memory used in the smaller cards in series to make the full capacity of the SSD. I have never heard of memory cards themselves referred to as solid state until I followed this thread.

Lastly, your story will never make it past the Sci-fi channel at 3:00 AM. Anything beyond what you've already said in the last paragraph will be considered trolling.



I'm not a Sony hater, but there are just things that don't make sense not matter how (ahem) some people try to spin it. The Sony Playstation was originally going to be an add-on for the Super Nintendo back in the day similar to the Sega CD. Sega had CD tech, Nintendo didn't and since Sony is a patent holder of CD technology Nintendo tried to get in bed with Sony to make it happen, but it didn't work out and soon later appeared the Playstation we all know today.

Everything Nintendo goes through Japan first so here it is with the Super Famicom.
Posted 12/3/11
People like to bitch about everything these days. I remember times when loads of my SNES games cost over $100 local money, ah parents must've felt bad back then heh
69987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 12/3/11
Video games didn't happen in my family unless you can pay for them yourself, and generally I couldn't. Most of my collection included Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, where games had built in memory. (had to throw that in there to somewhat stay on topic)
36277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 12/3/11
The prices of the memory sticks is outragous, especially since any hardcore gamer who will be getting the Vita knows that the 32gb is the only real option to buy. Sony claims it's for increased security and reliability so every gamer has the exact same experience. That doesn't excuse the prices though. I'd say if they lowered the price by 25-30 percent, I'd be happy (so it'd be closer to $3 per gig than the current $4 per gig). I still plan on getting a Vita on launch day, but now I'm not sure what to do about other items. I was planning on spending about $400, for the Vita, 2 games, and a mem stick, now, that 400 doesn't even cover a game... so... yeah, not sure now.
69987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 12/3/11
With that said now the true logistics of what this thread is really about. As RayearthIX just mentioned $400 for the system and one memory stick, and don't fool yourself into believing you can get by with one of the smaller cards. With a game it'll cost as much as my PS3 (20 gigs) to an upgraded 160 gig hard drive. At least I can watch Blu-Ray and use it as a media server.

Just asking because I didn't bother to look up the Vita. What can you do with it if you're not a gamer? I wouldn't play videos as I have a laptop with a larger screen so there must be a use without a game.
Posted 12/3/11

darament wrote:


Aero-Mach wrote:


darament wrote:

Rationalizing the price and comparing it to other things is the exact same thing the people who are complaining about it being too expensive are doing. the only difference is they use numbers to say something is too expensive. Where as I used the numbers to prove that they aren't really as outlandishly priced as people say they are. The fact is that if you want something and the price is set you can either buy it or not. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad. The problem with SD cards and the such is that there are so many different types out there and they have such different speeds that if you go and buy some cheap SD card for $10 it's the bottom of the quality line and won't offer all the things that you expect from something more expensive.

IF the cards are say class 6 cards or class 10 equivelent then the prices of the memory sticks would be worth the price because a comparable sd card with that rating would be the same price. But people are complaining just about the price and expect to get some high performance memory card for the price of a cheap one. Just because you can buy something for a certain price doens't mean that it's as good as one that costs considerably more. Anyone who has used a digital SLR camera would say the same thing. If you want to do everything that all the new cameras do then you have to spend $1000 or more for the camera and then a couple hundred more for a memory stick in order to get full use out of the product.

Unfortunately none of the pictures of the sony vita cards show their read write speed and the only information people are going off of is the size of the memory for the price.


As for the using of existing cards if it's just as easy to use one vs the other then using their own design makes of no concequence. With every console out there using their own type of media it seems funny to me that people are compaining about how this new one uses one thats designed just for it.


It's because its too expensive.

No one minds that it's proprietary, 120$ for 32 GB is outrageous, and SD, XD, USB Sticks are all cheaper, and yes it's because of competin with other memory and manufacters, Sony keeps trying to introduce it's own media time and time again but no ones biting because the price is ridiculous, the iPhone has internal memory, the Vita comes without anything,

Even the firmware is on the internal memory, and it doesn't really help whenever Sony releases daily firmware updates sure to eat up a lot of space, if the price was reasonable, I'm sure no one would mind Sony's outrageous prices.


It's 2012 and you're paying for a gaming device with no flash memory, that's 250$ sitting there until you cough up another 120$ for a memory card, which will everything for mandatory patches, to Sony's own firmware updates.

The Gamecube has proprietary memory(Well Gecko anyway, no one really uses it).

And the memory cards weren't priced like that at all.

And it makes sense for the iPhone to cost more(At all) as it uses Flash Memory(AKA Solid State drive) that will probably stay more reliable then what Sony could produce.


so should a company give you something for free because the device requires it? Since the Vita requires games to play games they should just give all their games away for free as well since they aren't out to make money. They are releasing something and decided that it isn't worth their money to give you something extra for free. The device is designed in such a way that you can't use the memory cards without using the program that is required for the memoy cards. In order to try to prevent people from using their own homebrew software and making the device an open platform which failed miserably with the PS3. If you don't give people the option of using whatever software you want on a gaming device then people don't have a reason to hack your network because you took the option away.
Whether sony patched their security holes prior to getting hacked is irrelevent because regardless of what era you go back to people have always tried to get past someones defenses

When the hammer was used in war then armor was invented then the sword then heavier armor then castles then siege machines then thicker castle walls then bombs. WIth the modern day and age it's virus then virus protection then another virus and then more virus protection. Regardless of what sony would have done the hacker group anonymous would have hacked their servers and would have gotten the same information because the people who are on the attack have the advantage. When you are on the defensive then all you can do is wait until someone finds a hole and attacks you. If a hacker group were to hack PSN again because they were upset at sony then PSN would go down because the hackers would find a hole in their security.

If a company decides it wants to make a product that only uses parts that can only be purchased from them then they have the right to do that. Open platform technology is there so people can use whatever they want. If like sony and apple they want to use a closed platform then they are entitled to it. If the only option is to buy the device and then buy a memory card to go with it then you can either buy it or not. By not including a memory card it allows customers who want the 32gig card to not have a 4 gig card laying around that they will never use. If a person only wanted a 16 gig card they wouldn't have a 4 gig card laying around either. Whenever a company includes a memory card in a camera it's always extremely small and usually gets replaced with a bigger one during the point of purchasing the camera or pretty close to that time frame.

The amazing thing about the Sony Vita memory is that if you don't have a Sony Vita you don't have to buy the stuff. I mean holy crap that is so awesome. Go figure that there is this amazing second option for the memory. I mean hey I should be nominated for a nobel peace prize because I found this awesome way of circumventing Sonys grand scheme to make people have to buy Vita Memory. I must be a super genius or something. Maybe I should go tell history channel that and get my own show. Who could have ever thought of something so amazing and obscure as to not buying the device that requires the memory. Everyone else must be retarded because they spend all their time bitching about how expensive the Sony Vita memory is going to be and are complaining about how if you buy a Sony Vita you will need the memory. I'm going to go call the Nobel Prize committee and MSNBC and Fox news and tell them this amazing thing. No shit you don't need to spend the money on the memory if you don't buy the Vita, that is just mind blowing information right there.



First off, as I said before.

Nobody cares about proprietary memory cards, that's not the issue, nobody gives a damn about proprietary, it's the cost that's a big problem.

Second, You said it yourself, whenever you buy a camera, it comes with memory, 2GB and 4GB is actually quite a lot for a stand alone camera, movies are 512 MB a lot of the time. For just pictures and video, 2GB isn't small, neither is 4GB or 32GB(FYI which is supposed to be around 30$ at most).

Third, It doesn't allow people to want a bigger card to not small card, as you said with the camera analogy, it gets replaced with a bigger card if need be, and 100,000 people wouldn't be dismissing the vita if it came with a card.


Fourth, it's just the consumer being nice, buying SONY's pile of crap every now and then, I already said PlayStation Brand is dead pretty much, at least in North America, but if the don't want money, that's perfectly fine.


so should a company give you something for free because the device requires it?


No fucking shit shirlock.

When is the last time the 360 came without a mandatory harddrive? And if it didn't(Arcades case) it came with a MEMORY CARD! A Mandatory memory card.

When is the last time Wii came with no Wii Remote and Nun Chuck? And no batteries....

Did the 3DS come with a charger?

Did PS3(Surprisingly) come with a controller?


To all these questions..... YES.

All MANDATORY parts to a console(OR handheld) should come with them,



According to you.

They should ship game console with no cables, no controllers and no batteries.

We should buy a raw system and purchase all the parts later. Like Sony is doing.

35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 12/3/11
64245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Seattle Wa
Offline
Posted 12/3/11 , edited 12/3/11


Technically the memory card isn't mandatory. You are free to play games on the vita that don't require one. Some of the games will save on their own cartridges. As for updating the vita there has to be a storage drive on there to hold the vitas OS because you can't just buy a bunch of cards and have the os on the card. The device will work without the memory card. The main reason i've read for using the memory sticks is so that you can use old games or games that you buy on the PSN and downloaded.

So the memory stick isn't mandatory because the vita will work without it. Thus Sony doesn't feel obligated to include it. When febuary rolls around or whenever sony releases specs on their memory then you can judge if it's overpriced or not. If it's slower than memory thats half it's price then yes it is overpriced but if it's faster than the comparably priced memory then thats just the cost you have to pay.
WIthout even knowing the speed of the memory people assume it is just as easily replaced by cheap memory. Honestly I hope thats not the case but who knows it could be.

You can buy cheap SD memory and yes if sony decided to they would have included a sd port for it. But that doesn't make sony money so they didn't. Just because you say you don't care that it's propriotary doesn't change the fact that it is. The price of it is high because it's propriotary and you can only buy it from them. The price on SD memory is significantly lower because everyone and their cousin can go out and make it if they really wanted to. You could probably go to an am/pm or whatever gas station is next to your house and pick up a SD memory card from there.

Since I oviously don't care about the price i'm happy wasting time on these forums. If you really cared and wanted to do something maybe you should take a swing over to the Playstation Vita thread and express your dislike of the prices there

http://community.us.playstation.com/community/consoles/psvita



@NoBreyner your link was one of the things I was trying to look for. A list of sony failures/accomplishments. The list does include more successes than failures if you read through it. So while they have had failures in the past they have also succeeded. While the list isn't comprehensive it probably doens't include all of sonys failures just the big ones.
Solid state is a type of device that includes SSD drives Microprocessors dram and Flash drives. It is basically a generic term to describe electronics that have no moving parts.

One of the posts from the PSN Vita thread made the analogy
http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36465444


IxIRuckusIxI wrote:


You would sell a customer a car and expect him to pay for the door locks to keep people from stealing the vehicle.
I like that .


Thats silly when you put it that way but its true. People who dont hack are suffering for the few who do. But the fact of the matter is that sony just doesnt get it. Hacking is going to happen anyway, theyre just making the process more difficult. Going back to your point, you are forced to pay for the locks, you buy them, then they steal the car by breaking through the window. It still happens, yet the process is a little more difficult but people always find a way around it.




All they are doing is making it a little harder for the average person to steal their car. The theory is just that if they include some extra security measure (with a hefty price tag) they are able to make it a little harder for everyone to do it. Ultimately just about everything that anyone wants to be hacked can be hacked. You can still jailbreak an iphone even though apple has continually trys to prevent it. chances are the PS Vita will be hacked within the first week of launch, if not the first day. So the big question would be why even bother with trying to "protect" your product in the first place.

As I said in an earlier post as well we don't know the speed of the memory which for most companies is a big deal in setting their price. Chances are the memory isn't going to be as good as SD memory but my main point is that we don't know what the specs are on it. all we know is the size and the price. if in the unlikely chance it's just super awesome and has write speeds at like 250MB/s then $119 for 32 gigs is going to be cheap in comparison to the equivelent specced sd card

Just for clarifaction my previous post was at like 3 am or something like that and more than half of it was part trolling because I was bored and wasn't able to get to sleep for over 5 hours prior to it
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.