First  Prev  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  Next  Last
Does the military interest you?
22143 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Indianapolis, Ind...
Offline
Posted 12/10/12



Thank you for your service. But retired at 25? Do you mean you served your contract and got out? Retirement usually requires 20+ years of service in the US military.

To answer the OPs question, yes it did interest me early in my career. The structure and long term benefits are really good. If you can serve 20+ years you'll get benefits for life. Depending on what you do in the military, it can be a straight line to a Federal job after you retire from service. Even if you serve a shorter term there are still benefits as well including funding for college and job placement assistance.

I have multiple family members in the military including my father and brother. Had I not found my career path in college I would have considered going to Officers school after completing my Undergrad. The main issue for me regarding the military was the travel. While I love traveling, I'd rather do it on a leisurely basis and not for work. Plus growing up as a military brat, I don't think I'd want my family to have to travel as much and not see me for long periods of time.

The military, like any career path is what you make of it. I know people who joined but were still lost once they served out their contract and got out. It's no different than people who graduate college with a competitive degree that makes it hard for them to find a good job.


My bad man, didn't mean to mislead. I meant i already served out my contract.
22086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 12/10/12

My bad man, didn't mean to mislead. I meant i already served out my contract.

No worries. I was speaking more from stuff I learned from my family and limited personal experience so just wanted to clarify.
14358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M / The academy
Offline
Posted 12/10/12
Well personally my dad is in the military and as a personal view I think the system is a little cold and can be misused easily but I do like the travel but as I said for me the military is too cold..... Ironic I know the person with no heart says the military is cold
4603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / LV.
Offline
Posted 12/10/12
I was actually very interested in joining the military. My father was in the Navy and only just retired this year. Since I've been a Navy brat of sorts, I got used to traveling every 3 years and I kind of miss it! My dad doesn't want me to join though. It's obviously my decision, but I promised him I'll do at least 1 year of college before deciding if I still want to join.

Who knows, I might still join.
24156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 12/10/12
Proudly served 8 years in US Navy.
26029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 12/10/12
was in the marines for 5 years i had some of the best timers of my life and some of the worst times of my life its not for everyone but if u do it make usr eot give it ur all cause its isnt a job its really more of a way of life once u get use t o it
toxxin 
36055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / In my own little...
Offline
Posted 12/11/12
I appreciate and respect what our military does for its citizens and will never forget the sacrifices made on my behalf. *salute* I however have no real interest in joining the military, my future lies in a laboratory somewhere.
20084 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Florida, US
Offline
Posted 12/11/12
i'm considering becoming a military pharmacist.

i still need some more insight though.
22086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / California, USA
Offline
Posted 12/11/12 , edited 12/11/12

rotisserie wrote:

i'm considering becoming a military pharmacist.

i still need some more insight though.

Depends on how old you are and how far along you are in obtaining your Pharmacy degree. If you're just starting the military can help you with finishing your Undergraduate degree and going into Med School. This obviously comes at a cost in the form of signing a contract to serve. You can also just finish Med School and sign up for their postgraduate programs. It really depends on your financial situation and level of immediate commitment you're willing to make toward joining the military.
668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/11/12
I thought about joining the Navy once a few years ago, but I decided that it wasn't for me. My goals lie elsewhere for now.
Posted 12/11/12
No, not interest at all.
9974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / San Diego, USA
Offline
Posted 12/11/12 , edited 12/11/12
I was in your shoes a year and a half ago when I was deciding what to do with myself once highschool was over. I knew I could go to college but I also knew that that wouldn't guarantee me a good job and there was a big chance I could be left with a piece of paper and hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt.

I said fuck that, I deserve a better option.

So I looked into the military and what I could do while I was in and I found out that I could take college courses, get a degree, and pretty much not have to pay a cent for any of it. With being in the Navy there also a huge load of perks that come with it whether you want em or not. Like seeing the world for example. I called BS until I did it. Now I'm a believer. XD

You get specialized training in a specific field of expertise. I choose electrician because I can use my training in the civilian world once my enlistment is up. Freakin free school. Scratch that, we get paid 24/7. Paid to go to school. FIND ME COMPETITION TO THAT XD

tl;dr fuck college, join the Navy and get paid to go to school ^^
Gextiv 
50302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 12/11/12

LOSazimuth wrote:

I was in your shoes a year and a half ago when I was deciding what to do with myself once highschool was over. I knew I could go to college but I also knew that that wouldn't guarantee me a good job and there was a big chance I could be left with a piece of paper and hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt.

I said fuck that, I deserve a better option.

So I looked into the military and what I could do while I was in and I found out that I could take college courses, get a degree, and pretty much not have to pay a cent for any of it. With being in the Navy there also a huge load of perks that come with it whether you want em or not. Like seeing the world for example. I called BS until I did it. Now I'm a believer. XD

You get specialized training in a specific field of expertise. I choose electrician because I can use my training in the civilian world once my enlistment is up. Freakin free school. Scratch that, we get paid 24/7. Paid to go to school. FIND ME COMPETITION TO THAT XD

tl;dr fuck college, join the Navy and get paid to go to school ^^


The smartest choice you made was joining the NAVY.


Unless.. BATTLESHIP somehow happens.


Join the Army.. your pretty much playing Russian Roulette with your life.
325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 12/11/12
I was going to join after I graduated high school. After I went to the Marine Core recruiting office, I told my mom and she flip out on me. Soo ya, that was the end of that idea haha.
20084 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Florida, US
Offline
Posted 12/11/12

InitialFS wrote:


rotisserie wrote:

i'm considering becoming a military pharmacist.

i still need some more insight though.

Depends on how old you are and how far along you are in obtaining your Pharmacy degree. If you're just starting the military can help you with finishing your Undergraduate degree and going into Med School. This obviously comes at a cost in the form of signing a contract to serve. You can also just finish Med School and sign up for their postgraduate programs. It really depends on your financial situation and level of immediate commitment you're willing to make toward joining the military.


i appreciate the info. i'm in my last year of pharmacy school; i graduate next year & will take the boards during the summer. retail is sorta my default option but i've heard about great incentives from a couple sources, like loan repayment & pension. i'd love to travel around various parts of the world, maybe even assisting in humanitarian mission assignments w/ medical teams. i'm still researching which branch may be more ideal for me... there seems to be a slight preference for the air force on some forums, but i'm remaining open-minded. are you familiar with some of the benefits/drawbacks within each branch? thanks for the help.

First  Prev  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.