First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Evolution of a product.
Posted 12/23/11 , edited 12/24/11
As many of you know, I know a lot about electronics and computer science and engineering as a whole, I'm a programmer, and soon to be computer engineer and I wanna let you know of the...

Evolution of a product

Note, this could bore the CRAP outta you! So if you don't like technology or don't care to know about it, BEAT IT DUDE!

Legend of the Personal Computer:

The Personal Computer is arguably one of the most used devices in history, these things were high in price and not very useful, there was no YouTube, Deviantart or(Gasp!) porn to look at on the internet that wasn't public yet, programming these things in C and Machine Language was a nightmare, everyone usually came home sick from work, not being able to stomach anymore 1's or 0's.

The first public computer


Now of course you don't actually wanna use this computer, but at this time, companies were taking baby steps,

That "PC" is called the Simon, Edmund Berkeley described as machine that could think, or word for word...


"Giant Brains, or Machines That Think"


As you can see, no keyboard, muse or screen is present, but those wouldn't be popular until MUUCCCHHH later.

Mice and and cursor controlled GUI wouldn't become used much until 10 years after the Xerox Alto, probably one of the most innovative PC designs of all time, it also sported the first Object Oriented OS, but it was a shame it was never made public.



Before we move on, it's important to know that the first personal computer with GUI available to public was the Apple Lisa released in 1983, later the Macintosh and then Windows based PCs.

Birth of a Tablet

When you think of tablets, you think of iPads and.....well iPads, there's many capacitive touch screens available today, before we got capacitive, we has resistive touch screens, the ones where your fingers didn't do the job, so you got a sloppy stylus to make up for.

Now it may seem like tablet computers just started, but they been here a long while.



Apple Newton next to the Apple iPhone....

The reason why you haven't had tablets before is because they had a niche market, hospitals and labs.

That's it.....

They were heavy, ugly and the recognition was bad, and a stylus on a calculator-looking screen was always unappealing, even back in 1993.

In 2010, this device.



Brought tablets right to their rightful place, alongside our phones and PCs, Apple(For some reason) decided to make successor to the long forgotten Newton, that device today is the one above, the Original iPad.

It's important to note that you may have gotten tablets and Personal Digital Assistants mixed up, PDAs are not tablets.

Shopping for Accessories

There was accessories before you had white plastic on your dresser for Wii attachments.

Believe it or not, the very keyboard you type on in an accessory.



This is mandatory just like your mouse....not mandatory but VERY necessary! The guy who built this useful design deserves some credit!

Even though Apple made it first.......got ya' didn't I?

Sholes Glidden is the man responsible for our devices bestfriends, at what point in time do you NOT type with a qwerty keyboard? It's been around for awhile now and it's likely never to go away, "Qwerty" is spelled on every qwerty keyboard.

The mouse was first used on the Xerox,


In 1964, the first prototype computer mouse was made to use with a graphical user interface (GUI), 'windows'. Engelbart received a patent for the wooden shell with two metal wheels (computer mouse U.S. Patent # 3,541,541) in 1970, describing it in the patent application as an "X-Y position indicator for a display system." "It was nicknamed the mouse because the tail came out the end," Engelbart revealed about his invention. His version of windows was not considered patentable (no software patents were issued at that time), but Douglas Engelbart has over 45 other patents to his name.


The computer used for this prototype in 1964(WOW! Fantastic!) was never really known. not even today, this computer had GUI(Graphical User Interface) in 1964, amazing feat, but it's hard to find quite what it looks like. (AO?)

Here's what it looked like.





As you can see, it's not the most beautiful piece of equipment we ever used, this idea was turned into the mouse used for Xerox, and presumably, a much prettier GUI, the Xerox inspired the Macintosh, which inspired the Windows based machines, which is shaping Google new OS.

Rising Consoles

When you think of video games today, you think of Halo, Sonic and Mario, some of the most critically acclaimed franchises who appeared in the Walk of Game.

Before you found goose-bump secrets in Halo: Combat Evolved, before you discovered the warp pipe in Super Mario Bros, and before you gathered all 6 emeralds in Sonic the Hedgehog,

There was computer games in the 1950's, to be more precise.... 1956, there was a game for computer(Not a PC) and was called. "Tennis for Two", it was network play over the internet, YEP! Online gaming started along with gaming, not on SNES and Genesis.

First Generation

Video game consoles go by generations.



This is the first Video Game console released to the public, it featured......nothing, it was called the Magnavox Odyssey released in 1972.

Second Generation



This added back the feature of cartridge swapping, Magnavox had dropped it, releasing consoles only playing Pong, Smash and...some other game nobody really wants to play... OKAY! It was called Hockey.

We need a Hero

The video game industry crashed.

Wikipedia -


In 1977, manufacturers of older, obsolete consoles sold their systems at a loss to clear stock, creating a glut in the market and causing Fairchild and RCA to abandon their game consoles. Only Atari and Magnavox stayed in the home console market, later dying as game console makers.


Fairchild, who made the Fairchild Video Entertainment System(VES) and RCA who made the RCA Studio II, abandoned the unprofitable consoles.

Rebirth of the Home Console

The VES, along with the Atari 2600, survived the crash and continued racing alongside each other in the market.


The VES continued to be sold at a profit after the 1977 crash, and both Bally (with their Home Library Computer in 1977) and Magnavox (with the Odyssey² in 1978) brought their own programmable cartridge-based consoles to the market. However, it was not until Atari released a conversion of the arcade hit Space Invaders in 1980 that the home console industry was completely revived. Many consumers bought an Atari just for Space Invaders. Space Invaders' unprecedented success started the trend of console manufacturers trying to get exclusive rights to arcade titles, and the trend of advertisements for game consoles claiming to bring the arcade experience home.

Throughout the early 1980s, other companies released video game consoles of their own. Many of the video game systems were technically superior to the Atari 2600, and marketed as improvements over the Atari 2600. However, Atari dominated the console market in the early 1980s.


Legend of Nintendo

The video game industry crashed again in 1983, I'll make this a game and let someone tell me(With evidence) why the video industry(as a whole) crashed in 1983, its so widespread everyone should know, the object for the downfall was put into landfills in Mexico.

NES came in and saved the day, with Super Mario Brothers of course.

Cellphones, PDAs, Towers, Notebooks, Netbooks, Mini tablets, CD Players, MP3/3, Multi Media Devices and Servers are ALL up next.

If you have any questions, post them, I'll be happy to answer.....if I know the answer.
50126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 12/23/11
Wow really interesting!!
Posted 12/23/11
Until the next massive meteor comes around.
114152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / in a world where...
Offline
Posted 12/23/11
thankfully computers didn't mimic gas prices
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 12/23/11 , edited 12/23/11
Nice write up. Good stuff. Jacob E. Goldman might be of interest to you since you like technology history.

- Xerox Lab Founder, Tech Innovator Jacob Goldman Dies
- http://mashable.com/2011/12/23/jacob-goldman-xerox-parc-founder-dies/


A physicist by training, Goldman was Xerox’s chief scientist in the late 1960s when he convinced the company to start a laboratory dedicated purely to scientific research.

The Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) was then founded in 1970 and went on to originate landmark technological breakthroughs including the first personal computer, object-oriented programming, the graphical user interface, the Ethernet network, laser printing, and the first commercial mouse.

In his biography of Steve Jobs, author Walter Isaacson recounts how the Apple co-founder marveled at PARC technology during a visit to the center in 1979. Jobs was blown away by the graphical interface, reportedly shouting, “You’re sitting on a gold mine. I can’t believe Xerox is not taking advantage of this.” The interface would become a key component of Apple’s Lisa and Macintosh products.


Posted 12/23/11

Hairbelly wrote:

Nice write up. Good stuff. Jacob E. Goldman might be of interest to you since you like technology history.

- Xerox Lab Founder, Tech Innovator Jacob Goldman Dies
- http://mashable.com/2011/12/23/jacob-goldman-xerox-parc-founder-dies/


A physicist by training, Goldman was Xerox’s chief scientist in the late 1960s when he convinced the company to start a laboratory dedicated purely to scientific research.

The Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) was then founded in 1970 and went on to originate landmark technological breakthroughs including the first personal computer, object-oriented programming, the graphical user interface, the Ethernet network, laser printing, and the first commercial mouse.

In his biography of Steve Jobs, author Walter Isaacson recounts how the Apple co-founder marveled at PARC technology during a visit to the center in 1979. Jobs was blown away by the graphical interface, reportedly shouting, “You’re sitting on a gold mine. I can’t believe Xerox is not taking advantage of this.” The interface would become a key component of Apple’s Lisa and Macintosh products.




I knew Apple Engineers got to visit Xerox to see their computer, which it heavily influenced the Macintosh.

But I never knew they had so much detail of the visit! Thanks!
66075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Second Star to th...
Offline
Posted 12/23/11
"When you think of tablets, you think of iPads and.....well iPads..." lolz that was funny. Anyway, that was interesting. I have a question. What exactly did the first public computer do?
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 12/23/11
Finally, a good post from you after talking Apple garbage. Oh yeah, you accidentally left out UNIX and its origin and current use.......
Posted 12/23/11

Kairidawn wrote:

"When you think of tablets, you think of iPads and.....well iPads..." lolz that was funny. Anyway, that was interesting. I have a question. What exactly did the first public computer do?


They actually didn't do too much, :P


addition, negation, greater than, and selection.


It handled numbers, and very basic math and calculations, it was pretty much a calculator that lacked modern functions.

It was only able to handle those above, ^^
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 12/23/11
Aero-Mach, what do you look like?
66075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Second Star to th...
Offline
Posted 12/23/11

Aero-Mach wrote:


Kairidawn wrote:

"When you think of tablets, you think of iPads and.....well iPads..." lolz that was funny. Anyway, that was interesting. I have a question. What exactly did the first public computer do?


They actually didn't do too much, :P


addition, negation, greater than, and selection.


It handled numbers, and very basic math and calculations, it was pretty much a calculator that lacked modern functions.

It was only able to handle those above, ^^


Well I guess it was pretty useful and convenient back then. ._. Well thanks for answering ^^
38183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / All the Good & Ba...
Offline
Posted 12/23/11
I thought it was going to talk more than the average computer and its chips & just other products in general =-=
Posted 12/24/11

KleinerSkollexxx wrote:

Aero-Mach, what do you look like?


I'm just a regular guy,
2000 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / in mah room
Offline
Posted 12/24/11 , edited 12/24/11
uh..... yeah....
storage devices then and now
Posted 12/24/11

Kairidawn wrote:


Aero-Mach wrote:


Kairidawn wrote:

"When you think of tablets, you think of iPads and.....well iPads..." lolz that was funny. Anyway, that was interesting. I have a question. What exactly did the first public computer do?


They actually didn't do too much, :P


addition, negation, greater than, and selection.


It handled numbers, and very basic math and calculations, it was pretty much a calculator that lacked modern functions.

It was only able to handle those above, ^^


Well I guess it was pretty useful and convenient back then. ._. Well thanks for answering ^^


Ya' think so? Maybe we should build a time machine and take an iPhone 4S back to that time period and see what happens! XD

Your welcome~
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.