First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
What do you do when your world is falling apart?
114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/31/12
Shit gonna happens, so stay positive and content. Life isn't fair but deal with it anyway.
Posted 3/31/12
i suck it up and move forward
27063 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Staten Island, NY...
Offline
Posted 3/31/12
Trudge through it. Grad school was rough.

This past semester (Fall 2011) was my last semester, and it was hard as hell. I was working a full time job I hated and dealing with a coworker who had a meltdown in the workplace as well, I was going through a relationship that was not working out, and pushing myself harder than ever.

A months later, I am in a job I love with great people, single (better than being in a bad relationship), teaching a course at night, and enjoying life now.

Life has its ups and downs. Just got to push through the hard times.
Posted 4/13/12
Take a stand.
What is this crisis anyway? If you aren't specific... But okays.
Try forgetting it.
If you are really in extreme danger... Prepare yourself. That case, it won't be a shock to you.
Have things ready for what may or may not come - this may be called paranoidness....
But, seriously. You don't want a mental issue == I've seen some people... It's not ... an enviable situation ):
31362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Floating by.....s...
Offline
Posted 4/21/12
Understand whats is going on and learn to avoid it next time it comes close to arising. Always assess what has happened because you cause your trouble, then you can fix it if you choose. But if it is out of your hands then you must avoid the issuethat troubles you. That is a broad view of it but every situation calls for different actions but run with this for awhile
276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / In My World
Offline
Posted 4/30/12
there can be no turning back...
Posted 5/3/12

mylronnie wrote:

What are your advices for a pre-midlife crisis?


Stay positive, move forward, and find solutions.
22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Back Porch, South...
Offline
Posted 5/4/12
Quarter-life crises are quite common, so don't fret!

Frankly the biggest source of a quarter-life crisis is the transition from college to "adult" life. I'm almost 25 and have been out of college since 2009... I'm still trying to figure it out!

If the world is falling apart due to something other than situational depression, get professional help. Speaking as someone who lives with chronic unipolar depression, things will NOT get better by "toughing it out" like you would in a situational depression attack. If you're depressed because things ACTUALLY suck, that's one thing. If you're depressed for no discernible reason, and remain depressed for over 2 weeks, there's a larger issue here.

However, if you're having a crisis because of something like a.) a bad breakup b.) existential/religious crisis c.) you graduated and now there is nothing to structure your life d.) your job blows huge chunks, my advice is to just muddle through it. Seeking medication for a short-term issue like a craptastic job is way jumping the shark. It WILL get better.

Personally if I'm having a "low" and nothing has changed medication-wise (and I'm medicated out the wazoo... I wish I weren't) I take a day or two to recenter myself. I turn off the phone, make a big pot of green tea, sit on the porch in the sun and read a good novel. Or I do something creative, take a walk, listen to my favorite album. Taking "me" time is very much overlooked in society these days. Step back from everything for a little while, and take a mental break.

Cheers!
Posted 5/5/12

ladycastorpollux wrote:

Quarter-life crises are quite common, so don't fret!

Frankly the biggest source of a quarter-life crisis is the transition from college to "adult" life. I'm almost 25 and have been out of college since 2009... I'm still trying to figure it out!

If the world is falling apart due to something other than situational depression, get professional help. Speaking as someone who lives with chronic unipolar depression, things will NOT get better by "toughing it out" like you would in a situational depression attack. If you're depressed because things ACTUALLY suck, that's one thing. If you're depressed for no discernible reason, and remain depressed for over 2 weeks, there's a larger issue here.

However, if you're having a crisis because of something like a.) a bad breakup b.) existential/religious crisis c.) you graduated and now there is nothing to structure your life d.) your job blows huge chunks, my advice is to just muddle through it. Seeking medication for a short-term issue like a craptastic job is way jumping the shark. It WILL get better.

Personally if I'm having a "low" and nothing has changed medication-wise (and I'm medicated out the wazoo... I wish I weren't) I take a day or two to recenter myself. I turn off the phone, make a big pot of green tea, sit on the porch in the sun and read a good novel. Or I do something creative, take a walk, listen to my favorite album. Taking "me" time is very much overlooked in society these days. Step back from everything for a little while, and take a mental break.

Cheers!


Accept what cannot be changed, and work with the nature of things while working to better yourself. Many of the "accomplishments" people are shooting for are merely attempts to appear more credible in the eyes of a misguided society that often "honors" only worldly gains in excess that fail to compensate for inner suffering and nonacceptance of the self. What we all really need is honesty, and a realistic perspective on things. You take thoughtful care of the things which require your attentiveness that can be influenced by you, and you come first, due to the fact that if you cannot function mentally, you cannot influence anything positively.

22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Back Porch, South...
Offline
Posted 5/5/12

Ahbnaux wrote:
Accept what cannot be changed, and work with the nature of things while working to better yourself. Many of the "accomplishments" people are shooting for are merely attempts to appear more credible in the eyes of a misguided society that often "honors" only worldly gains in excess that fail to compensate for inner suffering and nonacceptance of the self. What we all really need is honesty, and a realistic perspective on things. You take thoughtful care of the things which require your attentiveness that can be influenced by you, and you come first, due to the fact that if you cannot function mentally, you cannot influence anything positively.


I agree with what you've said-- the only complete control one has is over oneself. Therefore, take care of yourself first and foremost, and don't worry at things over which you have no influence. You aren't benefiting anyone, especially your own well-being, by attempting to function at a level your brain can't handle. There is no shame in calling for a rest period.

I train horses. One thing I have to teach all of my clients without fail is that it is better to stop for a break when you get frustrated or tired of the exercise. Horses (and life) learn and move in a wave motion-- there are peaks and valleys. If the trainer or handler finds him/herself getting frustrated when the horse enters a 'valley' (where they seem to forget everything you've just taught them), to keep going and get more and more bent out of shape with the horse almost ensures failure, or worst case, causes the horse to enter fight/flight mode and hurt someone or itself. It's so very beneficial to take five minutes to breathe and take a break. Often, when we start the exercise back up, the client is calmer and has replenished their energy and patience, and so has the horse.

It's the same way with life. Don't burn out or explode trying to push through something. Take a mental break and then try it again. Chances are you'll have more success.

Cheers!
Posted 5/5/12 , edited 5/5/12

ladycastorpollux wrote:


Ahbnaux wrote:
Accept what cannot be changed, and work with the nature of things while working to better yourself. Many of the "accomplishments" people are shooting for are merely attempts to appear more credible in the eyes of a misguided society that often "honors" only worldly gains in excess that fail to compensate for inner suffering and nonacceptance of the self. What we all really need is honesty, and a realistic perspective on things. You take thoughtful care of the things which require your attentiveness that can be influenced by you, and you come first, due to the fact that if you cannot function mentally, you cannot influence anything positively.


I agree with what you've said-- the only complete control one has is over oneself. Therefore, take care of yourself first and foremost, and don't worry at things over which you have no influence. You aren't benefiting anyone, especially your own well-being, by attempting to function at a level your brain can't handle. There is no shame in calling for a rest period.

I train horses. One thing I have to teach all of my clients without fail is that it is better to stop for a break when you get frustrated or tired of the exercise. Horses (and life) learn and move in a wave motion-- there are peaks and valleys. If the trainer or handler finds him/herself getting frustrated when the horse enters a 'valley' (where they seem to forget everything you've just taught them), to keep going and get more and more bent out of shape with the horse almost ensures failure, or worst case, causes the horse to enter fight/flight mode and hurt someone or itself. It's so very beneficial to take five minutes to breathe and take a break. Often, when we start the exercise back up, the client is calmer and has replenished their energy and patience, and so has the horse.

It's the same way with life. Don't burn out or explode trying to push through something. Take a mental break and then try it again. Chances are you'll have more success.

Cheers!


There was never any need for frustration in the first place, because things see completion when the time is right for them to.

Edit: though not all have the capacity to valiantly accept things as they happen without frustration.
4330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / HK
Offline
Posted 5/25/12
cry. talk to everyone i know online. cry some more. Do homework... my would hasn't really stopped falling apart... but then again, my whole world is with a guy :P

but in all honestly, keep busy, I did cry a lot, but since I have so many activities and a huge load of homework, I dont have time to mope around too much.
62 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
Music. Find people with similar situations online, see how they dealt with their problems then try to find a solution for myself.
4369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / Moving up..
Offline
Posted 6/1/12
Try to fix it or move foward NEVER back.
Like time cannot turn back
4369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / Moving up..
Offline
Posted 6/1/12
lol
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.