First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll to Now Stream in 1080p
68868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 1/12/12 , edited 1/12/12

Coffeebot wrote:

The quality is only VERY minor in terms of improvement for those streaming to a HD TV or viewing on a 1920x1080 native resolution monitor, if not streaming on either of those devices then the perceived quality increase can be attributed to the psychology of "bigger numbers are better".

It would be a different story if there was some content produced in 1080p and streamed here, but there isn't so it really is just marketing fluff.

Its delivered to Crunchyroll as 1080p material in any event, whether or not the Japanese animation producer upscaled the animation or the animation and backgrounds both, since it broadcasts in 1080i. There's also the approximate doubling of the bitrate, which those with the bandwidth and display equipment to experience it ought to notice.


PK_Mongoose wrote: Besides, it seems they have enough money to provide enough bandwidth to premium members to stream 1080p. Why wouldn't they have enough to provide 480p to free members?

Which free members are restricted to SD? Now you make me want to logout of my account and see if what you say is true. Be back in ten or so minutes ...
... hey, that's right. I wonder whether they had to scale that back or whether I just didn't remember because the different computers I had back in 2009 couldn't really stream 480p anyway.

Anyway, you've got it turned around ~ Crunchyroll gets enough from subscribers to stream 1080p. That is, its the subscribers that basically cover the cost of the subtitling, so as the number of subscribers has (according to public information) basically doubled in a year and a half, that means that less money per subscriber has to go to paying for the subtitles, so more is available to pay for bandwidth.

Why doesn't Crunchyroll stream 480p to free members? Because Crunchyroll doesn't get enough from free members to cover the cost of doing it. EVen with subscribers basically covering the cost of subtitling for the free members, each stream, subscriber or ad-supported, has to pay a royalty for the view, and also pay for its bandwidth. Ad-streaming rates run from $0.01 per ad for the lowest mid-tier rates to $0.03 per ad for the top end of premium content.

If the advertising rates rise high enough so Crunchyroll can afford free 480p streams, they'd likely do it, because attracting more free members is where more subscribing members basically come from.

As far as the quality of bootleg torrent download sites, that's because they don't pay for bandwidth and don't pay royalties, so they don't have the same costs to cover.
42151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/12/12
shat myself when my cousin told me....animes will be more worth while to watch in 1080p on my 55" LED Babbehhhhhhhhhhhhhh
23146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / look behind you...
Offline
Posted 1/12/12
-sigh- well too bad i don't have premium
and i have no credit card.
therefore i can't start a free trial either...
57542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Michigan
Offline
Posted 1/12/12
YEY!!
The Wise Wizard
77941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/12/12

elpedolocook wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could send me a 2 day trial to see if its worth getting it again or not thanks :)

I would, but I just sent my last one out a few minutes ago, which makes this the first time I have exhausted my supply.

Hopefully someone else will step forward and hook you up.



As some other people have mentioned, I would be more interested in a higher bitrate 720p stream (as my HDTV is an old 720p model), but I don't see CR doing two different 720p streams, nor replacing the current one with a higher bitrate one in the near future (as that could "break" 720p streaming for some people it now works for).

67287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 1/12/12

Crystabuni wrote:

-sigh- well too bad i don't have premium
and i have no credit card.
therefore i can't start a free trial either...


just buy a prepaid card from your local super market.
73429 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/12

TheAncientOne wrote:

As some other people have mentioned, I would be more interested in a higher bitrate 720p stream (as my HDTV is an old 720p model), but I don't see CR doing two different 720p streams, nor replacing the current one with a higher bitrate one in the near future (as that could "break" 720p streaming for some people it now works for).

Actually they raised the 720p bitrate a little starting this season. The 1080p bitrate is obviously much higher though.
10146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 1/12/12
if only I was a subscriber.
17117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/12/12
38467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/12 , edited 1/12/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


elpedolocook wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could send me a 2 day trial to see if its worth getting it again or not thanks :)

I would, but I just sent my last one out a few minutes ago, which makes this the first time I have exhausted my supply.

Hopefully someone else will step forward and hook you up.



As some other people have mentioned, I would be more interested in a higher bitrate 720p stream (as my HDTV is an old 720p model), but I don't see CR doing two different 720p streams, nor replacing the current one with a higher bitrate one in the near future (as that could "break" 720p streaming for some people it now works for).



As long as your computer can handle 1080p playback smoothly nothing is stopping you from viewing the 1080p video to gain access to a higher bitrate video stream(CR 1080p video is twice the bitrate of there 720p video) you obviously won't get the benefit of the higher resolution of course on a 720p screen but the video quality will be higher due to the much higher bitrate.
38467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/12

Crystabuni wrote:

-sigh- well too bad i don't have premium
and i have no credit card.
therefore i can't start a free trial either...


Buy a prepaid visa giftcard at a store and you can use it crunchyroll. Do the trial first to get your free 2 weeks and use the rest on a premium membership fi you want.
JJtoob 
42178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Napa, CA
Offline
Posted 1/12/12
Damn, my monitor sure chose a bad time to take a crap on me... I'm currently using a 15in CRT monitor haha, 1024x756 resolution max. LOL Gotta get a 1080p monitor or HDTV ASAP! Can't wait to watch my anime in "glorious" full HD! Oh, you guys only make things better and better around here. Thanks Crunchyroll!
29913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/12 , edited 1/12/12
My computer can't run 1080p smoothly and the resolution of my monitor is less than 1080 anyway (1440 x 900,) so I'll stick with 720p (or even 480p if I have my virus scan running at the same time). Good for those who can handle it though.
145107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Online
Posted 1/12/12
Well, I checked out Inu x Boku SS today as the first episode in 1080p. It didn't look too different from 720 tbh and for some reason, it displays gray lines between some scenes and occasionally lags randomly. In other words, I'll stick with 720 for now.
19977 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / On Artaeum
Offline
Posted 1/12/12
getting a premium membership is dam easy CR bucks ftw rofl free 1080p pretty much now thanks CR
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.