First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
College majors that are useless
215207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/19/12 , edited 1/19/12
Well, I started attending University recently where I'm majoring in Economics/Financing.

Anyways, today I saw this interesting article: http://education.yahoo.net/articles/most_useless_degrees.htm?kid=1KWNU

Useless Degree #1 - Agriculture
Number of Students Awarded Degree in 2008-2009: 24,988
Typical coursework: Crops, plant diseases, animal husbandry, basic veterinary science

With today's technology, your chances of finding a job related to this major are pretty damn slim.

Useless Degree #2 - Fashion Design
Number of Students Awarded Degree in 2008-2009: 89,140
Typical coursework: Fashion history, sewing, tailoring, color, design, pattern making

Difficult to find a job unless u have good references and experience as today's fashion field is getting smaller and smaller.

Useless Degree #3 - Theater
Number of Students Awarded Degree in 2008-2009: 89,140
Typical coursework: Theater, acting, directing, design, playwriting, communications, dramatic literature

Very difficult to find a job these days as the competition is intense not to mention getting noticed.

Useless Degree #4 - Animal Science
Number of Students Awarded Degree in 2008-2009: 80,756
Typical coursework: Animal breeding, reproductive physiology, nutrition, meat and muscle biology

Too specific. Too focused on a specific or specialist field of work.

There's one more on this list but I'm not familiar with it so can look into article to learn more.

Anyways, my mom knows two friends who has great children that came from good Universities. One of them majored in philosophy and is now working as a Pizza Boy. The other switched majors at least 6 times with her current major being Mathematics. She doesn't even have a job right now or even a car license. Neither of them is satisfied with their life atm.

Point of the story? Plan ahead.

Tl;Dr version. I was bored
47831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 1/19/12
I think majoring in philosophy is only good if you live in the age of ancient Rome. Otherwise, you dont really get anywhere with it, as you say.

Maybe psychology should be added as well, but i've heard both good and bad things about that.
215207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/19/12

zen03y wrote:

I think majoring in philosophy is only good if you live in the age of ancient Rome. Otherwise, you dont really get anywhere with it, as you say.

Maybe psychology should be added as well, but i've heard both good and bad things about that.


Hmm, I guess but what kind of occupation could a major in philosophy get? The course is somewhat interesting imo as I've studied Phil 100 in college. I've never took Psych 101 so don't have any opinions on that

6465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/19/12
<---is going to major in piano. Am I crazy for doing such a thing.....yes. However, it's what I love doing and I will work my @$$ off.Luckily I know people who can help just in case.
55555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/19/12 , edited 1/19/12
Honestly, useful degrees are medicine, pharmacy, business, some engineering concentrations (with masters), economics (with masters), and a small handful of masters in the arts and sciences; the rest are nearly worthless on their own. These days, it's even difficult to find a job in education. If you are one of the poor souls in science or arts that can't get into medicine because you have poor grades, get a masters otherwise you'll have wasted at least 3 years of your life. I have a degree in Accounting, and I'm currently doing my MBA and CMA. It's something that I know I'm better than just about everyone else at, plus I know my field is in high demand - and it pays really, really well. I've never been a big supporter of going to University. If you can avoid going to University, do it. A lot of what you can do there, you can do at a community or technical college in a shorter amount of time, get training, and get paid more post graduation. Never let yourself get tricked into thinking that University is your only option after high school.

Just a side note: A philosophy is one of, if not the most useless degree on this planet. A lot of major Universities across the world do not offer masters programs in philosophy simply because there are no jobs in that field.

EDIT: Culinary degrees aren't bad either, but what you put into it reflects in your wages. The same goes for a lot of other degrees at technical colleges.
85263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Online
Posted 1/19/12 , edited 1/19/12
English, History, Sociology, Communication

All terrible majors if you want a job after graduation. I'm not saying you won't get one, but if you don't like teaching doing those majors are pointless.

Edit: My English 101 professor makes $21k per year.
My Communication 111 professor needs another full-time job to make ends meet.
My Sociology 201 professor makes around $13 a hour she claims.
My History 131 profess makes the most at around $45k per year. He been there for 15 years though.
215207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/19/12
Nursing is also a pretty good occupation to get these days. Alot of companies and hospitals have an urgent demand for nurses from what I've seen or been told.
6465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/19/12

ReaperEXE wrote:

Honestly, useful degrees are medicine, pharmacy, business, some engineering concentrations (with masters), economics (with masters), and a small handful of masters in the arts and sciences; the rest are nearly worthless on their own. These days, it's even difficult to find a job in education. If you are one of the poor souls in science or arts that can't get into medicine because you have poor grades, get a masters otherwise you'll have wasted at least 3 years of your life. I have a degree in Accounting, and I'm currently doing my MBA and CMA. It's something that I know I'm better than just about everyone else at, plus I know my field is in high demand - and it pays really, really well. I've never been a big supporter of going to University. If you can avoid going to University, do it. A lot of what you can do there, you can do at a community or technical college in a shorter amount of time, get training, and get paid more post graduation. Never let yourself get tricked into thinking that University is your only option after high school.

Just a side note: A philosophy is one of, if not the most useless degree on this planet. A lot of major Universities across the world do not offer masters programs in philosophy simply because there are no jobs in that field.

EDIT: Culinary degrees aren't bad either, but what you put into it reflects in your wages. The same goes for a lot of other degrees at technical colleges.


This is true but for some fields of work it's better to try to get into a college. Usually those that are harder to find a starting job in because you get to know more people with money when you get into college who may be able to help get that starting job. Getting a job is about 20% experience, 30% of a name you have made for yourself, and 50% people you know. However, if you can avoid spending the time and money on going to a university by all means do so.
85263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Online
Posted 1/19/12

stark700 wrote:


zen03y wrote:

I think majoring in philosophy is only good if you live in the age of ancient Rome. Otherwise, you dont really get anywhere with it, as you say.

Maybe psychology should be added as well, but i've heard both good and bad things about that.


Hmm, I guess but what kind of occupation could a major in philosophy get? The course is somewhat interesting imo as I've studied Phil 100 in college. I've never took Psych 101 so don't have any opinions on that



My Philosophy 202 professor said if you don't plan to teach Philosophy majoring in it is pointless. He said "I love Philosophy, but there just is not any jobs for that major."
Posted 1/19/12
Nursing major here!

Yeah I can't see you doing too much with a degree in History.
215207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/19/12 , edited 1/19/12

Khaltazar wrote:


stark700 wrote:


zen03y wrote:

I think majoring in philosophy is only good if you live in the age of ancient Rome. Otherwise, you dont really get anywhere with it, as you say.

Maybe psychology should be added as well, but i've heard both good and bad things about that.


Hmm, I guess but what kind of occupation could a major in philosophy get? The course is somewhat interesting imo as I've studied Phil 100 in college. I've never took Psych 101 so don't have any opinions on that



My Philosophy 202 professor said if you don't plan to teach Philosophy majoring in it is pointless. He said "I love Philosophy, but there just is not any jobs for that major."


Ah I see. Well, the guy I was talking about attended a good university (or at least one that was reputable in my state) and graduated in under 2 years from I've been told. Now, he works for pizza hut and has to actually work 2 jobs just to support himself.
3389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Queens / New York
Offline
Posted 1/19/12
Now here is where I'm at a crossroad on..... Im currently in my Junior Year in high school and thinking about my future so to speak... I want to Major in Computer Programing but not 100% sure if this is what I want to do. Their we're 4 different options on what to do.

#1. Computer Programing
#2. Graphic Design
#3. Game Design/Art
#4. Game Programing

Now I don't know which to choose because I don't know how this will come about for my future (example where to find a job with this type of field(s)). What would be the best plan? Now I chose Computer programming because top companies and many major medical fields do require computer Programing. (example: Hospitals,Schools,Large business companies,[wall street] ect.) but I'm not sure if this is the right choice but it seems like the best option.
3331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 1/19/12
______ Studies
215207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/19/12

ampcloud9 wrote:

Now here is where I'm at a crossroad on..... Im currently in my Junior Year in high school and thinking about my future so to speak... I want to Major in Computer Programing but not 100% sure if this is what I want to do. Their we're 4 different options on what to do.

#1. Computer Programing
#2. Graphic Design
#3. Game Design/Art
#4. Game Programing

Now I don't know which to choose because I don't know how this will come about for my future (example where to find a job with this type of field(s)). What would be the best plan? Now I chose Computer programming because top companies and many major medical fields do require computer Programing. (example: Hospitals,Schools,Large business companies,[wall street] ect.) but I'm not sure if this is the right choice but it seems like the best option.


I wouldn't recommend graphic design as I've heard it's not easy to get an employment from that. Although I think computer programming might be alright cause I know someone who got hired to Microsoft after successfully earning his Master's.

I think if ur really interested in computer related major, something like computer science or electrician might be easier to seek employment. Computer information science is also pretty interesting as I took the course before and had fun.
3389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Queens / New York
Offline
Posted 1/19/12

stark700 wrote:


ampcloud9 wrote:

Now here is where I'm at a crossroad on..... Im currently in my Junior Year in high school and thinking about my future so to speak... I want to Major in Computer Programing but not 100% sure if this is what I want to do. Their we're 4 different options on what to do.

#1. Computer Programing
#2. Graphic Design
#3. Game Design/Art
#4. Game Programing

Now I don't know which to choose because I don't know how this will come about for my future (example where to find a job with this type of field(s)). What would be the best plan? Now I chose Computer programming because top companies and many major medical fields do require computer Programing. (example: Hospitals,Schools,Large business companies,[wall street] ect.) but I'm not sure if this is the right choice but it seems like the best option.


I wouldn't recommend graphic design as I've heard it's not easy to get an employment from that. Although I think computer programming might be alright cause I know someone who got hired to Microsoft after successfully earning his Master's.

I think if ur really interested in computer related major, something like computer science or electrician might be easier to seek employment. Computer information science is also pretty interesting as I took the course before and had fun.


Great that's good to know but regardless I don't want to pick something that I would regret doing due to the lack of jobs. But computer science does look fun and I wouldn't mind working for Microsoft later in the future
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.