First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
College majors that are useless
273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / I don't know either
Offline
Posted 1/20/12
this sucks...though my major is not on the list. Really, choose the major you really WANT. Don't be like me.
85263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 1/20/12

P5CYH0K4M3
Absolute lie!!!!! I am a Game and Simulation Programming Major at DeVry Phoenix. Before people start with the reputation of the school, DeVry has an amazing reputation among employers. Yes, the Family Guy episode is right, it is incredibly easy to get in. But, a lot of people fail out because of how difficult it really is. Our starting class consisted of about 100 or so, we're now at 20 and that's pretty much the largest graduating class they've turned out for the degree. Usually only about 5 actually make it. Anyways, it IS a degree and a damn good one. I'm actually going to GDC this year along with another member of my Mid-Term game project group as well as other groups from my campus are going. We're going to be displaying our games to convention goers with the intent of displaying our skills and landing interviews. The Computer Information Sciences degree at our school lasts about 2 and a half years to complete, from my observations, and the GSP degree is supposed to last a good year longer. We finish so much faster than other degrees because we pretty much work nonstop from the day we get in until the day we graduate. Aside from national holidays we only get about two weeks of break during Christmas for the entire year. Then it's back to work. If you've got the stomach for it and if you hate your sleep, a game programming degree is a great way to go. Seriously, for the last week, I've slept 2-4 hours daily and then had to continue work. Anyways, if you want more information on what I've been learning, the milestones of the degree, etc. feel free to shoot me a PM.


I am in class from 8 in the morning until 8 in the evening. I have classes five days a week and I have six classes to attend to. I'm not trying to say DeVry is not viable, but what is the name of the degree you get? Is it a Bachelor's of Science or an Associates of Game Programming? An Associates degree will not get you anywhere. If you look at all major game job requirements it wants at the bare minimum a Bachelor's degree and they will only accept a Bachelor's of Science which takes four years to get. My major we work from August - December (two-week break) and then January to May (2 day break SAT & SUN) and then May to August (2 day break SAT & SUN). My friend graduated from DeVry in two years and cannot find a job anywhere. Eventually he had to go back and get a higher degree and even then they wouldn't touch it because he lacked specific classes a Bachelor's of Science degree offers. You can have nice networking and get a job from just High School, but if you want to be competitive you need at the bare minimum a Bachelor's of Science.
49061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/20/12 , edited 1/20/12

Khaltazar wrote:


P5CYH0K4M3
Absolute lie!!!!! I am a Game and Simulation Programming Major at DeVry Phoenix. Before people start with the reputation of the school, DeVry has an amazing reputation among employers. Yes, the Family Guy episode is right, it is incredibly easy to get in. But, a lot of people fail out because of how difficult it really is. Our starting class consisted of about 100 or so, we're now at 20 and that's pretty much the largest graduating class they've turned out for the degree. Usually only about 5 actually make it. Anyways, it IS a degree and a damn good one. I'm actually going to GDC this year along with another member of my Mid-Term game project group as well as other groups from my campus are going. We're going to be displaying our games to convention goers with the intent of displaying our skills and landing interviews. The Computer Information Sciences degree at our school lasts about 2 and a half years to complete, from my observations, and the GSP degree is supposed to last a good year longer. We finish so much faster than other degrees because we pretty much work nonstop from the day we get in until the day we graduate. Aside from national holidays we only get about two weeks of break during Christmas for the entire year. Then it's back to work. If you've got the stomach for it and if you hate your sleep, a game programming degree is a great way to go. Seriously, for the last week, I've slept 2-4 hours daily and then had to continue work. Anyways, if you want more information on what I've been learning, the milestones of the degree, etc. feel free to shoot me a PM.


I am in class from 8 in the morning until 8 in the evening. I have classes five days a week and I have six classes to attend to. I'm not trying to say DeVry is not viable, but what is the name of the degree you get? Is it a Bachelor's of Science or an Associates of Game Programming? An Associates degree will not get you anywhere. If you look at all major game job requirements it wants at the bare minimum a Bachelor's degree and they will only accept a Bachelor's of Science which takes four years to get. My major we work from August - December (two-week break) and then January to May (2 day break SAT & SUN) and then May to August (2 day break SAT & SUN). My friend graduated from DeVry in two years and cannot find a job anywhere. Eventually he had to go back and get a higher degree and even then they wouldn't touch it because he lacked specific classes a Bachelor's of Science degree offers. You can have nice networking and get a job from just High School, but if you want to be competitive you need at the bare minimum a Bachelor's of Science.


It's a Bachelor's of Science in Game and Simulation Programming. The projected graduation time is 3 and a half years. That's not to say that we waste half a year. Actually, what appears to be an equivalent degree at a state college here; they call it interactive media programming, takes 6 years. We graduate twice as fast because, as I mentioned we are expected to work twice as fast and have few breaks. It all depends on the degree, as with anything. All my friends that have graduated have found work in their field of choice. Hell, some of my classmates have jobs before graduation in their fields of choice.
85263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 1/20/12

P5CYH0K4M3
It's a Bachelor's of Science in Game and Simulation Programming. The projected graduation time is 3 and a half years. That's not to say that we waste half a year. Actually, what appears to be an equivalent degree at a state college here; they call it interactive media programming, takes 6 years. We graduate twice as fast because, as I mentioned we are expected to work twice as fast and have few breaks. It all depends on the degree, as with anything. All my friends that have graduated have found work in their field of choice. Hell, some of my classmates have jobs before graduation in their fields of choice.


I'm guessing that you are not forced to take general education classes, or classes you do not want to take? Such as:

(Just for this example.)

- English 101, 102
- History 101
- Art 101
- Chemistry 101, 111 (Chemistry 101 Lab)
- Communication 101
- Social Behavior 101, 102
- Physics 101 (Calculus 1 Based), 102 (Calculus 2 Based), 111 (Physics 101 Lab), 112 (Physics 102 Lab)
- Calculus 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302
- Computer Science 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302, 401, 402
- Computer Science Electives: 103, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 (Branch Point)
- Electric Circuits 301 (Differential Equations & Logic), 302 (Linear Algebra & Current), 311 (EC 301 Lab), 312 (EC 302 Lab)
Plus a few more.

Those are the base classes we are forced to take. That is for an Engineering Degree in Computer Engineering & Computer Science (Bachelor's of Science Program)

I wish there was a college that let us only take Computer Science classes. I'm sort of forced into this Engineering degree.
49061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/20/12

Khaltazar wrote:

I'm guessing that you are not forced to take general education classes, or classes you do not want to take? Such as:

(Just for this example.)

- English 101, 102
- History 101
- Art 101
- Chemistry 101, 111 (Chemistry 101 Lab)
- Communication 101
- Social Behavior 101, 102
- Physics 101 (Calculus 1 Based), 102 (Calculus 2 Based), 111 (Physics 101 Lab), 112 (Physics 102 Lab)
- Calculus 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302
- Computer Science 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302, 401, 402
- Computer Science Electives: 103, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410 (Branch Point)
- Electric Circuits 301 (Differential Equations & Logic), 302 (Linear Algebra & Current), 311 (EC 301 Lab), 312 (EC 302 Lab)
Plus a few more.

Those are the base classes we are forced to take. That is for an Engineering Degree in Computer Engineering & Computer Science (Bachelor's of Science Program)

I wish there was a college that let us only take Computer Science classes. I'm sort of forced into this Engineering degree.


Actually, we are. Physics is actually required because it's a core component of the game engine. We only have to take a Pre-Calculus class and two "Math for Game Programming" classes which are a blend of physics and calculus that's steered toward game programming specific topics. We do take the basic computer science classes to get a general understanding of programming standards and techniques before we delve into the more complicated game stuff. I took two Psych classes, and 2 English classes (AP tested out of the first of 3). According to my student adviser any school that wants accreditation has to require Gen. Ed courses. Our curriculum looks very similar to what you listed. It's just that instead of going all the way through with Computer Science courses, we drop those about half way and start getting into game specific programming. We don't have to do anything with engineering though. Oh, and we only take one degree relevant elective towards the end of the degree.
79737 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 1/20/12
To play devil's advocate for a moment, a major is only useless in terms of what you plan to do with it.

For instance, a history degree may be entirely useful if you plan on becoming a professor, or plan on writing history books. It doesn't mean you'll be likely to succeed in such a career, but it is useful for your plans.

If you only pick a career based on potential earning then, yes, a number of majors are useless.

In my case, I have a degree in engineering. It's a very useful degree, however, I don't work in an engineering field. Life threw me a lot of curve balls, so I was forced to adapt. Instead, I'm a software engineer--yes, I know that technically such a thing does not exist, but it is a good description of what I do. My degree, however, is essentially useless for my current field of work.

So, your choice of major always has the potential of becoming useless. My suggestion is to pick something that will help you with your plans. But be ready to adapt: life is very uncooperative in helping you with your plans.
55555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/20/12

deadpanditto wrote:

To play devil's advocate for a moment, a major is only useless in terms of what you plan to do with it.

For instance, a history degree may be entirely useful if you plan on becoming a professor, or plan on writing history books. It doesn't mean you'll be likely to succeed in such a career, but it is useful for your plans.

If you only pick a career based on potential earning then, yes, a number of majors are useless.

In my case, I have a degree in engineering. It's a very useful degree, however, I don't work in an engineering field. Life threw me a lot of curve balls, so I was forced to adapt. Instead, I'm a software engineer--yes, I know that technically such a thing does not exist, but it is a good description of what I do. My degree, however, is essentially useless for my current field of work.

So, your choice of major always has the potential of becoming useless. My suggestion is to pick something that will help you with your plans. But be ready to adapt: life is very uncooperative in helping you with your plans.


I don't like rap, but to quote Snoop Dogg, "I need money, money, money..."
79737 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 1/20/12

ReaperEXE wrote:

I don't like rap, but to quote Snoop Dogg, "I need money, money, money..."


I totally agree.
35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 1/20/12
Only a tard would take any of those anyways.
Posted 1/20/12
If you're looking at the money finish college and get professional courses. By the time most people are finishing their university, in debt, and without experience, you already have a decent saving accounts, a car, several years of experience, and possibly an employer that trusts your job and keeps funding further studies.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/20/12
There is no such thing as useless knowledge.
Posted 1/20/12

-Vega- wrote:

There is no such thing as useless knowledge.


Tbh, I don't see me being able to name all 151 original Pokemon and all the original moves being useful anytime soon.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 1/20/12

haikinka wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

There is no such thing as useless knowledge.


Tbh, I don't see me being able to name all 151 original Pokemon and all the original moves being useful anytime soon.


What is your definition of useful?

53100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 1/20/12
I have a friend who works as a hiring agent for a defense contractor (I myself am in the military, and I work with him often so that is how I know him)

I once asked him how he reviews applications (after he told me he gets thousands a week...o_o).

He said, "The first thing I do is discard anyone with less than a 4 year degree. The next thing I do is dump anybody who graduated from an online school who doesn't already have at least 2 years of experience. After that, I don't care if you graduated from Harvard or from SUNY (State University of New York, several of which are close to where we are.)"

So yeah, those online schools are pretty much garbage, no matter what you say
Posted 1/20/12

-Vega- wrote:

What is your definition of useful?



Err... I dunno, kinda self explanatory.
I guess something that will benefit someone or something.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.