After looking at Funimation, I appreciate CR even more!
65393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Usually somewhere...
Offline
Posted 1/28/12
Hello Everyone.

I just stopped over on the Funimation site to see what they did to the series I previously watched on CR to see how the did.

All I can say is Funamation makes big mistakes.

1. They change titles of the shows so poorly you would never figure out what show was what:

Bombshells from the sky became Cat planet Cuties for example

2. The do the same thing as VIZ, they change what was said to help with lipsync.

3. Their website is very slow ,, I hae a paid for premier member free pass and it still is real slow.

4. I could go on but I would rather say, I rather watch CR.

If CR dubbed shows, I think they would retain the titles.

Just one persons thoughts

\\
Posted 1/28/12
1. Just localization for the Western audiences to understand things better in most cases. I do agree that Cat Planet Cuties can be a questionable localization though but it's not like Bombshells from the Sky really described the show itself much.

2. If you meant subs, it's questionable. The quality of translation on most of Funi's streams are pretty good. On dubs, it's a good thing so I don't see many negatives. Why settle for long lines when the lines can be said in fewer words?

3. I don't use their site so I can't discuss it... I've only used their Hulu uploads and YouTube streams. The few streams I've done on their site worked fine with me.

4. Me too, higher quality videos (although sometimes upscales) and great simulcasts.
215311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/28/12
I watch shows from Funimation occasionally (actually watching one right now), dat Tokyo Majin in dubbed.

As for the subtitles from Funimation, they actually do a pretty damn good job as I rarely see any mistakes in their translation. Their dubbed are just so so as I rarely watched dubbed anyways unless I can't find a legit subbed version of a series.

I still like CR better thou imo with their speed, quality, and service provided. The 720p is a nice addition to the videos and most of my favorite animes to stream this season are on CR.

85320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 1/29/12
Being a fan of one things doesn't meant you have to dislike other things in its area. Absolutely love Crunchyroll and they have more than earned my long-term support. I don't particularly desire to pursue dubs (I don't dislike them), but Funimation is doing good for the anime industry. I think they deserve to be supported to. They haven't earned me as a customer yet, but relative to all other media the anime industry is tiny and fragile. I am glad that Funimation was eager to jump on the idea of digital distribution.

Though I do wish they cooperated with Crunchyroll instead of being 100% seperate. Having more locations to spend at makes it harder for consumers to send money in all those directions. They'll have to work hard to earn a seperate portion of my money ... or I'll have to get lucky with income.

To note more specifically about your points:

1. The english titles Crunchyroll uses are temporary and not intended to be official (usually). Crunchyroll only deals with rapid-delivery of anime, they don't have to deal with long-term marketing issues that anime on store shelves may have. The show you refer to was originally titled "Asobi ni Iku yo!" which translates to neither of those titles. Asobi meand "play": the literal title would be "[Lets] go play!"

2. For dubbing, it is by all laws impossible to lipsync without adapting the sentences. But they have much experience in this process and know we hate for the work to be changed too much. For subs, last I checked Funimation doesn't use the dub script for the subtitles. Last I checked was half a decade ago.

3. I've heard people call CR slow. I believe no one when it comes to comments of slow, particularly because everything on my end is premium XD

4. That is pretty much my position. CR has earned a lot of my loyalty, while Funimation is less so. More anime is a good thing, but money is an issue, and it's more convenient to have everything in one place.
53556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / The great not so...
Offline
Posted 1/29/12 , edited 2/25/16
My only problem with Funi is that their player sucks I mean it buffers every 50 seconds or less after I leave it paused for 2 or 3 minutes. Their site also runs extremely slow I can comment on two to five threads on various websites before it even loads to the next page. So I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

CR is the best legal stream for me second being Youtube then Hulu then NicoNico.
36349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 1/29/12
Well, I feel that Funimation dubbing is kind of bland. Like half the shows they dub sound like they lack emotion and energy. But that's just my opinion :/
50278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Phatuum Thani, Th...
Offline
Posted 1/29/12

tigerwolf29 wrote:

Well, I feel that Funimation dubbing is kind of bland. Like half the shows they dub sound like they lack emotion and energy. But that's just my opinion :/


Aren't almost all dubbings pretty bland? XD
36349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 1/29/12

demo_Animation wrote:


tigerwolf29 wrote:

Well, I feel that Funimation dubbing is kind of bland. Like half the shows they dub sound like they lack emotion and energy. But that's just my opinion :/


Aren't almost all dubbings pretty bland? XD


Well some voice actors seem to get into it more than others and have more energy. And then there are the ones who pretty much read the lines without any energy or emotion.
51264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 1/29/12
My main problem with Funimation is that their player doesn't work for me - if I have to de-fullscreen after starting a stream, it takes upwards of a minute to re-fullscreen. Hulu's works just fine for me, so I've used that whenever I could. As for their dubbing, I haven't really had a problem with it for the most part - the delivery in Spice and Wolf wasn't any stiffer than most Medieval European shows - the only real problem I can recall is that B Gata H Kei's protagonist gets her name pronounced "Yom-a-duh"; whoever made that decision needs to be slapped hard and repetitively(that one issue made me stop watching halfway through the first episode - everything else was great).
3238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 1/29/12

tigerwolf29 wrote:

Well some voice actors seem to get into it more than others and have more energy. And then there are the ones who pretty much read the lines without any energy or emotion.


See the entire dub of Sailor Moon for a perfect example.



215311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/29/12

Tsubasa_Lover_4Ever wrote:

My only problem with Funi is that their player sucks I mean it buffers every 50 seconds or less after I leave it paused for 2 or 3 minutes. Their site also runs extremely slow I can comment on two to five threads on various websites before it even loads to the next page. So I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

CR is the best legal stream for me second being Youtube then Hulu then NicoNico.


This is nearly the same problem I have with Funimation. Their player seems to buffer and lags occasionally in the middle of videos. Sometimes if it doesn't move, I have to refresh the entire video to get it up loading.

Not sure I can agree with you on Hulu thou, as their site is filled with ads for videos
14005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Planet Mato
Offline
Posted 1/29/12
not sure if this that funimation but higurashi no naku koro ni title was changed into "when they cry" :< the only difference between higurashi and umineko no naku koro ni's title is one is cicadas and the other is seagulls. so if they leave the cicadas part it kinda ruins it >.>
Posted 1/29/12
Yay for you!
53556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / The great not so...
Offline
Posted 1/29/12

stark700 wrote:


Tsubasa_Lover_4Ever wrote:

My only problem with Funi is that their player sucks I mean it buffers every 50 seconds or less after I leave it paused for 2 or 3 minutes. Their site also runs extremely slow I can comment on two to five threads on various websites before it even loads to the next page. So I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

CR is the best legal stream for me second being Youtube then Hulu then NicoNico.


This is nearly the same problem I have with Funimation. Their player seems to buffer and lags occasionally in the middle of videos. Sometimes if it doesn't move, I have to refresh the entire video to get it up loading.

Not sure I can agree with you on Hulu thou, as their site is filled with ads for videos


I don't mind ads also I love the buffer bar they have on top of the video so you know if the stream is to stop or not. I wish Crunchyroll would add something similar so that way I don't have to guess when to push play.
215311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 1/29/12

Tsubasa_Lover_4Ever wrote:

I don't mind ads also I love the buffer bar they have on top of the video so you know if the stream is to stop or not. I wish Crunchyroll would add something similar so that way I don't have to guess when to push play.


Yes, I agree with the buffer addition to videos on CR.

Also,

BasouKazuma wrote:

Some things most likley coming next year:
- More device support
- HD video for supported devices that can handle HD video and stream it securely
- 1080P video for the website, possibly for some supported apps as well (check)
- New website and app design/layout

I'm guessing part of this may include the buffer addition if possibly added this year.
You must be logged in to post.