First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Japanese Perversion(debate)
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 2/15/12
I love a lot of aspects of Japanese culture but it is true that a lot of it is perverted. There are many things there that are acceptable which shouldn't be and it is very easy for young children to get hold of inappropriate material. I read an article about this in NEO magazine and it really did make me sad. Japan has such a wonderful culture in other ways, it's a shame it has to be ruined by all the pervy stuff that goes on there too.
because of all this pervertedness, a lot of people who don't know much about Japan have a few misconceptions about it. Too many people have heard that I like anime and automatically assume I mean porn.
However, there isn't a culture in the world that is perfect. Although Japan may have a particular pervy section of its culture (particularly around Tokyo) there are pervy things that are legal in other countries. Britain has porn channels that come with freeview, regardless of whether you want them or not. Some of them start as early as 10pm. There are also many ads I've seen on tv here that are just too much, and there are shops with porn mags not on the top shelf.
It is just a fact of life that no matter where you are, you can't really get away from it. As much as the most moral and civilised of us would like to.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/15/12 , edited 2/15/12


"The legal age for sex in Japan is very young. According to wikipedia it is like 13. Also, most places in the world have the age of consensual sex at 16. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent So .... as for loli ... if it looks too young it probably is LOL. They try and get around this sometimes by saying "I'm actually in high school" .... yeah you're not fooling me.

As for the sexual perversion stuff. Well I don't know that much about ALL of Japan but I will say their freaks beat our freaks any day. Errr rather the amount of "freak" in their porn beats the freak in our porn and I'm not talking about hentai either. Just straight up porn. Well I think I've embarrassed myself enough for today."

no yeah i pretty much agree with you. *messed up the quoting above*
Posted 2/15/12 , edited 2/15/12

Mangasurf wrote:

It's definitely a cultural thing, but i'm kind of appalled at immoral and disgusting images and writings in excess that they consider to be okay or tolerable. I've been to Yokosuka and Tokyo, Japan, and of course not all of it is as i say (most of the people there are very humble and kind), so don't be offended (I know America has its faults too, but i don't really see how they can compare).... but here is someone asking a similar question that deserves a heated debate.

"Why is Japanese culture so perverted and violent?
There's lots of...perversion in Japan and all, but it's a more subtle subculture...very silent and closeted in its trafficking and deviance. The bloody gore, rape and murder in manga is much more open, though. But the rest of Asia just doesn't seem like that at all - and I'm not sure why. Japan always does seem to be unique among all the Eastern nations, embracing that which would be considered truly disgusting by countries such as Korea, the Philippines, India, and China. I don't feel comfortable with their culture in its entirety...

And I mean, if you don't believe me or want evidence or specific examples of this, then just search something like "Shotacon" and "Lolicon" on Wikipedia (which was how I first read about this side of their culture), and something even called "Toddlercon", not to mention the incest in their comics. I've read in an U.N. article that the Japanese government refused to ban child pornography, and someone here even said something about a painting of a Japanese woman having sex with two octopi and posted this link: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Dream_of_the_fishermans_wife_hokusai.jpg

I strongly support freedom and democracy, and I do respect the fact that Japan on some level supports it as well (even if it was not initially chosen by their own people), but, seriously, there are dozens of Eastern cultures and societies, many of which are as democratic as the Japanese, and few seem to have such embedded perversion. I mean, in the Philippines, for example, at least you don't see used girls' panties sold in vending machines to pedophiles...

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it - I've grown up in both the West and the East, but this just confuses me. Do most Americans quietly tolerate such culture as well?

Additional Details
Well, just a note - I, for one, HAVE been to Japan, and it was not the most enjoyable of experiences, I must admit. But I've been there, which is admittedly more than most fans of Japan can say...

And I know the Communists in China, for example, are just horrible tyrants, yes - but at least I've heard their police cracks down hard on this kind of stuff. Maybe such brutality is wrong, but I personally think this is even more so. Japan seems to have too much freedom and other Asian nations have too little - I really don't know which is the lesser or greater of two evils now..."


I like how most of your writing came from this Yahoo Answer page http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110907114151AAgNkMZ while I agree with some of the information I hope you're not trying to pass it off as your own.
Posted 2/15/12

KiteCross wrote:


Mangasurf wrote:

It's definitely a cultural thing, but i'm kind of appalled at immoral and disgusting images and writings in excess that they consider to be okay or tolerable. I've been to Yokosuka and Tokyo, Japan, and of course not all of it is as i say (most of the people there are very humble and kind), so don't be offended (I know America has its faults too, but i don't really see how they can compare).... but here is someone asking a similar question that deserves a heated debate.

"Why is Japanese culture so perverted and violent?
There's lots of...perversion in Japan and all, but it's a more subtle subculture...very silent and closeted in its trafficking and deviance. The bloody gore, rape and murder in manga is much more open, though. But the rest of Asia just doesn't seem like that at all - and I'm not sure why. Japan always does seem to be unique among all the Eastern nations, embracing that which would be considered truly disgusting by countries such as Korea, the Philippines, India, and China. I don't feel comfortable with their culture in its entirety...

And I mean, if you don't believe me or want evidence or specific examples of this, then just search something like "Shotacon" and "Lolicon" on Wikipedia (which was how I first read about this side of their culture), and something even called "Toddlercon", not to mention the incest in their comics. I've read in an U.N. article that the Japanese government refused to ban child pornography, and someone here even said something about a painting of a Japanese woman having sex with two octopi and posted this link: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Dream_of_the_fishermans_wife_hokusai.jpg

I strongly support freedom and democracy, and I do respect the fact that Japan on some level supports it as well (even if it was not initially chosen by their own people), but, seriously, there are dozens of Eastern cultures and societies, many of which are as democratic as the Japanese, and few seem to have such embedded perversion. I mean, in the Philippines, for example, at least you don't see used girls' panties sold in vending machines to pedophiles...

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it - I've grown up in both the West and the East, but this just confuses me. Do most Americans quietly tolerate such culture as well?

Additional Details
Well, just a note - I, for one, HAVE been to Japan, and it was not the most enjoyable of experiences, I must admit. But I've been there, which is admittedly more than most fans of Japan can say...

And I know the Communists in China, for example, are just horrible tyrants, yes - but at least I've heard their police cracks down hard on this kind of stuff. Maybe such brutality is wrong, but I personally think this is even more so. Japan seems to have too much freedom and other Asian nations have too little - I really don't know which is the lesser or greater of two evils now..."


I like how most of your writing came from this Yahoo Answer page http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110907114151AAgNkMZ while I agree with some of the information I hope you're not trying to pass it off as your own.


LOL.
85072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 2/15/12

eclair-lumiere wrote:
there are shops with porn mags not on the top shelf.
.


Ok not to get too far off topic but seriously Playboy sucks. If I want porn I don't want barely naked girls. Everything else you said was awesome but there is a difference from being sexually open minded and sexually perverted EX: rape, incest, and pedophilia are all not ok BTW buying those mags if your under 18 is harder than getting beer when you're under 21. Not really much point to them now considering the internet has all the good stuff for free nowadays.

Yeah Japan is great and since many of us are invested in the anime culture we might get a more askew view on the perversion than others (loli). To deny that there is perversion there (see above for perversion) is also wrong. So ... i totally forgot where I was going with this. LOL
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/15/12
read my original statement writing in red kind sir.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/15/12
@kitecross, what he said near perfectly summed up what i was asking as well, and if you read, i did claim that that was not me who wrote it.
Posted 2/15/12 , edited 2/15/12

Mangasurf wrote:

read my original statement writing in red kind sir.


But I want to know your own words in this particular matter Japan doesn't have the same Moral values as America but I want to
know what would someone like you who has strong moral values do? Oh and implying a source doesn't mean you're citing it, It's always safe to post a link.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/15/12

KiteCross wrote:


Mangasurf wrote:

read my original statement writing in red kind sir.


But I want to know your own words in this particular matter Japan doesn't have the same Moral values as America but I want to
know what would someone like you who has strong moral values do? Oh and implying a source doesn't mean you're citing it, It's always safe to post a link.


im all over this thread, you can see my standpoint there... i would continue backing up my opinions to show you, but i've gotta jet for now. ill be back though.
Posted 2/15/12
Sexuality in Japan is as diverse and weird as it is in America. In both countries you have some very very strange fetishes.

Many stereotype Japan for such things because that is what society has picked up and ran with. Why? I don't know. For every Perversion you find talked about or reported on in Japan you will just as many positive things, such as their culture.

Although even then I was shocked at some of the traditions that are still practiced today.

For example. Very young children in school will sometimes go topless (this is both boys and girls) to attain a certificate of recognition in their class. Why? It's one of those society things I guess. I can't call it but I was shocked when I watching a report on Japan.
45769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / pLaNeT eArTh???
Offline
Posted 2/15/12

funnyginsan wrote:


Yeah Japan is great and since many of us are invested in the anime culture we might get a more askew view on the perversion than others (loli).


I have to admit that I am more desensitized to most images today because I've pretty much encountered everything the mind can think of when you really delve into the anime culture. I may not personally like everything...but I am no longer shocked.

So maybe its not that they are ashamed, but more desensitized. We can watch an action movie and the first shot is always shocking and horrifying..but eventually we adapt to it. We may not like it, but we get used to it, and eventually come to expect more and more.

And taking the age of consent into question...If it is 13, than books or animes featuring sexual situations with teenagers won't be considered perverted but "natural" courses of life.

On the other hand Mangasurf you did mention you didn't like the underlying sexuality in much of their media. Now that is true. For series aimed at a market of girls under 13 is it necessary or proper to show "panty shots" or "naked transformations"? No. But why were those things so prevalent. I look at America's current media, and much of its all age media now has underlying sexual jokes and innuendos that a child shouldn't or wouldn't understand. Some argue that its to have small little tidbits for the parents watching, but its technically marketed at children.

So again...it's everywhere...and more countries are becoming more obvious with it, they're just more subtle than Japan.
kennk5 
60056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
66 / M / Milwaukee, Wiscon...
Offline
Posted 2/15/12
Most of my time in Japan was very enjoyable the first time. 1971- Before a lot of you were born.

And again in 1993 to install some welding equipment.
So many changes, some good, some bad. Tokoyo had become Japans New York
Not only used panties in those vending machines, but soiled panties @ 3 times the $.

Dont get me wrong, I love the culture & history.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 2/15/12


If you want porn you don't want barely naked girls.... ok..... I'm just gonna...back away slowly...and not talk to you anymore...
2855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 2/15/12
There's not much to debate here, you seem pretty closed minded. I bet you think all South Africans are black too, if you don't like the Japanese culture then do something simple: stay away from it. I don't go searching for lolicon or whatever but I don't really care either. Japan has a pretty low rape and crime rate so it's bullshit that you're now calling them "violent" and "perverted" you're pretty clearly judging from anime.
Posted 2/15/12 , edited 2/15/12
i dont no you have week sense of The bloody gore, rape and murder in manga at lest there not the country making move were they stitch peoples moths to peoples ass's The Human centipede now thats fucked up america at the end day there country probably think its milled and u don't here much that there's fucking nutty people over there in usa had it here u probably have some kid re atting it lol and maby there more grown up and in to there customs so its probably ok whith it

as well as the The Human centipede is well fucked up america
2nd film to be banned in my country xd last one was hit man
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.