First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Google's recent move to jeopardize Crunchyroll.
56203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 2/15/12 , edited 2/15/12
Crunchyroll like many other video sites gets a large quantity of in coming search engine traffic from Google's video search. As of now CR has 574,000 video results.

In a recent move by Google, the video search link has been replaced by "YouTube." The video search link is now hidden at the very bottom of the "other links." This means Crunchyroll will now have less incoming search traffic and as a result harm the site's revenue, which also means less anime and J-Drama for you guys.

I run a small site that is an affiliate for Crunchy. My site had 1500+ video results which have also been swept under the rug thanks to Google's recent move. I'm not sure what needs to be done, but I think it's coming to the point where small sites might have to group together to fight Google's recent greed.

If this move was in a result of SOPA. PIPA, and ACTA Google needs to rethink their strategy. As you guys can see the recent take down of Mega Upload and many other illegal streaming sites has started to harm the legit guys. This is a perfect example of how these acts, which mean good, actually are harming smaller sites.

Please, I ask Crunchyroll to take action to protect their rights and us fans. We have to act now to stop Google and other sites from censoring the web before it's too late.
Posted 2/15/12
Interesting, i hope the right people see this.

3032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Somewhere over th...
Offline
Posted 2/15/12

westnyorai wrote:

Crunchyroll like many other video sites gets a large quantity of in coming search engine traffic from Google's video search. As of now CR has 574,000 video results.

In a recent move by Google, the video search link has been replaced by "YouTube." The video search link is now hidden at the very bottom of the "other links." This means Crunchyroll will now have less incoming search traffic and as a result harm the site's revenue, which also means less anime and J-Drama for you guys.

I run a small site that is an affiliate for Crunchy. My site had 1500+ video results which have also been swept under the rug thanks to Google's recent move. I'm not sure what needs to be done, but I think it's coming to the point where small sites might have to group together to fight Google's recent greed.

If this move was in a result of SOPA. PIPA, and ACCTA Google needs to rethink their strategy. As you guys can see the recent take down of Mega Upload and many other illegal streaming sites has started to harm the legit guys. This is a perfect example of how these acts, which mean good, actually are harming smaller sites.

Please, I ask Crunchyroll to take action to protect their rights and us fans. We have to act now to stop Google and other sites from censoring the web before it's too late.

lol its ACTA not ACCTA
56203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 2/15/12
Thanks SushiBunny. *fixed*
58045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / California, USA.
Offline
Posted 2/15/12 , edited 2/16/12
Google doesn't need to worry about other websites, they are just trying to make it convenient for the user. When it's not doing that people will use something that does it better. IMO there doesn't seem to be any rights to protect, it actually sounds like you want google to lose their own rights. It's their search engine, they handle it the way they think works best. Free advertisement was just a bonus in the first place.

I also understand your concern but I don't agree that it's censorship, just the way they want to handle their own website.
38861 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/16/12 , edited 2/16/12
In the long run everyone is out for their own interests anyway, and those that aren't are Non-Profit.

But i do see your concern and it definitely does suck.
56203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 2/16/12
GrimCooler please look up antitrust law (aka Competition Law).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitrust

Acts like this can actually be considered illegal. The problem is that it's difficult to determine if it falls under antitrust. In this case it will likely go before a judge who will need to decide if it's illegal or not. There is a high chance that sites like Hulu will fight this to the bitter end and a good chance they will win. This could also be considered a restraint of trade which is another legal issue with businesses, but in this case it's most likely to just be antitrust.
Posted 2/16/12 , edited 2/16/12
Hmmm, I don't know just be careful several sites that I supported got closed and sued for different reasons.

Oh now I miss DetectiveConan.WS... very small community, 2 servers and got 600+ HD videos. We all chipped in to keep our servers up and was trying to open an online shop and got closed (not sure about the shop though). We don't even have a forum or it was barely used, we only got chatango.

Just do what you do best and your site will last long. Keep your users happy that's all I can think of.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 2/16/12

fATMASTURD wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know just be careful several sites that I supported got closed and sued for different reasons.

Oh now I miss DetectiveConan.WS... very small community, 2 servers and got 600+ HD videos. We all chipped in to keep our servers up and was trying to open an online shop and got closed (not sure about the shop though). We don't even have a forum or it was barely used, we only got chatango.

Just do what you do best and your site will last long. Keep your users happy that's all I can think of.



DetectiveConan.WS was my Crunchyroll back then.
I loved that site.



33165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/16/12
You realize google is its own company and is not obligated to do anything for anyone right? If they wanted to they could make every link on their site redirect to wherever they want it to just for shits and giggles. Its not their job to make things fair for everyone.
Posted 2/16/12

chrome_mist wrote:


fATMASTURD wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know just be careful several sites that I supported got closed and sued for different reasons.

Oh now I miss DetectiveConan.WS... very small community, 2 servers and got 600+ HD videos. We all chipped in to keep our servers up and was trying to open an online shop and got closed (not sure about the shop though). We don't even have a forum or it was barely used, we only got chatango.

Just do what you do best and your site will last long. Keep your users happy that's all I can think of.



DetectiveConan.WS was my Crunchyroll back then.
I loved that site.





Same here, now I'm kinda forced to stroll here.
Don't tell me you're one of the mods there?

61329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35
Offline
Posted 2/16/12
Doesn't Google own YouTube? So maybe it would be in their own best interests to promote their own site? It's not like they removed the video link, it's still there. Even when you run a search the "videos" link is on the left hand side easily accessible and defaulted to display results from any source.

Unless there is some law that says that search engines must be impartial and sort links in random order to give everyone a fair chance at people visiting their site.

All I see is that they added a search option for YouTube... so what... videos is still there... they also have a link that searches Google translate specifically... is that anti-trust because they don't have a babelfish link?

I also find it funny that I'm watching a show about conspiracy theories and how ridiculous they are at the moment of typing this... I'm 100% positive that Google did this to purposely screw over Crunchyroll since all of the content on CR is available on YouTube legally and Google finally wants their fair share... I'm also 110% certain that they did this to most of all screw over YOU.

Yes they should make a movie over this... it's totally SOPA PIPA ACTIVIA etc, aliens are probably involved too and if you type in Crunchyroll or westnyorai on Google black helicopters fly in, abduct you, show you a view of a JFK assassination from the viewpoint of the grassy knoll and what not...

Here is another interesting fact... I searched the term "gintama" on Google... I clicked on "Videos" which was on the menu bar of the left hand side of my screen after running the search... a Crunchyroll link came up 4th... when I searched "gintama" under videos on Bing.com... Crunchyroll didn't even show up on the first page of results.... the even creepier thing is... when I went to Yahoo and searched the SAME THING... Crunchyroll didn't appear on the first page of results either.

You're right... this is bigger than all of us... it's not just Google keeping their Video search link and adding a YouTube link... but Microsoft and Yahoo are in on this too... they don't even display results for CR in their first page!! Google is just trying to keep us off the scent by allowing us to search videos as always and keeping CR up there in the results... but you found them out.

This site is doomed... inb4 CR 404's....
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 2/16/12

fATMASTURD wrote:

Same here, now I'm kinda forced to stroll here.
Don't tell me you're one of the mods there?




No I wasn't. But I remember chatting with the other regulars there.
I forgot what name I used.



49145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 2/16/12

Kokashiba wrote:

You realize google is its own company and is not obligated to do anything for anyone right? If they wanted to they could make every link on their site redirect to wherever they want it to just for shits and giggles. Its not their job to make things fair for everyone.


Did you miss the anti trust reference earlier? They're obligated to do many different things for many different people, not the least of whom are their competitors. They're obligated to provide a certain level of working conditions, wage requirements, they even pay money in the form of something called taxes, and we all know companies like to keep their money. Kids these days....
33165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/16/12

jdolla351 wrote:


Kokashiba wrote:

You realize google is its own company and is not obligated to do anything for anyone right? If they wanted to they could make every link on their site redirect to wherever they want it to just for shits and giggles. Its not their job to make things fair for everyone.


Did you miss the anti trust reference earlier? They're obligated to do many different things for many different people, not the least of whom are their competitors. They're obligated to provide a certain level of working conditions, wage requirements, they even pay money in the form of something called taxes, and we all know companies like to keep their money. Kids these days....


Yes, lets take a post completely at face value rather than out of the context of the discussion. That'll make you appear edgy with a nice dry wit. A real university level debater right here.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.