Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
For everybody: what does being an atheist mean to YOU?
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 3/3/12

qweruiop wrote:


longfenglim wrote:


xXGintamaXx wrote:

or at least, until they ask me what belief I am.


'...or at least until they ask my what what my beliefs are.'

You are not a belief. You are a person, who has a beliefs.


When you point one finger at someone, remember that three fingers are pointing right back at you.



longfenglim wrote:


xXGintamaXx wrote:

Then they just go apecrap. Example of a actual experience of mine:


'...crazy.'

Apecrap is not a word.

'...Example of an actual experience of mine...'


What about this Example of your actual experience? How does it relate to the topic at hand? Do you mean that you wish to give us a sampling of your life, and therefore want to give us an experience from it, as a sort of vignette? Or do you mean to show us the dispicable character of an atheist using an actual experience from your life?



*despicable

Sorry to do that to you, but I couldn't resist.


Amended.
2106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guess
Offline
Posted 3/3/12

amersfoort wrote:

I'll try to answer this great question from my own (atheistic) point of view.

For me, I see atheism as an instrument for finding the objective truth.


What is an objective truth? All truths, by the nature of being true, and, thus, true universally, is objective and beyond the opinion of the individual. Given this, can we not make the same argument for Religion, for Faith, for belief in God, for the Holy Evangels and Revelations of Scripture, all that? Are they not 'instrument for finding the objective truth', which appears in the form of the Almighty? Certainly you may argue that their God is not true, and only through the mightly light of skeptical inquiry can we percieve any semblance of truth, but, cannot such logic be applied in reverse, that is, that human reason, fallibile as it is, cannot percieve the great truth of the Divine, and that human skeptical inquiry is, like all things human, limited and unable to comprehend the Universal Truth, that is the divine mysteries, workings, and existence of God. All Faiths requires a Great, Universal Truth that only it is privy to, and through this Faith, and this Faith alone, can one ever hope to reach some semblance of it. Thus, what then is the line that seperates a Belief system, say, as Christianity, and Atheism?



amersfoort wrote:
Atheism always inspires me to think through many actions, when ether they are actions from nature or my fellow human beings.
It also pushes me to do good, to get the most out of this life, to make sure all of humanity can enjoy the single life they have.


Many Christians, Buddhists, Mahometans, Jews, Hindoos, etc., have been seized by similar thralls of religious compassion for their fellow man, to think of the greater good, to charity, to alms, to profound sympathy and love for the suffering, and spurn them to do good, to try and alliviate suffering.


amersfoort wrote:
Not only that but i consider it my duty and other atheists duty to always aim for these goals of discovery, truth and happiness.


These goals are goals of almost every religious faith.


amersfoort wrote:
I am honestly convinced that only atheist/atheism, have/has the ability to reach that all for the entirety of humanity. (even though our species is capable of doing terrible things)


Every faith thinks itself the only possible agent for peace.


amersfoort wrote:
For me, being an atheist simply fills me with joy, I can see the beauty of nature, the universe and other humans.
Of course the bad part about atheism is that I cannot see eternal life, or some other fairy tale like that, and death frightens me an aw full lot, but why should I waste the single life I have being afraid of death?

So yeah, I'm glad I can see the beauty of life, nature and the universe, I'm glad I don't see my fellow human beings as sinners and evil doers, I'm glad that I do not live in a world where I'm constantly supervised and judged by a celestial dictatorship that shrinks the likes of North Korea (where you at least can die in order to escape), and I'm glad that after I die I don't have to either praise the celestial dictator for eternity or get tortured for eternity.



Your discription, it seems to me, differs very little from other Religions and Belief Systems, such as Christianity- for you, Atheism offer a pathway to salvation and access to the Great and Universal True, through diligent cultivation, you may peek into the profound light of the Objective Truths- while you may object in saying that Atheism does not provide or hint to know it, you, nevertheless, showed us that you consider it the road to it, and indeed, you seem sure that it is the only road. You also exprest belief that this Atheism of yours would lead to universal peace, and man will learn to love one another, yet that is the promise of most Religion as well, Christianity, for example, justified its proselyting as not only spreading the Truth, but also encouraging universal love and peace. Furthermore, you claim that Atheism lead to a profound love of nature- would not the Christian argue the same of their faith, that the knowledge that God, who is mighty, created all around us, from the lowiest of earthworm to the highest angel, and, even in the sea and land, yea, the Mighty Liviathan and Behemoth, all this, should we not admire nature, from those divine and perfect hands, who have molded everything, and made all things perfect and beautiful in its own way. You are glad that there is nothing to shrink from, no mighty Gods who, like wanton boys to flies, kills us for sport, but all religion claim that their faith is better than their rival's, because their God is less Cruel, less Capricious, and less Volatile than their opponents. You may offer no God in their place, but a Universal Truth, an Objective Truth, that only Atheism can lead to, just as the religions offer God as the Ultimate Truth, and theirs is the only pathway that may lead men to its realisation. Your atheism seems more like a Religion that rejects all others, to supersede all warblers here below, and one that is, to be sure, without God, but a religion none the less.
Posted 3/3/12




This symbol represents questioning. Maybe you find it striking in a way. It appears to challenge Christianity by the obvious shape of a cross it takes on, but I think it challenges all theological ideas. I thought I'd share it.

I agree with religion's incapability of withstanding scientific hypothesis. Without any material evidence, it is immediately dismissed as a false claim. People can remake the ideas of faith all they want, yet all this will do is attempt selling the same thing. And capitalism surely has fattened itself on irrational ideas such as marriage, where lawyers may feed on the naive who think love lasts forever in monogamous relationships. Science has proven that love is based on the effects of the hormone oxytocin on the mind, and people perceive the world as a much more wonderful place than it really is while in love. Doesn't mean that people shouldn't fall in love and enjoy the positive side of it, but it should come with a warning label stating the changes which resemble a mental illness.
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 3/4/12

longfenglim wrote:


amersfoort wrote:

I'll try to answer this great question from my own (atheistic) point of view.

For me, I see atheism as an instrument for finding the objective truth.


What is an objective truth? All truths, by the nature of being true, and, thus, true universally, is objective and beyond the opinion of the individual. Given this, can we not make the same argument for Religion, for Faith, for belief in God, for the Holy Evangels and Revelations of Scripture, all that? Are they not 'instrument for finding the objective truth', which appears in the form of the Almighty? Certainly you may argue that their God is not true, and only through the mightly light of skeptical inquiry can we percieve any semblance of truth, but, cannot such logic be applied in reverse, that is, that human reason, fallibile as it is, cannot percieve the great truth of the Divine, and that human skeptical inquiry is, like all things human, limited and unable to comprehend the Universal Truth, that is the divine mysteries, workings, and existence of God. All Faiths requires a Great, Universal Truth that only it is privy to, and through this Faith, and this Faith alone, can one ever hope to reach some semblance of it. Thus, what then is the line that seperates a Belief system, say, as Christianity, and Atheism?



amersfoort wrote:
Atheism always inspires me to think through many actions, when ether they are actions from nature or my fellow human beings.
It also pushes me to do good, to get the most out of this life, to make sure all of humanity can enjoy the single life they have.


Many Christians, Buddhists, Mahometans, Jews, Hindoos, etc., have been seized by similar thralls of religious compassion for their fellow man, to think of the greater good, to charity, to alms, to profound sympathy and love for the suffering, and spurn them to do good, to try and alliviate suffering.


amersfoort wrote:
Not only that but i consider it my duty and other atheists duty to always aim for these goals of discovery, truth and happiness.


These goals are goals of almost every religious faith.


amersfoort wrote:
I am honestly convinced that only atheist/atheism, have/has the ability to reach that all for the entirety of humanity. (even though our species is capable of doing terrible things)


Every faith thinks itself the only possible agent for peace.


amersfoort wrote:
For me, being an atheist simply fills me with joy, I can see the beauty of nature, the universe and other humans.
Of course the bad part about atheism is that I cannot see eternal life, or some other fairy tale like that, and death frightens me an aw full lot, but why should I waste the single life I have being afraid of death?

So yeah, I'm glad I can see the beauty of life, nature and the universe, I'm glad I don't see my fellow human beings as sinners and evil doers, I'm glad that I do not live in a world where I'm constantly supervised and judged by a celestial dictatorship that shrinks the likes of North Korea (where you at least can die in order to escape), and I'm glad that after I die I don't have to either praise the celestial dictator for eternity or get tortured for eternity.



Your discription, it seems to me, differs very little from other Religions and Belief Systems, such as Christianity- for you, Atheism offer a pathway to salvation and access to the Great and Universal True, through diligent cultivation, you may peek into the profound light of the Objective Truths- while you may object in saying that Atheism does not provide or hint to know it, you, nevertheless, showed us that you consider it the road to it, and indeed, you seem sure that it is the only road. You also exprest belief that this Atheism of yours would lead to universal peace, and man will learn to love one another, yet that is the promise of most Religion as well, Christianity, for example, justified its proselyting as not only spreading the Truth, but also encouraging universal love and peace. Furthermore, you claim that Atheism lead to a profound love of nature- would not the Christian argue the same of their faith, that the knowledge that God, who is mighty, created all around us, from the lowiest of earthworm to the highest angel, and, even in the sea and land, yea, the Mighty Liviathan and Behemoth, all this, should we not admire nature, from those divine and perfect hands, who have molded everything, and made all things perfect and beautiful in its own way. You are glad that there is nothing to shrink from, no mighty Gods who, like wanton boys to flies, kills us for sport, but all religion claim that their faith is better than their rival's, because their God is less Cruel, less Capricious, and less Volatile than their opponents. You may offer no God in their place, but a Universal Truth, an Objective Truth, that only Atheism can lead to, just as the religions offer God as the Ultimate Truth, and theirs is the only pathway that may lead men to its realisation. Your atheism seems more like a Religion that rejects all others, to supersede all warblers here below, and one that is, to be sure, without God, but a religion none the less.



After re-reading my own post, I must agree that it sounds quite religious, nevertheless I almost competely agree with what I posted, and I shall now try to explain myself further in the best way I can.
Indeed my statement about objective truth is a very vague one, and does sound like some kind of deity, But what I mean with it is perhaps more simple than I made it sound. I mean with it (objective truth) research and knowledge about everything that surrounds us, from the human psyche to the minds of jellyfish, from the geological strucutre and depth of our earth, to the structure of the suns atmosphere, from the origin of life to the deepest part of a black hole. This all with the reasons of wanting to know more and to understand more.
I hope this makes my statement slightly clearer, and that this slightly explains your question.

I see how my phylosophy shows many simmilarities to that of many christians, muslims, hindoos, jews, etc. That they too, find motivation and inspiration in their faiths to help out their fellow human beings. I guess in this, my inspiration through atheism (and nihilism, humanism and pacifism) doesn't differ much from many theists that gain their inspiration through their faith.
I do not consider this a bad thing, in fact, I see this as one of the positive sides of religions, and I feel no shame in sharing simmilarities in this subject with them.

Now, perhaps I sounded too positive in my statement in wich I claimed that I believe that atheism is a way through peace, this is wrong.
And very wrong if I say myself. Not atheism is a way through peace, but several other phylosophies are. I do however, believe that atheism would speed up this process. But no, atheism is not the single possible agent, and perhaps not even the best, to aquire global peace, my apologies for this arrogant statement.

The point you make that to you, it seems that I believe that atheism for me leads to ''salvation'', I know unfortunatly nothing about salvation ( I think it means something like: being saved from x). For me, I feel that there is nothing to be saved from ( in the spiritual sense, ofcourse there are things people should be saved from but that's a whole other story).

Now, in my statement I do not claim that only atheism can show you the beauty of nature and the universe, I only claim that atheism for me, makes it possible to enjoy beauty, I can perfectly understand how a theist would appriciate the same because he/she considers it to be made by a god.

Now to compare my atheism to an actual religion slightly offends me, I do infact reject all religions, I am after all, an atheist.
Not only that, but you imply that I am selling my atheism as something that is less cruel than the already existing religions, I say no such thing, infact nature is known to be cruel. However, I express my gratitude that atleast in nature cruelty can be explained and understood, and with monotheism it (well it can be explained) cannot be understood.

Again, I understand that my post might seemed quite out of the ordinary, and for that I am slightly embarrased.
But to compare it to a religion in my eyes is completely ridiculous (just like my claim that atheism is the only agent that can lead to peace). It is nothing like a religion simply because of the lack of a belief, but also because it is something completely individual and has no rituals what so ever.

But now that you hav e received a fuller explanation of my views, would you mind sharing yours with me?

So again,, I'm glad I don't see my fellow human beings as sinners and evil doers, I'm glad that I do not live in a world where I'm constantly supervised and judged by a celestial dictatorship that shrinks the likes of North Korea (where you at least can die in order to escape), and I'm glad that after I die I don't have to either praise the celestial dictator for eternity or get tortured for eternity.
1130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / World Wide Web
Offline
Posted 3/5/12
I see myself as an atheist and a naturalistic pantheist since I have no belief in god in any form way or function but see nature as source and necessity for existence.
An atheist is someone with no belief is any god/deity or supernatural force.
But there are many views that deny god in some way; atheism is only one of them.
Apathism is disregard, apathy and/or disbelief in god when concerning one’s own existence.
An antitheist is someone who denies the existence of one god (for example polytheism is not atheistic but it is antitheistic, same goes for pantheism)
Naturalistic Pantheism shows reverence to the universe and nature and embraces realism, rationalism and science and does not believe in a creator deity other then nature. The difference to atheism is minimal.

And I guess thing is that you can be several of these things at the same time therefore I see the term atheism as slightly limited.

32100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Indianapolis, IN
Offline
Posted 3/12/12
What does an athiest mean to me? A foundation to find yourself and your true path. A belief system doesn't work. It is programmed into people where that's all they know. Finding the big picture on philosophy, studying various belief systems and learning from them to develop the direction for what is right for you will lead to a positive conclusion for an individual. If it is concluded to the person that there is no god, then there you go.
97 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / R'lyeh
Offline
Posted 3/13/12
I was a Hindu by birth which pretty much means i have to worship dossens of gods and religious figures. I was a over the top religious kid. I used to pray 2 times a day and fast every tuesday. Then as i grew up i began to realize that i should make my own guidelines instead of following some thousand year old books. I am not saying they are wrong i am just saying they should be updated. Prince Rama is long gone and praying to him is of no use now.instead help our environment and our fellow creatures and stop waging freaking wars!
Posted 3/13/12

Cthulu wrote:

I was a Hindu by birth which pretty much means i have to worship dossens of gods and religious figures. I was a over the top religious kid. I used to pray 2 times a day and fast every tuesday. Then as i grew up i began to realize that i should make my own guidelines instead of following some thousand year old books. I am not saying they are wrong i am just saying they should be updated. Prince Rama is long gone and praying to him is of no use now.instead help our environment and our fellow creatures and stop waging freaking wars!


Just curious, does Azathoth strike you as more similar to Brahman, or more like Shiva?

Yeah, this is actually a debate I've gotten into with my dorky friends...One of them claims that HPL designed the Azathoth/Nyarlathotep/Cthulhu trinity to be like a very messed up version of Brahman-Vishnu-Shiva, but to me, Azathoth is far too local and embodied to be Brahman, and the spiraling and musical imagery (As chaotic as it may be) is very much like a twisted and entirely eschatological version of Shiva. Then when you look at certain early 20th century scholarly treatises on Hindu mythology, and translations of Hindu scripture and mythological stories, the existence of some degree of inspiration or seeding of imagery seems quite possible.

Care to weigh in?



97 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / R'lyeh
Offline
Posted 3/14/12
@Blacula:To me Azathoth is more like shiva the destroyer.. After all its shiva who is considered to be destroyer of all the creations. He does a "Tandav nritya" a type of dance to destroy all creation so can Bhrama can recreate the earth.
Posted 3/14/12
To me, being an atheist is having an incorrect perspective on the subject of God.
1056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/12
Atheism is a disbelief in god(s). It doesn't have any other 'properties' attached to it.

So to answer to your question: it has no meaning other than rejection of the idea of god(s). It has absolutely no impact on my life or whatsoever.

I like to use this example: I'm an atheist to Thor for example, what does that mean to me? Absolutely NOTHING, just that I don't have any compelling reasons to think he exists etc...
338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

xXGintamaXx wrote:

Well, from what I know, Atheism is just someone who doesn't believe in a god or anything. Most of the time their angry for no reason, or at least, until they ask me what belief I am. Then they just go apecrap. Example of a actual experience of mine:

Me and guy start off in normal conversation. Ya know, just talking about stuff.

Me: Yeah I like to play games and stuff and anime.

Guy: Oh cool.

Thhheeeen he ask the question, mine you up until now, there was not a single peep of religion of any sort.

Guy: So what are you?

Me: A Christain. You?

Guy: -insert random cussing and blabblering here along with childish remarks-

Me: o_o;; Uhhh oookay, gonna go now. kbai.

But that is about it, I'm sure it goes deeper though.


How rude of them. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that.
Posted 3/18/12
Doesn't probably believe in god.. Someone who doesn't like Religion ?
338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

hellgirl- wrote:

Doesn't probably believe in god.. Someone who doesn't like Religion ?


That's the gist of it.
Posted 3/18/12
Most probably.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.