First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
For everybody: what does being an atheist mean to YOU?
3601 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / philippinEs...
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
well, basically atheism or rather atheists do not believe in God or any higher being.
i'm cool with it, i just don't know why others are not

but then i think being an atheist doesn't mean that they don't agree with some of the values or principles presented by religious groups. like for example, Jesus--they don't believe of His existence but that doesn't mean they also don't agree with his teachings--like: honor your parents, don't commit murder or go stealing someone else's property.

i for one is an Anglican not a Buddhist but i definitely agree with their "living in simplicity".
352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/20/12

specks wrote:

to me, atheism means a one way ticket to a dark eternity.


Not really scaring us with the whole "hell" nonsense.
240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 3/21/12
Lala is not really sure if she is an atheist or an agnostic. ^-^
1056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/12

LalaSatalin wrote:

Lala is not really sure if she is an atheist or an agnostic. ^-^


Good news, you can be both. Atheism is a disbelief in a deity. Agnosticism on the other hand is a claim on lack of knowledge whether gods (in this case) exist or not. People tend to misuse this word like craazy. To put them together agnostic atheism is disbelief in gods where you don't claim to know (knowledge) whether gods exist or not.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NJ, US
Offline
Posted 3/22/12
Atheism to me means that one does not accept any form of deity or higher power in the universe and does not accept any belief of afterlife of soul/spirit. An atheist believes that life is purely biological. From my experiences with people online and people in real life, I've found that Atheist often tend to be outrageously disrespectful to those of other religions and hold themselves to a higher standard than they do anyone who believes in a religion. Believe me, I understand that not all atheists are like this, but I think that too many atheists are condescending of those who do have religious beliefs. On the other hand, many religious people are disrespectful to others and do horrible things to other people claiming they are doing God's work, when in reality, they are just disgusting people. I think that the difference, though, is that and Atheist will own up to the fact that he is an asshole. A religious person, will let their "God" take responsibility for the horribleness.

I am a deist, but I have no stance for or against any organized religion. I believe that people do have souls or some form of higher consciousness and that our soul is affected by whatever it is we personally belief, so we essentially control our own fate.
132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 3/22/12


Deist! Yeah!
I've always found that it's really hard to hold up in arguments from a Deist perspective against Atheism using reason alone, and not a mere belief I often turn to like 'I couldn't imagine this world not having been created' or 'I just believe that something, whether it be a physical God, a multiverse, or the something else must have been and always will be eternal, etc' The 5 proofs help somewhat, but half of them fall apart like paper. I seem to have 'belief' in Deistic principles when I despise faith (belief without reason). However, I can destroy Theistic arguments easily. o.0 What do you do?
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NJ, US
Offline
Posted 3/22/12


I don't really argue my beliefs. I don't really have a problem with organized religion, I just don't follow. I think that everyone has a right to believe whatever they want to and like I said earlier, I really don't like that many Atheists are so disrespectful towards people with strong religious beliefs. I don't believe in any of those religions, but I do have a lot of respect for them.

As for defending my own deistic views, I have enough faith in my own beliefs that I really don't find it necessary to try to back them up. If someone questions it, I just tell them that it's what I believe. Because I believe it, it is true to me. I believe that truth is subjective and it's the belief in something that makes it true. This is why I also choose to respect other religions; I may not believe them, but for every person who does, it is truth. I have no interest in destroying theistic arguments. I only have a problem with the way people "carry out" their religions, not the actual religions themselves. The people that harass women who are considering abortion, or the family of a gay man who died at war, or the Muslim woman at the store - I would consider these people to be religious extremists, and I consider them to be violent. This is what I have a problem with, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Actually, I don't really ever find myself in a situation where I'd feel that I'd have to defend my own beliefs. Do you find yourself in religious arguments with others often?
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 3/23/12

MilianViolet wrote:

Atheism to me means that one does not accept any form of deity or higher power in the universe and does not accept any belief of afterlife of soul/spirit. An atheist believes that life is purely biological. From my experiences with people online and people in real life, I've found that Atheist often tend to be outrageously disrespectful to those of other religions and hold themselves to a higher standard than they do anyone who believes in a religion. Believe me, I understand that not all atheists are like this, but I think that too many atheists are condescending of those who do have religious beliefs. On the other hand, many religious people are disrespectful to others and do horrible things to other people claiming they are doing God's work, when in reality, they are just disgusting people. I think that the difference, though, is that and Atheist will own up to the fact that he is an asshole. A religious person, will let their "God" take responsibility for the horribleness.

I am a deist, but I have no stance for or against any organized religion. I believe that people do have souls or some form of higher consciousness and that our soul is affected by whatever it is we personally belief, so we essentially control our own fate.


Now in this post you claim that most atheists are ''outrageously disrespectfull'' to those who do believe in deitys, and I am here as an atheist to confirm that, and also to explain that behaviour.

I personally have several reasons why I do not respect any religious person, one of those is that they never seem to respect me.
Most monotheistic religions (and religious people) claim that the only way of being a ''good'' person is by accepting their prophet or god, (muhammed, jezus, Joseph Smith, Jaweh, Allah) and that in most cases, not accepting those means eternity in hell. They basically tell me that no matter what I think or do, I'll never be a good person, now of course I don't believe in that, but being told you are evil/wicked/bad/immoral/stupid can still slightly sting. (seeing as it comes from such people)
Now this isn't exactely showing me respect now is it? Infact, it's telling me I'll never be as super special awesome as they are, unless I believe exactely what they tell me. Now those people can talk down like that to their sheep all they want, but I will not be talked to in that way, and I shall show no curtesy, respect or appriciation towards those who do.
Now you might say: not all religious people say that. Well this is true, but they do believe it. Infact it is teached to christians in the bible. Psalm 14:1 and 53:1 say “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’” , Now the worst part of this isn't that am I called a fool, it doesn't attack my intelligence, but rather my morality, the words is translated from the hebrew word ''nabal'' wich referrs to ''moral fool''.

Now the people that have gone on crusades, witch hunts, genocide (amalekites), wars, inquisitions, denyal of rights (blacks, women, gays), terrorist attacks (9/11), genital mutilation and many many more atrocities, tell me, that I am infact immoral and despicable, I will not stand for that, And never will.

When a danish cartoonists makes a cartoon of a holy prophet, and then gets threatend by 1 billion people, where is the respect in that? When the pope says that atheistic regimes have caused millions of deaths (by claiming that stalin, hitler, polpot were atheists, wich they where not.), and thus tries to proove that atheists should not be in control, where is the respect in that?

Now that is not my only reason to disrespect religious people, no unfortunatly that not alone.
The extent to wich science has to go, to either conduct research or to present it as a truth is never enough, young earth creatonists and deniers of evolution still hold high positions everywhere, infact as we speek Rick Sanatorum, a young earth creationist and climate change denier is running hoping on becoming the US next president.
People of such stupidity and such ignorance are supposed to be running a country, get to make decisions over important and possibly dangerous political events and foreign affairs? How is this not an insult to any educated individual? No, the fact that those people get to decide what others should do is absurb, idiotic and dangerous.

Religion clearly stands in the way of scientific and human progress, and is always proud of doing so, if it was up to religion we would still believe the earth is flat and the universe revolves around earth.
They keep us stupid, and they will always keep trying to do so, wich is another reason I do not respect anyone who says ''I am a person of faith''.
Well you know, I say that wrong, I do respect them as a person, I wont start to call them names, or laugh at them, but I do not respect their beliefs.

Now I can go on much longer on why I do not respect religion or religious ideas (and I will if you want me to), but for me, these are reasons enough to be ''outrageously disrespectfull'' in a high standard, and I will continue to do so.






27 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 3/23/12
To the person who commented before me:
I know you have made your feelings regarding very clear but I still feel a need to defend my own so I just want to say something.

Regarding your opinion on monotheistic religions:
According to my religion a person can be good despite not being of my religion. In fact it says that everyone is born good and remains good until they are diverted away from goodness by society.
However, it is also a requirement for a person of good nature and conduct to have faith in the Creator (and alto of other things) in order to be able to enter heaven.

Good people who have remained completely ignorant (not out of their own lack of curiosity but due to isolation from knowledge) will also be able to enter heaven because it's not their fault they didn't know.

Furthermore, anyone with belief in the Creator even the weight of an atom Will have the possibility of going to heaven provided that's the Creator's will.

Religion in itself is not a bad thing but when misrepresented and adulterated by selfish human rules leads to the birth of aitheists.

Regarding the Danish cartoonist:
Wasn't it more disrespectful to make a caricature in the first place?

To the person who started this thread:
According to the orators of my religion, aitheism is the first step towards accepting my religion because of the two key requirements for entering my religion the first is fulfilled by all aitheist, i.e to proclaim that there is no god.

My personal opinion, regarding aitheism is that it's an institution without hope. What I mean to say is that the world is a pretty bad places as it is not to mention completely unfair. Without rules and regulations nothing can function properly and religion provides both the hope for justice and the rules to live a progressive and product life by for all living beings and doesn't just benifit only a small portion of society.

Regarding aitheists, I understand why people choose aitheism over religion, but I don't have anything against them. People require a religion which is both spiritually and scientifically (and whatever else the future brings) accurate, but most people aren't given the proof of it so they end up denying the existance of a Creator altoghether.
1056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/23/12

menog23 wrote:



TL:DR: Read bold texts

The OP's question is flawed. This leads to the messy misunderstanding of the atheistic position.

Atheism is simply a disbelief in god(s). Atheism doesn't define a person. Being an atheist is like not believing Thor is real. I'm aThor, but that doesn't define who I am. Other things define me, my philosophy on life, my actions etc.

To complicate thing, people who were theistic then change to atheism though, in this case being an atheist means a world to them. It's like you believe Thor is real for half of your life and now you don't, now that has a lot of effects. Like realizing thunder is not caused by Mjölnir etc. After awhile though, you will realize being an atheist doesn't define anything about you either.

Get definition straight people, otherwise this will lead to a serious misunderstanding. This should be obvious enough, if not I can give an example.

Theos mean god(s). ------------------------- ( A- means without)
Theism means belief in god(s). ---------- Atheist means without a belief in god(s).
6268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 3/24/12

menog23 wrote:

To the person who commented before me:
I know you have made your feelings regarding very clear but I still feel a need to defend my own so I just want to say something.

Regarding your opinion on monotheistic religions:
According to my religion a person can be good despite not being of my religion. In fact it says that everyone is born good and remains good until they are diverted away from goodness by society.
However, it is also a requirement for a person of good nature and conduct to have faith in the Creator (and alto of other things) in order to be able to enter heaven.

Good people who have remained completely ignorant (not out of their own lack of curiosity but due to isolation from knowledge) will also be able to enter heaven because it's not their fault they didn't know.

Furthermore, anyone with belief in the Creator even the weight of an atom Will have the possibility of going to heaven provided that's the Creator's will.

Religion in itself is not a bad thing but when misrepresented and adulterated by selfish human rules leads to the birth of aitheists.

Regarding the Danish cartoonist:
Wasn't it more disrespectful to make a caricature in the first place?


To the person who started this thread:
According to the orators of my religion, aitheism is the first step towards accepting my religion because of the two key requirements for entering my religion the first is fulfilled by all aitheist, i.e to proclaim that there is no god.

My personal opinion, regarding aitheism is that it's an institution without hope. What I mean to say is that the world is a pretty bad places as it is not to mention completely unfair. Without rules and regulations nothing can function properly and religion provides both the hope for justice and the rules to live a progressive and product life by for all living beings and doesn't just benifit only a small portion of society.

Regarding aitheists, I understand why people choose aitheism over religion, but I don't have anything against them. People require a religion which is both spiritually and scientifically (and whatever else the future brings) accurate, but most people aren't given the proof of it so they end up denying the existance of a Creator altoghether.


Do you not see the cruelty of your own view? If someone has been shown the possibility of your religion, but doesn't believe it because it lacks factual evidence (it does.), yet he/she goes on to cure let's see, aids. The person lives his/her entire life good, and he/she cures aids, no entering heaven for that person though. And you? What do you have to show for yourself? Ohh do believe in god and lived an average life, didn't cure anything, but you believed, good enough for me, welcome in heaven.
Now I don't actually have a problem with this, because I don't believe in heaven, however, I do see the discrimination in your philosophy and it just infuriates me.

Now you claim that atheists are born because of religions go wrong, well no such thing counts for me, I have never seen, read or heard of evidence pointing out that there is a god, why? Because there is none.
As I said in my post, there are many reasons why I am an atheist, and that also counts for other atheists, some of course are atheists because they find the history of religion immoral and dangerous, but many see no reason for a god to exist.
So believe me, your reason for atheists coming to existance is a very small one.

Now sure it was disrespectfull off the danish cartoonist to make that caricature, and a ''equally'' disrespectfull act from the offended parties would be a cartoon as well. However the reaction were death threaths, riots, bombings and of course many more atrocities, to even try and justify this by saying ''well the danish started it'' is insane.

And as a reply to your last sentence: Science and religion do not go together! there will never be a god worshipping religion that is scientificly accurate.

If religion had any scientific evidence, you wouldn't need to have faith in the religion/scriptures. You don't have faith in evidence, allow me to explain that.
If a person is shot, and the weapon found has fingerprints on it, you don't have ''faith'' that in those fingerprints, there are simply fingerprints on the gun. So if there actually was evidence for any religion, that religion wouldn't require to have faith in it any longer.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NJ, US
Offline
Posted 3/24/12


Would you really never respect any religious person? Even if most religious people seem that they don't respect you, every person should be looked at as an individual person, not just a member of a religious community. Just because someone is a person of faith, it doesn't mean that they follow every single thing that is in the bible (or whatever their particular religious writings may be) word for word. Actually, I think it is rarely that case that a religious person does follow the writings word for word. Nearly all of my good friends have always happened to be Christian. Pretty devout Christians, actually. Even when i was an atheist, my friends may have believed I was going to Hell, but never considered me as someone who was morally corrupt or someone who wasn't a good person, and since I don't even believe in Hell, I have no problems with this.

Now, I know that there are some religious retards (for lack of a better word) who would call you immoral and a horrible person. I, myself, have experienced such judgments based solely on the fact that I am not Christian, but how is that any different from you saying that just because a person is religious, they must be stupid and they are not educated. Even I, as a non-religious, smart individual am insulted by this inaccurate generalization. I know many religious people who have no problem with scientific advancement. I know religious people who are support the idea of stem cell research. There are religious people who do believe in evolution. There are religious people who make contributions to the scientific field. I have Christian friends who support gay rights. Many of the religious people I know are not proud of the fact that religious leaders stand in the way of scientific advancement that could save lives. Believe it or not, most religious people are actually not mad crusaders, full of hatred and out to destroy all evil deviants that stray from the righteous path of God.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NJ, US
Offline
Posted 3/24/12

menog23 wrote:

Religion in itself is not a bad thing but when misrepresented and adulterated by selfish human rules leads to the birth of aitheists.

.


Actually, if you look at history, what gave birth to Atheism was not misrepresented religion; it was scientific advancement, education, and reason. The first real, outspoken Atheists were highly educated deep thinkers around the time of the scientific revolution who viewed the world with reason. They understood religion, they just didn't understand it. There were actually many people who secretly questioned religion before this (these beliefs were discovered in personal writings or accounts from close friends and such) but none who ever actually spoke out against religion.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NJ, US
Offline
Posted 3/24/12

Traiano wrote:


menog23 wrote:



TL:DR: Read bold texts

The OP's question is flawed. This leads to the messy misunderstanding of the atheistic position.

Atheism is simply a disbelief in god(s). Atheism doesn't define a person. Being an atheist is like not believing Thor is real. I'm aThor, but that doesn't define who I am. Other things define me, my philosophy on life, my actions etc.

To complicate thing, people who were theistic then change to atheism though, in this case being an atheist means a world to them. It's like you believe Thor is real for half of your life and now you don't, now that has a lot of effects. Like realizing thunder is not caused by Mjölnir etc. After awhile though, you will realize being an atheist doesn't define anything about you either.

Get definition straight people, otherwise this will lead to a serious misunderstanding. This should be obvious enough, if not I can give an example.

Theos mean god(s). ------------------------- ( A- means without)
Theism means belief in god(s). ---------- Atheist means without a belief in god(s).


I think it's obvious that she didn't mean to ask for the definition of Atheism. As with almost all beliefs (religious or otherwise) many people may interpret Atheism differently which is why she didn't just Google the definition of Atheism. That's why she asked, "...from your perspective what's the meaning of atheism...?" I think most people know the definition, but they may interpret it a it differently.
1056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 3/24/12

MilianViolet wrote:

Yes, OP clarified on the first and second page. I actually agree with the OP that people don't know what atheism is and tend to interpret it with their own meanings.

Also while you're here. I'd argue you misunderstand what atheism actually mean. You state here:

Atheism to me means that one does not accept any form of deity or higher power in the universe and does not accept any belief of afterlife of soul/spirit. An atheist believes that life is purely biological.


What you think something means has no effect whatsoever on what it means (this is my/OP's point).
My relatives are living testaments why your meaning of atheism is wrong. They are atheists but they believe in spirits/soul/afterlife and reincarnation. Hint they are Buddhists.

An example to clarify my point again. Let's say we're talking about a cat.
Person A asks: how many legs does a cat have?
Person B answers: a cat has 2 legs.
Person A: that's wrong! A cat has 4 legs, here is a definition of a cat.
Person B: whatever! A cat means to me a being with 2 legs and 3 tails.

Before the nitpicking team jumps in I'd like to say yes, a cat could have 3 legs if it was injured etc but Person A didn't ask how many legs does an injured cat has. Also it's an analogy, live with it XD.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.