First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Choosing to live in Japan or not.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12 , edited 2/19/12

_mikecc_ wrote:

i have never been to japan but if you don't even know what your living style would be then you should really think about doing A LOT of research before go. you also should be good in the language if not fluent. what i do know since for a long time i was thinking about doing missionary work in Japan and living there,if you don't know the language then prepare for a hard time also they don't have "street names they have block numbers(its more in depth then that and i still don't know much about i.) learn about that, also if you don't like trains then you shouldn't go, you can get a car but they have one of the hardest driving test and its even harder for foreigners. visiting Japan and living there are so far apart, go because you think it would be a good learning experience and a challenge don't go because you just think it would be cool and who knows you might have a last and i have heard that everyone that goes it has changed them for either the better or for the worse.


well hey, i'm not one to ignore challenges just because i am afraid of change. And i have taken a couple semesters learning Japanese before but i'm really really really rusty.

And sorry i think i lied. I once actually had a work partner before who lived in Japan. He said he loved it because it was so different and challenging but very very fun. However i couldn't pry him of more details about it because i wasn't as interested in learning about his experiences as i am now. ( i know, im kicking myself for not asking more than about the Habu Saki he had hahaha.)
14033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 2/19/12
If you wana go do it just dont regret not doing it simple as that
75434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12

Mangasurf wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

You would probably be offended by what you consider the rampant perversion. Stay home and safe where your horizons and preconceptions will never be challenged.




obviously sore fanboy of Japan award goes to papagolfwhiskey!


If you say so. because you know so much about me. But Ignorance and ethnocentrism are what I expect from you.

38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12 , edited 2/19/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:

If you say so. because you know so much about me. But Ignorance and ethnocentrism are what I expect from you.



eh i see you're the type that gets butthurt easily, but i'm not going to argue on this thread because i actually want to get some information off of it, since its a decision that will actually affect me in the future.
Posted 2/19/12 , edited 2/19/12
I suggest you take the job in San Diego. Moving to another country is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming and stressful or so I've heard. I've read a lot of stories from people who've lived in Japan. Though the majority agree that although it is a beautiful country with a unique culture, they will admit that trying to settle in is quite difficult, especially if you're a "gaijin." It's even more frustrating if you do not have a complete grasp on the language and customs and trying to adapt is another challenge.

And whether people want to admit it or not, Japan still has a more-or-less, xenophobic problem.

Hmm, so you're in the Navy? You'll mostly be living on a base, correct?
24482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Not Telling
Offline
Posted 2/19/12
I don't know much about living in Yokohama but my penpal lives there and she says its very popular with foreigners? Not just for tourism but to live also. That's all I can give on the subject really >A< Although if I were you I'd pick Japan.
75434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12

Mangasurf wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

If you say so. because you know so much about me. But Ignorance and ethnocentrism are what I expect from you.



eh i see you're the type that gets butthurt easily, but i'm not going to argue on this thread because i actually want to get some information off of it, since its a decision that will actually affect me in the future.


Sure dismiss me as butthurt. Again because obviously that's what this is all about. To be fair, I was less than polite. But if you truly feel the way your posts to another thread suggest. I think you'll have a tough row to hoe. but you're right. there's no point in arguing. Have a nice life.

38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12

LosingOrbit wrote:

I suggest you take the job in San Diego. Moving to another country is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming and stressful or so I've heard. I've read a lot of stories from people who've lived in Japan. Though the majority agree that although it is a beautiful country with a unique culture, they will admit that trying to settle in is quite difficult, especially if you're a "gaijin." It's even more frustrating if you do not have a complete grasp on the language and customs and trying to adapt is another challenge.

And whether people want to admit it or not, Japan still has a more-or-less, xenophobic problem.

Hmm, so you're in the Navy? You'll mostly be living on a base, correct?


yes, off base living is much too expensive. To my knowledge though, the base is essentially like a small US town. It has its own commissary, gym, a small movie theatre, and other types of buildings you'd see in the US. Also the houses are American-style, not Japanese.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 2/19/12
I've never been to Japan and don't know anyone who has. But there are a lot of foreigners in Japan now so you wouldn't be the only one. I doubt you would have any issue with racism. Japan I hear is a cool place to live. They have the largest shopping malls, so much anime and manga, amazing amusment parks

However, there are some downsides. Their public transport is incredibly overcrowded, they have too big a fascination with porn so many things illegal in other countries are totally fine there. Also, with any foreign country it can be difficult to fit in if you don't know the language.

If Japan really is your dream country and you can deal with some of the downsides then go for it. If you feel like the risks are too big then stay close to home.
Posted 2/19/12

Mangasurf wrote:


LosingOrbit wrote:

I suggest you take the job in San Diego. Moving to another country is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming and stressful or so I've heard. I've read a lot of stories from people who've lived in Japan. Though the majority agree that although it is a beautiful country with a unique culture, they will admit that trying to settle in is quite difficult, especially if you're a "gaijin." It's even more frustrating if you do not have a complete grasp on the language and customs and trying to adapt is another challenge.

And whether people want to admit it or not, Japan still has a more-or-less, xenophobic problem.

Hmm, so you're in the Navy? You'll mostly be living on a base, correct?


yes, off base living is much too expensive. To my knowledge though, the base is essentially like a small US town. It has its own commissary, gym, a small movie theatre, and other types of buildings you'd see in the US. Also the houses are American-style, not Japanese.


My mom used to be in the Army, so I'm familiar with bases.
You'll mostly be surrounded by more Americans than anything, so the stress of having to adapt won't be so bad I guess, yet exploring off-post is where the real challenge is.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12

LosingOrbit wrote:


Mangasurf wrote:

yes, off base living is much too expensive. To my knowledge though, the base is essentially like a small US town. It has its own commissary, gym, a small movie theatre, and other types of buildings you'd see in the US. Also the houses are American-style, not Japanese.


My mom used to be in the Army, so I'm familiar with bases.
You'll mostly be surrounded by more Americans than anything, so the stress of having to adapt won't be so bad I guess, yet exploring off-post is where the real challenge is.


Oh nice! Yeah, adapting will be fairly easy because of that reason... My only concern would be leaving all of my current friends and family behind, especially if something tragic were to happen back home, i'd have to cope with it without family. But hey, thats essentially a part that i signed up for.
53239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Norway.
Offline
Posted 2/19/12
To fully enjoy Japan you really should learn atleast conversational-level Japanese, but you can always learn that while you're there. I know many bases hold classes where you can learn the language of whichever country you're stationed in.

Personally I'd go to Japan, learn the language and just have an life-experience that I'd never forget.

Like someone already mentioned, you'll always be able to live near your home, but the opportunity to live in Japan might never come again. :)
Posted 2/19/12 , edited 2/19/12
[


I think your family and friends would be concerned about your safety, too. When you join something like the Navy, having to leave the ones close to you is inevitable, but luckily you have an option and one is closer to home. IMO, if you're that worried than maybe it's best you do go to San Diego. Just do what you truly feel is right.
67 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / [NSNY]National So...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12

wrote:

It's not worth it. Japan is a very morally messed up country. They sell hentai manga in every manga store, and Japan tolerates it like it's an okay thing. I suggest you stay away from Japan before you manage to get raped like in the hentai manga.


You're worried about that and you're not worried about the big black vans that drive around blaring about the evils of foreigners, and how all foreigners should be forcibly thrown out of the country?

You're a strange little person.

Oh, and the prison systems are a nightmare. They love putting gaijin in prison, so you're very likely to see the inside of one, sooner or later.


1628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / the little world...
Offline
Posted 2/19/12
i would think of it like an adventure anime sushipath is right the older you get the less adventurous you become and it would suck if you wound up hurt from someone but it would suck and hurt even more if you wound up regretting not going and not get the adventure of a lifetime. if i get the chance i would learn what little of the language i can (which im teaching myself anyway) and i would live there awhile but id keep in contact by writing and calling my moms long distance bill would be a class A glorified BITCH
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.