Movie: Gabi (International English title / literal title)
Revised romanization: Gabi
Director: Chang Yoon-Hyun
Writer: Kim Tak-Hwan (novel)
Release Date: March 15, 2011
Country: South Korea
"Gabi" depicts the assassination attempt of King Gojong (Park Hee-Soon) - the 26th king of the Joseon Dynasty. Set towards the end of the 19th century, when coffee was first introduced to Korea, Russian sharpshooter Illichi (Joo Jin-Mo) and Joseon's first barista Danya (Kim So-Yeon) are manipulated by Sadako (Yoo-Sun) in an intricate plot to assassinate King Gojong.
1. Budget is estimated at 10,000,000,000 ₩ ($8.8 million USD).
2. Movie is based on the novel “Russian Coffee” by Kim Tak Hwan (first published on July 6, 2009). "Russian Coffee" is a fictionalized story based in a historical setting.
3. Actress Lee Da-Hae was originally cast as lead female character "Danya," but dropped out of filming due to delays in shooting (originally expected to begin in December, 2010). By March, 2011 actress Kim So-Yeon accepted the role vacated by Lee Da-Hae.
4. Filming took place from March 29, 2011 - September 2, 2011, taking 5 months to finish. From March 29-August 22, 2011 shooting took place in South Korea and August 26-September 2, 2011 shooting took place in Moscow & St. Petersburg, Russia.
5. Movie title "Gabi" refers to what Koreans first called "Coffee" when it was introduced during the Joseon Dynasty.
Joo Jin-Mo - Illichi
Kim So-Yeon - Danya
Park Hee-Soon - Emperor Gojong
Yoo-Sun - Sadako
pray4Gaza, pray4MH17, pray4MH370