First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Neon Genesis Evangelion
50203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/13/12

-Vega- wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

In the end of the TV show, everybody went to heaven because Shinji wanted it that way. Shinji became God.


Did you want that position?


God's position?


Yes, that position.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 12/13/12

Shrapnel893 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


-Vega- wrote:

In the end of the TV show, everybody went to heaven because Shinji wanted it that way. Shinji became God.


Did you want that position?


God's position?


Yes, that position.


I already am God.

16073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 12/13/12
Eva's the one anime I can watch forever, and always catch new things. It's timeless, and it's social commentary and messages are still very relevant. People that don't like it usually because it very in your face about serious issues that may relate to you. But that's what makes it so great, it's not afraid to troll you and mess with your head!

Fact is, if you can't handle Eva and only want to see action or comedy than watch nuruto or bleach with the rest of the little kids..
And people always say that Shinji and Asuka are emo, they are NOT. Shinji is depressed and is a realistic character who just loses his mind from all the horrible things he goes threw. Stupid emo kids only want to act this way but usually are living easy, unlike people in third world countries at least you have a roof over your head and food in your stomach. Asuka is very proud and witnessed something when she was very young that would have traumatized anybody. They are not dumb, happy characters and that what I really like about them.
20172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/13/12
Neon Genesis Evangelion is what started me watching anime in the first place. I love that anime, and I can't really say how many times I've watched it, along with the movies. I love Evangelion.
2673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Sexual Chocolate
Offline
Posted 12/13/12
I didn't dislike it I guess. I just didn't enjoy it and if not for the fact that it was such a highly regarded series i'd have dropped it by the halfway point.

Didn't care for the plot (I understood it, but I found it lacking in something. What the something is i'm not sure of) or the characters who at best I didn't care about and at worst I wished brain cancer on and in the end I was struck with an overwhelming sense of "meh?" . Which I guess makes me unique in this case because people tend to be really hardline on their feelings for the series. Didn't see any of the movies because why would I watch a movie about a series that I didn't like? The animation was nice though.
50203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/13/12 , edited 12/13/12

Pomff wrote:

I didn't dislike it I guess. I just didn't enjoy it and if not for the fact that it was such a highly regarded series i'd have dropped it by the halfway point.

Didn't care for the plot (I understood it, but I found it lacking in something. What the something is i'm not sure of) or the characters who at best I didn't care about and at worst I wished brain cancer on and in the end I was struck with an overwhelming sense of "meh?" . Which I guess makes me unique in this case because people tend to be really hardline on their feelings for the series. Didn't see any of the movies because why would I watch a movie about a series that I didn't like? The animation was nice though.


The movies are, how to put it, happier than the series and different in how they play out. You never know, you may like those. I, too, was struck with a sense of "meh?" at the end of the series but for me as I came to look between the lines I saw it was more. Though, I say this more so of the actual characters not the plot. And yes, with Neon Genesis the case with people is that they either hate it or love it, you don't see many in-betweens so to speak.
2673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Sexual Chocolate
Offline
Posted 12/13/12 , edited 12/13/12

Shrapnel893 wrote:

The movies are, how to put it, happier than the series and different in how they play out. You never know, you may like those. I, too, was struck with a sense of "meh?" at the end of the series but for me as I came to look between the lines I saw it was more. Though, I say this more so of the actual characters not the plot. And yes, with Neon Genesis the case with people is that they either hate it or love it, you don't see many in-betweens so to speak.


Unless the movies drastically rework the entire series then the odds of it improving my view of NGE are extremely low. It just doesn't work for me on a number of levels and I don't think any amount of tidying up or tonal adjustments are going to change that.

Not to unintentionally insult anyone but, to me, NGE didn't feel as "deep" or incomprehensible as a lot of fans make it out to be. I'm not sure how to explain it, art being subjective and everything and of course it won't speak to everyone the same way. I had the same issue with Revolutionary Girl Utena only in that case the plot/characters annoyed me enough to make me drop the series, critical fanfare and subtext be damned.

For me it's kind of like the Citizen Kane of anime, I see why people like it and I don't think it's bad, it just doesn't work for me.
50203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/13/12 , edited 12/13/12

Pomff wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:

The movies are, how to put it, happier than the series and different in how they play out. You never know, you may like those. I, too, was struck with a sense of "meh?" at the end of the series but for me as I came to look between the lines I saw it was more. Though, I say this more so of the actual characters not the plot. And yes, with Neon Genesis the case with people is that they either hate it or love it, you don't see many in-betweens so to speak.


Unless the movies drastically rework the entire series then the odds of it improving my view of NGE are extremely low. It just doesn't work for me on a number of levels and I don't think any amount of tidying up or tonal adjustments are going to change that.

Not to unintentionally insult anyone but, to me, NGE didn't feel as "deep" or incomprehensible as a lot of fans make it out to be. I'm not sure how to explain it, art being subjective and everything and of course it won't speak to everyone the same way. I had the same issue with Revolutionary Girl Utena only in that case the plot/characters annoyed me enough to make me drop the series, critical fanfare and subtext be damned.

For me it's kind of like the Citizen Kane of anime, I see why people like it and I don't think it's bad, it just doesn't work for me.


I see what you mean. In regards to the movies the plot doesn't really start diverging drastically until 3.0, where a ton of new stuff happens. The overall tone of the movies is not as depressing as the series, the personalities of the characters are somewhat better mentally for example. Things that are different are: Shinji has more confidence in himself as a person, Asuka learns to rely on others/find enjoyment with others, Rei gets emotions, Kaworu displays more of himself as person, etc. It's hard to explain without spoiling things though.. I think one of the overall themes of Eva is finding that life has its pains and you should expect to be hurt. That you should not shy away from others and learn to love yourself; who you are as a person. The movies portray this in a different sense than the tv series is what I'm trying to say I guess. You won't know until you actually watch them, whether or not they improve or even lessen your view on the series. The director was in a deep depression while making Neon Genesis Evangelion, but with the new movies he's not (just some side note I thought worth mentioning). The thing with Evangelion to me is that it isn't deep unless you make it deep. It was vague to the point you could draw deep meanings from it. I have a page on my profile about the references and themes from Neon Genesis Evangelion, I didn't make it myself but I thought it was interesting so I it up as a page, if you or anyone else is interested in reading or skimming through it.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/Shrapnel893#s=/user/Shrapnel893/pages%3Fextra_param%3D12884972669

Rebuild Of Evangelion Reviews (I'd recommend reading these (all 4 of them), they are better at explaining than me):

1.0 and 2.0 versions:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion-1.0-you-are-not-alone

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion/2.0-you-can-not-advance

1.11 and 2.22 versions:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion/1.11-you-are-not-alone/bluray

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion-2.22/you-can-not-advance/bluray
10012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/14/12
I hope this is the right place to ask..

I've really wanted to buy the Neon Genesis Evangelion series for some time now. All torrents seems to be dead, and all available complete versions of the series is Region 1 locked. I need Region 2 :/ (Well, i found one for Region 2, but it was Italian.)

What is the "Platinum Editions" ?

Does anybody know where i can get a hold of the complete collection? (Just the series, not the movies and not the alternative endings. Seems like there's plenty of those available for Region 2.)

Checked Amazon, eBay, play & other sites.. I read somewhere that it's no longer being made..

Help?
16073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 12/14/12 , edited 12/14/12
Try eBay, you will find the platinum slim pack version on there.
It goes for 60 to 80 dollars and is going out of print supposedly, so hurry.
It comes with all 26 episodes, plus directors cut editions of episodes 21-24. Hope that helps, peace.
10012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 12/14/12

SilverFLOYD wrote:

Try eBay, you will find the platinum slim pack version on there.
It goes for 60 to 80 dollars and is going out of print supposedly, so hurry.
It comes with all 26 episodes, plus directors cut editions of episodes 21-24. Hope that helps, peace.


Do you have a link ? All i can find is Region 1 dvd's
16073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 12/14/12
Oh, sorry man, didn't see that your not in the U.S.
16073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 12/14/12
Well, guess you could get it from digitally online like iTunes or Playstation Network. Sorry couldn't be much help...
50203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/14/12 , edited 12/20/12

GeekBooy wrote:


SilverFLOYD wrote:

Try eBay, you will find the platinum slim pack version on there.
It goes for 60 to 80 dollars and is going out of print supposedly, so hurry.
It comes with all 26 episodes, plus directors cut editions of episodes 21-24. Hope that helps, peace.


Do you have a link ? All i can find is Region 1 dvd's :(


Hmmm, well I looked around and I found region 1 and region 2 versions of the Platinum Edition, but they were imported or not dubbed in english (since I'm guessing that's what you want). So, I looked for individual volumes and I found Region 2 ones with the English dub, from the Platinum Edition no less. I could be wrong though, still worth checking out. Rightstuf ships internationally, although when I looked it said only to your address... you'll have to look into that yourself.


http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=neon+genesis#/?s=neon%20genesis&o=0&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:DVD
16007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Homeless
Offline
Posted 12/14/12
wyrvan 
35344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Online
Posted 12/14/12

GeekBooy wrote:


SilverFLOYD wrote:

Try eBay, you will find the platinum slim pack version on there.
It goes for 60 to 80 dollars and is going out of print supposedly, so hurry.
It comes with all 26 episodes, plus directors cut editions of episodes 21-24. Hope that helps, peace.


Do you have a link ? All i can find is Region 1 dvd's :(


It might be easier to get a region free or region1 dvd player.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.