First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Religion: A Mental Illness?
39360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Floating by.....s...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Zangai wrote:

Good Post! I can see why you would label religion as a mental disorder. But mental disorders are something you are born with, not something someone can apply to you The word i think would be better suited is "Mental Misdirection" (Well i think anyways).

I think religions need to just STFU about what religion is better and why. That is what causes most of the wars we face.
Personally the only religion i find not to be misguided is Buddhism. They have very peaceful intentions for all men and women unlike other religions.


Really. We are 'Born' with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?



whats different about buddhism is that there is no god or deist.......but the force...well that's how i describe what I have read atleast

Posted 2/28/12

SlurpyRamen wrote:

Empathy is shown already at the age of 2. If not, there is a disorder. Almost all people have empathy to each other. If this wouldn't be the case, the person cannot respond to another, because the person would not understand the emotions of others.

I've more respect to this person that has been quoted then the OP who claims this person is a monkey. Absurd. This person here is disrespected because of his or her belief. Either way, it looks the OP is even missing the empathy in this case to respond in a normal way.

Please state the facts regarding this. I am a atheist, and I do not believe in a god or in a religion, but I do totally disagree with this. Do not claim such things without facts.


I was trying to avoid linking sources because of the lack of sources from specific organisations, but I'll list some to give my statements credibility:

http://www.telacommunications.com/nutshell/stages.htm


The Formal Operational stage [ 3 ] is the final stage in Piaget's theory. It begins at approximately 11 to 12 years of age, and continues throughout adulthood, although Piaget does point out that some people may never reach this stage of cognitive development.


http://quizlet.com/7366187/print/


Formal Operational Stage Generally from ages 11-15
Not everyone reaches this stage, or reaches it in the same way.


Introduction to Psychology: Gateways to Mind and Behavior by Dennis Coon, John O Mitterer


Full adult intellectual ability is attained during the stage of formal operations. Older adolescents are capable of inductive and deductive reasoning, and they can comprehend math, physics, philosophy, psychology, and other abstract systems. They can learn to test hypotheses in a scientific manner. Of course, not everyone reaches this level of thinking.
20198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My own, made-up w...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Zangai wrote:

Good Post! I can see why you would label religion as a mental disorder. But mental disorders are something you are born with, not something someone can apply to you The word i think would be better suited is "Mental Misdirection" (Well i think anyways).

I think religions need to just STFU about what religion is better and why. That is what causes most of the wars we face.
Personally the only religion i find not to be misguided is Buddhism. They have very peaceful intentions for all men and women unlike other religions.


Really. We are 'Born' with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?



Well.. No

There are some disorders that you obtain through life like PTSD i should have thought out my words more. I guess your right, there are a majority of people that take up a religion because of stress. So if could be a be classified as a "mental"

75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12

SlurpyRamen wrote:


The developmental cycle following egocentricism is the formal operational stage of cognitive development, wherein the individual gains the ability to look at things from a logical perspective. The individual gains the ability of deductive reasoning, abstract thinking, and most importantly, empathy.


Empathy is shown already at the age of 2. If not, there is a disorder. Almost all people have empathy to each other. If this wouldn't be the case, the person cannot respond to another, because the person would not understand the emotions of others.



Here is an example of a monke- I mean an individual that lacks the element of empathy:


mangasurf wrote:

I consider myself a pretty devout Roman Catholic although i'm not perfect. I respect every other religion, but I do believe Catholicism is the true religion (but doesn't everyone else think there's is as well). We'll figure it out through death i suppose though . I respect Atheists viewpoints somewhat since everyone was given free will, but for some reason I don't like them very much. sorry.

Here's a question to the Atheists. Why not have a religion? What happens when you are wrong? lol you might be wishing eternally you would have believed. Its like never gambling because you don't believe you'll win. If you are right (which i don't believe you are) then uh nothing happens i guess? cool. but if you are wrong, ehhh not so good.


I've more respect to this person that has been quoted then the OP who claims this person is a monkey. Absurd. This person here is disrespected because of his or her belief. Either way, it looks the OP is even missing the empathy in this case to respond in a normal way.



Nowadays it has become common for people to not fully reach the formal operational stage, which is clearly a problem in mental development. It is an illness in a psychological pattern, reflected in behaviour, and is not considered part of a normal development of a human being. Therefore, it is a mental disorder.
If society would pinpoint this problem and fix the issue, scientific development would increase significantly as a huge number of people would gain the ability to think logically - henceforth the amount of scientists delving in scientific research would increase too. The reason no one can convince the religious is because they are missing a significant part of the brain. It’s like trying to describe to a color-blind person the color red.


Please state the facts regarding this. I am a atheist, and I do not believe in a god or in a religion, but I do totally disagree with this. Do not claim such things without facts.



Lacking the emotional empathy you describe is the mark of a sociopath. However, the term is also used for a later stage in developmental psyche in which a person cannot perceive a point of view other than their own. A child who has not crossed that developmental threshold cannot image a physical perspective that is not their own. For Example, when presented with one end of a sand table in which random three dimensional objects have been placed, they are unable to describe what it may look like from the side or the top down. Related but not exactly refered to as empathy is a superficial assessment ability that sees all green cars as the same car. As a nurse I see this in adults who know the exact colour and shape of the medicines the doctor ordered three years ago, but are unable to comprehend that a slight dosage change or a switch in manufacturer might radically change the appearance of a therapeutically identical medication.

20198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My own, made-up w...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12 , edited 2/28/12

IkkiTheFang wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Zangai wrote:

Good Post! I can see why you would label religion as a mental disorder. But mental disorders are something you are born with, not something someone can apply to you The word i think would be better suited is "Mental Misdirection" (Well i think anyways).

I think religions need to just STFU about what religion is better and why. That is what causes most of the wars we face.
Personally the only religion i find not to be misguided is Buddhism. They have very peaceful intentions for all men and women unlike other religions.


Really. We are 'Born' with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?



whats different about buddhism is that there is no god or deist.......but the force...well that's how i describe what I have read atleast



Yes everything living is centered by "CHI" wich is exactly like "The Force" is from star wars. It's just the energy of all beings!
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12

Zangai wrote:


IkkiTheFang wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Zangai wrote:

Good Post! I can see why you would label religion as a mental disorder. But mental disorders are something you are born with, not something someone can apply to you The word i think would be better suited is "Mental Misdirection" (Well i think anyways).

I think religions need to just STFU about what religion is better and why. That is what causes most of the wars we face.
Personally the only religion i find not to be misguided is Buddhism. They have very peaceful intentions for all men and women unlike other religions.


Really. We are 'Born' with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?



whats different about buddhism is that there is no god or deist.......but the force...well that's how i describe what I have read atleast



Yes everything living is centered by "CHI" wich is exactly like "The Force" is from star wars. It's just the energy of all beings!


very nice. but I think you need to elaborate on why this supports or contradicts the OP's position. Unless it's not relevant of course. Then carry on.

75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12

animegirl2222 wrote:

What mental disorder will the physicatirsts come up with next?

I know lots of people who are uberly religious who happen to be rather, erm, to put it nicely, people I wouldn't hang out with, ever, or like. Sometimes my 12 year old younger sister is one of those people. She's a totally devoted, weird, christian. And I'm closer to being an atheist. I just can't stand all her crap. She's always telling me I'm going to burn in hell.. She's constantly nasty & putting down my beliefs. Hmmmph.
I swear, I would be so much more content if I had older siblings that were already off at college & away from home.


I don't want to be mean but... how to put this diplomatically?

I think you need to reread the OP's post and either clarify in a new post or edit this one for relevant information. Embedded in your statement is a information that I think IS relevant but...

Just... please... reread the post. and what it challenges us to defend or dispute.

Posted 2/28/12

heIIow wrote:

The reason no one can convince the religious is because they are missing a significant part of the brain.


Oh God, Satan has started stealing brains.


heIIow wrote:

I don't really delve into religions


Bold statements about one side of the discussion which you have limited knowledge about.


Posted 2/28/12

evenstar95 wrote:


heIIow wrote:

The reason no one can convince the religious is because they are missing a significant part of the brain.


Oh God, Satan has started stealing brains.


heIIow wrote:

I don't really delve into religions


Bold statements about one side of the discussion which you have limited knowledge about.


Congratulations, you just demonstrated a classic example of an ad hominem fallacy. It's been awhile since I've seen that, so thank you!

Rather than attacking my main point, you attack my credibility to talk about this topic. Good job! It really demonstrated your ability to think deductively and makes me think otherwise about my main point.
39360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Floating by.....s...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12
Would we agree that maybe instead of mental illness it could be a delusion? but if you live your life in a delusion is that mentally ill? Theistically speaking here
8227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/12
I guess the Red Cross is the result of mental illness. America was also founded on the freedom to practice mental illness too?
20198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My own, made-up w...
Offline
Posted 2/28/12
I remember the days when i went to catholic school (Dad Forced ME!) and i recall the= Father and the priests (Who run the school) attempting brainwash every wendsday as it was "Church Day" on me. I'm glad that i got kicked out of that school when i was 9 and there reasons stated that i "Do not follow the path god has layed out for me". Just wanted to share with you who i think is Mentally ill!



In other news: I just took a "Belief test" at http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx
Seems legit but i'm shocked to see that i am a Unitarist Univeralist? WTF

Posted 2/28/12

goldenvulf wrote:

I guess the Red Cross is the result of mental illness. America was also founded on the freedom to practice mental illness too?


I know you're just trying to be witty and all, but I'm just going to point this out.

Correlation does not imply causation.
25204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The World of No End
Offline
Posted 2/28/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


While I agree with your fact. I see it too often not to. I'm not sure I agree with your final assertion. First off, for an otherwise well considered post I think 'religion' is too general a term. 'religious fundamentalism' I think is more relevant and more easily argued. The post referring to Buddhism and Confucianism has a point as well. Though he loses me with the assumption that only Christianity has flaws or makes people unhappy.




No I don't single out Christianity because of my own beliefs but it is currently being questioned heavily by those disenchanted with the faith as a general.

I could choose to say Islam as well but that one is more controversial as a whole.
Posted 2/28/12
Bitch 0_o
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.