First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
That Tough Question...
51016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/12
Hey. I've been watching anime for a long, long time now, and like most of you, I prefer it subtitled.

HOWEVER, I want my fiance to watch more with me. He's, well, not the best speed reader. Not much of a reader at all. While watching subs would help him get BETTER at speed-reading, I'd like to introduce him to anime in a comfortable setting.

My questions is, which dubs are tolerable? I've always considered the Miyazaki films to be quality dubs, but I've not delved deep into other areas. Are certain localization companies just better? How can I prevent profuse bleeding of the ears?

OR, am I being too dramatic? I've not watched dubbed anime since my fandom started with Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Are things better now?

Thanks! <3
57064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Ca. 250 miles fro...
Offline
Posted 3/5/12
Things are still horrible while dubbed... don't know if they have become better or not

While there are many anime out there with high speed on subs, there are others that are not that over fused with words
The better timed subs are there long enough for normal reading

Anime where long or difficult words are used sometimes comes with explanations anyway...
Also the pause is your friend :D
85072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 3/5/12

CanineMafia wrote:

Hey. I've been watching anime for a long, long time now, and like most of you, I prefer it subtitled.

HOWEVER, I want my fiance to watch more with me. He's, well, not the best speed reader. Not much of a reader at all. While watching subs would help him get BETTER at speed-reading, I'd like to introduce him to anime in a comfortable setting.

My questions is, which dubs are tolerable? I've always considered the Miyazaki films to be quality dubs, but I've not delved deep into other areas. Are certain localization companies just better? How can I prevent profuse bleeding of the ears?

OR, am I being too dramatic? I've not watched dubbed anime since my fandom started with Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Are things better now?

Thanks! <3


Dubs are much better nowadays except for some BIG titles like Naruto and One Piece

Here are my favorite dubs from funimation + all time stuff
Darker than Black
Cowboy Bebop - watching subbed should be a sin imo
Spice and Wolf
Kanon - (most of it some parts it doesn't really work uguu)
Full Metal Alchemist
Summer Wars
Any of the Miyazaki movies
Baccano
Hellsing - up there with Cowboy Bebops dub
Eden Of the East
Full Metal Panic - all 3 parts
Gun X Sword - good not great
Heroic Age - tolerable but probably should watch subbed
Last Exile
Mushi Shi - Great Dub
RIN ~Daughters Of Mneosyne~ - I was surprised they could pull off sexy
I think Samurai Champloo was OK but it has been a while the subs may be better
Speed Grapher
Trigun - I like the subs a lot better but the dub is OK
Welcome to the NHK
Edit - I forgot Lupin the III - great dub

The best part about it is that a lot of these are available on Netflix or are watchable on the funi site itself.
I hope that helps. Good luck in your recruitment.
51016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/12
Thank you, you've been extremely helpful. Mushishi's one of my all-time-favs, so I might start with that. :3
85072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 3/5/12

CanineMafia wrote:

Thank you, you've been extremely helpful. Mushishi's one of my all-time-favs, so I might start with that. :3


Yeah you're welcome and yes Mushi Shi - the most relaxing anime ever made. lol. J Michael Tatum pulls it off which was surprising.

Edit - The English Inflections may take a little while to get used to but I really liked it after the first episode. He really does put acting into his voice acting and the supporting cast is pretty solid as well.
46022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/12
Funnyginsan's list is actually almost completely identical to mine, so let me enthusiastically second his entire list of recommendations. The only title I'd add to the list is Death Note, which I think might actually be preferable completely to the sub owing the very long and complex (but very interesting) exposition it often descends into. The only other show that I think might be decisively better to watch in dub form is Darker than Black, particularly the second season. The acting seemed perfect in that.

I preferred the Spice and Wolf sub over the dub, but I can see why a lot of people like the dub since that show also involves a lot of pretty complex exposition that can be difficult and boring to read at length- my girlfriend certainly preferred the dub for those very reasons. The one other point of contention for me is Baccano: perhaps my favorite anime, but I could never get behind the dub for some reason, and vastly preferred the Japanese voices with accompanying subtitles. Everyone seems to really appreciate the english voicework, though, so I think it might just be a quirk.

I'm in general pretty favorably disposed to dubs and not a subtitle purist like a lot of other people. Generally speaking, and provided decent acting, I favor dubs in shows set in places outside of Japan, Fantasy, and a lot of Sci-Fi. Particularly if it's intended to be a more Western setting. Also, as mentioned above, with shows that have a lot of exposition to them, even if those happen to be in Japan. Shows set in Japan, particularly the more realistic and personal ones, ones taking place in High School etc, I tend to prefer the subtitles. But it varies across the board.
57064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Ca. 250 miles fro...
Offline
Posted 3/5/12

CanineMafia wrote:

Cowboy Bebop - watching subbed should be a sin imo
Hellsing - up there with Cowboy Bebops dub



If sub is a sin, then it is pride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBWpIUWF-Q
Disagree although based that Hellsing is actually in England it is not that bad, but still worse then the original
85072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 3/5/12

GroundLuminous wrote:



I preferred the Spice and Wolf sub over the dub, but I can see why a lot of people like the dub since that show also involves a lot of pretty complex exposition that can be difficult and boring to read at length- my girlfriend certainly preferred the dub for those very reasons. The one other point of contention for me is Baccano: perhaps my favorite anime, but I could never get behind the dub for some reason, and vastly preferred the Japanese voices with accompanying subtitles. Everyone seems to really appreciate the english voicework, though, so I think it might just be a quirk.

I.


I think I liked the dub more because my eyes could take in every second of Holos's absolute gorgeousness on screen
Also, the combination of Brina Polencia and J Michael Tatum just seemed godly to me.
Then again, I have a bias for Brina Polencia. I even watch Black Butler dubbed even though deep in my heart I know the sub is better which is why I didn't include it.

I really enjoyed your response btw. Very detailed and well thought out. Thanks for the praise.

Edit - yeah I watched the video above and I enjoyed the dub more. The Japanese scream just seemed screechy and over the top which doesn't fit her character at all but hey to each their own.
double edit - I will say that Seras Victorias voice actor is probably the weak link in the dub but for me turning Seras Victoria into a moe character was a sin in itself for the OVA.
136480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/5/12
I want to introduce anime to my nephew, who also isn't the fastest reader, and so I've pondered delving more into dubs, even though it will pain me to do so. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will probably be my starting point and I have heard good things about the dub. Yet, I've gotten to the point that not only is the execution off in most dubs but the translations still never seem quite right. I know no dub will perfectly line up with the Japanese dialogue but every time I listen to the English audio it just sounds awkward and makes me think that the screenwriters could always have done something better.
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Online
Posted 3/5/12
i always so go with the classics, yu yu hakusho, full metal alchemist/brotherhood, samurai x, dragon ball was pretty good, gurren lagann.

try titles that you never saw before. tokko was pretty decent, depends on your tolerance. it'll help build tolerance for dubs and you can actually enjoy it together since its your first time. he's late in the game, most guys like that won't being going into subs soon, unless you get him addicted to series that is ongoing now and he wants to catch up on his own.
i say one piece never fails there. and he may totally convert with you
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Online
Posted 3/5/12

kufirst wrote:

I want to introduce anime to my nephew, who also isn't the fastest reader, and so I've pondered delving more into dubs, even though it will pain me to do so. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will probably be my starting point and I have heard good things about the dub. Yet, I've gotten to the point that not only is the execution off in most dubs but the translations still never seem quite right. I know no dub will perfectly line up with the Japanese dialogue but every time I listen to the English audio it just sounds awkward and makes me think that the screenwriters could always have done something better.


you can always try things thats a lil more actiony if they are young, i find that naruto, bleach, one piece works best. but if they are under 10 per say. they most likely will enjoy the subs either way if it looks interesting.
136480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/5/12

wolfsaiga wrote:


kufirst wrote:

I want to introduce anime to my nephew, who also isn't the fastest reader, and so I've pondered delving more into dubs, even though it will pain me to do so. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will probably be my starting point and I have heard good things about the dub. Yet, I've gotten to the point that not only is the execution off in most dubs but the translations still never seem quite right. I know no dub will perfectly line up with the Japanese dialogue but every time I listen to the English audio it just sounds awkward and makes me think that the screenwriters could always have done something better.


you can always try things thats a lil more actiony if they are young, i find that naruto, bleach, one piece works best. but if they are under 10 per say. they most likely will enjoy the subs either way if it looks interesting.


He's 13 and I definitely have my sights set on something with action or adventure to draw him in, i.e. FMA, Gurren Lagann or Eureka Seven. Something that actually starts and finishes; if he likes it enough he can decide if he wants to invest in starting Naruto or One Piece.
Ghost Moderator
AHTL 
87563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / Norway
Online
Posted 3/5/12
I sense a disturbing lack of Ghost in the Shell.

You are even recommended by some to watch the dubbed version first, to ensure you don't miss anything.
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Online
Posted 3/5/12

kufirst wrote:


wolfsaiga wrote:


kufirst wrote:

I want to introduce anime to my nephew, who also isn't the fastest reader, and so I've pondered delving more into dubs, even though it will pain me to do so. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will probably be my starting point and I have heard good things about the dub. Yet, I've gotten to the point that not only is the execution off in most dubs but the translations still never seem quite right. I know no dub will perfectly line up with the Japanese dialogue but every time I listen to the English audio it just sounds awkward and makes me think that the screenwriters could always have done something better.


you can always try things thats a lil more actiony if they are young, i find that naruto, bleach, one piece works best. but if they are under 10 per say. they most likely will enjoy the subs either way if it looks interesting.


He's 13 and I definitely have my sights set on something with action or adventure to draw him in, i.e. FMA, Gurren Lagann or Eureka Seven. Something that actually starts and finishes; if he likes it enough he can decide if he wants to invest in starting Naruto or One Piece.


might i suggest d.gray-man than. 13-16 year olds really get sucked into action anime with darker themes. not sure how the dub is though.
darker than black or black cat might work just as well.
if he has some sense for the oldies in some way, try cow boy bebop.

like i said in my older post i love using the oldies to suck people into anime such as yu yu hakusho, samurai x, dragonball, and inuyasha.
136480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/5/12

wolfsaiga wrote:


kufirst wrote:


wolfsaiga wrote:


kufirst wrote:

I want to introduce anime to my nephew, who also isn't the fastest reader, and so I've pondered delving more into dubs, even though it will pain me to do so. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood will probably be my starting point and I have heard good things about the dub. Yet, I've gotten to the point that not only is the execution off in most dubs but the translations still never seem quite right. I know no dub will perfectly line up with the Japanese dialogue but every time I listen to the English audio it just sounds awkward and makes me think that the screenwriters could always have done something better.


you can always try things thats a lil more actiony if they are young, i find that naruto, bleach, one piece works best. but if they are under 10 per say. they most likely will enjoy the subs either way if it looks interesting.


He's 13 and I definitely have my sights set on something with action or adventure to draw him in, i.e. FMA, Gurren Lagann or Eureka Seven. Something that actually starts and finishes; if he likes it enough he can decide if he wants to invest in starting Naruto or One Piece.


might i suggest d.gray-man than. 13-16 year olds really get sucked into action anime with darker themes. not sure how the dub is though.
darker than black or black cat might work just as well.
if he has some sense for the oldies in some way, try cow boy bebop.

like i said in my older post i love using the oldies to suck people into anime such as yu yu hakusho, samurai x, dragonball, and inuyasha.


That's the thing. He's 13 but I don't really know what he might like as far as anime is concerned. I know he likes the TV shows and movies that all the other teenage punks like nowadays but I haven't thought of a good entry strategy into the world of anime for him yet.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.