Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Do grammar faults irk you?
2892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / London Below
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 10/17/12
Yes, but I usually do this with my friends in real life rather than people on the internet. Personally I hate when people don't capitalize 'i.' It's one of the most basic rules of grammar. Actually, people who don't know how to use a shift key in general bug me. Then there's the 'your' vs. 'you're' thing...Another basic rule that most people cannot seem to grasp! Mostly twelve year-olds who think they're old enough to be on the internet. Lastly-my friend is famous for this-using the wrong forms of words, such as their for there or accept for except. Drives me nuts.

I also hate, hate, hate, HATE chat speak. Whoever invented it needs to be shot in the head! I can and do use the basic acronyms such as 'LOL,' ROFL,' and 'WTF?' But I can't comprehend chat speak to save my life. Y, U and R are letters NOT words, and two, one and four are numbers and not meant to be used as fillers for words either. It's stupid and lazy, especially considering a lot of mobiles today have full keyboards.

For me, it probably comes from being a writer more than anything, though.

11810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/5/12
It's not really a bother in my eyes, but at least they should try to write proper enough that other understand them.
60217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 3/5/12
You must always remember that not everyone's native language is English, so you'll have varying level of proficiency.
And there are also cases of undiagnosed dyslexia (or people who just can't afford the tools / software).
As long as it's understandable, there is no problem.
Instant messaging text is annoying though.
30855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 3/5/12

LostButterflyUtau wrote:

For me, it probably come from being a writer more than anything, though.



probably come . 'nuff said.
34843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / pLaNeT eArTh???
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 3/5/12

LostButterflyUtau wrote:

Yes, but I usually do this with my friends in real life rather than people on the internet. Personally I hate when people don't capitalize 'i.' It's one of the most basic rules of grammar. Actually, people who don't know how to use a shift key in general bug me. Then there's the 'your' vs. 'you're' thing...Another basic rule that most people cannot seem to grasp! Mostly twelve year-olds who think they're old enough to be on the internet. Lastly-my friend is famous for this-using the wrong form as words, such as their for there or accept for except. Drives me nuts.

I also hate, hate, hate, HATE chat speak. Whoever invented it needs to be shot in the head! I can and do use the basic acronyms such as 'LOL,' ROFL,' and 'WTF?' But I can't comprehend chat speak to save my life. Y, U and R are letters NOT words, and two, one and four are numbers and not meant to be used as fillers for words either. It's stupid and lazy, especially considering a lot of mobiles today have full keyboards.

For me, it probably come from being a writer more than anything, though.



I find it interesting that you say that. I am a writer myself so I care about my own grammar, well not as I'm writing of course, because I feel that distracts from free-flowing creativity. I have respect for words and for grammar. I just don't understood why other people get upset over mistakes that are easy to make.

I am not being obtuse or anything, and directing this towards you. I am genuinely curious as to the why.

For me it has been drilled in my head to not get caught up in grammar and correcting yourself since I've been writing, so maybe that is why I am not so hard on others. For English papers, and for tutoring, than yes harsh critiques are a must from my end, but than why do we have editors for writers?
Ronule 
36061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/5/12 , edited 3/5/12
I'll occasionally be a 'Grammar Nazi' with friends in jest, but online when I'm talking on forums I just let things be. You never know the reason why somebody may not be able to type proper English, and really, in the end, who cares? I will say that I pretty much just ignore anything written in 1337 speak or txt speak however.

Edit:

I would also like to say that nobody is perfect, and even the best writers sometimes make mistakes. Happens to me a lot as well. lol
51941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 3/5/12

JustineKo2 wrote:

Yes I agree English is a very difficult language, but I think native English speakers shouldn't be given a free pass to be careless and lazy. If you spend time on forums and a large part of your day is spent writing put some care into it. Encountering bad use of grammar and spelling when they are perfectly capable of doing it right, is like talking to someone face to face and something tells you they don't care about your time and your words.


I can't help NOT noticing such errors, but I don't get into fits of anger from them.
Hey, I'm poor in math, so I'm bound to screw up w/ numerical equations, therefore I have to cut some slack for those who struggle with grammer, right?
30855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/6/12 , edited 3/6/12

farmbird wrote:

I can't help NOT noticing such errors, but I don't get into fits of anger from them.
Hey, I'm poor in math, so I'm bound to screw up w/ numerical equations, therefore I have to cut some slack for those who struggle with grammer, right?


*Grammar

muahah!!

lol I'm sorry... I had to ...
51941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / F / Midwest, rural Am...
Offline
Posted 3/6/12

Mangasurf wrote:


farmbird wrote:

I can't help NOT noticing such errors, but I don't get into fits of anger from them.
Hey, I'm poor in math, so I'm bound to screw up w/ numerical equations, therefore I have to cut some slack for those who struggle with grammer, right?


*Grammar

muahah!!

lol I'm sorry... I had to ...


It's okay- I'll still love ya - maybe
69026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/6/12
Hmmm .... it depends on the situation. Are they a native English speaker? Can I understand what they said without trying too hard to read it? nevermind I'll just give you an example of what annoys me, the rest I do not care about.

I iz tryin to do sme talk lik dis bur it snt relly wrking cse I ave hard tme doin it/
27648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / California
Offline
Posted 3/6/12 , edited 3/6/12
Grammar, alright. Grammar is a difficult factor to grasp for those who are learning English as a second language, so it's understandable if they make a mistake here and there. What I cannot stress enough is spelling! Goodness gracious. It annoys me when there are those who still cannot differentiate "your" from "you're". They are NOT the same -____-

Edit:



LostButterflyUtau wrote:

Yes, but I usually do this with my friends in real life rather than people on the internet. Personally I hate when people don't capitalize 'i.' It's one of the most basic rules of grammar. Actually, people who don't know how to use a shift key in general bug me. Then there's the 'your' vs. 'you're' thing...Another basic rule that most people cannot seem to grasp! Mostly twelve year-olds who think they're old enough to be on the internet. Lastly-my friend is famous for this-using the wrong form as words, such as their for there or accept for except. Drives me nuts.

I also hate, hate, hate, HATE chat speak. Whoever invented it needs to be shot in the head! I can and do use the basic acronyms such as 'LOL,' ROFL,' and 'WTF?' But I can't comprehend chat speak to save my life. Y, U and R are letters NOT words, and two, one and four are numbers and not meant to be used as fillers for words either. It's stupid and lazy, especially considering a lot of mobiles today have full keyboards.

For me, it probably come from being a writer more than anything, though.



I love you. That is all.
51551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Other
Online
Posted 3/6/12
In relation to typing along the lines of "c u l8tr" I personally hate it, but at least in Australia I know that it got popular when texting first became popular, as our service providers were charging based on the length of a text message, hence shortening the message was financially responsible, however that's no excuse for doing that in this day and age.

In relation to non-native English speakers, I couldn't care less what mistakes they make, they're at least making an effort.

In relation to native English speakers, if they can't get simple shit right then I instantly assume they have nothing worthwhile to say, if they felt the need to type out their view as fast as possible without self editing or using simple but correct English, then their view isn't worth typing out in the first place.
9343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / America
Offline
Posted 3/6/12
I think the reason it bothers me so badly is because I went through my childhood reading texts that said "heyy bru u doin anytin toda? ? ?"
1130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / World Wide Web
Offline
Posted 3/6/12 , edited 3/6/12
No not really...

I am fully aware that not everyone is originally English speaking and that there are people with spelling difficulties such as dyslexia, and I grew up around people like that so I'm usually not bothered. Unless it's the obvious things like: their/there/they're (I've seen this one a lot)

But if someone write chose instead of choose or shot instead of shoot, were instead of where I'm not going to be bothered by it.
I make mistakes myself; I know that I have a problem with the S.
If you read through what you've written and it doesn't sound right then probably something is wrong.

As long as you understand the message how it's written is beside the point.
Posted 3/6/12 , edited 3/6/12
i miss out words like a and things and then i spell most little words wrong xd
but that dyslexia i suffer from spelling side not reading and understating that's high than avrige them just spelling

and i no loot people that give people stick for spelling

and the school never helped me more like throw you aside
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.