First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Do grammar faults irk you?
55553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Other
Online
Posted 3/7/12

akutsu24 wrote:

to bad grammar mistakes are extremely common because of underage anime fans/underdeveloped minds, or your just having a bad day =P


I'm unsure if this is irony or reality, the problem with the written word is that it's hard to tell.
2322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / California, Hawai...
Offline
Posted 3/7/12

Coffeebot wrote:


akutsu24 wrote:

to bad grammar mistakes are extremely common because of underage anime fans/underdeveloped minds, or your just having a bad day =P


I'm unsure if this is irony or reality, the problem with the written word is that it's hard to tell.

Half irony, half me being drunk right now
Posted 3/7/12
I admit I have terrible grammar but I try my best for my sentences to be coherent. I also tend to abuse my comas a lot.

As long as the sentence is understandable, I won't mid it but if it has little to no coherence... Well, I'm not going to read it.
4676 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / America
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12
I don't really care if the grammar from other people is terrible. However, if it's mine-- I get quite annoyed with it. Simply put it, though, my grammar isn't the best and as a matter of fact, there will always be errors here and there.
2919 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / London Below
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12

Hitokiri_Ace wrote:

If grammar is a big deal to you, then I'd hate to see you react to real problems. Also, since when did "being ocd" become cool? It's a medical condition, quit being proud of it. Ignorant people who act like it's a superpower annoy me.


There, I fixed the bloody thing! For the record, I react to real problems just fine, usually by simply going with the flow. I do NOT think "being OCD" is cool, and am aware of the condition. I'm sorry if my casual use of it is a problem to you, but that's no reason to identify people who use it casually as ignorant. It'd be better to simply inform them.

But, anyway, I still fixed it.

Happy?

(P.S. People who rudely call others ignorant rather than informing them annoy me. But, do you care? No. So, bugger off.)




phanAn 
62669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
61 / F / OP,FL
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
I noticed the lack of proper grammer with the invention of texting and all those initial only quotes, : eg LOL,WTF and substituting letters 4 words!
U know what I mean?
33021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
Not really. I figure it's 1) a typo or 2) the person isn't a native speaker. As someone mentioned below, poor vocabulary usage does bother me, more in speaking and more formal areas of writing though. The only time it will actually really piss me off is when people deploy the incorrect words in an effort to sound intelligent, but fail. I often lose my temper and the waaaaaaambulance is soon called to the scene.

On a slightly related note, probably my biggest pet peeve is being incorrectly corrected for my grammar. Again, not so much online, as in the other situations. ESPECIALLY if the person is not a native speaker of English. I rage over that for some reason. It's incredibly presumptuous, and something I would never have the audacity to do. People bleat about how Americans don't respect other nationalities and cultures, but that phenomenon really speaks volumes.
9341 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / irst
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
Ha ha, yes. Totally.
Or especially when they use a completely different word.

Like recently this ANN post used "palate" when they meant "palette"!
palate = taste
palette = color spectrum
And they did it twice! It drove me nuts! See? All these days later I'm still feeling OCD about.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2012-03-02/interview-tomomi-mochizuki-on-house-of-five-leaves

If it's in informal situations, or where you've got lots of ESL people, I don't mind so much. But in official situations I get TICKED

So yesh! Grammar faults does irks I!
16600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / In a apple tree
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
At times yes it does.
Tsulaa 
39740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / F / Northern Virginia
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
Ideal vs. Idea
Example: "It was my ideal to use the wrong word in this sentence." Irritating, yes, but by no means the worst.

My ultimate pet peeve is:
Sex vs. Gender

Why are people so skittish about using the word sex? “Male and Female are sex categories, while masculine and feminine are gender categories.”

Sex: "My pregnant girlfriend doesn't want to learn the sex of her child before it's born." What is being discussed is a biological/living entity who's sex, once determined, would fit into a specific category such as male, female, hermaphroditic, etc.

Gender: "In the Spanish language, the usage of "el" or "la" is determined by the gender of the subject. "Gato" is masculine, thus the word become "el gato." Vice verse with "casa" since it's feminine = "la casa."
69682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
Not really, unless it's my own. I try to use correct grammar, but I'm probably really bad at it.
67725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 3/8/12 , edited 3/8/12
For the record, I don't usually care about dangling participles or changing tenses, narrative style, from one sentence to the next.

I do 'care' (ie form a judgement, have an opinion) when the grammar errors, spelling errors, or general weakness in the written word impede effective and clear communication. I'm not to worried about people who have an obvious ESL issue either. It's native speakers of English who cannot effectively use the only tool we have for communicating thought that scare me.

So many people can't ask a simple philosophical or logical or conceptual question. every other topic starter is so unclear that they might as well be asking 'how long is a piece of string?" People present opinions or positions and get upset when they prove unable to defend them or even clarify them.

This is more than just something that doesn't matter because no one cares about the internet. I fear it implies a wider lack of defense on the battlefield of ideas. And that is dangerous. That's How scoundrels get into political office and dictators create mind controlled puppets. People who cannot decipher language or use logic ... will prove that the pen is mightier than the sword because someone else's words will control not just their swords but the the minds that direct those sword arms.

33021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
This is all very true.



papagolfwhiskey wrote:

For the record, I don't usually care about dangling participles or changing tenses, narrative style, from one sentence to the next.

I do 'care' (ie form a judgement, have an opinion) when the grammar errors, spelling errors, or general weakness in the written word impede effective and clear communication. I'm not to worried about people who have an obvious ESL issue either. It's native speakers of English who cannot effectively use the only tool we have for communicating thought that scare me.

So many people can't ask a simple philosophical or logical or conceptual question. every other topic starter is so unclear that they might as well be asking 'how long is a piece of string?" People present opinions or positions and get upset when they prove unable to defend them or even clarify them.

This is more than just something that doesn't matter because no one cares about the internet. I fear it implies a wider lack of defense on the battlefield of ideas. And that is dangerous. That's How scoundrels get into political office and dictators create mind controlled puppets. People who cannot decipher language or use logic ... will prove that the pen is mightier than the sword because someone else's words will control not just their swords but the the minds that direct those sword arms.



Posted 3/8/12 , edited 3/8/12
The only time I really care about grammar is if it's for something important or changes the meaning of my sentence.
On forums etc I really couldn't careless. The only pet peeve that I have as far language is the use of "addicting" instead
of "addictive", it just sounds wrong to me, but it's a minor one. I admit I have trolled people who have replied to my
posts on other forums just to correct my grammar. A bit childish, but strangely satisfying.
15765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Greed Island
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
i hate when you say LIKE to many times.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.