First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Religion: A Mental Illness?
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12

heIIow wrote:


Mangasurf wrote:

I'm grateful to have someone experiencing a severe and incurable mental illness like yourself, to guide me step by step in dealing with this newly diagnosed mental illness that I am suffering from. Thank you again.


As a matter of fact, you're correct. I'm a Christian too, which is why I perfectly understand how you feel. I'm currently treating this disorder, yet in the corner of my mind I can't erase the existence of God because of my upbringing. I'm in the same boat as you.


ehh don't put me in the same boat here. I may not agree with 100% of the Church's teachings and I wasn't raised Christian, i chose it myself a few years back, but I still believe in "God", a being/creator beyond our comprehension and thought process as humans.

I'm not trying to force Him out of my mind, I'm content with Him staying there.

It seems to me that you are currently waging a civil war with your own mind.



hey look another hypothesis. v

Just because this "God" is not present within our mortal senses, doesn't mean he doesn't exist.) Humans are a young species in comparison to how old the universe is. Like babies. How can babies even begin to comprehend anything complex or beyond physical senses. New discoveries are being made every single day (to prove my point, nothing is stable). Being such a infantile species, throwing anything out of the realm of possibility is preposterous.
Posted 3/7/12

Mangasurf wrote:

ehh don't put me in the same boat here. I may not agree with 100% of the Church's teachings and I wasn't raised Christian, i chose it myself a few years back, but I still believe in "God", a being/creator beyond our comprehension and thought process as humans.

I'm not trying to force Him out of my mind, I'm content with Him staying there.

It seems to me that you are currently waging a civil war with your own mind.



hey look another hypothesis. v

Just because this "God" is not present within our mortal senses, doesn't mean he doesn't exist.) Humans are a young species in comparison to how old the universe. Like babies. How can babies even begin to comprehend anything complex or beyond our physical senses. New discoveries are being made every single day. Being such a infantile species, throwing anything out of the realm of possibility is preposterous.


I guess you could equate treatment of mental disorders with civil war inside the head. Also congratulations for realising that this is a hypothesis and not a debate. It's up for criticism, because it follows the principle of trial-and-error. There's no point in bringing up my "intentions".

However if you want to discuss the validity of religion, go to another thread. This is addressing the mental disorder prevalent in the religious community.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12

heIIow wrote:


Mangasurf wrote:

ehh don't put me in the same boat here. I may not agree with 100% of the Church's teachings and I wasn't raised Christian, i chose it myself a few years back, but I still believe in "God", a being/creator beyond our comprehension and thought process as humans.

I'm not trying to force Him out of my mind, I'm content with Him staying there.

It seems to me that you are currently waging a civil war with your own mind.



hey look another hypothesis. v

Just because this "God" is not present within our mortal senses, doesn't mean he doesn't exist.) Humans are a young species in comparison to how old the universe. Like babies. How can babies even begin to comprehend anything complex or beyond our physical senses. New discoveries are being made every single day. Being such a infantile species, throwing anything out of the realm of possibility is preposterous.


I guess you could equate treatment of mental disorders with civil war inside the head. Also congratulations for realising that this is a hypothesis and not a debate. It's up for criticism, because it follows the principle of trial-and-error. There's no point in bringing up my "intentions".

However if you want to discuss the validity of religion, go to another thread. This is addressing the mental disorder prevalent in the religious community.


A self-diagnosed mentally disordered individual, diagnosing billions of humans with a similar mental illness.

'Sounds legit. Carry on good sir.

Edit* hmmm..... this actually might catch on and generate tons of income. I want in.
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12
^Actually I diagnosed you first in order to diagnose myself.

Edit: ^Credit goes all to you. There's no such thing as original content, and I don't want the illuminati to come and erase my existence.
3040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / BEHIND YOU!
Offline
Posted 3/7/12


This actually makes a lot of sense, its a shame that all these people are bashing you about it

the one thing i dont like is that your not taking your own advice about ignoring them
Posted 3/7/12


Your first six paragraphs describing the deep and amazing history of religion, despite your efforts were useless for the topic. I've already stated that religion has its benefits. Do you see people giving lectures on the "history" of circumcision in efforts to bring back the tradition now?


However to get to your point. Every religion and even Atheist who constitute a religion upon themselves have their sets of crazies. Fanaticism is not just set within a Religion, same with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. These mental diseases do not have a 'fix' on religion. If someone is a Fanatic to the extreme and has OCD, but amplifies it through their religion. They are already sick as it is, its not because of their religion made them that way.


It's true that other prevalent mental "diseases" may have influence, but that's not negating the current point in discussion. Imposing religious beliefs onto children makes them that way, as I've explained in my first post. Your post has a lot of words but no actual substance.


What I find ironic is how so many Atheist believe Religion squashed Science, I submit to you John Winthrop of the Puritans who used logic, reason and science to guide Mass. Bay Company. As well was a proponent of small pox inoculation. Issac Newton was also religious. Same goes with Galileo, Da Vinci, and my favorite Darwin who actually struggled with his faith and science. There's also seems to be a disconnect with the fact that not many people during this time were avid readers. Heck science itself was considered a gentlemen's novelty and was considered something to be done just for fun during those centuries. What the Church did (mainly Roman Catholic) was because it was already losing power. The papacy was being marginalized by world powers who were moving towards Secularism. Luther changed the dynamic (along with the ability of the Gutenberg printing press and Bible) by saying anyone can be saved by "Faith alone".


I've already given an example of a "intelligent figure" being under the influence of the blind-spot effect. You can bring up as many famous figures as you want, but it doesn't "refute" any points at all. I'm applying this to the general religious community, and bringing up a couple of people who didn't experience the affects of blind-spot in rational thinking does not negate the idea at all.


Morally, religion is a better teacher then the state could ever be. Its the idea of not knowing what happens at the end and with religion it keeps people on the strait and narrow. I suggest you read Franklin's autobiography and pay attention to when he tells his friends that Religion is Bunk. They take advantage of him because they throw out their religious scruples, when he admits that Religion does a public good by instilling morals into people. He argues that church no longer should be in government but should make proper citizens. Perhaps that's the problem we face now, with secularism hitting its zenith. Sure you'll say 'I have my morals but I believe religion is sickly disease'. However the only reason why you have your morals was because of the installation of them when you were younger. Also societal pressure does keep up that moral tone despite all the crookedness that has been going on.


"Morally" doesn't matter. I'm speaking from a scientific perspective. However if you're addressing my point that imposing religion onto children contradicts free-will, then feel free to directly prove my statement wrong.


Just as you may have lost your faith in believing there is a God, you just replaced it by having faith that there is no God. Faith hasn't changed you just reversed the flow of your thinking.


...Aaaand irrelevant. Byebye!
39611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
its funny how these religious people are first ones to bite into this thread. To me it seems like u get easily offended (insecure person). The world is not all around you and your religion. So basicly when people want to talk about something else than how awesome your religion is. Please dont be that pathetic to come here and try shove it up our mouths :3
I am an atheist, i do not believe in these gods. But i do believe in paranormal activity. Ghosts.
I cannot relate to any religion because i am myself i wont follow that certain path.
I accept religion but not when it becomes an obsession. Like if i deny your god(not rude like, but that it just comes clear middle of a conversation). This obsessed person attacks me verbally saying i go to hell and such. Are you a god? Can you tell me that im goin for hell. Dont judge me. I think its this obsession that makes it seem like a mental illness but its just basic weak instinct for man who has found some comfort but does not think twice whether its right or wrong and does everything to justify it (religion,god,etc.).

What i wish to say is that people should grow up to listen to themselves not bound to some religion and find their own view of life.
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/7/12

WindsOfHate wrote:

its funny how these religious people are first ones to bite into this thread. To me it seems like u get easily offended (insecure person). The world is not all around you and your religion. So basicly when people want to talk about something else than how awesome your religion is. Please dont be that pathetic to come here and try shove it up our mouths :3
I am an atheist, i do not believe in these gods. But i do believe in paranormal activity. Ghosts.
I cannot relate to any religion because i am myself i wont follow that certain path.
I accept religion but not when it becomes an obsession. Like if i deny your god(not rude like, but that it just comes clear middle of a conversation). This obsessed person attacks me verbally saying i go to hell and such. Are you a god? Can you tell me that im goin for hell. Dont judge me. I think its this obsession that makes it seem like a mental illness but its just basic weak instinct for man who has found some comfort but does not think twice whether its right or wrong and does everything to justify it (religion,god,etc.).

What i wish to say is that people should grow up to listen to themselves not bound to some religion and find their own view of life.


If you saw a thread saying


Please ignore the atheistic posters that retaliate to this thread (which may likely overwhelm in percentage), and just imagine them to be little insects flying around. DO NOT RESPOND.


... wouldn't you be just as offended?
Think about it.

You do not start a thread by insulting the people who disagree with you.
If you want a decent discussion about such a sensitive topic,
the first thing you wanna do is to avoid unnecessary fights.




i do not believe in these gods. But i do believe in paranormal activity. Ghosts.


Kiiiii.


Posted 3/7/12
You will burn in hell for this.
Posted 3/7/12
looooks
a wall of text
dies i like how people call people these religious people like ah nice

( neons way people that alive in god or if neons pist be more like stupid bible bashes or religise pricks


thing is religion = god wtf god = something big may not be human well defuntly fucking not

thing is religion
and non religuse people
are like booms

at the end day both sids still wonder wtf is god
just rilige people cold it name what ever the fuck it is but the shit that rilion says after god what god god did is lode of shit

but i challinge if gods real then whos the crater of god
and whos the crater of that god

becuse as it stands sicunts has evidence that sun inplods and shit makeing new planits over and over and over
but onl thing they dont no is what made the plaints to bewhith

people say there's answer to every think tbh there fucking aint like saying why as bisect got egg in it like ummm
39611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
"You do not start a thread by insulting the people who disagree with you.
If you want a decent discussion about such a sensitive topic,
the first thing you wanna do is to avoid unnecessary fights."

Yet you still bite into it read my previous post and think... that what am i trying to say by it
Posted 3/7/12
Okay...so...

Will some one hurry the FUCK up and prove this "theory" wrong?

I'm being honest here. I came up with a joke, and realised that it could possibly be considered true. In essence, I am a Christian and I believe in God. Now after hours no one has directly proven this to be bullshit, and I'm starting to experience what you call SCAT (if you've taken XTC before) because of how boring the world would become if this was proven to be true.

-__-.

And no, I can't convince myself that an invalid rebuttal is a valid rebuttal. This isn't getting funny anymore. -__-.
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Orlando
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
Now I can see why you came up with this hypothesis and though in a fashion it makes sense I will have to disagree with you about how it is a mental disorder.

My reasoning why is due to the fact that if you were to classify believing in a higher power or beings as a mental illness then would you not also have to classify being an atheist or agnostic as a mental illness as well.

Now we go into nature versus nurture aspect of this. You are not born believing in a god/goddess. Most are raised into believing such things. It's like being raised to believe in Santa Claus, is this having a mental illness. No, it is the growing mind of a young child being taught things by a parent or guardian.

Now going into the later years of a persons life. I yet again do not believe this is a mental illness at this point either because the person has had time to think about whether or not they believe in (insert random religion here.)

Just my thoughts on it.
Posted 3/7/12

shadowfang666 wrote:

Now I can see why you came up with this hypothesis and though in a fashion it makes sense I will have to disagree with you about how it is a mental disorder.

My reasoning why is due to the fact that if you were to classify believing in a higher power or beings as a mental illness then would you not also have to classify being an atheist or agnostic as a mental illness as well.

Now we go into nature versus nurture aspect of this. You are not born believing in a god/goddess. Most are raised into believing such things. It's like being raised to believe in Santa Claus, is this having a mental illness. No, it is the growing mind of a young child being taught things by a parent or guardian.

Now going into the later years of a persons life. I yet again do not believe this is a mental illness at this point either because the person has had time to think about whether or not they believe in (insert random religion here.)

Just my thoughts on it.


Thank you. Done, and done. I'm taking your word.

____LOCK THIS THREAD____
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12

WindsOfHate wrote:

"You do not start a thread by insulting the people who disagree with you.
If you want a decent discussion about such a sensitive topic,
the first thing you wanna do is to avoid unnecessary fights."

Yet you still bite into it read my previous post and think... that what am i trying to say by it



I didn't "bite" into anything. I just pointed out the mistake the OP did.
And I read your post and all I got from it was that you believe in ghosts
and how much you dislike people who follow their religion. Although I'm not judging you or anything.

With that said, I'm neither for nor against religion so I'll let you kids debate all you want.





heIIow wrote:

Thank you. Done, and done. I'm taking your word.

____LOCK THIS THREAD____


You should report this thread to the moderators if you want this thread to get locked.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.