First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
STOP JOSEPH KONY ! MAKE THE WORLD AWARE OF HIS ACTIONS !
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
i support this idea. mainly because of Gundam 00. i signed the petition and donated 5 bucks.

but i agree with the haters the fact is like many people say. you take out the big man, there kids will get stronger and take you down. basically the cycle of hatred.

i find that the video is idiotic for the fact that they think that arresting Kony is enough to stop the stealing of children. if you wanna stop the LRA you destroy it in its entirety. an all out war, and you kill those kids that your were trying to rescue. you kill him, some kid that grew up with him will just take power. and the cycle is ganna continue.

i find that people, are like how people in the past felt about communism. today we accepted it, but not fully. basically, you fear that it spreads to you and the people you know. the idea that it relates to you. i am not saying that its ok for kids to be abducted.

also we are giving them money to become more powerful, not that i care about this topic i just saw it somewhere and will repeat it on here: "just like what happened in the middle east, we trained them and now we are getting attacked by them... deja vu"

what im saying is, the vid and sites doesn't exemplify what is the actual procedure. i feel that too many people are easily drawn in on this. its like when your trying to employ somebody, you gatta know everything about them that you are legally capable of before hiring them. what i see happening here is that your hiring the first person that comes in, the thing is he coulda been just released for being a mass serial killer/ pedofile/ rapist on more than 20 seperate accounts. its ganna sink ya down, or you may be his next target.

the video is very poorly done, all it is is meant to motivate your everyday civilian. it doesn't have all the facts necessary.



19188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/7/12

wolfsaiga wrote:

i support this idea. mainly because of Gundam 00. i signed the petition and donated 5 bucks.

but i agree with the haters the fact is like many people say. you take out the big man, there kids will get stronger and take you down. basically the cycle of hatred.

i find that the video is idiotic for the fact that they think that arresting Kony is enough to stop the stealing of children. if you wanna stop the LRA you destroy it in its entirety. an all out war, and you kill those kids that your were trying to rescue. you kill him, some kid that grew up with him will just take power. and the cycle is ganna continue.

i find that people, are like how people in the past felt about communism. today we accepted it, but not fully. basically, you fear that it spreads to you and the people you know. the idea that it relates to you. i am not saying that its ok for kids to be abducted.

also we are giving them money to become more powerful, not that i care about this topic i just saw it somewhere and will repeat it on here: "just like what happened in the middle east, we trained them and now we are getting attacked by them... deja vu"

what im saying is, the vid and sites doesn't exemplify what is the actual procedure. i feel that too many people are easily drawn in on this. its like when your trying to employ somebody, you gatta know everything about them that you are legally capable of before hiring them. what i see happening here is that your hiring the first person that comes in, the thing is he coulda been just released for being a mass serial killer/ pedofile/ rapist on more than 20 seperate accounts. its ganna sink ya down, or you may be his next target.

the video is very poorly done, all it is is meant to motivate your everyday civilian. it doesn't have all the facts necessary.





I agree, and the fact that they have an official day to put up posters for a whole night? what if he's captured any day? Why can't they do that now. The video sounded like someone coming to my doorstep to sell me suspicious goods.
71569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Other
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12

mistacrezz wrote:

Listen the man is a monster and he needs to be stopped i may not have the man power nor the publicity to do anything completely major but i will be damned to look the other way others are doing way more then i can if they can have hope so can i and so can the people that feels like there should be something done it is honestly not that that hard to just spread the word and make other people aware that a man like that doing something as horrid like that for the past and over 20 years and it may reach others that has the power to stop this so called human being it is your choice to get involved or not because what if a man like that is in your area? Or if he decides to spread over near your homes?! if people in our countries dont give a shit he will continue and may grow enough balls to come where you sleep yes i understand signing a petition isnt a great impact its just to show that we the people are in demand


A run on sentence is hard to read, also, punctuation and grammar would make your point seem more valid, but I digress.

This guy might be a "monster" but let's be honest, did you know about him 3 years ago when he was still doing all this shit? Probably not, did your government know about this guy? Maybe, if they did then the reason they haven't done anything is almost certainly because they gain nothing from it, think about it, if all the first world governments wanted to do something about these PEOPLE (I can't stress enough that there is more than just this guy) then they would be financially bled dry by foreign wars and gain NOTHING from doing so.

That's the problem with ethical issues like this, from what is commonly held by society our governments ethically should do something, but no body is willing to pay for what is ethically "right", even when the payment is made and people step up to do the ethically right thing, people still get hurt and the government cops all the flack, but still gains nothing from it, and life is all about what YOU can gain from it (by you I mean the reader).

On a side note, using popular scare tactics like "what if this guy was your neighbor, how would you feel if he was recruiting your kids and telling them to kill you" are great and all, but they don't logically hold, if this guy came to Australia he'd be arrested at the airport, if a guy like this tried to spring up in Australia he'd be arrested, because there is a vested interest in guarding our borders from foreign threats and keeping our populace safe, but peace keeping abroad is done more for the "look at what we are doing to better the world, vote for us" than any sort of "good" it does.

15153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In your dreams...
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
Its sad indeed... But its life, and we have to live with it...
9314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12
Another post that was linked to me by a friend.

credits: http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble


We got trouble.

For those asking what you can do to help, please link to visiblechildren.tumblr.com wherever you see KONY 2012 posts. And tweet a link to this page to famous people on Twitter who are talking about KONY 2012!

I do not doubt for a second that those involved in KONY 2012 have great intentions, nor do I doubt for a second that Joseph Kony is a very evil man. But despite this, I’m strongly opposed to the KONY 2012 campaign.

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’m not alone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

Still, the bulk of Invisible Children’s spending isn’t on supporting African militias, but on awareness and filmmaking. Which can be great, except that Foreign Affairs has claimed that Invisible Children (among others) “manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.” He’s certainly evil, but exaggeration and manipulation to capture the public eye is unproductive, unprofessional and dishonest.

As Chris Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”

Still, Kony’s a bad guy, and he’s been around a while. Which is why the US has been involved in stopping him for years. U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has sent multiple missions to capture or kill Kony over the years. And they’ve failed time and time again, each provoking a ferocious response and increased retaliative slaughter. The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths, an impact that needs to be minimized as much as possible. Each attempt brings more retaliation. And yet Invisible Children supports military intervention. Kony has been involved in peace talks in the past, which have fallen through. But Invisible Children is now focusing on military intervention.

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012.

~ Grant Oyston

Grant Oyston is a sociology and political science student at Acadia University in Nova Scotia, Canada. You can help spread the word about this by linking to his blog at visiblechildren.tumblr.com anywhere you see posts about KONY 2012.

Please do not email Grant except to provide alternative causes, or with media requests, as I am no longer able to read emails (which I’m receiving at a rate of over 1000 an hour).
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12

Coffeebot wrote:


mistacrezz wrote:

Listen the man is a monster and he needs to be stopped i may not have the man power nor the publicity to do anything completely major but i will be damned to look the other way others are doing way more then i can if they can have hope so can i and so can the people that feels like there should be something done it is honestly not that that hard to just spread the word and make other people aware that a man like that doing something as horrid like that for the past and over 20 years and it may reach others that has the power to stop this so called human being it is your choice to get involved or not because what if a man like that is in your area? Or if he decides to spread over near your homes?! if people in our countries dont give a shit he will continue and may grow enough balls to come where you sleep yes i understand signing a petition isnt a great impact its just to show that we the people are in demand


A run on sentence is hard to read, also, punctuation and grammar would make your point seem more valid, but I digress.

This guy might be a "monster" but let's be honest, did you know about him 3 years ago when he was still doing all this shit? Probably not, did your government know about this guy? Maybe, if they did then the reason they haven't done anything is almost certainly because they gain nothing from it, think about it, if all the first world governments wanted to do something about these PEOPLE (I can't stress enough that there is more than just this guy) then they would be financially bled dry by foreign wars and gain NOTHING from doing so.

That's the problem with ethical issues like this, from what is commonly held by society our governments ethically should do something, but no body is willing to pay for what is ethically "right", even when the payment is made and people step up to do the ethically right thing, people still get hurt and the government cops all the flack, but still gains nothing from it, and life is all about what YOU can gain from it (by you I mean the reader).

On a side note, using popular scare tactics like "what if this guy was your neighbor, how would you feel if he was recruiting your kids and telling them to kill you" are great and all, but they don't logically hold, if this guy came to Australia he'd be arrested at the airport, if a guy like this tried to spring up in Australia he'd be arrested, because there is a vested interest in guarding our borders from foreign threats and keeping our populace safe, but peace keeping abroad is done more for the "look at what we are doing to better the world, vote for us" than any sort of "good" it does.



Just by your tone of writing, I can tell that you are far more concerned with yourself and how you knew about the topic before everyone else. You feel that you should be given more credit for that fact, and in a sense feel "superior" to those who are just finding out a and wish to assist in the matter.

Just shut up, please. I've known about this for years now, and I finally am ecstatic that people are choosing to do something about it. All you are doing is sub-conciously seeking attention for your prior-knowledge and wish to be acknowledged for it. Do good deeds for the sake of those in need, not for the sake of your own self-worth. In your case its probably neither, but just hypocritical spewing.
1338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Yorozuya
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
I agree, at least. :|
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 3/7/12

-FueledbyRamen wrote:



I agree, and the fact that they have an official day to put up posters for a whole night? what if he's captured any day? Why can't they do that now. The video sounded like someone coming to my doorstep to sell me suspicious goods.


haha that was the exact example that i was trying to come up with, fail.
Darko1 
34552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Mexico
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
i agree on stooping this guy but hey, they are spending a lot of money on making him famous, ¬¬
84072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/7/12


While we may not agree on everything mangasurf for this I <3 you.
Posted 3/7/12
Question:

I am in no way shape of form taking the seriousness away to this situation it is indeed important and needs be addressed quickly.
But what does blasting this certain event virally change? Instead of making countless web based groups, and posting the vid wherever you see fit. Go out and actually take heed of this event talk to you congressman/representatives things that actually change things.
Awareness is just that awareness. Its like global warming everyone knows its happening but not doing a damning yet most of are aware of it.
This is also not the only pressing issue/matter facing Africa as a content. On going famine, starvation, rebels still fucking up the place, etc etc. These problems are still raging there dont just stop at posting on your computer get out and do something and dont stop just at Kony
71569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Other
Offline
Posted 3/7/12

Mangasurf wrote:

Just by your tone of writing, I can tell that you are far more concerned with yourself and how you knew about the topic before everyone else. You feel that you should be given more credit for that fact, and in a sense feel "superior" to those who are just finding out a and wish to assist in the matter.

Just shut up, please. I've known about this for years now, and I finally am ecstatic that people are choosing to do something about it. All you are doing is sub-conciously seeking attention for your prior-knowledge and wish to be acknowledged for the it. Do good deeds for the sake of those in need, not for the sake of your own self-worth. In your case its probably neither, but just hypocritical spewing.


I am selfish that's true, I have known for a long time that these people are around, but this guy specifically I only heard about today and I still haven't looked into it. My "tone" should suggest that I'm pissed off that people are up in arms about this guy, but not the hundreds of people that came before him or the hundreds that will come after.

Did it occur to you that my supposed "superiority" is a case of me actually taking more than 5 minutes to think about these issues? Not knowing about these issues usually means you are either too young or just plain ignorant because the information has been there for a long time now, it just requires work to find, which is more than most people are willing to do.
In addition to that, many people are now jumping on the bandwagon, donating their $5 and spreading the word, but few of them have thought about what will happen in the future, few people actually think about what their money actually does or who it goes to, so if I come off as having a sense of superiority it's because I've taken the time to think about and debate these issues rather than taking 5 minutes to be an internet activist and forgetting about it in six months.

Do you know about Live Aid? It raised a huge quantity of money to feed starving people in Ethiopia, the problem was, Ethiopia didn't have the infrastructure to pass that aid to the people, what little was passed on generally went to the local warlords, which indirectly fuels the oppression and starvation of the people.
I'm not saying don't donate money, but if you DO donate money then you should do some research into what your money actually does rather than donate and forget, because you might be indirectly supporting the system that breeds these people.

And no I don't nor will I donate money to these causes, as I'd rather actively give time and effort than money, as I can see what that time and effort are doing, I can't see what the money is doing, case in point, I don't donate money to my local abused animal shelter, instead I adopt dogs because I'd rather give my time to giving the dog a better life than give money to prolong it's miserable life.
34282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / OutOfMyMIND.
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
Hahaa i honestly dont give a fuck about my run on sentences or any way im writing and yea i did know about the dude back then..this is for those that doesn't

yea maybe we may not gain anything. your right that is the problem wit ethical issues like this one because the worlds government is to god damn worried about hurtin there pockets and your talking about people gettin hurt for and actual cause then people get hurt for no apparent reason i guess ur days wasnt that bright

scare tactics? haha i being utmost serious the guy has been doing it for 20 years wat makes you think that he couldnt stroll in to ur country or mine and remember it doesnt necessarily has to be the man himself do wat he does

buh listen i completely understand where your comming from buh We are lucky to be born in a high tech and highly educated society, but we always get overwhelmed on what we have and we never care about whats going on on the other side of the world the whole point of KONY 2012 is to get people attention and show what WE can do for the world, for the people whos really unlucky who were born in these kind of society. And you and anybody else that just masturbating cant take a slight interest beside urself when there is a kid prob who is getting killed in Uganda right now then less likely someone gettin killed on my block or your area
96140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Indiana
Offline
Posted 3/7/12
http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/
please read this before you support it,

Kony is a bad man and needs to be stopped but this organization should not be funded or used,
they support a military that has high records of murder, rape, and the President of Uganda used child soldiers to come in power in the first place, plus only 31% of the money goes to helping the problem, a lot of it goes to the people in charges pockets, for more information read the ling, also look up something before you support it
59713 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/7/12 , edited 3/7/12

mistacrezz wrote:


KONY 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc


TO ALL YOU POSTING ABOUT KONY 2012, READ THIS: http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.