First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Are you really an Anime fan if you don't watch a specific Anime?
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 3/20/12

funnyginsan wrote:


theYchromosome wrote:


Tashfinz wrote:

Surely if you support the release of the anime you watch, like purchasing the DVD's, Blu-rays and Subcription on Crunchyroll proves that you're a fan already by supporting the industry and if you enjoy watching them then who's right is it to deny you that you're not a "true fan" when you yourself know that you are as long as you watch Anime and support it and that is what makes you a true fan not the Anime you watch.


No. I do all those things and I am not a true fan.


I see where you are coming from with this from your first post but I will say, if you do all of those things, many people will label you as an anime fan. You also have 4 anime convert stickers on your profile. Finishing four series in a month? Cmon .... JOIN US..... JOIN US ... LOL ...... jk .. jk If you enjoy anime but don't want to be called a fan then fine JUST ENJOY IT. I still don't see the harm in being a little fanatical over anime though, especially on an anime streaming site in the forums. Haters gonna hate yo, Keep calm and carry on (that was for you not for me, just fyi ... basically just keep doing what your doing and screw the labels). Thanks for supporting the anime industry my non-fan anime lover. :)


Everyone loves semantics!
85072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/20/12

jtjumper wrote:


Tashfinz wrote:



How do you think I feel I recently got into the series and just caught up to the latest episode :(


Are you sure the blog wasn't trolling?


Did some digging around on the site and the anime is just going on hiatus ... which sucks but at least it isn't ending

Ohh also to your last comment --- yeah it does seem to be semantics lol but I kinda see where she is coming from so I dropped it.
23134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 3/20/12
oh gosh.
I KNOW.

it's like i keep on getting told im not a real anime fan because i haven't watched bleach and code geass or caught up to naruto.
it makes me really mad because first of all i've watched A LOT of anime. second, yeah those shows might be like super popular and main stream...
but seriously it's like saying...
you don't like music unless you like k-pop.

see, kpop is mainstream and A LOT of people listen to it, but lets just say one person doesn't does that mean they don't like music? no.
75053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/20/12 , edited 3/20/12


I agree wholeheartedly sir. Well put (my damn auto correct made it HEATEDLY? Wtf is that?.. *cough*)

(oh and I was mostly troll taunting I don't like DBZ, but I did give it a shot)

BUT If you don't like Cowboy Bebop, you're a heretic.




Indeed my good sir, indeed.
753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 3/20/12
Not really. you just have to watch any anime you like.

and those are mainstream, there are always non-mainstream anime. judging by just that predicaments is lame so don't believe people when they say that to you.

for me, non-mainstream anime are more interesting than mainstream, cause mainstream anime are always biased
70 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/12
well i don't really think it hard when someone call me not an anime fan coz' i'm not watching a certain anime so i just ignore them like a boss
me is me , i'm a anime fan
85072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/20/12

ThePinkRanger wrote:



BUT If you don't like Cowboy Bebop, you're a heretic.




I do find myself having a hard time saying "Oh, you didn't like it? That's cool" With that particular anime I will admit. But to put it here after everything we talked about? You sir/mam are a genius. LOL Can't wait to see the reactions.

A tip of the hat to you
37486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 3/20/12
I thought that being a fan of "something" was to either watch/play/do it. A basketball fan watches basketball. So an anime fan watches anime. Okay so you aren't a Naruto fan, so what?
75053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/20/12 , edited 3/20/12


Oh yes. Quite sir. Quite.



47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/12


I am seriously debating whether or not I should write this, because I really don't want to make a big deal out of my post. I've got some free time though, so what the hell, I'll reply. While it is a slight matter of semantics, the point I'm trying to make is a little beyond that. Perhaps I made a semantic argument, but the point is a little different. I think ginsan got it, but I will just make it clear.

Looking at the initial question, there is a specific point that it looks like the OP is implying. When someone says "you're not a true fan if you don't watch this" they seem to imply that they are a true fan since they've watched it. What does it mean to be a true fan? I always think they are saying something like "you aren't crazy about anime the way I am," or, "you don't love anime the way I do." To an extent, you can see where they might be right. A person with a strong attachment to anime will likely have seen more anime than someone without it. However, as the OP states, having seen a specific anime doesn't necessarily make you a bigger fan than someone that hasn't seen it. My point in earlier posts was basically that having that sort of attachment isn't all that great. Why do anything more than enjoy the anime to your satisfaction? Why take your love for anime beyond that? I understand that most people that call themselves "fans" do just this. But there are others, ones that I consider "true fans," that take their disposition toward anime past enjoyment. They might watch a series simply because it is anime, watching it regardless of how good it is, simply because it will make them a bigger fan. They might sit through Captain Harlock just because it's a classic, and it would make them more of a fan. (I don't mean to insult Harlock here, it was just a little too cheesy for my taste -- I didn't finish it.) If you are a true anime fan, you will watch any anime, since it is, at least anime. More or less, I was bothered by the implications of the OP's question -- that being a true fan is something to have pride in. I don't know about that. I think it's more than a semantic problem. That is all.

Also, to clear things up, I am a male. Kurisu is probably my favorite character though, which explains my avatar. Plus my name is "theYchromosome." A very ironic mixup.
2709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / sleep
Offline
Posted 3/20/12
i don't really care of what other people have to say about what i watch...or should i say they have no right to categorize me
as an anime fan, or true anime fan. if i found something interesting to watch i will watch it xD
85072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/20/12

theYchromosome wrote:

My point in earlier posts was basically that having that sort of attachment isn't all that great. Why do anything more than enjoy the anime to your satisfaction? Why take your love for anime beyond that? I understand that most people that call themselves "fans" do just this.
But there are others, ones that I consider "true fans," that take their disposition toward anime past enjoyment.


Well here is the semantics part. I think you are referring to Otaku (american style). Being a "fan" of anime just means you like anime. Basically, it goes something like this (for me anyways but I am sure many people would agree)
MEGA - OTAKU
|
|
OTAKU
|
|
FAN
|
|
Watches anime occasionally

As for the "true fans" .... my experience has been that it is directed at a particular anime. Like a "true fan" of Gintama could name all the people that have ever showed up in that show and their relationships with one another. While this is perfectly fine and I go "WOW THAT IS SWEET" there are some who may say "I am better than you and enjoy Gintama more because I know these things." -_- ... I have a hard time remembering Kaguras brothers name but I think you can see I <3 Gintama. Maybe those are the people who have left a bad taste in your mouth? IDK.




theYchromosome wrote:
They might watch a series simply because it is anime, watching it regardless of how good it is, simply because it will make them a bigger fan. They might sit through Captain Harlock just because it's a classic, and it would make them more of a fan. (I don't mean to insult Harlock here, it was just a little too cheesy for my taste -- I didn't finish it.) If you are a true anime fan, you will watch any anime, since it is, at least anime.


I have always suspected such a thing has occurred (for those who watch 500+ series or whatever) but I have yet to confirm it. I mean who knows? Maybe they are just more open-minded than me ..... half of me believes that and the other half thinks they are as you said "Just watching anime because it is anime"



theYchromosome wrote:
More or less, I was bothered by the implications of the OP's question -- that being a true fan is something to have pride in. I don't know about that. I think it's more than a semantic problem. That is all.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the subject I just don't necessarily believe you are using the right words. I do appreciate the follow up explaining things though


theYchromosome wrote:
Also, to clear things up, I am a male. Kurisu is probably my favorite character though, which explains my avatar. Plus my name is "theYchromosome." A very ironic mixup.




Guys with girls avitars always confuse me. lol I think it is because in the forums I look at the avi and the post more than the name and then assign a "voice" to go along with it. So yours was a tsundere type and now you say you are a guy. Should have looked at the name more closely LOL



104099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/20/12
Are we pretending to have an intelligent forum post on the internet because it matters for our ego-e-pens?

47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/12

funnyginsan wrote:


I really appreciate your thoughts on the subject I just don't necessarily believe you are using the right words.



No worries, I'm probably wrong about it anyway. You made some good points that I hadn't considered. I learned something, which is more than I could say about most anything on the internet.


funnyginsan wrote:

and then assign a "voice" to go along with it. So yours was a tsundere type




After re-reading a bit of my posts, I could actually see that voice go with it. I've never been called a Tsundere before. lol.

But it's not like I think you did a good job or anything!



AnimeKami wrote:

Are we pretending to have an intelligent forum post on the internet because it matters for our ego-e-pens?



You're just saying that because you know my e-penis is bigger than yours.
104099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/20/12

theYchromosome wrote:


funnyginsan wrote:


I really appreciate your thoughts on the subject I just don't necessarily believe you are using the right words.



No worries, I'm probably wrong about it anyway. You made some good points that I hadn't considered. I learned something, which is more than I could say about most anything on the internet.


funnyginsan wrote:

and then assign a "voice" to go along with it. So yours was a tsundere type




After re-reading a bit of my posts, I could actually see that voice go with it. I've never been called a Tsundere before. lol.

But it's not like I think you did a good job or anything!



AnimeKami wrote:

Are we pretending to have an intelligent forum post on the internet because it matters for our ego-e-pens?





You're just saying that because you know my e-penis is bigger than yours.


my e-penis used to be huge but than i took an arrow in the dick more like multiple ban hammers.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.