First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Daylight Saving Time Change
37207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/8/12

Xie_Lang wrote:

I just don't understand why we do this to ourselves.
Most laws come from moral panic or corruption - take your pick.
23507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / FLORIDA
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
I like the time we have now.......
yet another major thing happening on my birth-date.
am I curse r something
36315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Where am I?
Offline
Posted 3/8/12

BioTube wrote:

Most laws come from moral panic or corruption - take your pick.

Do I have to?
13 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 3/8/12
Wow I didn't even know that was happening this weekend, thanks for the heads up.
49147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / queensland australia
Offline
Posted 3/9/12 , edited 3/9/12
first daylight savings doesn't effect the number of hours in the day therefore no actual energy saving should happen and all it means is everything happens 1 hour earlier.

where i live it would be pointless to add daylight savings as no real benefit is achieved from it
unless it was in winter where you have less daylight hours in the day
115567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Cαℓιғσяиια, Sʋи Ѵ...
Offline
Posted 3/9/12

TerraGamerX wrote:


prabashi wrote:

wait wat bout PST??? i live in Cali so idk


It IS in your time. "PST" = Pacific Standard Time, "PDT" = Pacific Daylight [Saving] Time. The middle letter merely changes based on whether daylight saving time is active or not. If you don't want to figure out which is currently accurate, "PT" is a wholly acceptable abbreviation.


okieeee thxxx 4 tellin meee
72066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 3/9/12

jason_smith wrote:

first daylight savings doesn't effect the number of hours in the day therefore no actual energy saving should happen and all it means is everything happens 1 hour earlier.

where i live it would be pointless to add daylight savings as no real benefit is achieved from it
unless it was in winter where you have less daylight hours in the day


Daylight Saving Time was established before electric lighting was a thing. It is largely irrelevant to modern society.
31274 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / NJ
Offline
Posted 3/9/12
I don't like the fact that I lose an hour of sleep
56572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / London
Offline
Posted 3/9/12
I'm quite sure that most people who don't live in the US wouldn't have had a clue about this weekends DST.

From what I can see, Europe is still sticking with the last Sunday of March (the 25th) so no time changes yet for those of us that live there.
58443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Mississippi (Unit...
Offline
Posted 3/10/12

TerraGamerX wrote:


jason_smith wrote:

first daylight savings doesn't effect the number of hours in the day therefore no actual energy saving should happen and all it means is everything happens 1 hour earlier.

where i live it would be pointless to add daylight savings as no real benefit is achieved from it
unless it was in winter where you have less daylight hours in the day


Daylight Saving Time was established before electric lighting was a thing. It is largely irrelevant to modern society.



I have wondered about the energy-savings argument, myself. Perhaps, for businesses that operate almost exclusively around the traditional 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. work schedule, you could save a bit on air conditioning cost by having people start and finish work an hour early, but that wouldn't really be a factor in March, so I don't know.
58443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Mississippi (Unit...
Offline
Posted 3/10/12

JKarma wrote:

@ TerraGamerX: Except for Arizona, which doesn't observe DST. (I'm from Arizona).


I imagine that this DST mess is particularly confusing for Arizonans. For all practical purposes, they spend part of the year in the Pacific time zone and part of the year in the Mountain time zone. I wonder if this causes any problems for cable network programming schedules?
32476 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / San Diego
Offline
Posted 3/10/12

TerraGamerX wrote:


jason_smith wrote:

first daylight savings doesn't effect the number of hours in the day therefore no actual energy saving should happen and all it means is everything happens 1 hour earlier.

where i live it would be pointless to add daylight savings as no real benefit is achieved from it
unless it was in winter where you have less daylight hours in the day


Daylight Saving Time was established before electric lighting was a thing. It is largely irrelevant to modern society.


No, not true...though it was originally suggested in the late 1700's by Benjamin Franklin, I believe...It wasn't actually used until during the first World War, and "electric lighting" was invented by then. Actually the U.S. wasn't even the first country to enact Day Light saving time, it was actually adopted in Europe first, and then the U.S followed suit.
The Wise Wizard
79721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 3/10/12

JediPrime wrote:

I don't like the fact that I lose an hour of sleep

But you gain an hour in the fall.

Personally, I am usually up when the time change rolls around on early Sunday morning, so it makes little difference to me.

39133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / North Europe Some...
Offline
Posted 3/10/12
Daylight Saving Time begins on 25 March 2012 02:00, The clock is set to go forward 1 hour at that time <- is what microsoft clock says here, am on GMT+01
12160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Austria
Offline
Posted 3/10/12
Good to know, thank you for the information!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.