First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
20 Years Ago, she punished you in the name of the moon!
48386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/14/12
I have the comic books, I haven't read them in 100 years!!!! haha ... seeing as how it's the 20th anniversary, I might have to peruse through again once for old time's sake!! ^_^
3230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

^ This.

Haha, I saw one episode of Stars on a much copied VHS once about 12 years ago... Blew my freakin mind compared to what I had previously /thought/ I knew about Sailor Moon. I think it was my first indication there was actually a difference between a dubbed version and an original version... Boy scouts, resbians, Pluto?!, USAGI!?!?! Mind still blown. I can see your the same age as I am, OP, so I definitely feel your exasperation!!

I think it really killed me when I found out her name was Bunny and they changed it in the American version >.< That was what made me start seeking out the originals; the dvds are uncut :)

Admittedly, I have not seen the entire series, just most of it, but Sailor Moon will always hold a special place in my heart ♥

Oh yeah, and if it makes you feel any better, Moonlight Densetsu is my ringtone, the compact activation sound is my text sound, and a fabulous color manga shot of Mamoru and Usagi is my background! ^_^



Latyfa I hope you've been following this thread, because it's posts like these that make my points very clear.

The point is, there was much much better ways to get around all the non-PG stuff that was in this anime without having to turn it into a 30 second insult of one's intelligence. And I'm talking about DiC here, the same company that gave me childhood classics like inspector gadget.

CWi took the ball, tried to make it right, but then dropped the ball way too much while forgetting there was a 5th season.

Also....


H3ctor87 wrote:

Sailor Moon is still awesome. Heck, super-powered pretty girls in skirts--come on. ^^ Sailor Mars is still my favorite and she's hot (bad pun, I know). It's a shock that the FCC had forced DiC to make it look like a kid's show even though it's more mature and darker as the series progresses. Actually, for some reason, I find 90's shoujos more mature than in the 2000's but that's another story. Anyway, S is my personal favorite season.

In my opinion, Sailor Moon is begging for a remake to follow the manga closer. Or rather, it NEEDS a remake. That would rock. I don't think it's fair that only FMA, Hunter x Hunter, and DBZ get remakes. Can you imagine how cool the battles and attacks would look in 2010's art? Eyegasm!

I'm thinking about reading the manga as well since it's shorter than the anime.




Look at the part I put in bold. What does that tell you about the points I was trying to make?

With that said, I agree completely that it's time for an anime remake to follow the manger much closer. Again I'll say it, if you have not seen the redone manga of sailor moon or the first U.S. printing of Sailor V, please check them out.

My favorite season was also S.
48386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/15/12

squirrel3d wrote:

With that said, I agree completely that it's time for an anime remake to follow the manger much closer. Again I'll say it, if you have not seen the redone manga of sailor moon or the first U.S. printing of Sailor V, please check them out.

My favorite season was also S.


What do you mean by "redone manga"? Are we referring to the comic books re-done, or like the novel style mangas?? Were they the same (they did have both, didn't they???)??

And like, how re-done? Art, translation, what? Not tryin to be a chop-buster, just inquisitive!!! ^_^
3230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/15/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

What do you mean by "redone manga"? Are we referring to the comic books re-done, or like the novel style mangas?? Were they the same (they did have both, didn't they???)??

And like, how re-done? Art, translation, what? Not tryin to be a chop-buster, just inquisitive!!! ^_^


Oh my, you didn't know about this?

Kodansha released a new redone manga here in the states back in september, releasing both Sailor V and Sailor Moon. While Sailor V already finished in November, Sailor Moon is still being released on a bi-monthly basis. As of right now, #4 of the manga has just been released this week and I should have my copy in the mail ether today or tomorrow.

Now why is this a big deal? Because they finally listened to fans like myself who's been screaming for a real translation to keep the original names, attacks, references, etc. Yep, it's been kept intact. And sales have been consistantly at the top for sometime. Check out a barnes and noble or amazon to find the redone manga.

In fact I'll help you....

http://www.amazon.com/Codename-Sailor-V-Vol-1/dp/1935429779/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331827808&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-Moon-1-Naoko-Takeuchi/dp/1935429744/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331827808&sr=1-1

48386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/15/12
I think I had heard about the release of Sailor V, but I guess I didn't realize changes were made to make them more accurate!! I definitely did not hear about the SM re-releases!!! I might have to invest... ^_^

Thanks for the links, trying to find a certain version of something on Amazon when you're not even sure what makes it special is rather difficult! :)

Okay, went to Barnes & Noble's website, apparently I can get the first 4 SMs that have been re-released AND qualify for free shipping... a grand total of less than $30!!! :3 I can hold off on Sailor V... or maybe I won't, who knows? :P

LOL @ this one I spotted!!! Check out that publication date!!! haha, amazing color for being 112 years old!!
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sailor-moon-novel-6-naoko-takeuchi/1003893452?ean=9781892213372&itm=10&usri=sailor+moon

Okay so I went chair-climbing again, first to get out my SM comic books, next to take a photo of them ^_^ I didn't remember them having the stupid American names, so I looked... at least they called her Bunny instead of Serena!!! haha

Even if the story's a little higgledy-piggledy, I still have a lot of comic books with beautiful art that makes me swoon. ♥

P. S. Hotaru for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!
14804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Hawaii
Offline
Posted 3/16/12 , edited 3/16/12
lol I thinking back when I was tried to pose like her and got my leg cracked That's anime is the legend!!
48386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

RumicoFiasceyZ wrote:

lol I thinking back when I was tried to pose like her and got my leg cracked That's anime is the legend!!


Oh my!!! ;_; That sounds painful!!!

Just goes to show-- anime does not come without risks!!!!! >.<
3462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

squirrel3d wrote:


EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

^ This.

Haha, I saw one episode of Stars on a much copied VHS once about 12 years ago... Blew my freakin mind compared to what I had previously /thought/ I knew about Sailor Moon. I think it was my first indication there was actually a difference between a dubbed version and an original version... Boy scouts, resbians, Pluto?!, USAGI!?!?! Mind still blown. I can see your the same age as I am, OP, so I definitely feel your exasperation!!

I think it really killed me when I found out her name was Bunny and they changed it in the American version >.< That was what made me start seeking out the originals; the dvds are uncut :)

Admittedly, I have not seen the entire series, just most of it, but Sailor Moon will always hold a special place in my heart ♥

Oh yeah, and if it makes you feel any better, Moonlight Densetsu is my ringtone, the compact activation sound is my text sound, and a fabulous color manga shot of Mamoru and Usagi is my background! ^_^



Latyfa I hope you've been following this thread, because it's posts like these that make my points very clear.

The point is, there was much much better ways to get around all the non-PG stuff that was in this anime without having to turn it into a 30 second insult of one's intelligence. And I'm talking about DiC here, the same company that gave me childhood classics like inspector gadget.

CWi took the ball, tried to make it right, but then dropped the ball way too much while forgetting there was a 5th season.

Also....


H3ctor87 wrote:

Sailor Moon is still awesome. Heck, super-powered pretty girls in skirts--come on. ^^ Sailor Mars is still my favorite and she's hot (bad pun, I know). It's a shock that the FCC had forced DiC to make it look like a kid's show even though it's more mature and darker as the series progresses. Actually, for some reason, I find 90's shoujos more mature than in the 2000's but that's another story. Anyway, S is my personal favorite season.

In my opinion, Sailor Moon is begging for a remake to follow the manga closer. Or rather, it NEEDS a remake. That would rock. I don't think it's fair that only FMA, Hunter x Hunter, and DBZ get remakes. Can you imagine how cool the battles and attacks would look in 2010's art? Eyegasm!

I'm thinking about reading the manga as well since it's shorter than the anime.




Look at the part I put in bold. What does that tell you about the points I was trying to make?

With that said, I agree completely that it's time for an anime remake to follow the manger much closer. Again I'll say it, if you have not seen the redone manga of sailor moon or the first U.S. printing of Sailor V, please check them out.

My favorite season was also S.


The FCC's goal is very vague, stupid, violates the 1st Amendment to its full extent (if you don't like it, flip the channel!) and they need to disappear. At least that's my understanding. "Protecting the public interest from 'objectionable' content", my ass! No different from typical moral groups I detest. Sorry for going a little off topic.
3230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

H3ctor87 wrote:


The FCC's goal is very vague, stupid, violates the 1st Amendment to its full extent (if you don't like it, flip the channel!) and they need to disappear. At least that's my understanding. "Protecting the public interest from 'objectionable' content", my ass! No different from typical moral groups I detest. Sorry for going a little off topic.


Wait let me clear something up here. The FCC...hell the media, has always had a double standard against japanese anime. The perfect examples of this are Cardcaptor Sakura and Tokyo Mew Mew. Two mostly harmless innocent animes and yet even they somehow had to be censored.

But yet we see this "objectionable content" in american cartoons. That's okay for it to be in american cartoons, but not in japanese animation!?

Double Standard.
58002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

squirrel3d wrote:

Wait let me clear something up here. The FCC...hell the media, has always had a double standard against japanese anime. The perfect examples of this are Cardcaptor Sakura and Tokyo Mew Mew. Two mostly harmless innocent animes and yet even they somehow had to be censored.

But yet we see this "objectionable content" in american cartoons. That's okay for it to be in american cartoons, but not in japanese animation!?

Double Standard.


Well, it isn't just anime. Underlying many American standards are strong puritanical beliefs. It isn't always obvious, but you see these belief play out in the way the FCC and MPAA operate. And one of those puritanical beliefs is sexuality is worse than violence. Sailor Moon made these conservatives uncomfortable, so it had to be whittled down to what they thought anime--hell all animation--should be: stuff for kids.
3230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

deadpanditto wrote:

Well, it isn't just anime. Underlying many American standards are strong puritanical beliefs. It isn't always obvious, but you see these belief play out in the way the FCC and MPAA operate. And one of those puritanical beliefs is sexuality is worse than violence. Sailor Moon made these conservatives uncomfortable, so it had to be whittled down to what they thought anime--hell all animation--should be: stuff for kids.



Please don't turn this into a political thread. Keep the political views out of it.
48386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/17/12
I *casually* hinted to the husband how they re-released the SM manga to make it more accurate and he knows I'm a super stickler for accuracy and how they're quite affordable-- even free shipping!

***washes laundry with extra vigor in attempt to impress upon him how much I deserve a few mangas of my original favorite***
3230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

I *casually* hinted to the husband how they re-released the SM manga to make it more accurate and he knows I'm a super stickler for accuracy and how they're quite affordable-- even free shipping!

***washes laundry with extra vigor in attempt to impress upon him how much I deserve a few mangas of my original favorite***


*sigh* I wish I had a lady in my life......she'd be my "Usako"

Anywho, I started reading the #4 release of the redone manga yesterday. It just came out this week!
48386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

squirrel3d wrote:


EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

I *casually* hinted to the husband how they re-released the SM manga to make it more accurate and he knows I'm a super stickler for accuracy and how they're quite affordable-- even free shipping!

***washes laundry with extra vigor in attempt to impress upon him how much I deserve a few mangas of my original favorite***


*sigh* I wish I had a lady in my life......she'd be my "Usako"

Anywho, I started reading the #4 release of the redone manga yesterday. It just came out this week!


You just have to find a non-otaku and slowlyyyy convert her I don't think my husband even remembers anymore that he used to TORMENT me when I'd try to watch anime, that's why I didn't even bother to try for years. All I can say is "Thank you Balsa... thank you" because my husband totally loves Balsa from Moribito... He found that one all on his own... made it much easier to be like "Heyyyy, look at all this other awesome stuff I have ;) ;)"

Besides, there's something to be said for "I want this, and I don't have to confer with anyone." >.> I can't get a job because of a crappy economy, and thus am at the mercy of He-Who-Makes-The-Paycheck. And it SUCKS.

And if anime hasn't taught you anything else, hasn't it at least shown you that women are complete and utter trouble?!?! Oh good lord... Honestly, I'm glad to be married and kidded... because dude I was all sorts of crazy trouble!!!! bwahahahahahahaha
68068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Latyfa wrote:

You fail to take in to account the time slot that the show was airing, the tv restrictions of the time, what was seen as acceptable to show at that time, the target audience, the fact that most kids who were watching wouldn't care that Usagi's name was changed to Serena. I didn't care that they changed the ending of the first season to make it seem like the other senshi didn't die. Looking back on it I still don't care. I was lucky enough to get to keep watching it after my parents saw the outfits that they were wearing after their transformations.

I'm not going to say they didn't change it. I'm not going to say that now that I'm older I wouldn't like to see it re-dubbed without such changes. However, I do wish people would stop giving DiC such fuss about the changes that were made in order for them to present it to the US audience and to make a profit. As you can see by the number of fans it's not like those changes made it so that people hated the series.

And since I'm tired I will leave the rest up to this: http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17941&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=9f9951d1699b2fa8ce2d6149aac2acf5


Ok well first off wow YES!!! People seem to have forgotten all of those things. This was on at 3 o'clock or something right after you got out of school and in the early mornings it was aimed at young girls on a cartoon segment whose most controversial airing was loony toons lol. Honestly I have never gotten into sailor moon but I will say this, the mistakes of the past were there for a good reason. Anime would never have gotten nearly as much attention if they didn't at least have a few semi-succesful series first. Anyways, thanks for the history lesson it was refreshing to see.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.