First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
20 Years Ago, she punished you in the name of the moon!
350 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 3/19/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


Marionetta wrote:

I used to have all of the Pokemon comics. They were confusing. But of course, I was 9 and I grew up on the tv show.


I actually have few pokemon comics myself. I have #1-#4 of the original comic books and #1 of Pokemon ?S? (It could be a 5, but looks more like an S...)


I was confused by the insane amount of Japanese culture in the comics. I didn't really understand it because I didn't know a lot about Japan back then. I was rather new to anime/manga when I was a kid.
Latyfa 
32446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/19/12

squirrel3d wrote:


Latyfa wrote:

As a person who grew up in the time that Sailor Moon was released (and to other butchered) in the US, I will have to say your rant is not uncommon and has been addressed many times over the years as I'm sure you know. Why you have to bring this up I don't know but if you're going to post the changes that were made please post the reasons that they were made, including if you will the reason that we ended up with Sailor Moon Says.

You fail to take in to account the time slot that the show was airing, the tv restrictions of the time, what was seen as acceptable to show at that time, the target audience, the fact that most kids who were watching wouldn't care that Usagi's name was changed to Serena. I didn't care that they changed the ending of the first season to make it seem like the other senshi didn't die. Looking back on it I still don't care. I was lucky enough to get to keep watching it after my parents saw the outfits that they were wearing after their transformations.

I'm not going to say they didn't change it. I'm not going to say that now that I'm older I wouldn't like to see it re-dubbed without such changes. However, I do wish people would stop giving DiC such fuss about the changes that were made in order for them to present it to the US audience and to make a profit. As you can see by the number of fans it's not like those changes made it so that people hated the series.

As for the voices, since I'm assuming you've seen the Japanese versions and the English versions like I have, I find that both of them had equally annoying voices (I'm an equal opportunity person when it comes to finding voices annoying. I don't just give the Japanese a pass because they are the original VAs like some people I've talked to.).

I find things like this tiring, and I don't know why I keep responding to these things. I've had to deal with this for going on 8 years now and quite frankly it frustrates me. Just be happy that we got to see it at all instead of complaining about how we got to see it.

And since I'm tired I will leave the rest up to this: http://sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17941&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=9f9951d1699b2fa8ce2d6149aac2acf5



I have seen both versions of the anime. I have also went over that link you presented there as well, and some of the points are valid.

However...

1) What was the point in cutting out Minako's episode from the "classic" season? I've seen it countless times and I have not found one thing in it that could be offensive.

2) The violence issue. So even though we've seen slapping in just about 50% of the cartoons we've grown up with, this is somehow a horrible thing for children to see?

3) The BGM. CWi had enough sense to keep the original BGM, DiC did not. Why would you change it in the first place? If it ain't broke don't fix it?

4) I'll mention this part of my post again, the changing of the majority of the attack phrases. Jupiter Thunderclap Zap??

5) How come Hotaru and the majority of other characters introduced since S keeps their names but the other three outers don't?

6) Probably the biggest one. Many folks that only saw the dub are wondering what happens after that last episode of SuperS. They would come to find out through the magic that is the internet that a 5th season was released long ago featuring three new sailor senshi who are...*gasp* dudes in civilian forms! And what's this....sailor senshi as enemies too? The whole show feels so much more mature now!! Ohhh the horror of it all! We can't show this on american children's TV!!


There are others that are on the tip of my mind. You can beat around this all you want, but these are inexcusable reasons that cannot be avoided. They just can't be. Especially number 6, and CWi should've known what they were getting into when they started dubbing S and SuperS long ago, knowing that the anime was long since finished in early 1997 with that Stars season.


But given the sales of the re-released manga, where kodansha finally listened to (at the risk of coming off elitist..) the real fans such as myself who's been screaming for years a true translation of this series done right, staying with the original source, and even bringing over Codename: Sailor V for the first time. Look at the sales of the manga. This whole franchise just got a new lease on life and it's only a matter of time before a company like Funimation comes along and the anime version receives the same treatment as the manga. DVD/digital only of course.

We can keep going with this discussion, but of course we can also talk about memories, favorites, merch, etc.



Sorry I haven't responded. I actually lost the thread there for a while and I actually didn't want to get into another Sailor Moon debate too heavily since I'm tired of laying out reasons to whiny people.

1) I don't know why they removed it, but I've seen it since I do own the uncut series that ADV released and have to say that it was no loss on my part as a child watching it; I knew Mina wasn't local and that was that. Now that I'm older it gives me some insight in to the character, but as a kid I didn't care. There has been some theories thrown here and there over the years that episodes like that were removed and others jammed together so that they could fit a specific episode count, but I haven't given it too much thought and research so I'm not going to say any more on it than that.

2) At the time slot that it was on, it wasn't uncommon to have series where people who hurt other people edit out the actual contact because as kids we were all being told not to hit others. You say it was an "inexcusable reason", but it's a reason I'm grateful for because I was allowed to watch it because of the "lack" of shown violence. So apparently I watched the other 50% of cartoons that you mentioned, the ones with no slapping.

3) As for the background music, I have nothing to say. I like both versions' background music. I liked the fact that I could understand the English ones and sing along. If they're going to market to children they at least are going to do something so they can sell other stuff with it, and I still have my tape of Sailor Moon music so apparently it worked for me. Also, I don't think it was quite as common as now to try and get the background music for series. The same thing could be said, and is said, about the DBZ music. Bartering for the series is expensive, and then having to barter with another company for the music also takes more time. It wouldn't surprise me if in those days they didn't just barter for the series and leave the music in Japan where it was understood.

4) Yes, because "Moon Tiara Magic", "Jupiter Thunderclap Zap", "Mercury Bubbles Blast", etc just totally took away from the story line of the series. I have no clue how I managed to understand what was going on when she said "Mars Fire Ignite" instead of "Fire Soul".

5) As for the names, the dubbing company was looking to have names that kids could remember and distinguish. When you throw Makoto, Minako, Mamoru, Michiru together it becomes difficult for kids to distinguish who is being talked about. So changing it to Lita, Mina, Darien, and Michelle just works and makes sense to me and worked for me as a kid. Honestly I still have a hard time when I watch series that have similar sounding names because I spend much of my time trying to remember who's who (and separate them from other characters I know with the same name), so much so that in the end I don't care what the character's names is anymore. I can watch a 52 episode series and come out in the end only knowing one or two names and I hate that feeling. So if they change the name I don't care, it doesn't take away from the story that is being told. Hotaru was an easy name to remember, Usagi was not relatable but Serena was. If you're complaing because Ami is spelled Amy and Rei is spelled Raye then I have nothing to say.

6) The fact that you put "mature" and "children's TV" in the same section should prove the point of your complaint. Not only would the outfits of the Star Fighters have to be heavily censored if shown, but the fact that they are male and then female would've been censored too and I can just imagine what your complaints would've been like if they had done so. I think something along the lines of them all being twins and when the Star Fighters went to transform the female twins were switched places with them for the fighting. Can't you see that your petty complaints about names of attacks and characters (because they are petty) would pale in comparison to the complaints that you would have if STARS came over instead of just complaining that it never did come over? Because if they were going to air it in the same time slot that Sailor Moon was aired in it would've had to be censored.

As for you other complaints you can give them to me. I guarantee I won't "beat around" them. I may answer with a sarcastic remark because I feel like you are a three year old crying because the candy your parents gave you turned out to be sugar free when you were looking for the sugar, but I will address them.

As for you hint that because I find no problem with what was done to the dub I am not a "real fan" I will have to say that I will let you think what you want. I see myself as a fan that is mature in my understanding and acceptance of what was done and finds no reason to complain about it. Would I like to see it redone? Yes. If it gets redone will I buy it? Of course. Have I spoken over the years on my want for a redone adaptation true to the Japanese? Yes. Have I spoken in a way that makes me sound like a petulant child? No. I have always shown my appreciation for what was available to me at the time and with the social and governmental restrictions that were in place.

Unfortunately, you and all the people who complain and complain about the Sailor Moon dub want to talk about my memories as if they are trash. So I will not oblige in talking about why Serena was my favorite scout, but character-wise Amy was the one I liked. I won't oblige in talking about why Sailor Mar's English attacks were my favorite. The title of "inexcusable reasons" which you gave to your list of complaints are in fact excusable because they were done, and they were done for a reason. If you find that you can't excuse it, please don't apply what you find inexcusable to all fans' thinking.

I will say no more on this thread because I have given my facts, which you do not wish to accept, and I have reduced myself to petulant sarcasm. So any more discourse on this matter from me will not be useful.
3230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/12 , edited 3/19/12

Latyfa wrote:

As for you other complaints you can give them to me. I guarantee I won't "beat around" them. I may answer with a sarcastic remark because I feel like you are a three year old crying because the candy your parents gave you turned out to be sugar free when you were looking for the sugar, but I will address them.

As for you hint that because I find no problem with what was done to the dub I am not a "real fan" I will have to say that I will let you think what you want. I see myself as a fan that is mature in my understanding and acceptance of what was done and finds no reason to complain about it. Would I like to see it redone? Yes. If it gets redone will I buy it? Of course. Have I spoken over the years on my want for a redone adaptation true to the Japanese? Yes. Have I spoken in a way that makes me sound like a petulant child? No. I have always shown my appreciation for what was available to me at the time and with the social and governmental restrictions that were in place.

Unfortunately, you and all the people who complain and complain about the Sailor Moon dub want to talk about my memories as if they are trash. So I will not oblige in talking about why Serena was my favorite scout, but character-wise Amy was the one I liked. I won't oblige in talking about why Sailor Mar's English attacks were my favorite. The title of "inexcusable reasons" which you gave to your list of complaints are in fact excusable because they were done, and they were done for a reason. If you find that you can't excuse it, please don't apply what you find inexcusable to all fans' thinking.

I will say no more on this thread because I have given my facts, which you do not wish to accept, and I have reduced myself to petulant sarcasm. So any more discourse on this matter from me will not be useful.



Now you act like me and everyone else attacked you personally as a fan of sailor moon. Last I checked no one else here was even addressing you in their posts, just me quoting their posts and showing you what the other people were saying...pretty much speaking the same way I am about the english dub.

I'm not even gonna bother listing the rest of them because 1) With the success of the redone manga (with all the original names, attacks, etc intact!) there's gonna eventually be a redone english version of the anime too. Making these attacks against the dub moot. And 2) After reading the part about the violence and what you were allowed to watch...while I agree that kids shouldn't watch anything too violent, though in this case the political side of me was detecting something here with the slapping cut out and things that I won't break my own rule in this thread and get into it.

At this point I don't even care that you like the dub, knowing this anime is getting redone soon and I no longer call it "my 2nd worst anime dub of all time" (Cardcaptor Sakura is #1 on my list and that's a whoooole different discussion for another day).

The points I was making came from the prospective of a guy who isn't into the whole anime culture all that much, not to mention the point of view of a casual average joe/jane fan who I always heard for years say all this crap about Sailor Moon that wasn't true. I knew most of them never saw it, but the problem is that they only had this dub to watch and could easily pick it apart the way they did. I know this because I used to be one of them, and I still get weird looks for even mentioning I like sailor moon.

Though I need to ask....

Have you read any of the redone manga yet?
51174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/21/12

squirrel3d wrote:

...knowing this anime is getting redone soon...


^ Is that actually confirmed?! Because if it IS confirmed, I feel some trepidation that it could turn out horrible... On the other hand, the Evangelion reboots are actually pretty awesome, they could wind up being brilliant--Sailor Moon has probably always been my favorite artwork, so seeing it bigger, better, and more accurate than before is a pretty exciting thought!!!
3230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


squirrel3d wrote:

...knowing this anime is getting redone soon...


^ Is that actually confirmed?! Because if it IS confirmed, I feel some trepidation that it could turn out horrible... On the other hand, the Evangelion reboots are actually pretty awesome, they could wind up being brilliant--Sailor Moon has probably always been my favorite artwork, so seeing it bigger, better, and more accurate than before is a pretty exciting thought!!!



No it has not been confirmed.....yet. I was throwing out a very confident prediction based on the sales of the redone manga. I really hope I'm right on this one.
13310 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
somewhere in neve...
Offline
Posted 4/5/12
I love this series! One of the first animes I got to watch as a kid XD
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.