First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Does anyone still buy physical DVD collections?
bhl88 
60521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/19/12
With a very big collection? I'd share it with the future generations :p
39878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / San Francisco
Online
Posted 3/20/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

Now that the shock has worn off, I do have a couple of questions! :)

1. Do you still have a working Laser Disc player? You mentioned an actual LD store, so I'm /guessing/ that finding a working one or getting one serviced is possible through them??

2. VHS-- Do/did you also collect anime on VHS? Or did you skip right past that due to the availability of LD?

3. With a collection that large, is/are there any anime that you watch over and over, and if so, what is it? (or alternately, any manga that you have read several times??)


1. Yes, I do have working Laser Disc player. That LD store doesn't do home electronics servicing. It sells Japanese antiques and cultural items. It just happen to have whole bunch of unsold 90's anime LDs and out-of-print anime DVD titles. I guess Ebay is only place where you can find LD player for $50 and up. Mine is just LD/CD karaoke player.

2. I started with anime VHS, but they're fansub copies. Actually I bought only one dubbed anime VHS called "Heroic Legend of Arslan" from Central Park Media. However, I skipped to LD because picture quality and functions were better than VHS.

3. For repeat anime watch, here are my favorites
Memories(anthology anime movie)
Vision of Escalfowne
Macross Plus
Gundam 0083
Please Save my Earth
Trava Fista Planet (Predecessor to recent Red Line anime movie),
Ghibli Short Shorts (Studio Ghibli short film collection),
Serial Experiment Lain
Perfect Blue
Princess Mononoke

I skipped a lot of 2000~2009 titles because I was renting DVDs and only handful of them are great.

Repeat Manga would be...
Yotsuba & !
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Mushishi
Moyashimon (they need to print more volumes)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Samurai Executioner
Berserk
Bride's Story
Inu Baka



51268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/21/12

bhl88 wrote:

Was looking for Robotech DVD but I don't know where to start looking for one... actually I just want Macross (wish Bandai Visual would give the box license to someone).... not Robotech...

Anyway I wish someone would help me get rid of the Lucky Star DVD, Akira Blu-Ray and Nausicaa BD/DVD hybrid that I have...

I forgot to mention my CLANNAD Blu-Ray for $50 (it's dubbed unlike the box CLANNAD).


Macross... hmm... I do believe I have seen that... i think around the same time I watched... ... ... ... ... Kimera?? WOW I didn't even remember than anime until you mentioned Macross--how odd!!

I can't remember any specifics... but I'm pretty positive I watched and enjoyed Macross very much!

There are many anime I wish they would license to companies that will actually DO something with them!!!
Kicchu 
32846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Online
Posted 3/21/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


Kicchu wrote:

Yeah, I have a DSi XL, too, though now there's the 3DS. ^^;; I'll probably hold off on getting that until a new Pokemon is made for it. XD

Hahah, really? XD Though I usually think of it as being "funny" rather than "cute". XD I've wanted to draw on my nephews face for a while now, but my mom won't let me. ^^;
lol I'm 23 and I still go to the movies with my mom. It's either that or I go by myself, but my mom usually wants to see the movie I want to see anyways.

They did leave it with an open ending, but if you read the manga, it's clearly impossible to make a sequel since they deviated from the original story too much. The only way they could make a sequel is if it's an anime only story. Heck, Raki STILL hasn't met up with Clare in the most recent volume released in English(volume 19), and the anime ended in volume 11.

I've never even dated and am perfectly okay with that, so I think my dream of eventually living alone will happen someday. lol But at least you have a good landlord, huh? I hear all kinds of crazy things from the people I work with(so much drama at work. >.< )

Yeah, though hopefully it's just for the moment. I'm still holding out that the Japanese studio will finally share Sailor Moon with Funimation eventually and they'll bring over Stars. TT___TT I can dream...


That blasted 3DS... I /kindasorta/ want one... I think there's maybe like 1-2 titles I'm interested in, but not enough for me to buy /another/ Nintendo hand held... I LOVELOVELOVELOVE my DSi XL (again, bad eyesight--it's pretty much a must for me!!!!) and I don't think I could go back to a teeny weeny screen.... But the price of that 3DS is WAY tempting... I've debated "upgrading my son's" (that's code for "Mommy wants a 3DS") to the 3DS but I'm still really on the fence about it!!!!

Jigglypuff definitely pokes my cute nerve more than my funny nerve... ^_^ I've been in love with that mildly evil cute little pink puff (sorry Kirby!) since the first time I saw "The Song of Jigglypuff" episode of Pokemon ♥♥♥♥♥

The only movie my mom wanted to go see in the movie theater in the past 15 years was "The Devil Wears Prada" haha (lovethatmovie!), which we did go see together ♥
She kinda hates movies X____X ... and everything else, but that's neither here nor there hahahahahaha

As for Claymore... well, I can just hope and dream I guess!!! haha

A good landlord is the difference between happiness and misery!!! (Seriously... I've dealt with slumlords!!!!)

UG I tried to look up Stars last night... The ones that I could find with the right region code... I'm just not so sure they're legal and authorized copies... The only ones I saw that looked legit were not our country code ;_;


I agree that I like my DSi XL for the nice large screen. I think I'll hold off from getting a 3DS until they do make the move of transferring Pokemon games onto them. That alone would make me buy one(after all, I first bought a gameboy color to prepare for Pokemon red, then a gameboy advance for the next stage of Pokemon, then a DS for Pokemon once again. XD Then the charge went bad in my regular DS, which allowed me to get my DSi XL )

lol I think Jigglypuff can be a little creepy, too... I don't know why, but something about it could scare me in a dark alley. ^^;

Ah, that sucks(or maybe not, depending on of you like going to movies with your mom). My mom likes getting out of the house or just relaxing with a movie now and then. She says she doesn't like anime that much, though, despite her liking a few I've shown her. <.< (Though most of my anime she'd probably find offensive to her sensitive morals lol... )

I kind of hope they do a remake for Claymore instead, but I hope that comes after the series ends so that they can actually have a true final. :3 That would be awesome!

So I've heard. ^^;

Yeah, it's not available in the US. Currently there's no way to legally purchase it here, unless you import it, sadly.
29575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/21/12
Hmm, the person who started this thread has both videotapes of Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals. All I can say about that series is that I'm glad it was short.

Regrettably, I don't have a working VCR at this time. It's the only legit way to watch some forgotten classics and deservedly forgotten stinkers. (My life would be substantially improved by watching Ringing Bell. And I think I'd get a lot of amusement from watching Warriors of the Wind, or perhaps Macron-1.)

Never had an LD player or a VCD player.

My DVD collection is still growing. I have found some genuine quality shows in used media stores for cheap prices. And I have been supporting today's companies with occasional purchases.

Haven't been paying much attention to streaming shows. If I'm at home, I will occasionally play a streaming series on a computer as background noise. But that's only when I'm not using the computer to focus on web browsing.
bhl88 
60521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/21/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


bhl88 wrote:

Was looking for Robotech DVD but I don't know where to start looking for one... actually I just want Macross (wish Bandai Visual would give the box license to someone).... not Robotech...

Anyway I wish someone would help me get rid of the Lucky Star DVD, Akira Blu-Ray and Nausicaa BD/DVD hybrid that I have...

I forgot to mention my CLANNAD Blu-Ray for $50 (it's dubbed unlike the box CLANNAD).


Macross... hmm... I do believe I have seen that... i think around the same time I watched... ... ... ... ... Kimera?? WOW I didn't even remember than anime until you mentioned Macross--how odd!!

I can't remember any specifics... but I'm pretty positive I watched and enjoyed Macross very much!

There are many anime I wish they would license to companies that will actually DO something with them!!!


I plan to get the Macross Box when I get enough money....
51268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/22/12

caddyalan wrote:

Hmm, the person who started this thread has both videotapes of Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals. All I can say about that series is that I'm glad it was short.

Regrettably, I don't have a working VCR at this time. It's the only legit way to watch some forgotten classics and deservedly forgotten stinkers. (My life would be substantially improved by watching Ringing Bell. And I think I'd get a lot of amusement from watching Warriors of the Wind, or perhaps Macron-1.)

Never had an LD player or a VCD player.

My DVD collection is still growing. I have found some genuine quality shows in used media stores for cheap prices. And I have been supporting today's companies with occasional purchases.

Haven't been paying much attention to streaming shows. If I'm at home, I will occasionally play a streaming series on a computer as background noise. But that's only when I'm not using the computer to focus on web browsing.



Haha, I do own that and 2 working VCRs. I remember enjoying Final Fantasy, though I haven't watched it in probably 12 years. I only remember 1 tiny sliver of it, and absolutely nothing else. Can't even tell you if I watched in Japanese or English. So I don't know if I would have the same opinion now as I did then... but now that you mention it, it's so short, I should probably do that, huh?? lol

If you're looking for a VCR, I bet a garage sale or flea market would be a prime place to find one--probably cheaper at a garage sale though!

Oh wow, that's the movie that made Hayao Miyazaki institute the "no cuts" policy!! I do not believe I have ever seen it, but I'd say that's a pretty cool thing to have!!

I stream, but rarely on the computer. I have a Roku(http://www.roku.com/); it lets you watch streaming shows on your television. Red, white, yellow connections or you can get an HDMI cord if you have an HDTV. I absolutely love mine, actually have 3 of them. Crunchyroll has a channel, that was actually one of the biggest draws for me. There are free channels (Crackle), pay channels (Netflix, HuluMinus), and some channels, like Crunchyroll, that some content is free, and some content is pay.
79381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/22/12
DVD??????? WHAT AGE DO YOU LIVE IN??????

IT IS CALLED: BLU-RAY DISC
66790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ???????? ?? ?????
Offline
Posted 3/22/12
Haven't seen VHS in a long time. That's old school. I still collect DVDs and Blu-ray anime collections. Have a very large collection in fact. Think I just got rid of most of my VHS stuff about 5-6 months back. Still have a few VHS left but not many (mostly because they are rare/hard to find titles now)
51268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/23/12

Kicchu wrote:

I agree that I like my DSi XL for the nice large screen. I think I'll hold off from getting a 3DS until they do make the move of transferring Pokemon games onto them. That alone would make me buy one(after all, I first bought a gameboy color to prepare for Pokemon red, then a gameboy advance for the next stage of Pokemon, then a DS for Pokemon once again. XD Then the charge went bad in my regular DS, which allowed me to get my DSi XL )

lol I think Jigglypuff can be a little creepy, too... I don't know why, but something about it could scare me in a dark alley. ^^;

Ah, that sucks(or maybe not, depending on of you like going to movies with your mom). My mom likes getting out of the house or just relaxing with a movie now and then. She says she doesn't like anime that much, though, despite her liking a few I've shown her. <.< (Though most of my anime she'd probably find offensive to her sensitive morals lol... )

I kind of hope they do a remake for Claymore instead, but I hope that comes after the series ends so that they can actually have a true final. :3 That would be awesome!

So I've heard. ^^;

Yeah, it's not available in the US. Currently there's no way to legally purchase it here, unless you import it, sadly. :(


We have wandered far off topic here, lol, gonna try to reel this back in!

I have not seen Claymore in Japanese, I would really like to before I decide to add it to my collection. Either a second season (I'm sure they could make a workaround somehow) or completely redone show would definitely be awesome!!!

Eventually I have to go out to the garage, I think there might be some more anime tapes out there, hidden away in yet another container...

I'm not even gonna look at imports right now... it's just make jealous!! >.<
39071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / NE
Online
Posted 3/23/12
If I could get subtitled eps off of iTunes, probably, and if more distributors put their series for online or electronic distribution. Otherwise, I'll keep buying dvd/bluray. Plus I don't have to worry about a freak thunderstorm wiping out my collection by frying my external hard drive.
51268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/23/12

yuma1234 wrote:
1. Yes, I do have working Laser Disc player. That LD store doesn't do home electronics servicing. It sells Japanese antiques and cultural items. It just happen to have whole bunch of unsold 90's anime LDs and out-of-print anime DVD titles. I guess Ebay is only place where you can find LD player for $50 and up. Mine is just LD/CD karaoke player.

2. I started with anime VHS, but they're fansub copies. Actually I bought only one dubbed anime VHS called "Heroic Legend of Arslan" from Central Park Media. However, I skipped to LD because picture quality and functions were better than VHS.

3. For repeat anime watch, here are my favorites
Memories(anthology anime movie)
Vision of Escalfowne
Macross Plus
Gundam 0083
Please Save my Earth
Trava Fista Planet (Predecessor to recent Red Line anime movie),
Ghibli Short Shorts (Studio Ghibli short film collection),
Serial Experiment Lain
Perfect Blue
Princess Mononoke

I skipped a lot of 2000~2009 titles because I was renting DVDs and only handful of them are great.

Repeat Manga would be...
Yotsuba & !
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Mushishi
Moyashimon (they need to print more volumes)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Samurai Executioner
Berserk
Bride's Story
Inu Baka


Awesome for having a working one!! I can't foresee myself going into LD collecting anytime soon, lol, but that's really really cool!! I have not seen any of those, save Princess Mononoke, but if the opportunity arises, I will certainly watch them! If I had the chance, I would probably read Mushishi, I really liked the show!!
51268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/23/12

volcan_98 wrote:

If I could get subtitled eps off of iTunes, probably, and if more distributors put their series for online or electronic distribution. Otherwise, I'll keep buying dvd/bluray. Plus I don't have to worry about a freak thunderstorm wiping out my collection by frying my external hard drive.


I haven't bought any digital content, not that I'm opposed to it, but it would have to be the only way to get it for me to consider it an option!

Look at how long the VHS tapes have held up!!! I'm not too worried about the DVDs/Blu-rays somehow becoming unwatchable!! Digital content, on the other hand... can't trust them not to remove the download, as someone pointed out!!!
2532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/23/12

Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:

forever yes i need to switch to bluray but I will always buy anime dvd's for series I love.



Wow, that picture just made me re-download toradora.

39878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / San Francisco
Online
Posted 3/23/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


yuma1234 wrote:
1. Yes, I do have working Laser Disc player. That LD store doesn't do home electronics servicing. It sells Japanese antiques and cultural items. It just happen to have whole bunch of unsold 90's anime LDs and out-of-print anime DVD titles. I guess Ebay is only place where you can find LD player for $50 and up. Mine is just LD/CD karaoke player.

2. I started with anime VHS, but they're fansub copies. Actually I bought only one dubbed anime VHS called "Heroic Legend of Arslan" from Central Park Media. However, I skipped to LD because picture quality and functions were better than VHS.

3. For repeat anime watch, here are my favorites
Memories(anthology anime movie)
Vision of Escalfowne
Macross Plus
Gundam 0083
Please Save my Earth
Trava Fista Planet (Predecessor to recent Red Line anime movie),
Ghibli Short Shorts (Studio Ghibli short film collection),
Serial Experiment Lain
Perfect Blue
Princess Mononoke

I skipped a lot of 2000~2009 titles because I was renting DVDs and only handful of them are great.

Repeat Manga would be...
Yotsuba & !
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
Mushishi
Moyashimon (they need to print more volumes)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Samurai Executioner
Berserk
Bride's Story
Inu Baka


Awesome for having a working one!! I can't foresee myself going into LD collecting anytime soon, lol, but that's really really cool!! I have not seen any of those, save Princess Mononoke, but if the opportunity arises, I will certainly watch them! If I had the chance, I would probably read Mushishi, I really liked the show!!


You can find DVD copies of all my favorites except Trava Fist Planet and Ghibli Short Shorts (they are Japanese R2 DVD's). Other titles are either going or gone out print due to Bandai and Geneon downsizing. However, you might find some of them as used.

Mushishi is great relaxing show. Manga ends at vol.9 and Del Rey released vol. 7,8.and 9 into one book.
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.