First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Does anyone still buy physical DVD collections?
1007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
For anime, I will always prefer the hard copy above the digital stuff but I don't really mind things like Crunchyroll (although watching anime with a site like this and a dvd is a whole different experience...)
I can't say the same for digital manga. You'd have to put a gun to my head before you see me reading of a screen.
bhl88 
60515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


bhl88 wrote:

And you support the industry directly by buying straight from them (hard to justify an import without subs or dubs though).


I know that Japan and the US are the same blu-ray code, but the only thing I wanted /that/ badly that I contemplated ordering it from Japan (Gundam 00) didn't have subtitles! ;_; Kinda defeats the point!!!


Yeah I know.... so I check and make sure that they are subbed....

All of the imports I have are subbed (Nanoha, Haruhi, 5 cm per second [11 subtitles], Akira, Nausicaa, Gunbuster.... or dubbed (5 cm per second, Akira and Nausicaa and Haruhi)

Forgot to add Ponyo.
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

MrXarnus wrote:

For anime, I will always prefer the hard copy above the digital stuff but I don't really mind things like Crunchyroll (although watching anime with a site like this and a dvd is a whole different experience...)
I can't say the same for digital manga. You'd have to put a gun to my head before you see me reading of a screen.


The numerous [legal!] avenues available to watch anime are awesome--so many shows we wouldn't know otherwise!! Allows me to make a better decision on what to spend my precious little money on!!! :)

I have to say, I didn't think a Kindle was too special until I saw it out in daylight (my friend has one, I don't)... It looked UNBELIEVABLY good, better maybe even than a /real/ book because the white pages of a real book are certainly bright enough to blind me!! No reflect value whatsoever... Blew my mind...

I'd say it's ideal for outdoor use... indoor... eh, book'll suffice. :)

I never got into manga due to the expense of it, and ebooks are equally un-affordable for me!!! haha

Although if the Deal of the Day would work right, I will soon be the owner of 4 very lovely looking Gundam 00 mangas!!! ^_^
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

bhl88 wrote:

Yeah I know.... so I check and make sure that they are subbed....

All of the imports I have are subbed (Nanoha, Haruhi, 5 cm per second [11 subtitles], Akira, Nausicaa, Gunbuster.... or dubbed (5 cm per second, Akira and Nausicaa and Haruhi)

Forgot to add Ponyo.


Not gonna lie, you totally lost me on the significance of the seconds/subtitles ^_^" But it sounds awesome!!!! I couldn't care less about having the dub on there myself... A working set of subtitles and I'd be a happy lady!!!

Ponyo was cool, but I liked Howl's Moving Castle more!!
22076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
I have three bookcases filled with DVDs, a good 1000 or so discs amassed over the last 10 years. I've sold about 20 series which would have added another 100 discs to the collection. My collection would be large still but I'm British and VAT is a bitch, plus I really like buying artboxes which tend to run up the bills when the series has been OOP for a while ($70 for the Chobits Artbox for example)
9044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/16/12 , edited 3/16/12
If I really like an anime, movie, or music and if it's available, I do prefer and will buy the DVD, Blue-Ray or CD.
bhl88 
60515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/16/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


bhl88 wrote:

Yeah I know.... so I check and make sure that they are subbed....

All of the imports I have are subbed (Nanoha, Haruhi, 5 cm per second [11 subtitles], Akira, Nausicaa, Gunbuster.... or dubbed (5 cm per second, Akira and Nausicaa and Haruhi)

Forgot to add Ponyo.


Not gonna lie, you totally lost me on the significance of the seconds/subtitles ^_^" But it sounds awesome!!!! I couldn't care less about having the dub on there myself... A working set of subtitles and I'd be a happy lady!!!

Ponyo was cool, but I liked Howl's Moving Castle more!! :D


5 cm per second is this one: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B005HZZG9I/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP (subtitled in English, Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Portuguese, etc.)

Though frankly it's even harder to justify an import without subtitles or dub:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B006QRCBG2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327302045&sr=8-3-fkmr0 (Macross)

39876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

bhl88 wrote:


EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


bhl88 wrote:

Yeah I know.... so I check and make sure that they are subbed....

All of the imports I have are subbed (Nanoha, Haruhi, 5 cm per second [11 subtitles], Akira, Nausicaa, Gunbuster.... or dubbed (5 cm per second, Akira and Nausicaa and Haruhi)

Forgot to add Ponyo.


Not gonna lie, you totally lost me on the significance of the seconds/subtitles ^_^" But it sounds awesome!!!! I couldn't care less about having the dub on there myself... A working set of subtitles and I'd be a happy lady!!!

Ponyo was cool, but I liked Howl's Moving Castle more!! :D


5 cm per second is this one: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B005HZZG9I/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP (subtitled in English, Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Portuguese, etc.)

Though frankly it's even harder to justify an import without subtitles or dub:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B006QRCBG2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327302045&sr=8-3-fkmr0 (Macross)


Special Features:

All 36 episodes
a booklet (with staff interviews, pre-production designs from when the creators were working on early series concepts called “Genocidas” and “Megaload/Megaroad”)
a box illustrated by character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto
inner jacket covers illustrated by mechanical artist Hidetaka Tenjin
a music video collection (edited from pachinko and pachi-slo machine footage)
the 30th anniversary special that ran on the Family Gekijō channel
promotional videos from the Macross PlayStation 2 game
the “Macross Special” version of the first two episodes that aired in the original premiere
the original broadcast version of episode 11
the credit-less opening and ending animation sequences
the opening and ending sequences from “Macross Special”
the super-deformed version of the opening sequence
commercials of the time
additional materials
Replicas of the 1983 tome Macross Perfect Memory, the scenario script for the first episode, storyboards (for the opening sequence, episode 1, and episode 27), and a collection of illustrations (from DVDs, LDs, plastic models packages, and elsewhere)




It's always to great to see anime collectors have pride in their collection. You guys are the main reason why domestic anime distribution companies exists.

Regarding bhl88's comment on Macross TV BD box, I would buy it if had a lot of money. Why?

As a Japanese R2 DVD, BD, LD collector (yes I do have R1 DVD's as well), bonus physical materials listed above will never be offered to the U.S. When was the last time any domestic R1 DVD company that offered whole nine yard?

Also its quantity is limited. I'm guessing 5,000 units at most? Super hardcore Macross fans in Japan will buy it for $400 no matter what. Others will buy the regular edition without bells and whistles later on and be content with it.

If I just want Macross DVD's just for subtitles, then I'll buy used subtitled R1 DVD version for less than $20.


2855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F
Offline
Posted 3/17/12
It's so hard to find good anime dvd's here ): but I buy a LOT of manga to make up for it XD
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Unknownfate wrote:

I have three bookcases filled with DVDs, a good 1000 or so discs amassed over the last 10 years. I've sold about 20 series which would have added another 100 discs to the collection. My collection would be large still but I'm British and VAT is a bitch, plus I really like buying artboxes which tend to run up the bills when the series has been OOP for a while ($70 for the Chobits Artbox for example)



Ugg... OOP should be OOPR for "Out Of Price Range" >.> lol A lot of stuff I like is olddd, so OOP is a problem for me too!!

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what "VAT" is??

You should post a picture, I haven't seen anyone's collection to ogle over in a good day or so!!! ^_^ I just think it's so cool seeing what other people are into!!!!! ^_^ As I mentioned in some earlier posts, I don't know a SINGLE other person in real life with an anime collection, so seeing y'alls kinda makes me feel... more normal?! haha

Ahhh, gauging one's normality off of random strangers on an internet forum--the way life was intended to be!!! hahaha
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

bhl88 wrote:

5 cm per second is this one: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B005HZZG9I/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP (subtitled in English, Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Portuguese, etc.)

Though frankly it's even harder to justify an import without subtitles or dub:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B006QRCBG2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327302045&sr=8-3-fkmr0 (Macross)



Ug, I'm a doof, I didn't realize 5cm/sec was a show-haha!!! I thought you were telling me the specific details of the subtitling of disc!!!! I was like WOW where does it say THAT on amazon?!?!?! hahahaha, thank you for clearing that up for me!!!


OHHHH And I was thinking about you last night!!!----about how you wound up with 2 copies of Akira... well now I have a practically brand new copy of Gundam 00 I need to unload because I couldn't resist the Daily Deal!!!!!!!!! >.< Collector's Edition + Manga > Regular Edition
>.<

Macross, my goodness, I think I have actually watched that... about 14 million years ago; I think dinosaurs still roamed the Earth...

That is an outrageous list of special features!!!! O_____O I am fairly certain I have never seen anything with /that/ much stuff on it!!! granted there are a lot of commercials/promotional trailers, but STILL that's pretty awesome.
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

yuma1234 wrote:

It's always to great to see anime collectors have pride in their collection. You guys are the main reason why domestic anime distribution companies exists.

Regarding bhl88's comment on Macross TV BD box, I would buy it if had a lot of money. Why?

As a Japanese R2 DVD, BD, LD collector (yes I do have R1 DVD's as well), bonus physical materials listed above will never be offered to the U.S. When was the last time any domestic R1 DVD company that offered whole nine yard?

Also its quantity is limited. I'm guessing 5,000 units at most? Super hardcore Macross fans in Japan will buy it for $400 no matter what. Others will buy the regular edition without bells and whistles later on and be content with it.

If I just want Macross DVD's just for subtitles, then I'll buy used subtitled R1 DVD version for less than $20.




They seriously need to add a "Like" button for posts, because ^ this is what I'm talking about!!!! And honestly, thank you, because your first sentence makes me feel a WHOLE lot better about the money I poured into anime in the late 19s (<--that's what the kids call it--bwahahahahaha) and early 2000s!!!!

I think I'm gonna start using the phrase "Well back in MY millenium..."

... LD... Is that for Laser Discs?!?! I only ever saw one ONCE, in high school Biology... They were like record-sized DVDs bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

...so wait, you have anime on Laser Disc?!?!?! O.o Pretty please on a picture of that, THAT would truly be something I've never seen before!!!!!! ^_^
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Sudnifisent wrote:

It's so hard to find good anime dvd's here ): but I buy a LOT of manga to make up for it XD


Well, Walmart sells anime that's like /mega/ popular... and as I've just realized, Target's website sells anime too (I'll go to Target's website before I'll buy off Amazon again...), but for the most part, if I want to even /peruse/ an anime section, I need to travel a minimum of 25 miles... :/

I always got horrific sticker shock from manga, haha, most of the reason I never got into it!!! ^_^
Kicchu 
32846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


Kicchu wrote:

Actually, that gba is my nephews. XD Mine is under my desk, instead. ^^;;

Aren't they great? I only wish I would have got them all back then. ;__; I wanted the Pikachu, but I have Pollywhirl, Jigglypuff, Charizard and Mewtwo. I think they also had a togepi, too.. I faintly remember wanting it as well. I only got to watch the first movie in theaters. My mom didn't like Pokemon that much. XDD

When the anime first came out in Japan, I got really obsessed with Claymore, so I started mass buying the manga since I knew the anime had an anime only ending to the point that a sequel would be impossible. TT__TT But it's still really great! I'm really impatient for the 20th volume. ^^

Really? I'm glad, then! I thought for sure no one would be able to read a lot of the titles. ^^ I can't even read Simoun and Blue Drop. XD Though after posting this, I remembered that I forgot to take a pic of my Please Teacher boxset. It's hidden in my manga book shelf, so I forgot. ^^;;;

Me, too! I plan to always live alone, though, so I know I'll (hopefully) have a house filed with my anime, manga, figurines, wall scrolls and other random stuff some day. <33 I wanna build my own library/entertainment room! ^______^

Ah! That's pretty cool, then! I got to watch it all because of my suite mate. I think the Stars arc was one of my favorites(maybe because I just liked Seiya so much? XD )


It's okay, we have 2 GBAs... and I gave my son my DS Lite... because Momma bought herself a DSi XL the day they came out. Momma has priorities!!! haha

Oooh I adore Jigglypuff ♥♥♥ My husband wrote on my face in red sharpie one while I was asleep... it was not as cute as I'd've imagined it'd be >.> I love Togepi too, oh my favorite little egg-y type pokemon!! ^_^ Lol, even by time the first movie came out in the theater, I was a wee old to be going to the movies with my parents... ^_^

As for Claymore, it seemed to me like they left the ending pretty clear that they /would/ make a sequel... Or at least that what I hope!!! ^_^

Lol, well the living alone thing never seemed to pan out for me hahaha, I'm married with a kid, so I have to share (a tiiiiiny!!!) space... We rent a small house, but my landlord is just awesome, and a good landlord is worth their weight in gold!!!

I would definitely like to watch Stars, but for the time being, I do believe that's improbable. :)



Yeah, I have a DSi XL, too, though now there's the 3DS. ^^;; I'll probably hold off on getting that until a new Pokemon is made for it. XD

Hahah, really? XD Though I usually think of it as being "funny" rather than "cute". XD I've wanted to draw on my nephews face for a while now, but my mom won't let me. ^^;
lol I'm 23 and I still go to the movies with my mom. It's either that or I go by myself, but my mom usually wants to see the movie I want to see anyways.

They did leave it with an open ending, but if you read the manga, it's clearly impossible to make a sequel since they deviated from the original story too much. The only way they could make a sequel is if it's an anime only story. Heck, Raki STILL hasn't met up with Clare in the most recent volume released in English(volume 19), and the anime ended in volume 11.

I've never even dated and am perfectly okay with that, so I think my dream of eventually living alone will happen someday. lol But at least you have a good landlord, huh? I hear all kinds of crazy things from the people I work with(so much drama at work. >.< )

Yeah, though hopefully it's just for the moment. I'm still holding out that the Japanese studio will finally share Sailor Moon with Funimation eventually and they'll bring over Stars. TT___TT I can dream...
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / U
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Kicchu wrote:

Yeah, I have a DSi XL, too, though now there's the 3DS. ^^;; I'll probably hold off on getting that until a new Pokemon is made for it. XD

Hahah, really? XD Though I usually think of it as being "funny" rather than "cute". XD I've wanted to draw on my nephews face for a while now, but my mom won't let me. ^^;
lol I'm 23 and I still go to the movies with my mom. It's either that or I go by myself, but my mom usually wants to see the movie I want to see anyways.

They did leave it with an open ending, but if you read the manga, it's clearly impossible to make a sequel since they deviated from the original story too much. The only way they could make a sequel is if it's an anime only story. Heck, Raki STILL hasn't met up with Clare in the most recent volume released in English(volume 19), and the anime ended in volume 11.

I've never even dated and am perfectly okay with that, so I think my dream of eventually living alone will happen someday. lol But at least you have a good landlord, huh? I hear all kinds of crazy things from the people I work with(so much drama at work. >.< )

Yeah, though hopefully it's just for the moment. I'm still holding out that the Japanese studio will finally share Sailor Moon with Funimation eventually and they'll bring over Stars. TT___TT I can dream...


That blasted 3DS... I /kindasorta/ want one... I think there's maybe like 1-2 titles I'm interested in, but not enough for me to buy /another/ Nintendo hand held... I LOVELOVELOVELOVE my DSi XL (again, bad eyesight--it's pretty much a must for me!!!!) and I don't think I could go back to a teeny weeny screen.... But the price of that 3DS is WAY tempting... I've debated "upgrading my son's" (that's code for "Mommy wants a 3DS") to the 3DS but I'm still really on the fence about it!!!!

Jigglypuff definitely pokes my cute nerve more than my funny nerve... ^_^ I've been in love with that mildly evil cute little pink puff (sorry Kirby!) since the first time I saw "The Song of Jigglypuff" episode of Pokemon ♥♥♥♥♥

The only movie my mom wanted to go see in the movie theater in the past 15 years was "The Devil Wears Prada" haha (lovethatmovie!), which we did go see together ♥
She kinda hates movies X____X ... and everything else, but that's neither here nor there hahahahahaha

As for Claymore... well, I can just hope and dream I guess!!! haha

A good landlord is the difference between happiness and misery!!! (Seriously... I've dealt with slumlords!!!!)

UG I tried to look up Stars last night... The ones that I could find with the right region code... I'm just not so sure they're legal and authorized copies... The only ones I saw that looked legit were not our country code ;_;
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.